Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Kick rear end, will it still be in Tennessee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

:psypop:

This is a troll, right?
Um well after loving Anthem which pushed the horn players so far back in the mix they were in a different country, I would take anything as an improvement.

Unless you meant my other comment -- I wasn't saying B&B was their best album, I was saying that's about as far back as I can see them going with their sound/mixing and that's better than nothing. It's not even realistic to think they'd ever go back to putting out albums like Hello Rockview or Losing Streak, so I didn't bother to suggest it.

edit: gently caress it i'll just say it, I think B&B is okay and i don't get why people hate it so much.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 28, 2008

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

Um well after loving Anthem which pushed the horn players so far back in the mix they were in a different country, I would take anything as an improvement.

Unless you meant my other comment -- I wasn't saying B&B was their best album, I was saying that's about as far back as I can see them going with their sound/mixing and that's better than nothing. It's not even realistic to think they'd ever go back to putting out albums like Hello Rockview or Losing Streak, so I didn't bother to suggest it.

edit: gently caress it i'll just say it, I think B&B is okay and i don't get why people hate it so much.

Oh B&B is fine. I love a ton of songs on that cd. It was liking In With The Out Crowd that got the :psypop:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Oh B&B is fine. I love a ton of songs on that cd. It was liking In With The Out Crowd that got the :psypop:
Geez, you're putting words in my mouth. I said that they should continue in the direction of that CD because they're starting to realize that they do in fact have other people in their band other than guitar players and are starting to responsibly produce their album with that in mind.

I actually hate most of the songs on that album but given the quality of "P.S. Shock the World" you can see the potential that they have to turn poo poo completely around.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

mix.lunar posted:

Kick rear end, will it still be in Tennessee?

Yea it's still in Knoxville, it's gonna be at the World's Fair Park and apparently one of the stages is under the SUNDOME or whatever name they have for that giant ball that was in that Simpson's episode. It should be nicer since there'll be grass instead of concrete.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

Geez, you're putting words in my mouth. I said that they should continue in the direction of that CD because they're starting to realize that they do in fact have other people in their band other than guitar players and are starting to responsibly produce their album with that in mind.

I actually hate most of the songs on that album but given the quality of "P.S. Shock the World" you can see the potential that they have to turn poo poo completely around.

Ah when you said "continue in the direction" of that cd I thought you meant turn out more poo poo. But I do agree that more horns = needed and better.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Apparently I misunderstood most of the post as well.

But as for post-production, it's been going in the wrong way since Hello Rockview, in my opinion.

act five
Jul 13, 2007

the industry is a fagfest, rappers wearin they boxers backwards for easy access
Gah, Big D/Catch 22 starts in 5 minutes and my ride still isn't here :(

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
RUN TO THE SHOW LAZLOW, RUN!

act five
Jul 13, 2007

the industry is a fagfest, rappers wearin they boxers backwards for easy access
He just called and said "he'll see what he can do". They'll be back next year, right guys? RIGHT? :smith:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

http://mi145.hobnox.com/sid9iodr9fmdauro31tlmk4edi644/index.html?episode=986

New "Road to the Throwdown"(that happened almost two months ago) is up. Features 5 or 6 songs from the Bosstone's first night back.

Dr. D is such a great song

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
Sorry this took so long...had to install vista the other night anyway

Ska Weekend 2008

JULY 19, 2008
KNOXVILLE, TN
WORLD'S FAIR PARK PERFORMANCE LAWN

You guys better be ready to dance, party, see some great bands, and help out a GREAT cause.

I am donating 100% of the profit to 2nd harvest this year. The more you guys spread the word the better.

ALSO...I will even give you a few band names of the 17 in this email.

THE HITS
FATTER THAN ALBERT
THE TAJ MOTEL TRIO
STEREOHYPE
ROYAL CITY RIOT
CHASE LONG BEACH

many more to come, that is just the first batch of confirmed bands.

Be looking for a new look myspace page too, it is currently under construction.

THERE WILL ALSO BE 2 LOGOS THIS YEAR. One is currently on the page. Yukiko is working on the other, and the design she explained to me is freaking sweet.

PS...Jenn and I are moving back to Nashville this weekend!

So who's going?

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
I would but its in Tennessee and I'm in Pennsylvania. :smith:

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
Saw Streetlight Manifesto at the Boardwalk in Orangevale last night. Completely packed house.

The opener for them, Dan Potthast, was surprisingly hilarious and set a good mood. He had some pretty catchy songs, and I really enjoyed his stuff. I've never heard of him before, I'm excited to see him again if he comes back here someday. He made a pretty good joke about how people said Streetlight Manifesto fans were douchebags.

The second band, Zox... I wasn't a fan of them. They had a fiddle player, which was neat, but I was really indifferent towards them. I hung out and talked with Dan for a bit, and waited for Streetlight to come on.

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of mosh pits. I enjoy a good Skank Pit or a Circle pit, or even a Circle/Skank pit. I never really noticed the kind of people in the crowd until Streetlight came on, and I was pretty saddened in some ways. Anyone who tried to Skank was usually just hit in the side by some guy who wanted to perpetuate the huge pit going on. That's just my personal thing though, it kind of sucked that I couldn't really skank to one of my favorite Ska bands, but either way, Streetlight Manifesto put on a really loving good show. They played a good variety of songs off of both of their albums, but I only noticed one Catch 22 song (Dear Sergio...They didn't play Keasby Nights!).

This was my first time seeing them, and I was not disappointed at all. I was a little weirded out that Thomas Kalnoky...sounds the exact same live. Ususally, vocalists sound just a bit different life, whether it be rawer or a bit more precise, but he just sounded... the same. It was actually pretty cool, but he didn't really put any new inflections on the songs. Just kept playing.

Overall, it was a lot of fun. Singing Down Down Down to Mephisto's Cafι made my night. I just wish the Security Guards at the venue didn't suck (they have a reputation for sucking, and they sure as hell kept it up).

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I've been getting more and more frustrated about not being able to find any good shows here in NYC. You'd think it'd be a kickin' scene, but I'm at a complete loss.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

lessthankyle posted:

I've been getting more and more frustrated about not being able to find any good shows here in NYC. You'd think it'd be a kickin' scene, but I'm at a complete loss.

:what:

The Slackers play there all the time. They're having Slackerfest or whatever there aren't they? With Bomb The Music Industry!.

alvinthegreat
Feb 23, 2008

OniKun posted:

Saw Streetlight Manifesto at the Boardwalk in Orangevale last night. Completely packed house.

Ah, a fellow Sactown skanker. You don't by chance happen to know any local drummers who play ska, do you?

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's

lessthankyle posted:

You guys have The World/Inferno Friendship Society playing around or near there constantly. Feel lucky!

alvinthegreat posted:

Ah, a fellow Sactown skanker. You don't by chance happen to know any local drummers who play ska, do you?

Nope. Sacramento is rather devoid of ska-ish people. People who want to play punk, on the other hand... Well, poo poo. They are everywhere.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

OniKun posted:

The opener for them, Dan Potthast, was surprisingly hilarious and set a good mood. He had some pretty catchy songs, and I really enjoyed his stuff. I've never heard of him before, I'm excited to see him again if he comes back here someday. He made a pretty good joke about how people said Streetlight Manifesto fans were douchebags.

You should listen to MU330, the (kickass) ska band that Potthast has been in since the early 90's. Really fun ska-rock.

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?

OniKun posted:

Oh man, Dan Potthast puts on such a great show. I saw him last year with Flip The Switch (I think, I don't know I'm not a fan, I was there for Dan) at 924 Gilman here in Berkeley. He easily took the show. There were maybe like 20 people there and he started taking requests for Mu330 songs, or whatever songs we really wanted him to play. He's probably the nicest guy in the business today, if you don't count Mike Park. I'm really glad that he moved to the West Coast so I can see him more often.

OniKun posted:

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of mosh pits. I enjoy a good Skank Pit or a Circle pit, or even a Circle/Skank pit. I never really noticed the kind of people in the crowd until Streetlight came on, and I was pretty saddened in some ways. Anyone who tried to Skank was usually just hit in the side by some guy who wanted to perpetuate the huge pit going on. That's just my personal thing though, it kind of sucked that I couldn't really skank to one of my favorite Ska bands, but either way, Streetlight Manifesto put on a really loving good show.

Well, here's the thing. From what I've noticed from going to ska shows for several years (holy poo poo...it's been over 7 years since my first ska show, and I got into ska relatively late in my life...that's weird), is that skank pits or circle pits rarely form outside of small shows or outside of really poppy shows (like Reel Big Fish). If the show is packed, there's not going to be a whole lot of room to form one, and if the show isn't super poppy, kids are going to want to mosh. It kinda sucks, but that's just the way it is. I've started to just dance how I drat well please wherever I can find room. I'm not really into this whole "skank this way or you're doing it wrong" thing that a lot of younger kids seem to be so insistent upon. I've gotten so many weird looks from kids while I jump up and down and flail my arms around in the pit. As far as I'm concerned, ska is dance music, and I'm going to dance how I drat well please to it. Just as long as no one gets hurt or you're not inhibiting anyone else's ability to dance, you're doing it right.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
I don't really feel that Streetlight Manifesto is a skanking band. The more I listen to their music I feel like moshing but I'll listen to Reel Big Fish and want to skank. I don't know, maybe I'm weird.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Mike_V posted:

:what:

The Slackers play there all the time. They're having Slackerfest or whatever there aren't they? With Bomb The Music Industry!.

The Slackers have been in Europe a lot lately playing. I saw them on a Booze Cruise over the summer, but trying to catch them since then has been rare. I've only been here since August, and it's been pretty sparse lately. Regardless of the shows that may or may not be happening, it's more that I can't seem to find any organized listing or site that shows what is coming up. Myspace only seems to show a handful of them, so if anyone knows anything, I'd love to hear it. BTMI also seems to be all over the place a lot more now, they used to do a lot of shows here in the area that I would drive up for, but being split between Atlanta and NYC kinda hinders that I guess.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Time to liven up this thread with some Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra!

I never realized j-ska could reach these levels of awesome until I watched this video of them performing their song Skaravan live.

Look at all the skanking!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R9dWMhSJq0c

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
My band (https://www.myspace.com/thelockup) just signed to "Do The Dog" records!

Do The Dog are one of the UK's larger ska and reggae labels, with some cracking bands on (http://www.dothedog.com/ http://www.myspace.com/dothedogmusic), so we are well pleased with this development.

If anyone fancies seeing us, we are headlining a "Ska Burlesque" show this evening in South London:

The Amersham Arms
388 New Cross Street
London

And we will be playing tomorrow in Reading, Berkshire at The Face Bar, along with Catch It Kebabs, my other band The Brass Monkeys, and some others.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Chipyy posted:

My band (https://www.myspace.com/thelockup) just signed to "Do The Dog" records!
Hey, congratulations!

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Chipyy posted:

Congratulations! You guys sound awesome, maybe we can play some shows together when Taj does our UK tour.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Thanks guys. Josh Wow, friend us up, I'd do it myself but I don't really run our myspace and I can't even remember the password at the moment. Loving your stuff, it's reminding me of Quality Softcore/Duck and Cover era Mad Caddies at the moment.

Heyyyy.. I just read our myspace, it's gone all pretentious! Our Bio used to be funnier than that. :smith:

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Chipyy posted:

Thanks guys. Josh Wow, friend us up, I'd do it myself but I don't really run our myspace and I can't even remember the password at the moment. Loving your stuff, it's reminding me of Quality Softcore/Duck and Cover era Mad Caddies at the moment.

Heyyyy.. I just read our myspace, it's gone all pretentious! Our Bio used to be funnier than that. :smith:

I'll have my guitarist send you a friend request since I don't run our myspace either. We don't have anything planned for the UK tour other than that we want to do it, we'll probably end up over there in the next year or so.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Josh Wow posted:

I'll have my guitarist send you a friend request since I don't run our myspace either.

One of the perks of being in a ska band - so many band members that you can always find something else to do the boring stuff. One the other hand, it does mean you need more than one vehicle to get anywhere and have to share the free beer with more people.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Chipyy posted:

One of the perks of being in a ska band - so many band members that you can always find something else to do the boring stuff. One the other hand, it does mean you need more than one vehicle to get anywhere and have to share the free beer with more people.

We manage to get everywhere in one van but I totally feel you on having to share free pitchers from a gig. Two pitchers of beer last a lot longer between 3 people than between 6-8 people. Maybe I should start a pop-punk band...

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Chipyy posted:

Do The Dog are one of the UK's larger ska and reggae labels, with some cracking bands on (http://www.dothedog.com/ http://www.myspace.com/dothedogmusic), so we are well pleased with this development.

Congrats! I remember listening to you guys back when I was lurking and really liking your stuff, but forgetting the name. Glad to see that you guys are getting up in the world.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Anyone want a ticket to Jacksonville (Florida) Streetlight show? I can't make it and I already got a ticket. It's April 18th at 8PM.

I don't mind sending it to someone if they're certain they can go.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Thornes posted:

Time to liven up this thread with some Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra!

I never realized j-ska could reach these levels of awesome until I watched this video of them performing their song Skaravan live.

Look at all the skanking!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R9dWMhSJq0c

You have to love Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra...name me another band that will even think of using a sousaphone. What I would do to see them live 1 time. Its just to bad that th eonly way to get their cds new is for 20-40 bucks a pop, I feel bad that I had to download all but their full tension beaters cd.

Raxe
Oct 8, 2004
And if we die, before the battle's through, tell your mom, tell your dad we were super rad

Backno posted:

You have to love Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra...name me another band that will even think of using a sousaphone. What I would do to see them live 1 time. Its just to bad that th eonly way to get their cds new is for 20-40 bucks a pop, I feel bad that I had to download all but their full tension beaters cd.

If you don't mind buying music through iTunes, they have Stompin' Down the Beat and Answer up there for 11.99 and 9.99, respectively I believe. I had to purchase these afte Thornes' post because I lost what music of theirs I had a couple years ago. I loved their versions of Lupin the third and Tetris Type A.

As for another band using the sousaphone, Youngblood Brass Band uses one though they aren't a ska band. There might be other brass bands out there that use one as well.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
LTJ, Goldfinger, Big D, and Suburban Legends in Omaha on July 5th, I can't loving wait, :woop:

(LTJ has a bunch of new tour dates up)

4/30 – ROCKETTOWN - NASHVILLE, TN
5/01 – LINCOLN THEATRE – RALEIGH, NC
5/03 – THE BAMBOOZLE – EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ
5/05 - ***CINCO DE MUSTACHE!!*** VALARIUM – KNOXVILLE, TN
5/06 – THE MUSIC FARM – CHARLESTON, SC
6/17 – JANNUS LANDING – ST.

PETERSBURG, FL
6/18 – REVOLUTION – FT.

LAUDERDALE, FL
6/19 – HOUSE OF BLUES – ORLANDO, FL
6/20 - THE MASQUERADE – ATLANTA, GA
6/21 – HOUSE OF BLUES – MYRTLE BEACH, SC
6/22 – THE NORVA – NORFOLK, VA
6/23 – RAMS HEAD LIVE! – BALTIMORE, MD
6/25 – THE PALLADIUM – WORCESTER, MA
6/27 – LUPO’S HEARTBREAK HOTEL – PROVIDENCE, RI
6/29 – PENNS LANDING – PHILADELPHIA, PA
7/01 – ROYAL OAK MUSIC THEATRE – ROYAL OAK, MI
7/02 – CONGRESS THEATRE – CHICAGO, IL
7/03 – FIRST AVENUE – MINNEAPOLIS, MN
7/04 – SUMMERFEST – MILWAUKEE, WI
7/05 – SOKOL AUDITORIUM – OMAHA, NE
7/07 – THE PAGEANT – ST.LOUIS, MO
7/08 – HOUSE OF BLUES – CLEVELAND, OH
7/10 – THE TOWN BALLROOM – BUFFALO, NY
7/11 - HAMPTON BEACH CASINO BALLROOM – HAMPTON BEACH, NH
7/12 – THE CHANCE – POUGHKEEPSIE, NY
7/13 – WATER STREET MUSIC HALL – ROCHESTER, NY
7/14 – TOAD’S PLACE – RICHMOND, VA
7/24 – HOUSE OF BLUES – LAS VEGAS, NV

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Raxe posted:

As for another band using the sousaphone, Youngblood Brass Band uses one though they aren't a ska band. There might be other brass bands out there that use one as well.

Funny that you should mention Youngblood Brass Band. I discovered them through a friend recently and their song Brooklyn is one of the most amazing things I've ever heard.

Adderholt
Jul 1, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Speaking of Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra, does anyone know where you can get any Empty Black Box cds in the US? I know you can have them imported, but that's really pricey.

Raxe
Oct 8, 2004
And if we die, before the battle's through, tell your mom, tell your dad we were super rad

Thornes posted:

Funny that you should mention Youngblood Brass Band. I discovered them through a friend recently and their song Brooklyn is one of the most amazing things I've ever heard.

Yeah, when I listened to most of their stuff right after I heard about them, I was blown away by what they were doing. For some reason, I love The Trilogy vs DJ Skooly, which is a face off between a DJ and three of their members.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

TLG James posted:

LTJ, Goldfinger, Big D, and Suburban Legends in Omaha on July 5th, I can't loving wait, :woop:

(LTJ has a bunch of new tour dates up)
Oh poo poo, a Baltimore date. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

TLG James posted:

6/27 – LUPO’S HEARTBREAK HOTEL – PROVIDENCE, RI

Is this for LTJ, Goldfinger, Big D, AND Suburban Legends? Or just LTJ.

Either way I need a ticket for this.