Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Dillinger posted:

Since when is Murphy's Law a meathead band

Since forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
I can't believe you guys are taking issue with the quantity of "meathead hardcore" that's going to be in a videogame. Can someone draw me a venn diagram of where meathead, toughguy and basketball-jersey hardcore all intersect? Sometimes I get get my subgenres mixed up.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Grigori Rasputin posted:

I can't believe you guys are taking issue with the quantity of "meathead hardcore" that's going to be in a videogame. Can someone draw me a venn diagram of where meathead, toughguy and basketball-jersey hardcore all intersect? Sometimes I get get my subgenres mixed up.

It's pretty much all the same poo poo to me. And I take issue with it because if the one punk/hardcore/whatever station in that game is just gonna have a bunch of that then I'll be disappointed since I won't listen to it.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Mike_V posted:

It's pretty much all the same poo poo to me. And I take issue with it because if the one punk/hardcore/whatever station in that game is just gonna have a bunch of that then I'll be disappointed since I won't listen to it.

It's actually pretty sweet - they have one song called Liberty City Hardcore or something and its just "LIBERTY CITY HARDCORE gently caress YOU!" the whole time.

oh and the station is named LCHC

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004

Inspector_71 posted:

Silverstein is a joke, and Sunny Day Real Estate isn't post-emo, they're one of the earlier emo bands. If you like them, listen to Mineral.

Thanks, enjoying Mineral as well as Texas is The Reason now.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

If you like SDRE and Mineral listen to Elliott. You'd probably like them too.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

I KIK HEDZ. I TOLD U I WUZ HARDCORE.

ChaosNonMusica posted:

Since forever?

Last I checked they sounded more like an old school punk/hardcore hybrid, and instead of breakdowns and beatdowns they just drank lots of beer and smoked lots of weed and had way more fun than just about any other band ever

Jimmy Gestapo rules.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Not sure if you guys care or not (or if this belongs in another thread), but He Is Legend has posted some demos from their upcoming album: http://www.myspace.com/heislegend

punxnbutter
May 22, 2007

Nonsense is better than no sense at all

Competition posted:

NFG cover of No Reason Why (Gorilla Biscuits) is sick.

When I saw this was happening a while ago I was kinda shocked they'd have the balls to do this. I picked this up for my wife since she gets into NFG in the car and she hates the GB cover so I know it's good.

The Int'l Superhero hardcore poo poo is kinda funny too; I had picked this off the web and the Fashion Show song is funny as hell. edit: The whole thing is dumb as poo poo, but it's funny since it's all stereotyped.

punxnbutter fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 27, 2008

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Murphy's Law can possibly define the Meathead genre that gave rise to immense amounts of really lovely spinoffs and worse fans. Plus its a pretty dumb name.

New Inmates record out on Even Worse, snag the Darvocets one too. Midnight record coming out within a few weeks I want to say.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Punch record release show last night was awesome.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
I'm going to miss Bane by a couple days as well as Ceremony.

gently caress me :smithicide:

EvilRobot
Sep 27, 2001

Punks Is Hippies

Not an Anthem posted:

Murphy's Law can possibly define the Meathead genre that gave rise to immense amounts of really lovely spinoffs and worse fans. Plus its a pretty dumb name.

Murphy's Law is a stupid band with a stupid name, but the whole "meat head" thing I'd reserve more for some of their contemporaries. Sure, they where associated with the whole NYHC SKINS deal and it didn't do them any favors, but to be perfectly honest by the time their first album came out they where more or less the goofy stoner kids of the batch.

The music is loving lame most of the time (some of it makes me laugh in a good way, but I am an idiot so take that for what it is worth), but to say they define the genre of dipshit NYHC FO LIFE YO is loving wrong.

It wouldn't be too off the mark to say Murphy's Law where the Municipal Waste of the late 80's. Keep in mind hardcore was full of violent, iron pumping, hammer-skin courting assholes back then.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

zeldadude posted:

It's actually pretty sweet - they have one song called Liberty City Hardcore or something and its just "LIBERTY CITY HARDCORE gently caress YOU!" the whole time.

oh and the station is named LCHC

And is apparently located where CBGBs is.

[edit: was]

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha
Saw Sacred Shock from Austin tonight, they were really cool.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

I dunno about anyone else but I think I consider A Wilhelm Scream to be one of the bands that's going to help shape the future of punk. So stupidly talented, terrific live show, amazing energy, great lyrics, inventive and impressive songwriting that's really unlike anyone else out there right now (that I know of).

Saw them again last night and I can really see this band taking it to a new level. Just go listen to Career Suicide, and if by the time The Horse comes on you're not swayed, I dunno what to tell ya.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Just got back from Municipal Waste, it was an awesome show. The Claw and Victims opened. I missed the Claw, but Victims were sick as hell. Waste was great, as usual, and it was in the First Unitarian Church which is my favorite venue. Only downside of the night was three of my friends getting grabbed by undercover cops less than 5 minutes after they got there. They're more pissed about missing Waste than getting arrested, heh.

I was surprised though, Waste played Boner City and it was actually good.

stevefukkinc
Oct 10, 2004
TUB-THUMPING,
PAROCHIAL
McKNOB
The Waco gently caress lp is sick as hell.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

Dillinger posted:

I dunno about anyone else but I think I consider A Wilhelm Scream to be one of the bands that's going to help shape the future of punk. So stupidly talented, terrific live show, amazing energy, great lyrics, inventive and impressive songwriting that's really unlike anyone else out there right now (that I know of).

Saw them again last night and I can really see this band taking it to a new level. Just go listen to Career Suicide, and if by the time The Horse comes on you're not swayed, I dunno what to tell ya.

If A Wilhelm Scream is the future of punk then I am the Queen of England.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

answersyouseek posted:

If A Wilhelm Scream is the future of punk then I am the Queen of England.

The songs I listened to on their myspace sounded like bad 80's Japanese metal.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000

rivals posted:

Punch record release show last night was awesome.

I saw these dudes at a house show in Oakland a month or two back and they were sweet, I look forward to seeing them again - they got a record out now?

Wizard Mannequin posted:

Just got back from Municipal Waste, it was an awesome show. The Claw and Victims opened. I missed the Claw, but Victims were sick as hell. Waste was great, as usual, and it was in the First Unitarian Church which is my favorite venue. Only downside of the night was three of my friends getting grabbed by undercover cops less than 5 minutes after they got there. They're more pissed about missing Waste than getting arrested, heh.

I was surprised though, Waste played Boner City and it was actually good.

I'm going back to Ohio this weekend and am seeing Victims on Thursday with Appalachian Terror Unit, Delay and a couple friends' bands. Should be real raw.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Grigori Rasputin posted:

I saw these dudes at a house show in Oakland a month or two back and they were sweet, I look forward to seeing them again - they got a record out now?

Yeah, they just put out a 7" on Discos Huelga. I think it was only like $4.50ppd for the preorder. Check out https://www.discoshuelga.com .

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was thinking of buying this http://www.amazon.com/No-Thanks-70s-Punk-Rebellion/dp/B0000DD539/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1209443730&sr=8-1

It is kinda expensive though, so I wanted opinions first. Does it look like a pretty good collection?

Also whats the opinion on Story of the Year?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Cowboy Kyle posted:

I remember liking their first album whenever it came out, but I used to like a lot of terrible poo poo.

For some reason, the other day I threw on O'God, The Aftermath by Norma Jean, and it's loving awesome. The choruses on Bayonetwork and Liarsenic are loving killing me.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
So i'm gonna be in Boston at some point over the summer, is there a condensed online listing of concerts or anything for the area?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

https://www.myspace.com/haveheart

The new have heart song is kinda poor.
Although seems to get better towards the end.
Maybe it will grow on me.

Dillinger
Feb 28, 2003

Cowboy Kyle posted:

First album was overproduced by the same guy who did the Used. Few good tracks but definitely hampered by that fact. The last song is a pretty fun westcoast style melodic hardcore song with a sweet fun breakdown at the end.

Second album is one no one ever really gave much of a shot. It really sounds like a staight up melodic hardcore record, it's ridiculously catchy, has plenty of punch, good lyrical content...I could see them touring with bands like Ignite or Stretch Arm Strong easily. Hell all the guys in the band are down with the 'core but they won't ever really shrink down past their current level which bums me out. If anything grab this album (In the wake of determination) and listen to it start to finish with an open mind.

Also Norma Jean is snoozefest and always has been, but I might be biased because I heard Luti-Kriss at the same time and was like "wow this numetal faggotry became norma jean? what losers"

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

A5H posted:

The new have heart song is kinda poor.

I liked it a lot. Also the new Verse song is awesome.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RunTo TheHills posted:

So i'm gonna be in Boston at some point over the summer, is there a condensed online listing of concerts or anything for the area?

Not anymore. BostonDIY.com used to be great, but it's kind of fallen into disuse. Last.fm Events is actually a really good resource though.

Dillinger posted:

Also Norma Jean is snoozefest and always has been, but I might be biased because I heard Luti-Kriss at the same time and was like "wow this numetal faggotry became norma jean? what losers"

That's what I always thought until like, 4 days ago.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

rivals posted:

I liked it a lot. Also the new Verse song is awesome.

Verse are loving awesome.
I would like to see a new from anger and rage. I love that album so much.
But it'll probably never happen.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Oh poo poo, I just found out the Butthole Surfers are playing Asbury Park this June with DEVO. gently caress yeah.

I've been listening to the Butthole Surfers constantly lately. Hopefully they're good live.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

A5H posted:

Verse are loving awesome.
I would like to see a new from anger and rage. I love that album so much.
But it'll probably never happen.

FAAR was a great release but Rebuild was better IMO.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000

Wizard Mannequin posted:

Oh poo poo, I just found out the Butthole Surfers are playing Asbury Park this June with DEVO. gently caress yeah.

I've been listening to the Butthole Surfers constantly lately. Hopefully they're good live.

I saw them a long long time ago on the Electric Larryland tour with Cibo Matto and it was a pretty good time. A lot of weird rednecks came out of the OH/KY/IN woodwork for that show, the likes of which I have never seen at a show to this day. It was a pretty good-and-nuts big venue show in the mid-90's, I can only imagine what they were like live in the late 80's and early 90's.

They had a wall of lights behind the drummer that were triggered by his snare hits, and there was definitely a few "play the drums so the crowd goes blind" moments.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha
I really like Norma Jean's first two albums but Redeemer blows. That is all.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Capitan Dad posted:

I agree, but I think Redeemer is still listenable.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Capitan Dad posted:

I don't agree at all - Redeemer is definitely their best album.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Eight Is Legend posted:

Not sure if you guys care or not (or if this belongs in another thread), but He Is Legend has posted some demos from their upcoming album: http://www.myspace.com/heislegend

No one here is a fan of these guys, eh?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Eight Is Legend posted:

I don't agree at all - Redeemer is definitely their best album.

This can probably be empirically proven false. I think O'God is by far their best, then Bless The Martyr, then Redeemer.

Redeemer has the best album art for sure though.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Inspector_71 posted:

This can probably be empirically proven false. I think O'God is by far their best, then Bless The Martyr, then Redeemer.

Redeemer has the best album art for sure though.

What didn't you like about Redeemer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
I've been blasting Grade's "Under the Radar" all week. Recommendations?