Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Now this stretch of episodes is the 12-parter? I'd rather watch them all in one block if possible, so this is going to be another painful wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005
I am currently working my way through the original series, making sure not to watch too many episodes at a time to enjoy the show as long as possible. I have just seen episode 82 and wow, I completely did not see Yang's death coming at all this early. It has been a long time since the death of an anime character actually affected me, but this show has definitely succeeded in it, especially because of the way in which it was presented; nearly without any buildup. I wonder how the nearly thirty remaining episodes will fare without his presence.

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

sicut patribus sit deus nobis

Funny Bunny posted:

I am currently working my way through the original series, making sure not to watch too many episodes at a time to enjoy the show as long as possible. I have just seen episode 82 and wow, I completely did not see Yang's death coming at all this early. It has been a long time since the death of an anime character actually affected me, but this show has definitely succeeded in it, especially because of the way in which it was presented; nearly without any buildup. I wonder how the nearly thirty remaining episodes will fare without his presence.

82+: I actually stopped watching for about a month after that happened. I even knew it was coming, because I'm an idiot and watched the end-of-episode previews, which have a habit of giving away practically everything. The rest of the show definitely feels his absence, and it's different, but they manage to pull it off all the way to the end.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Its been years since I last saw this show, but it was so worth it. I don't know why, but I stopped watching at around when 45 or so was translated, probably due to the long release waits, it just kind of slipped my mind. But in the past month or so I found them on my hardrive again then downloaded and marathoned the rest over about a week or so. I think I'm going to have to re watch everything soon, just to get a feeling of how it all goes together. By the time I rediscovered this thread it was way ahead and full of spoilers so I kind of stayed away, though I wish I had stayed current now. Even if I hadn't already known, LoGH just seems like a show that would attract an incredible fanbase.

HangFire
May 23, 2007
Te ad quaerere a feles coerco!

Schwarzwald posted:

Are all 100+ episodes as good as the first one?

Quick answer: yes.

Longer answer: no. It gets better. As you understand the universe better and get to know the characters you'll have a much greater understanding of what's going on.. Honestly, I think that this is the best Space Opera / Political Sci-fi that I will ever see.

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005
After having let us wait for nearly a month, Central Anime is back with more Legend of the Galactic Heroes Gaiden, and this time it's two episodes at once!

Gaiden 4 - 05
Gaiden 4 - 05 h264

Gaiden 4 - 06
Gaiden 4 - 06 h264

The filesizes are a bit larger than usual this time, because, as stated by Heibi2 on their forums, they are messing with the filesizes a bit for better quality.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Funny Bunny posted:

The filesizes are a bit larger than usual this time, because, as stated by Heibi2 on their forums, they are messing with the filesizes a bit for better quality.
Still using avi for h.264 though :(

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Who cares? Any player worth using will play it back identically.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

That FUCKER Obama posted:

Who cares? Any player worth using will play it back identically.
It's simply a dumb encoding choice. You have to go fairly out of your way to encode h.264 in avi, and by doing so you're only making things difficult on yourself because avi cannot handle just about all of the functionality of h.264 that makes it superior to XviD in the first place, such as B frames. It increases overhead and reduces compressibility, making the resulting file possibly bigger than if it were in a proper container. As forplayback, DirectShow likely wouldn't have any problems, but it's also very possible to get funky results on other players. It's unreliable and not worth the trouble, especially when it's a whole lot easier to start out with mkv or mp4 right from the start.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 10, 2008

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The difference in overhead on a 25-minute file is a couple of MB and that is the only difference you will notice if you use a halfway functional player. The video stream is identical whatever the container. Just re-mux it to MKV after you download it if it bothers you that much.

Xvid uses B-frames, by the way, in AVI and otherwise. I don't know where you got your talking points.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Xvid uses B-frames, by the way, in AVI and otherwise. I don't know where you got your talking points.
I was under the impression that XviD suffered from the same problems (E: since both XviD and h.264 are part of the MPEG-4 standard), with the issue more pronounced in h.264. The avi container is pretty outdated for many of the codecs it is often used with.

Regardless, it's just unnecessary, and so easy from the encoding side of things to fix.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 11, 2008

Mac109
May 23, 2007
so anyways episodes 4-5 and 4-6 were pretty great. Definitely liking this arc a lot more than the other mini-arcs. I also like that Kircheis kicked rear end with his axe, really anything with Kircheis kicking rear end is great though

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Now this stretch of episodes is the 12-parter? I'd rather watch them all in one block if possible, so this is going to be another painful wait.

Just watch the drat things and stop worrying. :)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Chris Knight posted:

Just watch the drat things and stop worrying. :)

I made it through the original series, waiting for it to be complete before watching. Or well, nearly complete, since I knew it would take time to watch obviously. It's just a thing I do, don't let it bother ya.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

I was under the impression that XviD suffered from the same problems (E: since both XviD and h.264 are part of the MPEG-4 standard), with the issue more pronounced in h.264. The avi container is pretty outdated for many of the codecs it is often used with.

Regardless, it's just unnecessary, and so easy from the encoding side of things to fix.

After some experimentation, I believe the issue is with B-frames being able to reference more than one previous frame, which is a feature of H.264 but not Xvid. So if it is encoded directly to AVI, that feature will not be available, and if it is encoded to MKV, it cannot be remuxed as an AVI, or at least VirtualDubMod won't let me do it because of incompatible compression.

So you were right, although I still don't think it's a big enough deal to lament. I would much rather have them include the Dolby Digital audio than change from AVI to MKV, for example, because that would actually have some small effect my experience.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004
It's pretty interesting seeing how Reinhard and Kircheis roll with things out of their control and always end up one step closer to where we see them in the main series.
In the series it always seemed like Reinhard was more in control and chose his battles (or chose how to steer the battles he found himself in) towards a specific goal more closely within reach.

I wonder, would it be better for someone new to the series to start out with these prequel episodes? I'm sure the viewing experience would be slightly different, depending on which you saw first.

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
I'd start them off on the main storyline myself. I think there's too much about the LoGH universe, and not as much of an investment in the characters, that a newcomer wouldn't get pulled into the story as well starting anywhere else.

I'd have to think about the movies though. The first one might be a good alternative introduction (also takes place earlier then the main series), especially if they like large battles and they don't want to start from the beginning of the series.

abbad0n fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 11, 2008

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
Finally more Gaiden is out:

Gaiden Story 4 episode 7: xvid h264

Gaiden Story 4 episode 8: xvid h264

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Funny Bunny posted:

I think that Kircheis dying was a more significant event. There was no one that could fill his shoes. Things would have gone much differently had he stayed alive.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

abbad0n posted:

Finally more Gaiden is out:

Gaiden Story 4 episode 7: xvid h264

Gaiden Story 4 episode 8: xvid h264

This thread fell too fast and I didn't catch this, hmph. Wellp, time for more logh

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

cgeq posted:

This thread fell too fast and I didn't catch this, hmph. Wellp, time for more logh

Thanks for the bump, I think a lot of us missed it.

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
That bump must have been magic. More episodes released:

Gaiden Story 4 episode 9: xvid h264

Gaiden Story 4 episode 10: xvid h264

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
More goodness:

Gaiden Story 4 episode 11: xvid h264

Edit:

And more:

Gaiden Story 4 episode 12: xvid h264

abbad0n fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 17, 2008

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Holy crap, two updates within two weeks. :buddy:

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

abbad0n posted:

More goodness:

Gaiden Story 4 episode 11: xvid h264

Edit:

And more:

Gaiden Story 4 episode 12: xvid h264

Poplan and more Rosen Ritters. :neckbeard:

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
CA is remastering from DVD source:

LOGH Episode 01(DVD)
LOGH Episode 02(DVD)

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
AND THE CYCLE CONTINUES...

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Good quality on these. The colors are much better and that weird shaking problem in some scenes is gone. Then again, the files are twice as large. In fact I'd say unnecessarily so, and why didn't they go with x264 for the codec? Oh well, can't complain I suppose.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
:siren: LOGH (PC) GAME TRAILER:siren:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zorak posted:

Ha ha, holy crap that's awesome.

In the back of my mind during every space battle scene was the idea, "this would be an awesome videogame."

Lo and behold, it appears to now be made into an awesome videogame.

Hopefully the interface will be intuitive enough that it won't take too long to figure out, as you know this'll never be translated into English.

Loved the, "Ginga no rekeshi ga, mata ichi pegi" bit at the end.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Zorak posted:

Even the demo computer chokes on tens of thousands of starships blowing each other to hell.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Wonder what the chances are of this being any good? Regardless, I don't think I'd want to play a strategy game without understanding what the hell's going on.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Has anyone seen this? A new anime series based on Tanaka's other epic space opera, Tytania, directed by the same guy who did LOGH. Intriguing, to say the least.

Edit: same sound director and animation studio as well, apparently.

Ragg fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 6, 2008

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Nichol posted:

AND THE CYCLE CONTINUES...

Oh god yes.

Lizking
Mar 10, 2007

Don't worry, we'll englighten them...

Zorak posted:

It will probably never be brought to the US :(
Unless the anime series is also licensed and somehow gains massive popularity stateside.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Lizking posted:

It will probably never be brought to the US :(
Unless the anime series is also licensed and somehow gains massive popularity stateside.

Yes, but PC games aren't region locked, and LOGH is sort of a series that likes using English (or German) on things, so maybe the menus will be English :iiam:

Kircheis
Aug 14, 2007
In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.

Ragg posted:

Wonder what the chances are of this being any good? Regardless, I don't think I'd want to play a strategy game without understanding what the hell's going on.

Holy crap, that's finally being made? Awesome! I was at the LOGH panel at Anime Expo back in 2002 when they showed off some designs from it, and said that it was going into production soon. Then it disappeared from the face of the planet. Good to see it's finally going to come out.

Edit: I actually had the LOGH game for the Sega Saturn, but unfortunately it was walls and walls of text, followed by a confusing interface that I never could figure out. Hopefully the new game will be more accessible.

Lizking
Mar 10, 2007

Don't worry, we'll englighten them...

Kircheis posted:

Holy crap, that's finally being made? Awesome! I was at the LOGH panel at Anime Expo back in 2002 when they showed off some designs from it, and said that it was going into production soon. Then it disappeared from the face of the planet. Good to see it's finally going to come out.

Edit: I actually had the LOGH game for the Sega Saturn, but unfortunately it was walls and walls of text, followed by a confusing interface that I never could figure out. Hopefully the new game will be more accessible.

from what I could see in the trailer, it looked like a pretty straight forward point and click squad-based RTS

except instead of squads with 4-8 soldiers you have fleets of thousands ships.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Big day today, looks like we also get the first two eps of the Spiral Labyrinth OVA.

Episode 1: Xvid h.264

Episode 2: Xvid h.264

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Big day today, looks like we also get the first two eps of the Spiral Labyrinth OVA.

Episode 1: Xvid h.264

Episode 2: Xvid h.264

:hellyeah:

Ragg posted:

Has anyone seen this? A new anime series based on Tanaka's other epic space opera, Tytania, directed by the same guy who did LOGH. Intriguing, to say the least.

Edit: same sound director and animation studio as well, apparently.

Also, this looks like it could be good.