Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Well there's always Gallhammer and Sigh. Gallhammer play raw blackened crust with some doom influences, while Sigh are more melodic. Those are the only two I'm really familiar with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Avant Gardening posted:

recomend me some good japanese bm besides gnome and gorugoth

Sabbat, Barbatos and Abigail are really all you need when it comes to Japan.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Sounds like that might fit the mood of the album (thanks for the recommendation, will check them out).

You know what to do.

Avant Gardening posted:

Early Sigh is my recommendation.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Kaiho posted:

Early Sigh is my recommendation.

Yeah.

Their later stuff is even more magnificent, but weird. Hangman's Hymn is one of my favourite albums of last year.

HorrorJunkie
Dec 12, 2006

My heart's as full as a baked potato!

Avant Gardening posted:

Abigail, Cut Throat, and Sigh are all fantastic Japanese black metal bands. Albeit the first two bands are definitely more black/thrash than just straight up black metal.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Inquiring about a couple of new BM releases...

Gloria Morti's Eryx and Azaghal's Omega

Anyone heard positive reviews or otherwise of these? Dark Fortress's Eidolon has to be the most noteworthy black metal release of '08 thus far.

Dunno about Gloria Morti, but the new Azaghal is incredible. I haven't read any reviews, but we just got it in at the radio station I DJ at, and I was blown away. I never really paid attention to this band before, but this album is something else. Of course, since I don't have much prior experience, I can't really tell you how it stacks up to their back catalogue. Still, it's awesome. Breakneck speed, blazing riffs, production that is just dirty enough to be "true" while still being heavy... just great. I haven't listened to the whole thing to be honest, but the several songs I heard were very, very good. I'd say it ranks a close second to Eidolon at the moment.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Dyna Soar posted:

Well there's always Gallhammer and Sigh. Gallhammer play raw blackened crust with some doom influences, while Sigh are more melodic. Those are the only two I'm really familiar with.

Gallhammer are great. There's something endearing about tiny Japanese women with names like Mika creating music that sounds like it came from the 5th level of Hell. I really hope they tour the US again (or period); I want to see them live.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Just got some of Mirrorthrone's "Of Wind and Weeping" and it comes in a nice packaging, and Shining's "V" album too. drat I can't get enough of Shining, anyone know a band like them I should give a try?

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Gvaz posted:

Just got some of Mirrorthrone's "Of Wind and Weeping" and it comes in a nice packaging, and Shining's "V" album too. drat I can't get enough of Shining, anyone know a band like them I should give a try?

Kvarforth's other band Skitliv, but they haven't released their album yet. Kvarforth plays guitar and Maniac does vocals.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gvaz posted:

I thought you were talking about Mirrorthrone's new album :( Has that leaked yet? The release date was supposed to be in March anyway.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I thought you were talking about Mirrorthrone's new album :( Has that leaked yet? The release date was supposed to be in March anyway.

Nah, but I own both of them now :v:

It should be soon, so I dunno why its not out yet.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I just picked up Cor Scorpii's Monuments and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised. The influence of the members from Windir is obvious but they definitely have their own sound and that sound is good.

Ghost of Orbo
Mar 16, 2008
Some recent favorites that I would recommend:

Circle of Ouroborus - Shores (Psychadelic Black metal/rock)

The Austrasian Goat - S/T (black metal/funeral doom)

Exterminate - Pact (Utterly evil South American black metal. Seriously consider picking this up from NWN if you like your BM to scare the poo poo out you and your neighbors)

Nyktalgia - S/T (Okay, okay, not so recent, but I feel the need to mention this one at every chance. loving killer riffs and a lot of atmosphere)

Ghost of Orbo fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 17, 2008

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker
Anyone here listen to Vordr?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

brightfield posted:

Anyone here listen to Vordr?

Yeah, III is pretty awesome.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Qu Appelle posted:

with names like Mika creating music that sounds like it came from the 5th level of Hell.
How right you are

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker

Mr. Heavy posted:

How right you are

He's got some kind of bulge going on there! If I were gay, I'd be totally gay for that dude.

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker
The new Wrath of the Weak Alogon is quite good. The vocals are recessed to the point where if someone didn't tell you otherwise, you might think this were a straight up ambient black metal album. The last song has nary a trace of metal - and is a 21-minute ambient opus. This one is growing on me.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

brightfield posted:

The new Wrath of the Weak Alogon is quite good. The vocals are recessed to the point where if someone didn't tell you otherwise, you might think this were a straight up ambient black metal album. The last song has nary a trace of metal - and is a 21-minute ambient opus. This one is growing on me.
Why can't a single "ambient black metal" act put together some drumming that's even halfway interesting?

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker

Mr. Heavy posted:

Why can't a single "ambient black metal" act put together some drumming that's even halfway interesting?

Have you checked out Gris yet? I'm not an expert, but the drums are more interesting than WoW, at least.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
The recommendations to the guy asking for japanese bm are loving hilarious, because it's pretty obvious you guys don't even read/know what he's asking for in your hurry to rattle off the 3 bands every moron and his mother knows of from that area.

To actually contribute a band that sound somewhat like Gnome, Samayoi looks like a promising new project.

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker
Two albums intrigued me from the recent Aquarius new arrivals list:

Forteresse "Les Hivers De Notre Epoqu". I've listened to a couple of clips on the Aquarius website from these Canadian black metallers. For fans of early Burzum, Immortal, Summoning, etc...

VERDUNKELN "Einblick In Den Qualenfall". German dudes. What I said above applies here as well.

brightfield fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 5, 2008

Lemonade
Mar 11, 2006
Hau Ruck
How does the new Forteresse compare to their first full length and their EP?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Everyone's favourite hosed-up germanic gnome Varg Vikernes is up for parole this month. Does anyone have any details?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
The last time that happened he gave himself a Hitler cut. I am kind of curious to see what he does now.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Mr. Heavy posted:

I tend to like ambient black metal that sounds like Vinterriket. Dunno if you'd like that but I find his releases to be very enjoyable

Kaiho posted:

Everyone's favourite hosed-up germanic gnome Varg Vikernes is up for parole this month. Does anyone have any details?

Hopefully he wont be a stupid gently caress up like the last time he had parole and get himself in trouble. Hopefully there'll be someone taking candid shots of him walking around or something cause I haven't seen much pics of him lately.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Kaiho posted:

After the poo poo he pulled last time, he's not going ANYWHERE. Between being the scourge of norwegian christianity and holding people at gunpoint, nobody's letting that guy out.

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!

Morbid Florist posted:

After the poo poo he pulled last time, he's not going ANYWHERE. Between being the scourge of norwegian christianity and holding people at gunpoint, nobody's letting that guy out.

I certainly HOPE not.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

He's definitely getting out soon. It's about drat time too.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

IntoTheNihil posted:

He's definitely getting out soon. It's about drat time too.

Why? The guy's a cold blooded racist murderer who last time when he was on parole got a car, a gun and a load of drugs and tried to escape to Denmark. Why would you want a guy like that out of jail?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Dyna Soar posted:

Why? The guy's a cold blooded racist murderer who last time when he was on parole got a car, a gun and a load of drugs and tried to escape to Denmark. Why would you want a guy like that out of jail?
Uh, he was never on parole. He was granted short leave, and tried to flee the country.

Lungs
Dec 20, 2005
Can anybody point to somewhere I can find some nice good quality BM images? I need some for a presentation I'm doing next week and I'm finding it hard to find decent ones. Some of the images on Peter Beste's site are great but it's in flash and I'm too dumb to know how to save pictures off it. Sansks.

gingivitis the wart
Aug 14, 2005

I'm the best you will ever have.

Lungs posted:

Some of the images on Peter Beste's site are great but it's in flash and I'm too dumb to know how to save pictures off it. Sansks.
Print screen key and paste into an image editor for Windows, Cmd Shift 3 on Mac.

Eventh
Sep 22, 2004

I may ravage and plunder, but my knickers were bought from Victoria's Secret.

Lungs posted:

Can anybody point to somewhere I can find some nice good quality BM images? I need some for a presentation I'm doing next week and I'm finding it hard to find decent ones. Some of the images on Peter Beste's site are great but it's in flash and I'm too dumb to know how to save pictures off it. Sansks.

Frost

Gorgoroth

Immortal

Mayhem

Lungs
Dec 20, 2005
Thanks, fellers.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

I am, how you say, Russian Guyovich
I haven't been listening to too much new BM (I haven't heard anything of note come out this year so far), I have been spinning two albums a lot on my iPod.

Bergraven - Dodsvisioner

Here's a mini review I posted somewhere else:
Ambient, "depressive" modern black metal, ambient post-black metal, whatever you wanna call it, this album is definitely a gem for any fan of black metal released in the past decade. Released on Total Holocaust Records in Europe... and Hydra Head in the US (drat hipsters), you can already guess that it's not gonna be typical 2nd wave aggro/minimalist BM (loving Pitchfork reviewed it, ugh), however, compared to some of the other "hipster-friendly" black metal that's come out recently, this one's through and through black loving metal. It has a bit of a post-rock aesthetic, but the post rock in this album is completely negligible or not even existent. It's doomy, riff-laden (like Swedish BM typically is), a bit dissonant (similarly to Deathspell Omega), and incredibly ambient, with haunting melodies soaring above (reminds me a bit of a couple songs off of Blut Aus Nord's Ultima Thulee); black metal that's just my loving style.

Hail - Inheritance of Evilness

Awesome first-wave influenced BM that brings the riffs with a lot of doom and some death influences.

private message
Aug 22, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
I just saw that Lutomysl's new album "De Profundis" is coming out soon! I'm pretty excited as Catharsis is a great black metal album.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Finally got to listen to Mirrorthrone's new album, Gangrene.

I usually don't judge until a couple of listens but goddamn this is awesome.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Eventh posted:

Immortal
no that's not right this picture is missing horgh

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 20, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Finally got to listen to Mirrorthrone's new album, Gangrene.

I usually don't judge until a couple of listens but goddamn this is awesome.

WHAT?! Goddamn I'm always out of the loop. I wonder if it's for sale yet...