Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theusz Hamtaahk
Jan 8, 2008
Kobaia iss de Hundin

Deltron 3030 posted:

Where do I start with Animal Collective? I don't know much about them other than reading through their Wikipedia, and it's probably a departure from most of the music I currently listen to but I'm definitely interested.

In my opinion, start with Strawberry Jam. it's drat near flawless. However, if you want to get into something more representative of the free folk sound, go with Feels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!

Theusz Hamtaahk posted:

In my opinion, start with Strawberry Jam. it's drat near flawless. However, if you want to get into something more representative of the free folk sound, go with Feels.

I have to agree, they've gotten slowly more accessible with each album so start with Strawberry Jam and work your way backwards.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Dadjacket posted:

Well I don't think Silversun Pickups are THAT shoegazey (okay so they use a lot of guitar overdubs, but other than that...) and shoegaze has become sort of a catch-all signifier used to describe anything that has a gauzy sound or a lot of reverb. That being said, shoegaze is awesome.

The three 'defining' albums of the first wave of shoegaze in the late eighties and early nineties are
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Ride - Nowhere
Slowdive - Souvlaki

However, if you like the Silversun Pickups then you might like more stuff where people wed the guitar effects of shoegaze to big hooks, so you might want to check out
Kitchens of Distinction - Love Is Hell
and Lush - Split
as well as Gish by the Smashing Pumpkins if you haven't yet...

No Jesus and Mary Chain recommendations? That's one name along with MBV that seems to get thrown around a lot when I hear about shoegaze..

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Doug posted:

No Jesus and Mary Chain recommendations? That's one name along with MBV that seems to get thrown around a lot when I hear about shoegaze..

They were a big influence on shoegaze but didn't really do an album that fits in the style. Honey's Dead comes the closest but it's nowhere near nerdy enough to count.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

I was reading Wikipedia about some of the contemporary movements in art music and while they all looked interesting, world music really stuck out. Many pop musicians have implemented various ethnic styles into their music but I'm wondering if there are artists out there who take it to an extreme. Specifically artists who use polystylism and not only draw upon music from all corners of the Earth but combine these styles together in new and interesting ways. This could be as simple as playing a Kyoto flute over bongos and maracas, but I'm sure it doesn't have to be limited to instruments and could include things like tonality or melody. I know there are composers or groups that meet this description but I'm at a loss as to who to begin with, especially when it comes to the more challenging approaches.

Edit: Scratch that, as my efforts are now focused on listening to as much music made by John Zorn as possible. I was previously aware of this artist but never listened to anything more than one or two individual songs. After just having sat through The Gift, currently listening to New Traditions In East Asian Bar Bands, and reading descriptions of this guy's other works I have to say my curiosity has been piqued. He seems analogous to Frank Zappa except more experimental and less raunchy, either way this is some drat interesting music.

What is a good way to tackle a discography this large? I've read about Cartoon/S&M and that seems interesting for an orchestral piece, but I'm currently staring at a huge list of albums all of which have radically different music on them and I'm not sure where to begin. I think John Zorn is fairly well-known so hopefully at least a few people can recommend some of the more interesting or (relatively)accessible albums.

Jive One fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 13, 2008

Wobegon
Jan 13, 2007

by The Finn

Forgone Conclusion posted:

Where do I start with Tom Waits?

I know everybody is jumping to recommend Swordfish/Rain Dogs, but if you really want a cross-section of Tom Waits, I'd say the one album to get to start would be Alice. It spans his musical stylings really, from "Alice" and "Flowers Grave," which recalls his earlier lounge-singery lowlife persona, to "We're All Mad Here" and "Kommienezuspadt," which match even the tracks from Bone Machine for pure weirdness, to "Watch Her Disappear," in the style of his spoken narratives. Its also, in my opinion, Tom Waits at his best.

Released at the same time, Blood Money crosses nearly as much of Waits' stylistic ideas, from "Starvin in the Belly of a Whale" to two of my personal Waits favorites - "All The World Is Green" and "Another Man's Vine."

Its not the Swordfish/RainDogs/Frank's aren't great albums, but I think to start out you'll get more of the Tom Waits range from Alice/BloodMoney.

Wobegon fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 11, 2008

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Raccoon Leaf posted:

New Order - I'm not one to suggest starting with Greatest Hits. However, if you haven't already you actually might want to start with the "Best of" compilation. New Order released a lot of singles that don't appear on regular albums, and the "Best of" will give you those plus a few great album tracks. As for the actual albums, New Order has been pretty consistent over the years, so where you start pretty much depends on preference. My personal favorite is Technique, but a lot of people like Power Corruption and Lies.

If you're going to start with a "Greatest Hits" compilation as opposed to a studio album, you might as well go with Substance over something like (Best Of)). However, if you're one of those purists that believes in jumping right into a classic studio album, I'd suggest either Brotherhood or Power, Corruption & Lies. Those two albums explore everything that made that band great.

voland
Oct 30, 2007

by sebmojo

WantlessPonder posted:

Camel

Mirage, The Snow Goose and Moonmadness are their most classic albums. I like Moonmadness best myself, "Air Born" is a heartrendingly beautiful song. If you prefer your Camel without vocals, The Snow Goose is a fully instrumental release.

Their later output isn't entirely terrible either, at least Nude and Rajaz I find completely agreeable, if a bit lukewarm. Camel is generally rather "easy listening" prog, much unlike...

Van der Graaf Generator: the only album I'm familiar with is their magnum opus Pawn Hearts and while very respected, I think it's a hideously difficult album. I just got Godbluff and H to He Who Am the Only One but haven't had a chance to form an opinion on them yet. I'd still wager they're easier albums to start with.

EDIT: Oh my. After just one listen of Godbluff -- get this one.

voland fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 11, 2008

WantlessPonder
Apr 4, 2007

Kinda like a pint a Guinness.

voland posted:

Mirage, The Snow Goose and Moonmadness are their most classic albums. I like Moonmadness best myself, "Air Born" is a heartrendingly beautiful song. If you prefer your Camel without vocals, The Snow Goose is a fully instrumental release.

Their later output isn't entirely terrible either, at least Nude and Rajaz I find completely agreeable, if a bit lukewarm. Camel is generally rather "easy listening" prog, much unlike...

Van der Graaf Generator: the only album I'm familiar with is their magnum opus Pawn Hearts and while very respected, I think it's a hideously difficult album. I just got Godbluff and H to He Who Am the Only One but haven't had a chance to form an opinion on them yet. I'd still wager they're easier albums to start with.

EDIT: Oh my. After just one listen of Godbluff -- get this one.

I'll check those out. Thanks a bunch!

these zipper blues
Dec 5, 2004

He IS stupid, isn't he?
Cat Power?

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

If these guys do their job I might have my eyes back in as soon as Monday.

these zipper blues posted:

Cat Power?

The Greatest is her best, containing Chan's strongest vocal work combined with some great brass, however for her more 'indie' albums try You Are Free and Moon Pix.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Dorepoll posted:

Faith No More - Angel Dust is one of the best albums of all time. Pretty brilliant, being both weird as hell, but also having a ton of hooks and it rocks the gently caress out.

I would add The Real Thing and King For a Day... as must-haves.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I will eat your children.
What should I check out if I like The Locust or Totalt Jävla Mörker? Might as well get some noise rock recommendations, while I'm at it.

Also, is The Locust's latest any good?

Uncle Meat fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 25, 2008

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Uncle Meat posted:

Might as well get some noise rock recommendations, while I'm at it.

The only one I listen to is Big Black. They sort of paved the way for Industrial Rock later on down the road and they're a big noisy band that's lots of fun. Check out Songs About loving and 8 Track for the Rich.

WET BUTT
Mar 11, 2005

Uncle Meat posted:

The Boredoms' Pop Tatari is great, although this could almost be considered punk in some aspects. It depends what you're after; great groups like Les Rallizes Denudes, Royal Trux, Jesus Lizard, Big Black, Flipper, Naked City, The Birthday Party, Half Japanese, and early Butthole Surfers could all be considered noise rock, by some, but a completely different genre by others.

WET BUTT fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 25, 2008

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

WET BUTT posted:

The Boredoms' Pop Tatari is great

Have it, and yes it is. Although, it's the only thing of them I've heard. How are the rest of their discography?

WET BUTT posted:

Les Rallizes Denudes, Royal Trux, Jesus Lizard, Big Black, Flipper, Naked City, The Birthday Party, Half Japanese, and early Butthole Surfers

I am well versed in the early ways of The Bad Seeds. :p

I'll check out the rest, though. Any albums you'd recommend?

Technetium: I'll try to check out yours as well.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

Uncle Meat posted:

Jeez, everybody wants to say something about noise rock. Well me too. Lightning Bolt is really good, check out Wonderful Rainbow or Hypermagic Mountain. I've heard The Velvet Underground and Sonic Youth described as noise rock if you're using the term liberally. Hmm, maybe check out Boris? I loving love Boris... but don't expect to nail down their style after having heard just 2 or 3 albums. They range from really solid rock to pretty slow and pretty stuff to some really loud noisy noise stuff. Yeh.

And seconding the Boredoms

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

Willie The Disk posted:

Lightning Bolt is really good, check out Wonderful Rainbow or Hypermagic Mountain. I've heard The Velvet Underground and Sonic Youth described as noise rock if you're using the term liberally. Hmm, maybe check out Boris?

Heard everything but Lightning Bolt. Have you heard the live collaboration between Boris and good 'ol Merz, entitled Rock Dream? It's completely, utterly brilliant. Very recommendable.

WET BUTT
Mar 11, 2005

Uncle Meat posted:

I am well versed in the early ways of The Bad Seeds. :p

I'll check out the rest, though. Any albums you'd recommend?

Technetium: I'll try to check out yours as well.

Les Rallizes Denudes: 77 Live is just this wonderful psych record drenched completely in delay and feedback. The best terrorist outing of theirs is that one, while the best normal psychedelic album is Oz Days 1974. There's a song of theirs on this mix I made: http://tsammpsych.muxtape.com/

Royal Trux: If you can find it, Singles, Unreleased, and Live is perfect throughout. There's noise stuff on there, FM rock, straight improvisations and the theme from M.A.S.H strewn about upon both discs. If you can't, Twin Infinitives is the big one, and it's very noisy; comparable to Trout Mask Replica in how polarizing it is.

Jesus Lizard: Goat is a huge album. It's my favorite work of production/engineering by Albini and it's incredibly assonant and rocking for something often classified as noise rock.

Half Japanese: Sing No Evil is the perfect cross between their noise and some sort of sax-infused-improvised-pop periods, while Solar System(live) is my all around favorite of theirs. Both are equally good. Think Stooges meets The Shaggs, for both of these. If you want their straight up hilarious amateur noise stuff Half Gentlemen/Not Beasts is the one to go with.

Naked City: Torture Garden is the only great album they ever did, I think. John Zorn may seem like he's talking down to everyone in his spurting Kaoru Abe sax solos, but Yamatsuka Eye of Boredoms evens it out on every track, along with Fred Frith and I guess Bill Frisell and a million other cool people. Disorienting and heart pumping.

Those are the main ones out of that list! The rest have pretty much only one album(Flipper - Generic, Butthole Surfers - Locust Abortion Technician, etc.)

As for the rest of the Boredoms discography, they sort of switch from Noise Rock to Electronic to Krautrock to Electronic Krautrock along the way. The best of the Pop Tatari period is Chocolate Synthesizer and the best of the psychedelic stuff is Super Ae(in my opinion, anyway)

WET BUTT fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 25, 2008

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Has anyone asked about Arab Strap? Where's a good place to start with them?

Modulus
Dec 4, 2006
This isn't as much of a "where do I start with" question, it's more of a "where do I go from here..." question, so here goes.

I'm looking for something to continue my Megadeth education. I already have Rust in Peace as well as Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?, and I'm aware of course that these were their megahit albums. Since then, it seems the group has undergone some personnel changes, so I'm wondering what would be a good next album to check out. If I had to say which one I like better in terms of style, I would have to lean towards R.I.P., but only slightly- I think it's a much more technically demanding album, and Marty Friedman just blows me away every time. So, for those of you more knowledgeable, what would be some other album(s) to check out? Thanks!

Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster
Where do I start with 50s to early 70s Motown, 40s to 60s Jazz, Doo Wop and 50s to late 60s girl groups?

I'm a fan of these general types of musics, some artists in particular (Marvin Gaye, Billie Holiday) or contemporary artists who try their hardest to emulate one of these particular genres (Amy Winehouse, the Pipettes), but I'm a bit lost when it comes to where exactly I should begin to have a nice overview and explore on my own. Especially since I don't like to go out and blindly buy "Best Of" albums.

Fake edit: just being answering one of these questions is fine and I'm willing to buy "best of" or compilation albums based on recommendations, I just don't like to do that on my own

Cheers

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Modulus posted:

This isn't as much of a "where do I start with" question, it's more of a "where do I go from here..." question, so here goes.

I'm looking for something to continue my Megadeth education. I already have Rust in Peace as well as Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?, and I'm aware of course that these were their megahit albums. Since then, it seems the group has undergone some personnel changes, so I'm wondering what would be a good next album to check out. If I had to say which one I like better in terms of style, I would have to lean towards R.I.P., but only slightly- I think it's a much more technically demanding album, and Marty Friedman just blows me away every time. So, for those of you more knowledgeable, what would be some other album(s) to check out? Thanks!

Youthanasia and the latest one are arguably essential, given that you have the classics.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
What about Buckethead?

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Anorak Revolution posted:

Where do I start with 50s to early 70s Motown, 40s to 60s Jazz, Doo Wop and 50s to late 60s girl groups?

I'm a fan of these general types of musics, some artists in particular (Marvin Gaye, Billie Holiday) or contemporary artists who try their hardest to emulate one of these particular genres (Amy Winehouse, the Pipettes), but I'm a bit lost when it comes to where exactly I should begin to have a nice overview and explore on my own. Especially since I don't like to go out and blindly buy "Best Of" albums.

Fake edit: just being answering one of these questions is fine and I'm willing to buy "best of" or compilation albums based on recommendations, I just don't like to do that on my own

Cheers

With Motown it's all about the Best-Ofs. Before the late sixties all the emphasis was on hit singles and very few people cared about producing a consistent LP. This is especially true of Motown seeing as they had a group of very talented writers whose songs were split up over a large number of vocal groups.

I have a 3-CD set called Tamla Motown Gold which I picked up cheap and would consider a good first purchase; it has most of the hits from the 60's which is the golden period for Motown (The label didn't score it's first hit until 1959, and lost it's best songwriters, Holland-Dozier-Holland in '67). The sixties is very much the era of the "classic" Motown sound typified by The Supremes, Smokey Robinson And The Miracles etc. Of course some acts like The Supremes have more than enough great songs to fill up their own Greatest Hits compilations. I couldn't recommend a specific one but I'm guessing they all have pretty much the same tracks and are all cheap.

Motown are releasing comprehesive year-by-year collections of all their singles at the moment too. You can find reviews on https://www.pitchforkmedia.com.

Of course, some artists like Marvin Gaye would go on to success in the 70's with their own songwriting, and you should check that out too if you haven't already. It's a long way from the ultra-poppy 60's stuff though.

Although I know less about Doo-Wop music (I've tried to ask the same question on these forums before) it's a fact that the hit single was the number one objective for most Doo-Wop groups (or rather their record labels) too. Many groups were just teenagers picked out of high school who recorded a song or two then were never heard from again.

I've picked up a couple of general doo-wop compilations recently, neither are very consistent but both have a few wonderful songs. Doo Wop Shop - with Love, Randall Lee Rose (Ace Records) Has Angel Baby by Rosie and the Originals, probably not strictly doo-wop but a beautiful song nonetheless, as well as The Penguins' Earth Angel and Denise by Randy and The Rainbows (later covered by Blondie). The Original Doo Wop Album (EMI) has some good songs too although I like it less. These CDs were pretty cheap so you might be best off going into your local record store and just grabbing a Doo-Wop comp at random.

I also have Best Ofs from The Marcels and Dion And The Belmonts. Both have some really good tracks on them as well as alot of throwaway nonsense that was probably written and recorded within half an hour. That seems to be par for the course for the doo-wop era I'm afraid.

Well, good luck, let me know if you find any hidden gems!

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!
Anyone know where to start with Jurassic 5 and The Roots?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Anorak Revolution posted:

40s to 60s Jazz

This is basically the same thing as any "recommend me jazz" post, dood.

Charlie Parker - The Complete Dial (or Savoy or Verve) Masters
Thelonious Monk - Genius of Modern Music vol. ? (or anything on Blue Note)
Duke Ellington - Far East Suite, some Blanton-Webster Band (Never No Lament is huge but 100% awesome)
Dizzy Gillespie - I only have comps, but you can't really go wrong with anything by this guy
Miles Davis - something from the late '50s, not necessarily Kind of Blue
John Coltrane - anything with Eric Dolphy or the Classic Quartet
Charles Mingus - The Complete Atlantic Recordings, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Eric Dolphy - all recordings which title start with "Out", most importantly "to Lunch"
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus, A Night at the Village Vanguard

these zipper blues
Dec 5, 2004

He IS stupid, isn't he?

ackapoo posted:

Anyone know where to start with Jurassic 5?

I started on Quality Control and moved to Power In Numbers, but they're both really accessible. Either one will be a safe bet.

these zipper blues fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 30, 2008

WET BUTT
Mar 11, 2005

HAI posted:

This is basically the same thing as any "recommend me jazz" post, dood.

Charlie Parker - The Complete Dial (or Savoy or Verve) Masters
Thelonious Monk - Genius of Modern Music vol. ? (or anything on Blue Note)
Duke Ellington - Far East Suite, some Blanton-Webster Band (Never No Lament is huge but 100% awesome)
Dizzy Gillespie - I only have comps, but you can't really go wrong with anything by this guy
Miles Davis - something from the late '50s, not necessarily Kind of Blue
John Coltrane - anything with Eric Dolphy or the Classic Quartet
Charles Mingus - The Complete Atlantic Recordings, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Eric Dolphy - all recordings which title start with "Out", most importantly "to Lunch"
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus, A Night at the Village Vanguard

Great list. I'd add "Oh Yeah" and "Tijuana Moods" to Mingus, and a bunch more later stuff to Coltrane. I'd also add Black, Beige, and Brown to Ellington as a good example of his swing-y big band huge stuff. Also, that Dolphy thing would only work if he had albums called "Out To Iron Man" and "Out To Live At The Five Spot Vol. 1."

I'd also add(this is all assuming he's including mid-to-late sixties in his inquiry);

Andrew Hill - Point of Departure. Amazing supergroup; Dolphy, Tony Williams, and some Blue Note dude I can't remember fly and coast through some of the most physically simulating post bop ever made. Close your eyes and watch your neurons jump around.
Grachan Moncur III - Evolution, and to a lesser extent Some Other Stuff.
Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come. Not my favorite of his, but undoubtedly his most important.
Lee Morgan - Sidewinder
Sam Rivers - Contours
Pharaoh Sanders - Karma
Archie Shepp - Fire Music
Sun Ra - Sound of Joy, We Travel the Spaceways, Atlantis, The Batman Album
Jaki Byard - The Jaki Byard Experience

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I might as well ask this thread as well: where do I go and what to do with the Neofolk genre? The only thing I know is Death in June and Current 93 are really big in this small genre, and I have their Symbols Shatter and All the Pretty Horses albums. I liked Symbols but not Horses too much, but I might just have to give it a better listen.

So, what albums should I get and what other bands should I look into?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

WET BUTT posted:

"Out To Iron Man"

Make that "Out to The Complete Memorial Album Sessions" which pairs Iron Man with the fabulous "Conversation". It has the worst duet album cliché ever, "Alone Together", but his solo take on "Love Me" is perfect.

Schwartz Champ
Feb 19, 2008

Christ is the unfathomable source that keeps every atom from literally exploding!!!
How could I get into some good Shoegaze and Slowcore?

Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster
Thanks for the suggestions so far! I went out today and bought both "The Magic of Motown" and "25 All-Time Doo Wop hits" and I'll start from there. Next week, I'll try some of the girl groups and some of the jazz suggestions, I'm going to really concentrate on these two for now

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

Mortigi Tempo posted:

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless, of course

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Mortigi Tempo posted:

I think this was already discussed a few pages, back but might as well reiterate here.

As modernlifeisadam mentioned up above, My Bloody Valentine's Loveless is an excellent place to start. With that one album, Shields took mammoth steps in defining the genre. From there, you might also check out the first Ride LP Nowhere, Catherine Wheel's Ferment (if only for their early hit single "Black Metallic"), and Spooky from Lush. Those three, along with Loveless should provide a decent introduction to the sound. From there, move on to things like Jesus and Mary Chain (Psychocandy for starters), Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized. If you're still not satisfied and are simply ravenous for that wonderfully drugged up guitar wash sound, then try Galaxie 500 or Slowdive.

As for slowcore, check out Low. I'd start with Long Division or I Could Live in Hope. These guys were some of the early pioneers of the sound. For an added bonus, check out the Joy Division tribute record (A Means to an End) for their sublime cover of "Transmission." If you find Low pleasing to your ears, then maybe go check out Codeine (also on the Joy Division tribute album) Mojave 3 and The Red House Painters.

Schwartz Champ
Feb 19, 2008

Christ is the unfathomable source that keeps every atom from literally exploding!!!

hatelull posted:

I think this was already discussed a few pages, back but might as well reiterate here.

Yeah it was, I guess I didn't check the thread thoroughly enough. Thanks for the recommendations anyway. I've checked out the bands mentioned and I must say, consider my interest piqued.

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!

ackapoo posted:

Anyone know where to start with...The Roots?

Definitely Things Fall Apart, which is solid from start to finish and is basically the pinnacle of their more straightforward jazz-hiphop fusion of their early albums. After that they start branching out a lot more. I'd recommend the followup Phrenology, which is pretty all over the place, and then you can either continue to move forward if you like that more, or move backwards from Things Fall Apart if you prefer that album's style.

Their latest Rising Down is loving amazing but it's also their darkest and synthiest yet.

Willie The Disk
Feb 1, 2008

btw the pumpkin is gay

Uncle Meat posted:

Heard everything but Lightning Bolt. Have you heard the live collaboration between Boris and good 'ol Merz, entitled Rock Dream? It's completely, utterly brilliant. Very recommendable.

I think I've heard every other collaboration between the two BUT Rock Dream. The one titled 04092001 is pretty good, pretty epic. Live, also.

Umm, I recently found out about Black Dice, and oh poo poo they're cool. Creature Comforts is the only album by them I've heard, but it's really something. Also, the Boredoms are good... check out Chocolate Synthesizer.

And have I said anything about/have you heard De Facto? It's the members of Mars Volta while ATDI was still a band, but it's just cool, effects-driven, experimental dub. Everything they put out is good in its own right (imo), so grab what you can.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Mortigi Tempo posted:

As they touched on with the Slowcore responses, I'd definitely recommend starting off with these two records.

Codeine's The White Birch

Low's Things We Lost In The Fire

Since I heard those two records I've been a complete sucker for any form of music where I have to find it's pulse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

HateTheInternet posted:

What about Buckethead?

Just throwing this out there again. He's got 25 studio albums and a ton of other side projects.