Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dealmaster
Dec 24, 2005

Somebody call for an exterminator?
Here's my setup, just hooked up in the past two days (moving sucks).

Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
Onkyo TX-SR605
Playstation 3
JBL Venue Stadium floorstanding speakers
JBL Venue Voice center speaker
Time Warner Cable HD-DVR

I'm planning on adding a sub fairly soon and then rear surrounds some time after that. This TV is absolutely incredible, it really impresses me every time I watch something on it, but when there's a Bluray hooked into it, it's just glorious. The blacks are so deep and the colors are really, really vibrant. It is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waramp
Aug 20, 2004

HALO
TWENTY SIX

dealmaster posted:

Here's my setup, just hooked up in the past two days (moving sucks).

Where'd you get that entertainment unit? It looks quite nice. Is there glass in front of the components on the bottom or are they open?

dealmaster
Dec 24, 2005

waramp posted:

Where'd you get that entertainment unit? It looks quite nice. Is there glass in front of the components on the bottom or are they open?

Thanks! I got it at Office Depot of all places. I was in there looking for a desk and noticed that for sale. The base and hutch come separately, I think I paid $100 for the base and $125 for the hutch. It came with a glass door for the components on the bottom, but I took it off because the PS3 started overheating, being starved for air down in there. It sounded like a jet was going to take off, so I just took the door off.

Gargonovitch
Feb 23, 2008

I dunno how many years on this Earth I got left... I'm gonna get real WEIRD with it...

I think I win, guys! Not a fake, this is actually it.

Jayx77
Sep 5, 2004

NO! JUMP THE OTHER WAY!!!

Gargonovitch posted:

Hahaha I cant believe there is actually a Wii hooked up to that.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Gargonovitch posted:

Back when people bought their TVs at furniture stores.

How ARE you hooking a Wii up to that thing anyway? I can't imagine it has any modern connections on the back.

dealmaster
Dec 24, 2005

Gargonovitch posted:

That's an impressive Nintendo whorehouse.

Gargonovitch
Feb 23, 2008

I dunno how many years on this Earth I got left... I'm gonna get real WEIRD with it...

McCracAttack posted:

Back when people bought their TVs at furniture stores.

How ARE you hooking a Wii up to that thing anyway? I can't imagine it has any modern connections on the back.
It has an RF connector on the back, so I bought a composite to RF box. Video goes through there, and the audio cables go to my stereo.

dealmaster posted:

That's an impressive Nintendo whorehouse.
They do good work. Also, my PS2 isn't in there because I lent it to a friend after her DVD player broke, and there's a Genesis up top, there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Acc-Risk posted:

Sup Sony RPTV buddy across the pond (presumably you are US?) loving your Rotel.

Sony 50" Bravia 3xLCD HD RPTV
Denon AVR 1501
PS3 (selling in an hour to replace with HTPC)
Xbox 360
Xbox (XBMC)
Mission Floorstanders
Gale Centre

Kef rear bookshelves
Leather couch :D

Not a fan of the TV stand, it was in the apartment when we moved in so I put the proper Sony stand in my flatmates room. I wish there was room for a proper hifi stand for the Denon and the future-HTPC (and then future-future HDD enclosure) but I can't think of a good way to do it. And I'm broke as all hell now anyway.

On Unicornback
Oct 17, 2004

I just took the plunge and picked up a 32" lcd last night. There is a slight problem though with my center channel placement. The way I have it now looks pretty retarded, but I'm struggling to think of a decent solution. I'd prefer to not have to wall mount anything (rent) or buy a new TV stand.

I'd love to find some sort of bent metal shelf that would be about as wide as the top of my stand and tall enough to squeeze dvds under, but I have no idea how to find something like that.

Looks like the poster above me also has the awkward center in front of tv base issue too. Any ideas?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

On Unicornback posted:

I just took the plunge and picked up a 32" lcd last night. There is a slight problem though with my center channel placement. The way I have it now looks pretty retarded, but I'm struggling to think of a decent solution. I'd prefer to not have to wall mount anything (rent) or buy a new TV stand.

I'd love to find some sort of bent metal shelf that would be about as wide as the top of my stand and tall enough to squeeze dvds under, but I have no idea how to find something like that.

Looks like the poster above me also has the awkward center in front of tv base issue too. Any ideas?

Yeah, that's exactly why I didn't buy that particular stand. It's a shame because otherwise it looks rather nice. Try to find something sturdy to set your LCD on top of. At the very least try a stack of large books to see how you like it. And for God's sake be careful doing it.

Or, try placing the speaker off center in one of the shelves and see if you really even notice. Maybe if you took out the left shelf and stood the center channel on its end right up against the center divider?

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Does anyone have a good suggestion for some home automation stuff? I want something that I can control lighting as well as A/V stuff, but I haven't found any solutions that arent high dollar. I don't even know where to look for a cheaper solution. Any ideas?

theo400
Jun 30, 2004

SkaWes posted:

Does anyone have a good suggestion for some home automation stuff? I want something that I can control lighting as well as A/V stuff, but I haven't found any solutions that arent high dollar. I don't even know where to look for a cheaper solution. Any ideas?

I don't know what you consider high dollar, but you can get some of these

http://www.amazon.com/WS4777-3-WAY-Remote-Dimmer-Switch/dp/B00022OCFK

with a harmony 890 and you should be able to connect everything using that remote, remote goes for about $300 if I recall correctly.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

On Unicornback posted:

Don't use a dedicated center channel speaker. Running a phantom center sounds far more natural and real anyway. Just turn the center off in your receiver and give it a try.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

theo400 posted:

I don't know what you consider high dollar, but you can get some of these

http://www.amazon.com/WS4777-3-WAY-Remote-Dimmer-Switch/dp/B00022OCFK

with a harmony 890 and you should be able to connect everything using that remote, remote goes for about $300 if I recall correctly.

I was also going to mention the x10 stuff. You can get x10 lots for pretty cheap on Ebay a lot of the time if you aren't opposed to Ebay.

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

Lights go off when watching anything.

Display: Sony 46" WS RPTV CRT (1080i)

Speakers:
Mains - B&W DM602 S3
Sides - B&W DM601 S3
Center - none! Sold years ago, used to be a B&W LCR300. Center channels are scams!
Sub - HSU Research STF-2 (10")

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR-225

HTPC: P4 2.8ghz running Media Portal (on a custom stand sitting over my sub, to the right)

..built this entire setup a few years ago.. had the speakers + TV for about 5 years, and wouldn't mind upgrading most of it.

Would like to go 7 series with B&W, and go 65"+ DLP or projector for the display.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

King-Kong posted:

Center - none! Sold years ago, used to be a B&W LCR300. Center channels are scams!

That's a pretty bold statement and a pretty ridiculous one too.

A phantom center CAN sound just as good as have a true center channel speaker but it completely depends on the listening environment/setup and the listener.

I've experimented with this a bit in my theater and it always sounds better to me with the center channel in place than with the fronts handling the duties.

To say center channels are scams is going a bit overboard in my opinion.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.
Finally completed painting the downstairs walls in the new house, so I can get some pictures of my setup posted now that the living room is basically finished. The light's lovely today because it's overcast, really the whole area is very bright.

Whole living room:

Those blinds to the right are very thick, they block out 70% of the light when they're closed.

In-ceiling surrounds:

They look much more obvious in this photo than they really are, it's a camera artifact. they don't stick out at all, and unless you look up you pretty much don't notice they're present until they go to work. Then you REALLY know they're installed.

TV shelf close-up:

Equipment list:
  • Sony KDS-A2000 Display. SXRD, king of the RPTVs. Once these great beasts roamed the land in large numbers, but now their time has passed.
  • Sony STR-DG910 Receiver. Yeah, it's a Sony amp so it's crap, but it does 3 HDMI in, 4 video sources total, converts component and composite inputs to HDMI out, and it'll decode 7.1 PCM from HDMI and send the picture on to the TV without audio. All this for $300. Until I can get a proper receiver/pre-amp, this'll do nicely.
  • Playstation 3 w/ IR2BT
  • XBox 360 (launch day model, still no RROD) w/ HD-DVD
  • Nintendo Wii
  • DirecTV HR20 DVR.
  • Polk RT800i towers
  • Polk CS400i center
  • Polk PSW12 sub (floor model, picked up for $200 already nice & broken-in, or else I would have gotten a Velodyne).
  • Airport Express with Keyspan URM-17A IR receiver, which lets me shuffle tracks through a playlist with my remote when I'm streaming it, without having to go to the computer.

Whole thing's tied together by a Harmony 720 remote. Only component it can't control is the Wii.

TV stand is by Gusdorf, basic Circuit City el cheapo poo poo but it looks nice. Media shelving is by Boltz.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
What channel do the ceiling speakers provide?

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

Phillyt posted:

What channel do the ceiling speakers provide?

Rears for 7.1. They're located to the sides of and slightly above/behind the sofa.

Edit: You can't really tell from that pic, but viewing distance is about 10 feet.

Edit 2: They're handy for mood audio in the dining room area right behind the sofa if I don't want an obvious wall o' sound coming from the tv for dinner.

fahrvergnugen fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 22, 2008

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Still looking for some opinions on what I should upgrade next in my setup.

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V663
Fronts: Blueroom Minipod x 2
Center: Acoustic Research AR4C
Surrounds: Acoustic Research AR17 x 2
Subwoofer A: Sony SA-WM40
Subwoofer B: Sony SA-WM500

Should I keep the 2 lower-end subs for now and get some new fronts so I can rotate the older speakers to back for 7.1, or should I get rid of the subs first and get something in the 500-600 range to replace them?

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

BabyRyoga posted:

Should I keep the 2 lower-end subs for now and get some new fronts so I can rotate the older speakers to back for 7.1, or should I get rid of the subs first and get something in the 500-600 range to replace them?

I think if it were me, I would look at the weakest components first... Replacing the subs is a good start... $500-600 would get you a dynamite used sub... Velodyne SPL1000, B&W 675, etc.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

BabyRyoga posted:

I'd do something about your fronts and center being completely different makes. 7.1's probably overkill for your needs, and the amount of speakers isn't near as important as their quality and cohesiveness. Either get fronts that match your center, or a center to go with your fronts, or 3 new speakers. Or just try without a center and see how you like it.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Here's what I have to work with in my dorm room. I do the best I can!

My computer & Xbox 360. I hook up my 360 to my monitor. I watch DVDs on my PC too.

My DVD collection and a couple games.

Our mini fridge, a small TV with PS2 and my roommate's PC.

An old TV between out beds for regular TV watching. And my bookshelf under it to the right.

Gear Specs:

COMPUTER:
Monitor: 22" Samsung 226BW widescreen
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
CPU Fan: Zalman CNPS 9700
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
HDD: Western Digital Raptor 150GB
OD: Lite-On LH-20A1S w/ HD-DVD & Lightscribe
GFX: EVGA NVIDIA e-GeForce 8800GTS 320MB
RAM: 4 GB Corsair XM2 DDR2 (4 x 1 GB)
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 600 Watts

Speakers: Logitech THX Z-5300e 280 Watts RMS 5.1 Speaker (didn't need anything to loud for the dorms, but the bass is pretty loud!)

Console: Xbox 360 Premium. I put some fancy skin on it.

Headphones: Sennheiser HD-280 Pro

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Agedashi Tofu posted:

Apparently I was having lighting issues when I went to take these, because they look terrible. I was, of course, too lazy to go back downstairs and take new pictures once I noticed this - mainly because I'm sick of my 2nd hand craigslist furniture and will hopefully be posting my new and improved set up sometime next month after I've done some shopping.

Here is the room now:

- Sony XBR4 - 46"
- Low rent Sony receiver (will replace when I actually get surround sound)
- Paradigm Monitor5 speakers
- Sony subwoofer (looking to replace with a Hsu Subwoofer after the furniture re-tool)
- 360/PS3/Wii
- Apple TV
- Harmony One remote (I had to mention it because I love it)

Here's a head on view:

And just for fun, since they were nearby and all, a blurry shot of my headphones:

Also - I promised I'd take some shots with my bais lighting on a few posts back, so here they are. Should be obvious which is which. The pictures really don't do it justice at all, and Iike I'd said before - it doesn't do much for the overall picture quality, but more for how your eyes adjust to light and dark scenes:

Your furniture is awesome, you should teleport it to me when you get new stuff.

How did you get that lighting effect behind the set? I really like how that turned out.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

On Unicornback posted:

I have the exact same TV stand (and feet.) Although, I went with two of them side by side and got the clear doors with aluminum frames that you can put fabric behind. Came out really well since it hides all the components but the remote signal doesn't get blocked since the fabric is translucent. I'll have to get some pictures, I've been putting it off until I get these microbes made though.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.
Here's my humble college student setup:

Click for big.

Screen: Samsung 226BW 22" LCD Monitor
Sound: Some generic stereo I hooked up to my PC and Xbox, hiding behind my computer.
Headphones: Tritton AX360 Headset, surround sound headphones that work with my 360
Gaming: Xbox 360, Wii and PS2 (not pictured)
TV: Hauppage WinTV USB-2 Tuner Card, seen above my right speaker.
I also have my computer hooked up as a makeshift HTPC until I get my original Xbox modded up with XBMC. To the left of my Xbox is my laptop, since I know some of you are going to be asking.

To do:
Get a nice 32" LCD HDTD, surround sound system and a PS3 for blu-ray goodness. I also wanna get rid of that ugly wooden trim going around behind the setup and just general cleanup. I just got the TV stand yesterday and I'm loving it. Although I think I'd benefit from one of those fancy Keyboard and laptop mouse combo boards.

edit: images are hosted by my personal space.
double edit: Do you guys have any suggestions for ways to improve my setup?

Mugmoor fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 25, 2008

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Mugmoor posted:

Here's my humble college student setup:

Click for big.

Screen: Samsung 226BW 22" LCD Monitor
Sound: Some generic stereo I hooked up to my PC and Xbox, hiding behind my computer.
Headphones: Tritton AX360 Headset, surround sound headphones that work with my 360
Gaming: Xbox 360, Wii and PS2 (not pictured)
TV: Hauppage WinTV USB-2 Tuner Card, seen above my right speaker.
I also have my computer hooked up as a makeshift HTPC until I get my original Xbox modded up with XBMC. To the left of my Xbox is my laptop, since I know some of you are going to be asking.

To do:
Get a nice 32" LCD HDTD, surround sound system and a PS3 for blu-ray goodness. I also wanna get rid of that ugly wooden trim going around behind the setup and just general cleanup. I just got the TV stand yesterday and I'm loving it. Although I think I'd benefit from one of those fancy Keyboard and laptop mouse combo boards.

edit: images are hosted by my personal space.
double edit: Do you guys have any suggestions for ways to improve my setup?
Everytime I see a guitar next to a TV I think "Where are the buttons?"
In a related story I hate myself.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.

EpicNemesis posted:

Everytime I see a guitar next to a TV I think "Where are the buttons?"
In a related story I hate myself.

To be fair, my 360's Xplorer is behind the DVD tower :).

On Unicornback
Oct 17, 2004

My solution:

This + These =

Aglar
Jun 25, 2004
I like the kok
More than a poor university student should spend on this kind of stuff. At least I know where my priorities are ;)

Sony Bravia KDL-37M3000 37" LCD
Xbox 360
Xbox with XBMC
Wii
Some old Samsung DVD player and I don't use (doesn't upconvert)
Need speakers (suggestions?)

The stand came free with an old CRT TV I bought for $50 a few years ago, works well enough with a few modifications.

RandomG
Mar 7, 2004
I LUV HONDA <3 ~<3 ~ <3 ~<3 ~ <3 ~<3 ~

Scrapez posted:

That's a pretty bold statement and a pretty ridiculous one too.

A phantom center CAN sound just as good as have a true center channel speaker but it completely depends on the listening environment/setup and the listener.

I've experimented with this a bit in my theater and it always sounds better to me with the center channel in place than with the fronts handling the duties.

To say center channels are scams is going a bit overboard in my opinion.

I think I'll take his side, if you looked at his room, the distance between the left and right speakers is small compared to the distance to the listening position. It looks like there's less than a 40 degree angle between the two speakers and the listening position. I don't see the speaker there for the sound stage doing much, and I doubt the left and rights are really "overloaded" with too much to do. Then again, I've never had better than a htib.

Got KarmA?
Sep 11, 2001

Life is a game. Have fun losing!

On Unicornback posted:

My solution:

This + These =

That's pretty loving slick dude. Thanks for the idea!

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

No TV, so I guess it's really just an A/ setup. The 360 is essentially ornamental.

Speakers: Paradigm Monitors 7s.
Amp: Rotel RA-1062.
Turntable: Thorens TD-190.

The home made bass traps work quite well. CDs and MP3s are provided by the computer. I'm pretty happy with it.

Bumpon10s
Dec 9, 2004

Gentleman, we have seen the future.

steckles posted:

No TV, so I guess it's really just an A/ setup. The 360 is essentially ornamental.

A projector setup and some wire management could make your setup pretty sweet.

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006
I'm looking for a cabinet for keeping the components of my setup in. MY TV stand is a dark cherry "wood" color. It needs to be fairly wide, something like 20" wide inside dimensions. And probably should be at least 4 shelves. Any good suggestions? I'm thinking closed cabinet with a door, but I am a little worried about overheating so maybe open air would be better. I checked Ikea quickly and couldn't really see anything that fit the bill.

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice

steckles posted:

The home made bass traps work quite well. CDs and MP3s are provided by the computer. I'm pretty happy with it.

What did you make those out of?

Also, beautiful setup. Who needs a tv when you have amazing speakers? :colbert:

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Dreadite posted:

What did you make those out of?

They're a square made of quarter-inch ply filled with five layers of Armstrong acoustic ceiling panels and wrapped in canvas.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

steckles posted:

Speakers: Paradigm Monitors 7s.
Amp: Rotel RA-1062.
Turntable: Thorens TD-190.

Katana, Nazi hat and Dreamcast controller? Nice looking set-up, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Katana, Nazi hat and Dreamcast controller? Nice looking set-up, though.
Don't forget the collection of Star Wars Pez dispensers and Chinese lizard wine. And that's an entire Dreamcast, thank you very much. :colbert: