Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Pissflaps posted:

Where are those two TV stands from? I've seen them before...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

Blakkout posted:

Where are those two TV stands from? I've seen them before...

They look like Ikea's LACK TV unit

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40105340

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

blackmage posted:

Wow. What an amazing space. Floor to ceiling windows on 2 walls is loving awesome, even without looking over a bay/harbour/whatever that is. I shudder to think what a place like that is worth.

Well, since he's looking right at the Millennium Dome, it's in the Docklands somewhere (and therefore horridly expensive).

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Since the last time I posted, I've redone my setup. I purchased a turntable and mounted my TV on the wall. I used to have the cables for the television mounted in the wall, but I took them out to donate something to my neighbor. I'm moving out in two weeks anyhow, so it doesn't even matter.

The heart of the setup. I have a dedicated server in another room for all the media I run through the Xbox. The iMac and it's 20" Samsung companion are used for high definition stuff.

I got that Technics turntable from some dude off of Craigslist for like $50. It's really nice for being older than I am.

My speaker setup. I got these for free, and one day I'll build some new cabinets, as these rattle a lot.

Components:
Chipped Xbox running XBMC
Technics Receiver
19" Sharp 480p LCD
Technics SL-1950
Two Technics 3 component speakers from the 1980s

mikeyio
Mar 1, 2003

From left to right:
B&W 683/B&W ASW610/Panasonic PZ4277u/Mac mini/PS Audio DAC DL-III/PS Audio Trio C-100/PS Audio Quintet/PS3/Xbox 360 Elite

Will probably move all of it here pretty soon and have it a bit more spread out. Also, the sun is not baking down on my TV, the blinds are actually closed, I just had to do some major adjustment in iPhoto to make it even look decent since my camera sucks.

wasp_f15ing
Feb 27, 2004

For once you must try not to shirk the facts: mankind is kept alive by bestial acts
Next month is bonus month ;) So I am thinking of going on a spree. I really need some advice on what to buy next. I struck between two speakers, and I need your audiophile input here.

At the moment I have a Yahama NS100 coming off my Naim Nait3, they sound awesome and I really dont have any complaints, but I do need new speakers and at the moment the two contenders are:-

PMC TB2+

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/product.php?mode=view&pid=171
£850.00

and

Epos M22

£599.99 reduced from £950.00

I have read the reviews etc, but I am not sure the M22s are for my office room. The PMC just looks great and I love the idea of the ATL, I have a Yamaha YST-SW800 cut off at 40hz so this could work out nicely for me. If you have any thoughts about a better Standmount speaker please share them.

I the long run I want an ATC standmount, but I hear they are really hard to drive, so they will have to wait till I get a Quad set up in the future.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

Clown posted:

Well compare my pictures from the first post to these. I decided to quit the PC poo poo because that was just expensive keeping up with the hardware to play the latest games.

Equipment:
TV - Hitachi 32LD7200 - I took the speakers off the side and detached it from the motorised stand.
Amp - Onkyo TX-SR605B - people seem to be raving about this in the other forum and it was only £350.
Speakers - Kef Q5 - stereo only for now.
Other - V+ Box (hdmi), XBox 360 (component), Sony Vaio VGN-FE11S (VGA, mini jack to phono)

I enjoy all of this from my bed, which I use as sort of a sofa.
Well, I finally got round to mounting my projector - pictures of the actual projector coming tomorrow.

Back in the day this was a top top projector. 6 colour daisy wheel and DLP wotsits. HD wasn't really an issue back then so I have to deal with a resolution of 1024x768. If plasma screens can do it, so can I!

My Optoma / Themescene H30

Actually had a problem installing my Vogel mount. The screws into the wall were too long and to top it off my drill bit was slightly distorted. It said 8mm but it was slightly flared at the tip so the hole was too big. Polyfilla was used between the wall plugs (you can probably see some on that cable behind the projector) but doesn't help the long screws. I know you guys are going to ask me why I just didn't drill further in but I seemed to hit a hard spot just behind the wall so I just left it like that. The next problem was that I mashed up the allen key hole to slide the arm up and down the mount. I don't know how to fix that.

So I have my projector mount hanging slightly off the wall and wobbly side to side which isn't ideal. You can see the projector is actually tilted slightly upwards. I'm not sure if its because the mount is tilted downwards or because it is upside down at about standing head height. Suits me fine though because... I HAVE A PROJECTOR RUNNING, WOO.

More pics...

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

blackmage posted:

I shudder to think what a place like that is worth.

£500k apparently. To be honest I thought it would be more.

kri kri posted:

Pissflaps I have I got the Dioder from Ikea for my computer monitor. Honestly just do that Instructables thing, it will save you $30 or 15 pounds or whatever it is.

Yep I think I'm going to go that route. Not too expensive if they end up looking poo poo.

Agedashi Tofu
Jul 27, 2004

I paid money to type stuff here.
Apparently I was having lighting issues when I went to take these, because they look terrible. I was, of course, too lazy to go back downstairs and take new pictures once I noticed this - mainly because I'm sick of my 2nd hand craigslist furniture and will hopefully be posting my new and improved set up sometime next month after I've done some shopping.

Here is the room now:

- Sony XBR4 - 46"
- Low rent Sony receiver (will replace when I actually get surround sound)
- Paradigm Monitor5 speakers
- Sony subwoofer (looking to replace with a Hsu Subwoofer after the furniture re-tool)
- 360/PS3/Wii
- Apple TV
- Harmony One remote (I had to mention it because I love it)

Here's a head on view:

And just for fun, since they were nearby and all, a blurry shot of my headphones:

Also - I promised I'd take some shots with my bais lighting on a few posts back, so here they are. Should be obvious which is which. The pictures really don't do it justice at all, and Iike I'd said before - it doesn't do much for the overall picture quality, but more for how your eyes adjust to light and dark scenes:

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Agedashi Tofu posted:

Apparently I was having lighting issues when I went to take these, because they look terrible. I was, of course, too lazy to go back downstairs and take new pictures once I noticed this - mainly because I'm sick of my 2nd hand craigslist furniture and will hopefully be posting my new and improved set up sometime next month after I've done some shopping.

Here is the room now:

- Sony XBR4 - 46"
- Low rent Sony receiver (will replace when I actually get surround sound)
- Paradigm Monitor5 speakers
- Sony subwoofer (looking to replace with a Hsu Subwoofer after the furniture re-tool)
- 360/PS3/Wii
- Apple TV
- Harmony One remote (I had to mention it because I love it)

Here's a head on view:

And just for fun, since they were nearby and all, a blurry shot of my headphones:

Also - I promised I'd take some shots with my bais lighting on a few posts back, so here they are. Should be obvious which is which. The pictures really don't do it justice at all, and Iike I'd said before - it doesn't do much for the overall picture quality, but more for how your eyes adjust to light and dark scenes:

Nice PenguinAmp. I have one as well. If only I could find my Etymotics I could use it again.

Nice clean looking setup you have there. The furniture doesn't look bad at all. The only problem I see with it is that you couldn't lay down on it with those arms.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Agedashi Tofu posted:

Actually I must say that the craigslist furniture is not bad looking at all. I mean, maybe it is horrible in person or something but as it is I think it looks fine. It works with the space. If anything I would work on hemming the curtains and spicing up the windows and walls.

moondabor
Oct 23, 2003

Nyoro~n MUSASHI
I just got out of college and moved back home. Here's my room/computing center.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I'll show you and your massive chebs the time of your lives you sexy fuck

blackmage posted:

Wow. What an amazing space. Floor to ceiling windows on 2 walls is loving awesome, even without looking over a bay/harbour/whatever that is. I shudder to think what a place like that is worth.

However, I can't help but think he's going to have to invest in some seriously overachieving blinds/curtains if he ever wants to watch tv during the day, to deal with the ridiculous glare that much window is going to create.

Having lived in a very similar development in Docklands I can say that blinds are the easy part! He's about half a mile from the city airport and about 200 metres from the flight path. Noise is a loving bitch in this area.

That apartment is pretty sweet, but it's lacking a balcony and underfloor heating and for £500K I'd want both.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
I'm having a lot of trouble trying to buy furniture for my AV system. This will be going into a living room (white walls with light colored off white carpet) The biggest problem im having is trying to get all my equipment (receiver, xbox 360, cable box, dvd, htpc, record player) to sit in a nice shelving space. I'm finding that the placement of the record player is the toughest as it needs to have overhead clearance to add and replace records. I was thinking about putting it next to the tv (using 2 LACK shelving units from Ikea) (Link to LACK: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00105323) But the OCD in me doesn't want that sitting off to the side while the other side of the AV unit is bare. Any suggestions or pictures of how you've handled this? Also I'm wondering the best way to store my records. I've really started to gain a collection and it would be nice to show case them somewhere in the living room. Any thoughts?

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Twlight posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to buy furniture for my AV system. This will be going into a living room (white walls with light colored off white carpet) The biggest problem im having is trying to get all my equipment (receiver, xbox 360, cable box, dvd, htpc, record player) to sit in a nice shelving space. I'm finding that the placement of the record player is the toughest as it needs to have overhead clearance to add and replace records. I was thinking about putting it next to the tv (using 2 LACK shelving units from Ikea) (Link to LACK: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00105323) But the OCD in me doesn't want that sitting off to the side while the other side of the AV unit is bare. Any suggestions or pictures of how you've handled this? Also I'm wondering the best way to store my records. I've really started to gain a collection and it would be nice to show case them somewhere in the living room. Any thoughts?

You could get a nice audio pier similar to the one posted by Agedashi Tofu a few posts up. I have one that's slightly taller than his, but same design. Works great and you should easily be able to space the shelves to allow record access. The LACK is a nice design as well, and assuming your TV isn't really wide i think a record player on one side and a nice sculpture, picture, flower, etc. on the other would balance things out and look nice and classy.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

.Nathan. posted:

You could get a nice audio pier similar to the one posted by Agedashi Tofu a few posts up. I have one that's slightly taller than his, but same design. Works great and you should easily be able to space the shelves to allow record access. The LACK is a nice design as well, and assuming your TV isn't really wide i think a record player on one side and a nice sculpture, picture, flower, etc. on the other would balance things out and look nice and classy.

I was also thinking for the other side not occupied by the record player having a stand which would showcase what ever record was playing. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Cook-Book-Holder-Silver/dp/B0000X8X4C/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1206554653&sr=1-14

I know its a cook book holder but I'm not sure anyone would know the difference. If there is something cheaper, which im almost positve there is, does anyone know?

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Twlight posted:

Also I'm wondering the best way to store my records. I've really started to gain a collection and it would be nice to show case them somewhere in the living room. Any thoughts?

I use a Lack bookshelf, standing upright with around 30 LPS in each of the top 3 shelves. The bottom shelf is for 7" storage, in one of these Ikea Trissa boxes. The Lack is kind of narrow stood up on end, but it's very sturdy once it's loaded up with records. I haven't bothered and have never had any trouble, but it might not be the worst idea to secure it to the wall at the top if you have kids/pets/drunk people you're worried might pull it over.

If you need more storage than that, the popular choice is the Expedit series of bookcases with storage for ~50 LPs per shelf.

Twlight posted:

I was also thinking for the other side not occupied by the record player having a stand which would showcase what ever record was playing. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Cook-Book-Holder-Silver/dp/B0000X8X4C/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1206554653&sr=1-14

I know its a cook book holder but I'm not sure anyone would know the difference. If there is something cheaper, which im almost positve there is, does anyone know?

Personally I'd be a bit worried on more rare LPs that the steel balls would put indent marks on the jacket. A table-top photo easle from a craft/art supply/frame store would probably be more gentle on the jackets.

Owsla fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 26, 2008

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Owsla posted:

I use a Lack bookshelf, standing upright with around 30 LPS in each of the top 3 shelves. The bottom shelf is for 7" storage, in one of these Ikea Trissa boxes. The Lack is kind of narrow stood up on end, but it's very sturdy once it's loaded up with records. I haven't bothered and have never had any trouble, but it might not be the worst idea to secure it to the wall at the top if you have kids/pets/drunk people you're worried might pull it over.

If you need more storage than that, the popular choice is the Expedit series of bookcases with storage for ~50 LPs per shelf.

Personally I'd be a bit worried on more rare LPs that the steel balls would put indent marks on the jacket. A table-top photo easle from a craft/art supply/frame store would probably be more gentle on the jackets.

I really like the Lack bookshelf, since I'll be using different parts of the Lack I think that it will fit well. Do you have any photos of your LP's inside the lack? I'd like to see how they look.

blackmage
Sep 9, 2006

Agedashi Tofu posted:

I like your A/V shelf unit. Any details on what/where/how much? I shopped around for months, finding only things that were inadequate sizes (too wide, not deep enough), or outrageously overpriced (most starting at $1000). I ended up building my own out of MDF and am fairly pleased with the results, but it would have been nice to get a fancy one like yours.

Agedashi Tofu
Jul 27, 2004

I paid money to type stuff here.

blackmage posted:

I like your A/V shelf unit. Any details on what/where/how much? I shopped around for months, finding only things that were inadequate sizes (too wide, not deep enough), or outrageously overpriced (most starting at $1000). I ended up building my own out of MDF and am fairly pleased with the results, but it would have been nice to get a fancy one like yours.

I got them from Circuit City - but I don't know if the sell them anymore because I had a really hard time getting the matching component stand there. The line was "Gusdorf" and I think it was about $300 for the pair.

Like most assemble yourself furniture, it has gotten a bit wobbly over time and I have to tighten down the screws and such around once a month. They do look nice though and I don't plan to replace them if I can get new furniture that matches them alright.

And the couches - while they do look OK in the photo as some have noted, are pretty horrible looking in person - not to mention miserable to sit on (or lay on as also noted). I pretty much got the set plus the table, a bookshelf, and a chair for $100 off craigslist if that is any indication.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Agedashi Tofu posted:

Like most assemble yourself furniture, it has gotten a bit wobbly over time and I have to tighten down the screws and such around once a month. They do look nice though and I don't plan to replace them if I can get new furniture that matches them alright.

If you don't intend to take them back apart just get some thread-lock or even superglue. Most assemble yourself furniture can be built rock solid as long as you actually use some glue were there is glue on real furniture. In reality it is the glue that holds together any woodworking project, or weld in case of metal. Even the cheapest ikea table can be made rock solid with some woodglue.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Twlight posted:

Do you have any photos of your LP's inside the lack? I'd like to see how they look.

I just moved and haven't unearthed my digital camera from the pile of boxes yet. I'll put up pics of my setup asap though.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
It's been 2 long months... I knew this upgrade was going to hurt since so much had to change... In order to migrate to a processor, I had to free up my power amp driving the sub. One thing led to another and I ended up with this...

Velodyne SPL1200II

I am absolutely sold on Velodyne now.

So now that my I have full use of amplification, I needed a processor. I had originally leaned towards Anthem but after playing with it a bit, I didn't like it. The NAD M15 was out of my price range so I went with a Rotel RSP-1068.

Everything I could want and more. Still dialing things in but it's a huge improvement over the Harmon Kardon I was using before.

And of course I mentioned that I wanted to get away from Paradigm.

The 805S was a little out of my range right now, So I opted for some 705's. These coupled with the new sub are just magical. I'll move up to 805's later on but I'm not in a terribly big hurry.

And as things are now... Still trying to figure out if I can move couches around so that I can put everything on the other wall. I'd be much happier that way...

Acc-Risk fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 30, 2008

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Juriko posted:

If you don't intend to take them back apart just get some thread-lock or even superglue. Most assemble yourself furniture can be built rock solid as long as you actually use some glue were there is glue on real furniture. In reality it is the glue that holds together any woodworking project, or weld in case of metal. Even the cheapest ikea table can be made rock solid with some woodglue.

If I we're to put two Ikea lack tv stands next to each other, how would I best secure them so when I put my tv in the center there isn't any shifting?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Twlight posted:

If I we're to put two Ikea lack tv stands next to each other, how would I best secure them so when I put my tv in the center there isn't any shifting?

If you are talking about two of these http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00105323 I would most likely use wood glue on all the joints, set them up next to one another, clamp them, drill 4 holes through the two sides that are butting up against each other, and then attach them with some bolts, washers and wing nuts. This will allow the two units to be rock solid, but you can unbolt them when you move so you don't have this 100+ inch monster to move.

Bumpon10s
Dec 9, 2004

Gentleman, we have seen the future.

Twlight posted:

You could just drill a bracket into the bottom panels, or put a 5x3/8" carrige bolt with a locking washer and nut on the back joining legs of it.

I am in the process and adding 2" spacer pieces to my lack unit to give more clearence for my Denon reciever, I will post pictures when I finish the whole set-up, should be pretty badass for a relatively poor person.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Acc-Risk posted:

It's been 2 long months...

Beautiful setup, I really like the high-gloss finish on the cabinet. I'm really diggin' the owls too!

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.

RexSS345 posted:

Beautiful setup, I really like the high-gloss finish on the cabinet. I'm really diggin' the owls too!

Owls well that ends well.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Twlight posted:

I really like the Lack bookshelf, since I'll be using different parts of the Lack I think that it will fit well. Do you have any photos of your LP's inside the lack? I'd like to see how they look.

I counted and I can get about 40 per shelf on average, one shelf is holding 50. They're in there very loosely too, I didn't want to squeeze too many in and wind up with ring marks on the jackets.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Acc-Risk posted:

Beautiful gear, drat.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

Owsla posted:

Beautiful gear, drat.

Thank you very much. It's been a very enjoyable experience to just sit down and listen this weekend.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Here's my dorm room setup with my new TV:

TV: Vizio VX32L
Speakers: Pioneer 5.1 Home Theater
Gaming: PS3, 360

(sorry about the pic quality, it's from my phone)

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
What a crazy dorm room.

Dunderhead
Dec 31, 2003
Airdisc^2
Uncleguito's bro chiming in here. I guess right now I have two AV set-ups, but that'll be changing next month when I move from this house to a studio apartment.

Computer room:

^ That's my Acer 22" HDTV 1080p HTPC, which is pretty nice, and I got a great deal on it. =P

Living room downstairs (main media room):

It does the job for now (27" Olevia HDTV 720p/1080i); I'll upgrade someday when I can afford it. The sound system is also acceptable for now.

That entertainment center won't be coming along to the new studio obviously because of its size. I may wall-mount the HDTV, not sure yet.
(sub not pictured, 400W Klipsch 10")

Jayx77
Sep 5, 2004

NO! JUMP THE OTHER WAY!!!

Dunderhead posted:

Nice setups...

2 questions for you.

How do those Pioneer speakers sound with having the rear R&L surrounds setup in the front like that? I have that system and may be moving it around a bit and dont really want to run the wires again.

Where did you get that shelving unit? I have been looking for something exactly like that for a while now. I want something that is just deep enough for DVDs/Games and everything I have been finding is either too small or too deep.

Dunderhead
Dec 31, 2003
Airdisc^2

Jayx77 posted:

Nice setups...

2 questions for you.

How do those Pioneer speakers sound with having the rear R&L surrounds setup in the front like that? I have that system and may be moving it around a bit and dont really want to run the wires again.

Where did you get that shelving unit? I have been looking for something exactly like that for a while now. I want something that is just deep enough for DVDs/Games and everything I have been finding is either too small or too deep.

I was actually skeptical at first about stacking the rears on top of the front speakers, but it actually works out quite well, and I didn't want to invest in rear speaker stands. There's an automated setup that runs and detects where the walls are for reflection, which creates the surround sound effect.

I got the shelving unit at Target, and I think it was around $70 (here in St. Louis) a few months ago. The wood is pretty sturdy, and I knew it was a good product when I picked up the box at the store and felt how heavy it was; I think I spotted the same shelf in another goon's setup pic.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Dunderhead posted:

I got the shelving unit at Target, and I think it was around $70 (here in St. Louis) a few months ago. The wood is pretty sturdy, and I knew it was a good product when I picked up the box at the store and felt how heavy it was; I think I spotted the same shelf in another goon's setup pic.

Weight isn't much of a sign of quality. Compressed board weighs way more then plain wood. A veneered particle board will weigh more than solid wood because it is far more dense.

afterworld
Nov 28, 2007
I wouldn't mind some feedback guys. I've bought most of this stuff through my own research in shops rather on line so I don't really know how it compares.

Video:
Samsung 42" Plasma (PSN4231)

Audio:
Pioneer VSX 2014i receiver
Dali Blue Series 8008 fronts
Dali Blue Series 1001 rears
Focal Chorus CC700S centre
Focal Chorus SW700S sub

Source:
Pioneer FD-1007 301 Disc changer (old, I know)
Xbox 360
Xbox Original
PC
Playstation 3 (getting it tomorrow!)

plaz
Jul 25, 2006
My collection -

Sony Bravia 40" V series LCD
Sony STR-DA1200ES receiver
Wharfedale Atlantic 500s (front)
Wharfedale Xarus 5000s (rear)
Wharfedale Xarus center
Xbox 360
Xbox 360 HDDVD drive :(

One day I'll get around to getting a photo of it all ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Here is my current setup, via crappy cellphone camera:

New additions listed in bold:
TV: Panasonic TH-42PZ700U 1080p plasma TV
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V663

Fronts: Blueroom Minipod x 2
Center: Acoustic Research AR4C
Surrounds: Acoustic Research AR17 x 2
Subwoofer A: Sony SA-WM40
Subwoofer B: Sony SA-WM500
Not in Use: Bose 901 series IV speakers from the 70s that belonged to my grandfather.

I've been looking to do some upgraded to go with the new TV and receiver. Not sure where I should start; every component was in the $150-200 range at time of purchase. Though the minipods are pretty good, I might be compelled to upgrade my fronts first so I can kick the current fronts to surrounds and current surrounds to rears. Mid-tier bookshelf speakers would prob be best suited, however I might consider floor standing speakers to raise my setup up to the next level. The room this is all in is currently my bedroom, though it is larger than the typical "bedroom" sized room; it is more of a living room type deal and used to be called the "den" of the house before it became my room. I've always had issues with subwoofer output due to the size of the room, despite having 2 decent but lower-end ones. With my new TV, i've rearranged the position of everything though, and it seems to be working slightly better. Any suggestions or recommendations on upgrade order?

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 15, 2008