Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

SynVisions posted:

What are you talking about? Of course subnetting matters, but not for my question.
Yeah, it seemed that you knew, I was just being specific cause you said "so don't worry about subnetting". It could cause the problems you're seeing if you were doing something odd with subnets.

FWIW, I had the exact problem you're having, and needed the fix for firewall reasons. the eth0 == eth0:0 was something I'd read, and when I changed, it started working. So I just assumed it was right. Maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbt
Jan 13, 2006

squonk
Tortured By Flan

I'm Libertarian u rear end posted:

Apparently Opera 9.2x is incompatible with the current regular Ubuntu flash package, either google some hack for it or get 9.50 beta (which works fine for me in Ubuntu but shits itself constantly in Windows :( )

Yeah, it seems there is some problem with the newest Flash version. Anyway, I got it working now. I downloaded an older version (from http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14266&sliceId=1) and it works perfectly.

Kidane
Dec 15, 2004

DANGER TO MANIFOLD
I'm looking for a regular expression which will give me results within an hour range, say if I wanted all the log entries from 10:00 - 11:00. The log is in this format:

code:
Sat May  3 22:02:31 2008  root@blah  Processing email
Sat May  3 22:02:32 2008  root@blah  Update request completed in 0.557288 seconds [0.18]
Sat May  3 22:02:32 2008  root@foo  Processing email
Sat May  3 22:02:33 2008  root@foo  Update request completed in 0.728378 seconds [0.18]
Sat May  3 22:02:33 2008  root@bar  Processing email
Sat May  3 22:02:34 2008  root@bar  Update request completed in 0.651562 seconds [0.18]
Sat May  3 22:02:41 2008  root@butts  Processing email
Sat May  3 22:02:42 2008  root@butts  Update request completed in 0.799505 seconds [0.23]
I did some Googling and attempted to figure it out but I'm a little fried at the moment (work, not drugs).

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

Kidane posted:

I'm looking for a regular expression which will give me results within an hour range, say if I wanted all the log entries from 10:00 - 11:00. The log is in this format:

code:
Sat May  3 22:02:31 2008  root@blah  Processing email
Sat May  3 22:02:32 2008  root@blah  Update request completed in 0.557288 seconds [0.18]
Sat May  3 22:02:32 2008  root@foo  Processing email
Sat May  3 22:02:33 2008  root@foo  Update request completed in 0.728378 seconds [0.18]
Sat May  3 22:02:33 2008  root@bar  Processing email
Sat May  3 22:02:34 2008  root@bar  Update request completed in 0.651562 seconds [0.18]
Sat May  3 22:02:41 2008  root@butts  Processing email
Sat May  3 22:02:42 2008  root@butts  Update request completed in 0.799505 seconds [0.23]
I did some Googling and attempted to figure it out but I'm a little fried at the moment (work, not drugs).

code:
awk '{split($4, s, ":"); if(s[1] == 22) print}' log
Replace 22 with the hour you want to look at and log with your logfile name.

Do some reading on awk/split and you'll find you can adapt that to do quite a bit with minimal effort.

SynVisions fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 4, 2008

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
For some reason, I think GRUB hates my keyboard (it's a Logitech G15). Every time I go into the GRUB loader, sometimes it ignores when I press the arrow keys to pick an OS to boot up, or if I'm trying to change the boot parameters, every 3 or 4 times I press the left arrow key, it'll insert a '4' for some reason. But when I boot up an OS (Windows or Linux), it works flawlessly. Does anyone know why this is?

It's a rather insignificant problem, but it's just one I've been curious about.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot
I don't think GRUB hates your keybord, but I have noticed that it sometimes has issues with USB. Could you try to connect a PS/2 keyboard and report back?

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 4, 2008

I'm Libertarian u ASS
Jan 20, 2007

by Fragmaster

sbt posted:

Yeah, it seems there is some problem with the newest Flash version. Anyway, I got it working now. I downloaded an older version (from http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14266&sliceId=1) and it works perfectly.

Just out of curiosity and laziness, does it work with Firefox?

sbt
Jan 13, 2006

squonk
Tortured By Flan

I'm Libertarian u rear end posted:

Just out of curiosity and laziness, does it work with Firefox?

Um, which version are you talking about? If you mean the old one, I have no idea. I still use the latest flashplugin-nonfree with Firefox, which works fine. I just dumped the older version into Opera's plugins directory and told Opera not to look anywhere else.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I am going to move my root partition from XFS to ReiserFS. XFS just doesn't seem to handle lots of small files very well. Deleting folders like the kernel source really does take five minutes. And I know it sounds strange but it always seems to result in more hard disk activity for the same operation as my ext3 or reiserfs partitions.

Anyway, are there any options I need to pass to mkreiserfs? Also, my fstab line currently looks like this:
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG_HD501LJ_S0MUJ1FP842686-part3 / xfs noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8 0 1

Other than changing from xfs to reiserfs, am I good to go there?

And yes, I have backups. I am going to cp -a / except for /dev, /proc, /sys. I actually think I may need to copy /dev, I can't remember. I know I at least have to create empty directories with the same permissions as the old in the new fs.

And reiserfs doesn't need anything funny in grub as far as I can recall.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I am going to move my root partition from XFS to ReiserFS.

:words:

What's the real difference between ReiserFS and ext3? I've always stuck with resierfs for all the re/installs of Linux I've done (mostly because it's what my teacher recommended), but I remember when I tried out Fedora 8 and it didn't even support Reiser, so I had to try ext3. And I was experiencing nothing but problems with Fedora, in terms of things like getting software to work, being generally very slow to load (even on simple things like the icons in the GUI dropdown menus), and every time I tried to download the updates, it corrupted the file system upon reboot. I've never tried running Ubuntu in ext3, but it's always run lightning fast for me with reiser. I don't know if those problems were directly related to it being in ext3 (I doubt it, for some of the problems there), but I've always been curious.

What are the real differences?

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

Anunnaki posted:

What's the real difference between ReiserFS and ext3? I've always stuck with resierfs for all the re/installs of Linux I've done (mostly because it's what my teacher recommended), but I remember when I tried out Fedora 8 and it didn't even support Reiser, so I had to try ext3. And I was experiencing nothing but problems with Fedora, in terms of things like getting software to work, being generally very slow to load (even on simple things like the icons in the GUI dropdown menus), and every time I tried to download the updates, it corrupted the file system upon reboot. I've never tried running Ubuntu in ext3, but it's always run lightning fast for me with reiser. I don't know if those problems were directly related to it being in ext3 (I doubt it, for some of the problems there), but I've always been curious.

Can't help with the low-level differences, but from a general use standpoint, reiser is faster, ext3 is more stable. For instance, a power loss during write is more likely to result in corrupted data with reiser than with ext3. But if you've got 20G of smaller mp3 files, reiser will move them around faster.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

Anunnaki posted:

Besides all the prison and murder jokes, the biggest issue is maintenance. Other then that Novell made some good points about its limitations when they moved away from it back in 06.

quote:

ReiserFS has a small and shrinking development community.
That was in 06, now it is almost non existent.

Anyway I really want to play around with xfs

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

tehk posted:

Besides all the prison and murder jokes, the biggest issue is maintenance. Other then that Novell made some good points about its limitations when they moved away from it back in 06.

That was in 06, now it is almost non existent.

Anyway I really want to play around with xfs

Sad but probably true :(.

XFS is neat until you come close to filling the partition, then it becomes slow as molasses (in my experience at least). I had an xfs partition that I regularly filled and then backed up to another location. Instead of deleting items in the partition after the backup I just got used to formatting it. Deleting them all would take half an hour and the speed would not increase as space was freed. This was a 200gb partition filled with large (2-8gb) files.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

Got a bit of an issue with my little brother's crappy 256 MB ram laptop and various ubuntu flavors.

The primary livecd for xubuntu 8.04 worked fine - it brought up the GUI (with a few oddities, but all in all working) anyway. During the installation process, it broke down and hung at 'Loading (ide-cd) module for Linux ATAPI CD...'.

After that, I tried using the text-based installer on the alternate cd. This completed fully. Then, I restarted and tried to login - everything up to the login screen came up just fine. After typing in the username and password and hitting enter, however, it hung indefinitely.

I booted into recovery mode and tried to start X manually - the command line came up, but after typing in 'X' and hitting enter I got a background and the little X-shaped cursor. Then it just hung there indefintely.

I tried the same thing with the text-based installer for fluxbuntu 7.10 to the same results. Then, I used the drat Small Linux live cd, which booted up just fine - and then let me switch to Flux and use it just fine.

So, it seems that I have a problem with users and logins, not the gui itself. What's your take on it?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

SpoonsForThought posted:

I booted into recovery mode and tried to start X manually - the command line came up, but after typing in 'X' and hitting enter I got a background and the little X-shaped cursor. Then it just hung there indefintely.

So, it seems that I have a problem with users and logins, not the gui itself. What's your take on it?

That's what 'X' should do. You want 'startx'

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

covener posted:

That's what 'X' should do. You want 'startx'

or startxfce4

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
If I own somedomain.com and it's pointed to my linux server, what's the easiest way to get mail sent to *@somedomain.com forwarded to another email address? Do I have to setup a whole mail server just for this?

fletcher fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 6, 2008

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
While this is some time out, I'd figure that I should learn more about linux mail systems. I might have to build one for work at some time and having one built and running on my home pc might be something id use as well. Where should I go about learning the in/outs of a particular program? I've been reading about postfix and it seems pretty good. I'd like to get calendar integration too, but at a much lower priority, as well. Where should I begin to search?

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

fletcher posted:

If I own somedomain.com and it's pointed to my linux server, what's the easiest way to get mail sent to *@somedomain.com forwarded to another email address? Do I have to setup a whole mail server just for this?

Where is your DNS hosted? I know for one zoneedit.com does free email forwarding.

Other than something like that, yeah you would need to setup a mail server assuming you don't have access to one that is already running for another domain. In which case you could just have the mx record for somedomain.com point to that mail server and configure it to receive mail for somedomain.com.

SynVisions fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 6, 2008

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

SynVisions posted:

Where is your DNS hosted? I know for one zoneedit.com does free email forwarding.

It's hosted with Godaddy, I found their email forwarding stuff. Thanks!

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

Twlight posted:

While this is some time out, I'd figure that I should learn more about linux mail systems. I might have to build one for work at some time and having one built and running on my home pc might be something id use as well. Where should I go about learning the in/outs of a particular program? I've been reading about postfix and it seems pretty good. I'd like to get calendar integration too, but at a much lower priority, as well. Where should I begin to search?
Realize that mail on Linux is modular. Postfix is generally part of the equation, but it's only a SMTP server. It's responsible for routing outbound mail, receiving incoming mail mail and passing it off to be delivered to users on the machine, or passing it on to another SMTP server. That's about it. If users want to pick up their mail via POP or IMAP, then you need to introduce something like Dovecot into the equation. If they want webmail, then you add something like Squirrelmail. If you want spam filtering for your incoming mail, then something like SpamAssassin can be added. Calendaring is another entire topic.

So, if you're interested in the inner workings of mail, then it's probably best to just take a clean install of something like CentOS or Ubuntu Server and start fiddling with some of the above components. However, if you're more interested in the end-product of having a functioning mail server, then throw all of the above out and just learn how to install and administer Zimbra. It's basically a turnkey mail system that puts all of the above components together for you, takes care of the integration, and slaps a very nice web interface on top.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
Alright so I'm trying to use hardy at work so evolution is what I'm using to send mail. However I just found out that when I send mail to outlook distribution lists, for some reason it randomly will expand the list in the send field. This is annoying to the people I'm emailing since some of the distros are pretty big. Has anyone experienced this, is there a setting in evolution that I need to turn on/turn off?

H0TSauce
Mar 12, 2002

I've got a webapp that uses the PEAR DB libraries for its MySQL connections. Usually when i set it up on a new server, i doublecheck that Pear is installed, and then things are usually cool. However, i found that on a client's server, i can't get Pear to work. I tracked it back to a PHP configuration option that has --without-pear set.

Is there any way i can turn off this option, or am i faced with recompiling PHP?

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

Alowishus posted:

So, if you're interested in the inner workings of mail, then it's probably best to just take a clean install of something like CentOS or Ubuntu Server and start fiddling with some of the above components. However, if you're more interested in the end-product of having a functioning mail server, then throw all of the above out and just learn how to install and administer Zimbra. It's basically a turnkey mail system that puts all of the above components together for you, takes care of the integration, and slaps a very nice web interface on top.
SMTP administration on Linux is really a nightmare. These turnkey solutions are the best answer. I've been using Sendmail, Postfix, Qmail, and exim for years, and it's still seriously difficult to get them working well, let alone customizing them.

Things are far easier if you've got authoritative control over your DNS though.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

H0TSauce posted:

Is there any way i can turn off this option, or am i faced with recompiling PHP?

I am lost when it comes to php, but.. I think PEAR is packaged separately on most distros so even if php was compiled with the --without-pear flag you should be able to install the php-pear package. At least that is how it worked at home.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

tehk posted:

I am lost when it comes to php, but.. I think PEAR is packaged separately on most distros so even if php was compiled with the --without-pear flag you should be able to install the php-pear package. At least that is how it worked at home.
You should be able to do an install of PEAR in your home directory and set the directory to be included before everything else.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

chryst posted:

SMTP administration on Linux is really a nightmare. These turnkey solutions are the best answer. I've been using Sendmail, Postfix, Qmail, and exim for years, and it's still seriously difficult to get them working well, let alone customizing them.

Things are far easier if you've got authoritative control over your DNS though.
Although I haven't tried the prepackaged solutions I'll just chime in and say that getting mail to work right - especially if you want it secure (SSL) - is honestly quite a nightmare. But if you have a lot of time and patience, good luck!

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

H0TSauce posted:

I tracked it back to a PHP configuration option that has --without-pear set.

Doesn't matter, that just prevented the base PEAR manager and libraries from being built when PHP was built. You can add it later by following these instructions.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

I am having an issue with GNU screen. I want to love screen but emacs key bindings made me retarded because Control-a being anything other then 'goto the start of the line' makes me crazy. Anyone have a emacsified .screenrc they could hook me up with?

kalleboo
Jan 13, 2001

Hjälp
I'm having trouble running Linux on my Airbus A380

After I've run StarOffice

it'll get really slow, and eventually I have to reboot it

Do I need more RAM? Or is it due to the beta status of the drivers for the Rolls Royce engines?

At least I got the GLX drivers working!

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

For some reason my windows machine can't hit my samba share. I have no clue why, here is my config file:

code:
[global]
# NetBIOS and name resolution options
   netbios name = cellserver
   workgroup = MSHOME
   wins support = yes
   dns proxy = no
   name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
# Network access options
   #hosts allow = 127. 192.168.1.
   #interfaces = eth0
# Logging options
   log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log
   max log size = 1000
# Master browser options
   local master = yes
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
# Username and password security options
   guest account = smbguest
   username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
   encrypt passwords = true
   obey pam restrictions = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd '%u'
   passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *ReType*new*password* %n\n *passwd*changed*\n
   passwd chat timeout = 120
# Miscellaneous options
   preserve case = no
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
   follow symlinks = no

[Storage]
	comment = Storage
	valid users = cellwind929,patron
	writeable = yes
	read list = patron
	path = /mnt/storage
	write list = cellwind929
Any help would be awesome!

J. Elliot Razorledgeball
Jan 28, 2005
I want to mount a samba share on startup by using fstab, but it doesn't work because the network gets brought up after fstab is run. This is on Fedora Core 7.

What can I do to get this mounted at startup?

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

J. Elliot Razorledgeball posted:

I want to mount a samba share on startup by using fstab, but it doesn't work because the network gets brought up after fstab is run. This is on Fedora Core 7.

What can I do to get this mounted at startup?
Fstab isn't run. It's read, and appropriate drives are mounted by appropriate scripts. A separate script runs to mount your network drives. Either that script is disabled, or your fstab is incorrect.
(can't recall the exact name of the script on FC)

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Well I figured out my problem why cups wasn't working on my machine. Apparently Apparmor was getting in the way. All I had to do was modify usr.sbin.cupsd with this

code:
  #include <abstractions/samba>
  /var/lib/samba/* rwk,
  /usr/share/samba/panic-action Pxr,
And everything worked fine.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
In windows, I can middle click in firefox which brings up a double-arrowed cursor in a circle, allowing me to simply drag the mouse to scroll.I forget if it's local to firefox, but regardless is this possible with ubuntu? Are there any mouse packages?

ribena
Nov 24, 2004

Hag.

Fruit Smoothies posted:

In windows, I can middle click in firefox which brings up a double-arrowed cursor in a circle, allowing me to simply drag the mouse to scroll.I forget if it's local to firefox, but regardless is this possible with ubuntu? Are there any mouse packages?

Go to about :config and set general.autoScroll to true.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

ribena posted:

Go to about :config and set general.autoScroll to true.

Thanks, this is the only way to scroll.

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

J. Elliot Razorledgeball posted:

chryst is right on the money, and the script you need to run at startup is /etc/init.d/netfs

To make sure it runs at startup, 'chkconfig netfs on'. If it still doesn't mount then yeah there may be a formatting problem in your fstab...

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Thanks, this is the only way to scroll.

For everyone else there is a easier way to do this via the Preference window that doesnt involve about :config. Click the Advanced icon and click Use Autoscrolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rookieone
May 25, 2004

A small town never forgets
EDIT: disregard, I'll just resize my /home to something way smaller (say 10Gb) and add the remaining free space to the Logical Volume

rookieone fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 11, 2008