Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
Did I ever mention The Lampshades here? Local band, really good, they sell a shirt that I see everywhere in my county.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manicured Meat
Jan 8, 2005

3rd strongest
Saw the Slackers and partied with Bomb the past two days. The slackers play a really tight set, from what I hear they always do a double-encore too. Lee's Palace was loving PACKED, it was a lot of fun.

Then Matt from Shinobu drank a 26' of whiskey this morning and well, I feel bad for anyone seeing BTMI tonight in London. They were wasted by like 1:00pm.

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.
I would give my right nut for any kind of news about a new album or tour or anything to do with The Planetsmashers. Anyone?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

CDX posted:

I would give my right nut for any kind of news about a new album or tour or anything to do with The Planetsmashers. Anyone?

You asked for it but it's not good news.

As you may or may not know on the Ska Is Dead Tour that had the Planet Smashers, the Toasters and Westbound Train the Planet Smasher's bassist got held back at the border cause he had some pot on him. The bassists for Westbound Train and the Toasters filled in for him on that tour, and since then we haven't really heard much from them. About 2 months or so ago I heard that the Planet Smashers sold their van, and then a few weeks ago I heard that the sax player for them is now playing with the Toasters, and their drummer is also playing with the Toasters but will be switching out with the drummer of Westbound Train as well.

So it looks like, for at least the time being, the Planet Smashers are dead. :( For me this is right up there with the Suicide Machines breaking up, and I can only hope that one day they get back together and tour some more. Unlike the Suicide Machines though I see it as pretty likely that they at least record some more music, and then when Dave can get back in the states go on tour so I'm trying to stay optimistic about it.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Josh Wow posted:

As you may or may not know on the Ska Is Dead Tour that had the Planet Smashers, the Toasters and Westbound Train the Planet Smasher's bassist got held back at the border cause he had some pot on him. The bassists for Westbound Train and the Toasters filled in for him on that tour, and since then we haven't really heard much from them. About 2 months or so ago I heard that the Planet Smashers sold their van, and then a few weeks ago I heard that the sax player for them is now playing with the Toasters, and their drummer is also playing with the Toasters but will be switching out with the drummer of Westbound Train as well.

So it looks like, for at least the time being, the Planet Smashers are dead. :( For me this is right up there with the Suicide Machines breaking up, and I can only hope that one day they get back together and tour some more. Unlike the Suicide Machines though I see it as pretty likely that they at least record some more music, and then when Dave can get back in the states go on tour so I'm trying to stay optimistic about it.

Aw man. :( That's horrible. I saw them open for the Aquabats back when Prince Adam was still in the band and they were one of the tightest live bands I've ever seen.

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

Oh god. This is probably the worst news I've heard in a long time. :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think Collyer posted on the band's boards saying it was likely they would put out more music, just that there's no band to speak of right now, considering the circumstances. Given his connections, and the recent '08 tour of the Stomp All Stars, I wouldn't be surprised if he was able to cobble together an altered band lineup to put out another album.

I mean I didn't even know Unstoppable had a completely different horn section until I checked the notes. They'll make it happen somehow.

e: In "what, really?" news, apparently Starpool never broke up and put out a single last year at starpoolmusic.com. I hope they can eventually put out a full album because their original EP is still hot hot hot poo poo, especially considering it was recorded live. You Know You Want It is one badass song.

More bands putting out albums this year: The Expos recently recorded a new album, and One Night Band is planning to release theirs in the fall. Subb HOPES they will have an album out. Cat Empire's "So Many Nights" was supposed to be released this year in America but that seems to be fading off the radar. Big D is putting out a dub remix album, it might already be out but I loving hate their dub music so I can't be assed to find out. Babylove and the Van Dangos are putting out a new album on June 30th (woot).

e: e: retracted desorden publico comment; Estrellas Del Caos is now on iTunes USA :I

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 20, 2008

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

loldance posted:

Also, has anyone checked out the new Goldfinger CD? I love Get Up (even though it's like a PeTA anthem). It is really catchy! I think the rest of the CD sucks, though.

It was leaked this long ago? :aaa:

I just heard it and it was pretty good, but nothing as memorable as their earlier work. Get Up was indeed the best song, though I hate Feldmann's whole PETA hardon. :smith:

Does anyone know if "Behind the Mask" from Disconnection Notice is anti-PETA or what? The song is about being angry at someone for lying to him, interspersed with sound bytes of the President of PETA. If it's not about her, he's really sending a mixed message.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Quest For Glory II posted:

Big D is putting out a dub remix album, it might already be out but I loving hate their dub music so I can't be assed to find out.

Haha, the dub song they played was the only song of theirs I could stand when they opened for the Murphys.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
I'm going to see streetlight at the Recher tomorrow as well. Two person goonmeet wooo! See you there Guppy

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Saw the Slackers and Bomb the Music Industry! with the Skatastrophes last night at the Grog Shop. It was a loving stellar show. The Skatastrophes played solid 3rd-wave ska punk that kept the energy up. They also had a little guitar trouble in the middle of the set, so the bassist and drummer started playing 'Crack Rock Steady' and the entire crowd joined in while the guitarist fixed his connection. Bomb the Music Industry! would do the same thing later on in the night, but changing the words to be about Ara Babajian ('It's Ara, he's in Leftover Crack...')

Marcus Geard of the Slackers, decked out in his ice-cream suit, came out and introduced Bomb, saying that they were his favorite new band. After the band got set up, Jeff Rosenstock comes on stage wearing a bright-red zoot suit (which he progressively unbuttoned during the set) and they went straight into Happy Anterrabae Day. The crowd was loving manic; I was in the front row and I had to hold onto the monitors to prevent myself from buckling under the mass of people behind me. By contrast, the Slackers' set was really chill and tight. They played at least a half-dozen songs from the new record, plus a bunch of old favorites and a pretty long encore full of great requests.

I think the highlight of the night was Bomb the Music Industry! playing 'Get Warmer,' simply because it's one of my favorite songs and I never thought that I'd see them play it live. Second after that was probably hanging out with all the bands after the show; both of the bands were really nice and accommodating of my gushing. Vic Ruggiero and Jeff Rosenstock are two of my favorite lyricists and songwriters and getting a chance to hang out and chat with them was amazing.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Just got back from the Streetlight show, holy poo poo, that was great. Ken never called though so we didn't meet up.

Opened with Watch It Crash; closed with Would You Be Impressed, which was really awesome for me since it's one of my favorite SM songs. Encore was Dear Sergio and something I can't remember. Everything Went Numb was somewhere in there too, got the crowd really pumped. Various other fun stuff in there too. We got the Linoleum (NOFX) cover as well, which was great.

Super pumped still. Anyone going to the Reel Big Fish show on Friday (at Hopkins)?

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
Yeah I kinda forgot to put your number in my phone

They played moment of silence and moment of violence as well. Really sweet show. My friends and I stayed after for two hours to get our posters signed and it was a really awesome time.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
For anyone interested our latest album Part of the Problem is finally up on Itunes. The best part is they censored the titles of two of our songs, so instead of Josh Sucks Kites and Turn Down the Suck they put Josh S***S Kites and Turn Down the S***. No poo poo. Anyway it's $10 and we've got our other two albums up there as well, and for now that's the only way you can get Life of the Party since we haven't gotten it repressed yet.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
So instead of writing a clever song like "Josh Sucks Kites", or "Turn Down the Suck", people will think you wrote "Josh Shits Kites", or "Turn Down the poo poo", and they will be sorely disappointed.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

You might've lucked out, as Josh Shits Kites is the better song title.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
SECharger73 hates sad reminders :[
Less Than Jake announced their new album today. It's titled "GNV FLA" (aka Gainesville, Florida).

1. City Of Gainesville
2. The State Of Florida
3. Does the Lion City Still Roar?
4. Summon Monsters
5. Abandon Ship
6. Handshake Meets Pokerface
7. Settling Son
8. Malachi Richter's Liquor's Quicker
9. Golden Age Of My Negative Ways
10. The Space They Can't Touch
11. Conviction Notice
12. This One's Gonna Leave A Bruise
13. The Life Of The Party Has Left The Building
14. Devil In My DNA

This makes me super excited. Mostly because I'm from Gainesville and I love LTJ. Quote from the band below.

quote:

It's a return to form that could be called the “traditional” Less Than Jake sound, complete with their trademark bouncy ska grooves and horns galore, GNV FLA comes full circle with the band’s beginnings, when they were scrapping up money from gigs to augment their Pez collections.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Color me excited. Wiki says it's due out 6/24, by the way.

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

StrikerObi posted:

Less Than Jake announced their new album today. It's titled "GNV FLA" (aka Gainesville, Florida).

1. City Of Gainesville
2. The State Of Florida
4. Summon Monsters
5. Abandon Ship
7. Settling Son
11. Conviction Notice
14. Devil In My DNA

This makes me super excited. Mostly because I'm from Gainesville and I love LTJ. Quote from the band below.

Oh man I hope the "return to form" part is true. I miss me some old school LTJ.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

guppy posted:

Color me excited. Wiki says it's due out 6/24, by the way.

Red Album and that on the same day? Decisions, decisions...

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003

Z.S. Ghost posted:

Yeah, gonna be a great day for music!

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
RX Bandits, new tour info up
code:
Apr 26 2008  	4:00P
	SoundFest at Virginia Tech University - FREE open to Public 	Blacksburg, Virginia
May 17 2008 	4:00P	UC Riverside 	Riverside, California
Jul 15 2008 	7:30P	Rialto Theatre 	Tucson, Arizona
Jul 17 2008 	7:00P	White Rabbit 	San Antonio, Texas
Jul 18 2008 	8:00P	Emo’s Outside 	Austin, Texas
Jul 19 2008 	6:30P	House of Blues - Cambridge Room 	Dallas, Texas
Jul 20 2008 	7:00P	Meridian - Red Room 	Houston, Texas
Jul 21 2008 	7:00P	The Parish at House of Blues 	New Orleans, Louisiana
Jul 22 2008 	8:00P	Floyd’s Music Store 	Tallahassee, Florida
Jul 23 2008 	7:00P	State Theatre 	St. Petersburg, Florida
Jul 24 2008 	8:00P	Culture Room 	Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Jul 25 2008 	8:00P	The Social 	Orlando, Florida
Jul 26 2008 	7:00P	The Masquerade 	Atlanta, Georgia
Jul 27 2008 	7:00P	The Soapbox Laundrolounge 	Wilmington, North Carolina
Jul 29 2008 	7:00P	The Ottobar 	Baltimore, Maryland
Jul 30 2008 	7:00P	The Fillmore at the TLA 	Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Jul 31 2008 	7:00P	School of Rock 	South Hackensack, New Jersey
Aug 1 2008 	7:00P	Highline Ballroom 	New York, New York
Aug 2 2008 	7:00P	Harper’s Ferry 	Allston, Massachusetts
Aug 2 2008 	7:00P	Harper’s Ferry 	Allston, Massachusetts
Aug 3 2008 	7:00P	Water Street Music Hall 	Rochester, New York
Aug 5 2008 	7:00P	Grog Shop 	Cleveland Heights, Ohio
Aug 6 2008 	7:00P	Magic Stick 	Detroit, Michigan
Aug 7 2008 	6:00P	Metro 	Chicago, Illinois
Aug 8 2008 	7:00P	2 Cents Plain 	St. Louis, Missouri
Aug 9 2008 	7:00P	The Bottleneck 	Lawrence, Kansas
Aug 10 2008 	8:00P	The Waiting Room 	Omaha, Nebraska
Aug 12 2008 	7:30P	The Marquis Theatre 	Denver, Colorado
Aug 13 2008 	7:00P	Avalon Theatre 	Salt Lake City, Utah
Aug 15 2008 	7:00P	El Corazon 	Seattle, Washington
Aug 16 2008 	7:00P	Hawthorne Theatre 	Portland, Oregon
Aug 18 2008 	7:00P	Slim’s 	San Francisco, California
Aug 19 2008 	7:00P	The Boardwalk 	Orangevale, California
Aug 22 2008 	7:00P	The Glasshouse 	Pomona, California
Aug 23 2008 	6:00P	Jillian’s 	Las Vegas, Nevada
Aug 27 2008 	7:00P	The Troubadour 	West Hollywood, California
Aug 28 2008 	7:00P	The Troubadour 	West Hollywood, California
Aug 30 2008 	7:00P	Soma 	San Diego, California
Aug 31 2008 	6:00P	The Clubhouse 	Tempe, Arizona
Sep 1 2008 	6:00P	The Clubhouse 	Tempe, Arizona
RX Bandits in Omaha! Jesus, I haven't seen them since like 2001.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Fuckin' A, I may have to get over my loathing for Baltimore City and go to the show at the Ottobar. Thanks for the heads up!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Z.S. Ghost posted:

poo poo, that's when the LaGrecia album comes out as well. Plus, it's my birthday. My friends better get me most of these records.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

StrikerObi posted:

1. City Of Gainesville
2. The State Of Florida
4. Summon Monsters
5. Abandon Ship
7. Settling Son
11. Conviction Notice
14. Devil In My DNA

Oh poo poo.

And RXB in Ft Lauderdale! Oh yes.

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?

Loud About Loathing posted:

poo poo, that's when the LaGrecia album comes out as well. Plus, it's my birthday. My friends better get me most of these records.

What what what. LaGrecia too? gently caress...I gotta get some money. Also, I need to brush up on my knowing when records are coming out skillz. I am just a big failure when it comes to that.

Also, what is up with this Specials reunion? Anyone have any news other than that it's happening? I'm super stoked because loving Terry Hall has announced that he will be rejoining the lineup, thus making the reunion complete. I really really hope that they come to the US and not only do a UK tour.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

gerfatty posted:

What what what. LaGrecia too? gently caress...I gotta get some money. Also, I need to brush up on my knowing when records are coming out skillz. I am just a big failure when it comes to that.

Also, what is up with this Specials reunion? Anyone have any news other than that it's happening? I'm super stoked because loving Terry Hall has announced that he will be rejoining the lineup, thus making the reunion complete. I really really hope that they come to the US and not only do a UK tour.

I'd bet on it being UK only. It'll probably be like 3 London shows with like a Manchester one or something. Ugh.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I went to the Reel Big Fish show last night at Johns Hopkins. Jesus Christ, I've never seen a crowd be less fun. :( I was pumped, too, RBF are my favorite band.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
Heads up to any central Florida goons. Less Than Jake isn't doing a Gainesville show on the new tour because they get back from Europe on July 15th and the tour starts on the 17th. They are, however, doing a special listening party for the new album / acoustic set / meet and greet on the 16th. Location isn't known yet. I'm driving down for this, gonna be awesome.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
I'm not sure how many people care or already know or whatever, and I certainly don't keep up on the news like I used to, but the Boston-based Have Nots are finally going into the studio to record an album. The band is comprised of former members from a few other Boston bands, like Stray Bullets, who were one of my favorites. Anyway, I'm pretty excited for this and figured I'd share.

Z.S. Ghost posted:

Come on, bro. You're better than this.

Sugar Blaster fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 28, 2008

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Oh poo poo, I love Stray Bullets. Thanks.

StrikerObi posted:

Heads up to any central Florida goons. Less Than Jake isn't doing a Gainesville show on the new tour because they get back from Europe on July 15th and the tour starts on the 17th. They are, however, doing a special listening party for the new album / acoustic set / meet and greet on the 16th. Location isn't known yet. I'm driving down for this, gonna be awesome.

I should be at UCF then, I might go to this.

Mysterious Aftertaste fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 29, 2008

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The Planet Smashers just announced a series of May tour dates in Europe:

quote:

May 8, 2008 Zaandam, Netherlands Kade
May 9, 2008 Rotterdam, Netherlands Waterfront
May 10, 2008 Meerhout, Belgium Groez Rock Festival
May 11, 2008 Gera, Germany Untergrund
May 12, 2008 Stuttgart, Germany LKA Longhorn
May 13, 2008 Hamburg, Germany Headcrash
May 14, 2008 Berlin, Germany SO 36 Club
May 15, 2008 Schweinfurt, Germany Alter Stadtbahnhof
May 16, 2008 Luzern, Switzerland Sedel
May 17, 2008 Vevey, Switzerland Rocking Chair
May 18, 2008 Zurich, Switzerland Volkshaus

Good news for all of us who'd thought they were on the dreaded 'indefinite hiatus'!

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Loud About Loathing posted:

The Planet Smashers just announced a series of May tour dates in Europe:

Good news for all of us who'd thought they were on the dreaded 'indefinite hiatus'!

Thank god.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Mr. Kalnoky and Streetlight are coming to Philadelphia this weekend - worth my $15? It'll be my first ska show. (I already have a boner for horn sections, and I dig a lot of, but not all, the album work from Catch/Streetlight that I've heard). Are they too Punk for someone who really is going for the horn section?

I'd really rather go see Ay Carumba - that Ska Cubano record is sick. Too bad they're not playing anywhere close. :(

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
There's no reason not to see Streetlight. Ever.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Streetlight's horn section is amazing live, so I'd say it's worth it. But I did see this on punknews yesterday:

quote:

Streetlight Manifesto has announced that the band's sax player and main secondary vocalist Jim has been hospitalized.

When we got to Detroit, Jim, our tenor saxist and main secondary vocalist, realized the facial infection he was nursing was too serious to ignore any longer. In Pensacola, FL a week back, a kid jumped up on stage and hit his mic, which in turn slammed Jim's sax into his mouth. Somehow, the wound got infected on his gum, which ballooned half his face up with swelling the size of a grapefruit. Despite a round of antibiotics, it got worse, to the point where half of his face was practically paralyzed by the time we reached Detroit. He immediately went to the hospital, where we learned it was serious (they put him on morphine immediately) and he had to stay for surgery to remove a tooth and drain the abscess. We had to leave him in the hospital for a few days and, unfortunately, continue the tour without him. Now anyone that's seen us live, especially recently, knows how important Jim is to our live show, both vocally and as a horn player. We had to redistribute his vocal/horn lines among the remaining members and pair down which songs we are able to play (we're doing a bit more off of Numb because of this).

So that sucks. But I've already got my ticket for the Philly show. I'll be traveling for business next week and I'll conveniently be in the Chicago the same night as the tour, so I guess I'll see it twice, assuming my flight lands in time. Anyone else going to be there?

But good news about Starpool, ex-Stray Bullets, and the Planet Smashers makes me happy.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Like an Accident posted:

Mr. Kalnoky and Streetlight are coming to Philadelphia this weekend - worth my $15? It'll be my first ska show. (I already have a boner for horn sections, and I dig a lot of, but not all, the album work from Catch/Streetlight that I've heard). Are they too Punk for someone who really is going for the horn section?

I'd really rather go see Ay Carumba - that Ska Cubano record is sick. Too bad they're not playing anywhere close. :(
Christ yes, I just saw them last week and they were tremendous.

Feel better Jim :(

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

West Coast ska fans rejoice! The best band in the world is going to visit your side of the country for the first time in years! SO who's going to see The Mighty Mighty Bosstones in July?

quote:

ROAD TRIP!!!

We are doing 2 shows in california with our old frinds Dropkick Murphy's in July... These are going to be a blast for sure, hope to see some familliar faces

July 19 Kelseyville, - CA Konocti Harbor Amphitheatre
Tickets will go on sale to the public Sunday, 5/4 1pm: http://www.tickets.com/browseother. cgi?minpid=6236500

July 20 Costa Mesa, CA - Pacific Amphitheatre /OC Fair
Tickets will go on sale to the public, Saturday, 5/3 10am.
http://www.ticketmaster.com/venue/90269/?search_redirect=Pacific%20Amphitheatre&tm_link=tm_header_search

Rumor has it there is a presale going on for the Orange County show right now until Friday night.

The password needed to access these presale tickets is "remain" Just follow the link below

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0B0040959BA74809?artistid=798903&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=60

Stay tuned for more MMB summer tour news (Non-West Coast)

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Bosstones Tour Stuff

Goddamn I hope they come back to anywhere in the RI area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

Goddamn I hope they come back to anywhere in the RI area.

Looks like someone should have gone to a Throwdown show last year.

Or the one in Providence.