Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

http://austin.craigslist.org/car/649753482.html

"Needs a Radiator."

So would I regret going and getting this for $900?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

balakadaka posted:

I've heard the Hawk's are good. I personally chose the Axxis XBG's. They seem to dust much less than stocks, not a very bad decrease in stopping power.

Did you get your Axxis from this group buy on Bimmerforums by any chance?

Looks like it would cost $38x2 for my fronts and $28x2 for my rears (E36 M) if I go through that.

edit: looks like I'm dense. It's actually per pair. So the Axxis cost half the Hawks.

The cheapest I've been able to find the Hawk's are ~$70 per pair. I wish I could find a review comparing them.

You didn't mention if your pads are noisy. I know most metallic pads are noisier than ceramic, but again, I can't find anyone mentioning this.

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 21, 2008

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I'M A STUPID CAPRICIOUS CUNT WITH NO TESTICLES
P.S. I AM A LIAR, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
I'm up to something naughty here..

they last twin-turbo manifold busted itself in half, the welds were pretty lovely. And I didn't like that it blocked the spark plugs.. I'm doing this one up low-mount, and it will be a split-pulse style design. :D

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rear Admiral BOOYA posted:

"Needs a Radiator."

I'd be more worried about the 'runs and drives but needs a radiator.' Have they been driving without a radiator?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

^^^^ It could have a slow leak, or just be on the verge of failing. Hard to say without actually looking under the hood.

"Needs a Radiator."

I'd go for it. If it dies you can sell it off as a parts car. And if it really only needs a radiator, you have an awesomely fun car to drive.

AriocTheVagrant
Jul 12, 2005
On Friday I went and traded in my much-loved 1995 530i 5-speed.
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m182/ariocthevagrant/DSC00782.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m182/ariocthevagrant/DSC00796.jpg

Sad as I was to see her go, I picked up a 1999 540i Sport in spectacular condition. She has 98,000 miles, and every sheet of paper that's ever been associated with her has been saved- even the original window sticker.
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m182/ariocthevagrant/DSC00555.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m182/ariocthevagrant/DSC00550.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m182/ariocthevagrant/DSC00544.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m182/ariocthevagrant/DSC00537.jpg

Gets horrible gas mileage, but what a magnificent car.

EDIT: The wheels on my new e39 are in need of some restoration- nothing absurd, but I'm a perfectionist. I've heard of a Baltimore-Washington area mobile wheel restoration service that does really great work- any recommendations from Baltimore/DC goons?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

AriocTheVagrant posted:

Sad as I was to see her go, I picked up a 1999 540i Sport in spectacular condition.

Very nice. Driving an e39 540i is what made me fall in love with cars. It was the first time I ever drove something that seemed to literally beg you to drive faster. In other words, watch that speedometer carefully. ;)

AriocTheVagrant
Jul 12, 2005

TheMadMilkman posted:

Very nice. Driving an e39 540i is what made me fall in love with cars. It was the first time I ever drove something that seemed to literally beg you to drive faster. In other words, watch that speedometer carefully. ;)

Yeah- I was doing 70 in 4th gear on my drive home on I-95, and didn't realize it. Then I looked down and went "oh crap, I still have two more gears!" It was marvelous.

I agree about the driving experience too. Much as I loved my e34, this thing is light-years ahead in every way, shape, and form- although the increased use of electronics in the cabin, etc. just has me waiting for stuff to start going wrong. Still, seeing this for the first time in person rendered me totally immobile and speechless (i.e. I knew I had to have it)

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom

Wiglaf posted:

they last twin-turbo manifold busted itself in half, the welds were pretty lovely. And I didn't like that it blocked the spark plugs.. I'm doing this one up low-mount, and it will be a split-pulse style design. :D

Sweet!

Are you going to start a project thread for this? Also what is a split-pulse design?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
There's a pretty cool project over on the turbo forums. A guy bought an E30 325es and is swapping a Ford turbo 2.3 4 cylinder into it. Should save a ton of weight and allow extremely easy horsepower gains. They also have the added bonus of knocking down 30+mpg while still making 300hp.
You can pick up turbo 2.3s for well under $100 in running condition all day long as they were used in a ton of Thunderbirds and other Ford cars besides the SVO Mustangs. Could be a good idea for you track rats or Lemons folks.

Comedy picture option:

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 21, 2008

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

AriocTheVagrant posted:

Sad as I was to see her go, I picked up a 1999 540i Sport in spectacular condition. She has 98,000 miles, and every sheet of paper that's ever been associated with her has been saved- even the original window sticker.

Gets horrible gas mileage, but what a magnificent car.

EDIT: The wheels on my new e39 are in need of some restoration- nothing absurd, but I'm a perfectionist. I've heard of a Baltimore-Washington area mobile wheel restoration service that does really great work- any recommendations from Baltimore/DC goons?

Nice car and one of my favorite colors. I think I recognize that parking lot, did you get it at Auto Advantage in Manassas? As far as the wheel refinishing, I don't know about any place local to the DC area, but https://www.wheelcollision.com is very well recommended in the BMW circles. They offer exchange prices on refinished wheels and yours are $235 each if you trade in your old wheels. They will also refinish wheels but that looks to be just as much in your case.

AriocTheVagrant
Jul 12, 2005

Brock Landers posted:

Nice car and one of my favorite colors. I think I recognize that parking lot, did you get it at Auto Advantage in Manassas? As far as the wheel refinishing, I don't know about any place local to the DC area, but https://www.wheelcollision.com is very well recommended in the BMW circles. They offer exchange prices on refinished wheels and yours are $235 each if you trade in your old wheels. They will also refinish wheels but that looks to be just as much in your case.

Linton Motorspot in Manassas, but I think Auto Advantage is right next door to it and they share a lot. Can't recommend them enough: they can find really rare stuff if you want it (e.g. they had an e28 with 35k original miles and full paperwork). And when I bought my car, Jamie (the guy I worked with) tossed on a new set of Kumhos, had the valve gaskets replaced, and replaced the leather in the passenger seat and rear seats.

Thanks for the tip- that's a huge help!

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I'M A STUPID CAPRICIOUS CUNT WITH NO TESTICLES
P.S. I AM A LIAR, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Jonontherun posted:

Sweet!

Are you going to start a project thread for this? Also what is a split-pulse design?

i had one on here for the first go-around but it's off in the archives.
luckily i'm enough of a whore to have one going on another board.

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38917

balakadaka
Jun 30, 2005

robot terrorists WILL kill you

Pissingintowind posted:

Did you get your Axxis from this group buy on Bimmerforums by any chance?

Looks like it would cost $38x2 for my fronts and $28x2 for my rears (E36 M) if I go through that.

edit: looks like I'm dense. It's actually per pair. So the Axxis cost half the Hawks.

The cheapest I've been able to find the Hawk's are ~$70 per pair. I wish I could find a review comparing them.

You didn't mention if your pads are noisy. I know most metallic pads are noisier than ceramic, but again, I can't find anyone mentioning this.

No, I didn't do a group buy. As for noise, I can't notice a difference between stock. I've never ran full ceramic on my pads, can't tell vs. the Hawk's.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

balakadaka posted:

No, I didn't do a group buy. As for noise, I can't notice a difference between stock. I've never ran full ceramic on my pads, can't tell vs. the Hawk's.

Wait, do you have an M? Because my stock pads are extremely noisy and dusty.

Date with Ikea
Dec 1, 2005
Nice to see some other WVU people here. I'll be starting grad school there in a few weeks.

Anyway, I've had a 2001 325i automatic (yeah, I know) for about a month and a half now. It has about 99,000 miles and runs darn well. It came from a family friend, so I know it was maintained well. However, every once in a while it simply stalls out as I accelerate after coming to a stop. It has happened 3 times now, and in each case, the car has started cold, driven around for a short amount of time, turned off for a few minutes, started up again, and then driven. THAT'S when it stalls. Any ideas what's going on here? Do I need to pull out the ICV and check it out?

Date with Ikea fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 22, 2008

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Date with Ikea posted:

Nice to see some other WVU people here. I'll be starting grad school there in a few weeks.

Anyway, I've had a 2001 325i automatic (yeah, I know) for about a month and a half now. It has about 99,000 miles and runs darn well. It came from a family friend, so I know it was maintained well. However, every once in a while it simply stalls out as I accelerate after coming to a stop. It has happened 3 times now, and in each case, the car has started cold, driven around for a short amount of time, turned off for a few minutes, started up again, and then driven. THAT'S when it stalls. Any ideas what's going on here? Do I need to pull out the ICV and check it out?

On my dads M52 dual vanos there was a brittle vacuum line going to the SAI thingie-ma-jigger. It's the little silver cylinder on the exhaust side of the engine mounted towards the front of the car. You can't miss it. Just check the lines and see if they're brittle. If they aren't, check for other vacuum leaks.

Date with Ikea
Dec 1, 2005

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

On my dads M52 dual vanos there was a brittle vacuum line going to the SAI thingie-ma-jigger. It's the little silver cylinder on the exhaust side of the engine mounted towards the front of the car. You can't miss it. Just check the lines and see if they're brittle. If they aren't, check for other vacuum leaks.

Thanks, I'll take a look next time I use the car. I've been doing a bit more searching, and I've seen a few people saying that a faulty camshaft position sensor causes pretty much EXACTLY what I've experienced. Anyway, I just hope it's one of the three problems we've listed here.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Date with Ikea posted:

Thanks, I'll take a look next time I use the car. I've been doing a bit more searching, and I've seen a few people saying that a faulty camshaft position sensor causes pretty much EXACTLY what I've experienced. Anyway, I just hope it's one of the three problems we've listed here.

The 2001 was M54. Not sure it matters.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

maxallen posted:

The 2001 was M54. Not sure it matters.

For all intents and purposes the M52TU and M54 were more or less the same engine in this regard. I thought it was the camshaft position sensor going out too, but then a heard a loud click in the engine bay and the engine stumbled right after that. I traced it back to a vacuum leak. If nothing else, a vacuum leak is cheaper than a CPS, so might as well start there.

balakadaka
Jun 30, 2005

robot terrorists WILL kill you

Pissingintowind posted:

Wait, do you have an M? Because my stock pads are extremely noisy and dusty.

Yes, I've got an M3. To be fair, when I changed the pads my suspension was so lovely I didn't notice the brake noise. That and my tires were nasty, so road noise was considerable in the slightest. Did notice the dust though, goddamn.

usurper
Oct 19, 2003

Sup

AriocTheVagrant posted:

I do have a recommendation.

http://www.wheelcollision.com/ You want to drag your wheels to Wheel Collision in Bath, PA. They do complete reconditioning, finishing, and straightening for a ton of wheel types (and especially BMW). I had some bent chrome wheels on my M5, and was looking to get back to the stock "black diamond" look. They found a used stock set for me, completely stripped them, straightened and refinished them. I had some new Pilot Sport PS2s shipped there directly from tire rack and:

WC gets recommendations on many BMW/Porsche boards, and I've had nothing but good service from them.

Swap_File
Nov 24, 2004
WIN386.SWP

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'm looking for a steering rack for an E30 (particularly my '85 325e) in or near Minneapolis.

UPullRParts had a few E30s, but I think they all got recently crushed. Check their online inventory to see the new stuff they are getting in:

http://www.upullrparts.com/

The prices are awesome, but the cars do get picked over pretty fast. I recently grabbed a few nice leather pieces off the 92 750il that is at the northern yard, and I think I paid a total of $5.

Swap_File fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 23, 2008

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Swap_File posted:

UPullRParts had a few E30s, but I think they all got recently crushed. Check their online inventory to see the new stuff they are getting in:

http://www.upullrparts.com/

The prices are awesome, but the cars do get picked over pretty fast. I grabbed a few nice leather pieces off the 92 750il that is at the northern yard.

Heh, I was just at the Rosemount location on Sunday but it was too rusty for me to remove with the tools I had. I know the East Bethel one has an E30 but I was talking with someone on a different forum who claimed to have taken the rack from that one...

AriocTheVagrant
Jul 12, 2005

usurper posted:

I do have a recommendation.

http://www.wheelcollision.com/ You want to drag your wheels to Wheel Collision in Bath, PA. They do complete reconditioning, finishing, and straightening for a ton of wheel types (and especially BMW). I had some bent chrome wheels on my M5, and was looking to get back to the stock "black diamond" look. They found a used stock set for me, completely stripped them, straightened and refinished them. I had some new Pilot Sport PS2s shipped there directly from tire rack and:

WC gets recommendations on many BMW/Porsche boards, and I've had nothing but good service from them.

That's two recommendations- I'm almost certainly gonna go with them, once I have some cash to do the work. Thanks!

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
label switching is fun. i can relate to that.

"Needs a Radiator."

gently caress no, if all it needs is a radiator, you need to buy it or turn in your keys to the AI clubhouse.

Kian
Dec 11, 2004
Right now, I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
This 320CIA or this one?

Worth paying that extra for the facelifted model?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Kian posted:

This 320CIA or this one?

Worth paying that extra for the facelifted model?

drat it sucks to buy cars in Singapore. This Singapore car salesman was telling me how his friend's 07 base Camry cost 60k USD in Singapore.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

I just installed adjustable lower control arms on my E36. Holy poo poo it's stupid easy to get a differential out of a BMW.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

I have a lame question. I have a set of OEM Rims for a 1995 540i, and I have no clue what the best way to sell them is. People on Craigslist just lowball me, and I don't want to deal with ebay. So is there some site or avenue I'm not aware of that would be good and reliable to get rid of them?

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

*oops, double post*

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

God, I love BMWs. I have the Bimmer Fever and have been lookin' to buy an e30. I have a low budget so it's hard, but I missed out on a nice '87 325, an '89 325iX, an '89 325i and a '91 325is (I think) convertible. Happy hunting.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I just installed adjustable lower control arms on my E36. Holy poo poo it's stupid easy to get a differential out of a BMW.

How do you like them? Is the extra strength noticable, or is it just for the adjustability?

I just installed a set of Powerflex trailing arm bushings. It was a lot easier than I expected, took less than 3 hours total. I havnt tested them out yet as I just got out of the shower and am drinking a victory beer

User Error fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 23, 2008

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

It really is, isnt it. I swapped out the diff on my E30 this past weekend. 5 bolts plus 4 more for the driveshaft. I already had both axles off, but I suppose those bolts count too.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Super Aggro Crag posted:

God, I love BMWs. I have the Bimmer Fever and have been lookin' to buy an e30. I have a low budget so it's hard, but I missed out on a nice '87 325, an '89 325iX, an '89 325i and a '91 325is (I think) convertible. Happy hunting.

Me too, man. I'd love to get an e30 325iX coupe as a winter beater. They're just hard to find up here in Alaska. I've found a couple, but none worth buying because it wasn't what I exactly wanted (manual, coupe, working). It's like, my dream winter car.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

^^^Could you buy one now since it's getting warmer and work on it over the summer?

chem42 posted:

How do you like them? Is the extra strength noticable, or is it just for the adjustability?

I just installed a set of Powerflex trailing arm bushings. It was a lot easier than I expected, took less than 3 hours total. I havnt tested them out yet as I just got out of the shower and am drinking a victory beer

Mostly for the adjustability, but they are a hell of a lot beefier than the stamped stock control arms, especially since I got the $190 steel ones from BimmerWorld. When I lowered my car I got about 3 degrees of negative chamber in the back, and I want to dial that back to about 2 degrees. I've chewed through a set of tires in about 3000 miles, thank god I hate the tires. Now I just have to do a ghetto alignment to keep the car on the road for another month so I can by new tires and get a real alignment done.

I did M3 RTAB + Rogue RTAB shims this past weekend and the rear end seems a lot more solid. I also replaced the tie rods because the boots for the ball joints were cracked and the ball joints themselves were making noise. Now all I have to do is get the drat outter lower control arm bushings out so I can replace it with the 96+ M3 balljoints and I'll be done with the suspension on this car. Then it's tranny mounts, motor mounts, rebuild the shifter, subframe bushings, M3 subframe reinforcements, ignition coils, and fuel pressure regulator. Then I can finally start doing some power mods.

Dyscrasia posted:

It really is, isnt it. I swapped out the diff on my E30 this past weekend. 5 bolts plus 4 more for the driveshaft. I already had both axles off, but I suppose those bolts count too.

The E36 has you beat, only three bolts holding the diff in :). Plus the 12 torx bolts for the half shafts, and 4 for the driveshaft. I had been putting off installing these control arms because I didn't want to deal with moving the diff around, but drat, it really was too easy.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

^^^Could you buy one now since it's getting warmer and work on it over the summer?

Yeah. Which is what I would do. but the trouble is finding one. I've seen two for sale in the past year. One was a four door import from Canada that was trashed, and the other was a decent coupe in a manual. Which would have worked but I wasn't ready to buy. My best bet is to find one in the Pacific Northwest and ship it up. But, that sketches me out, especially on a 20 year old car. I'm just patiently waiting for the right car to come along. I'm not mechanically inclined in any fashion, which is something I'm trying to slowly learn. I'd hope to find a already 'daily drivable' e30 because I don't have garage space for a complete build-up, or for it to spend most of its time on jack stands.

Minimaul fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 23, 2008

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Having a problem with my 325e:

When the car is cold it runs just fine for the first block or two then it starts to bog at about 2500rpm and I slowly lose speed. The only way to get power is to lift off the gas pedal and push it in again and it "catches" at a particular point at lets me accelerate but I need to keep doing that until the car warms up, then it drives just fine. It will rev all the way to the limiter with the clutch in, but not while it's in gear. I also smell gasoline as I'm driving, but that's been the case for the past couple weeks.

This problem didn't come up until Tuesday when I tried to replace my o2 sensor (couldn't get it out...) but I did replace the tranny mounts.

From some E30 forums I posted on, I've been hearing anything from o2 sensor, dirty injectors, coolant temp sensor, fuel filter...

Any other ideas before I order parts this afternoon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Wiglaf posted:

So you gonna have that ready in time to hit up Mid-O or Nelson this year??