Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

They're not that expensive now. Just do it man.

But seriously, I don't think FSJs are going to get that much more expensive in the future. You can still get J trucks for pretty cheap now. I can see Cherokees and J trucks getting pricey, but there will always be Wagoneers around.

I would but right know I have absolutely nowhere to put it and no money to work on it. My saved money right now is going to go toward a trip with my current cherokee through the southwest. I plan to hit Big Bend park, death valley and the San Rafael Swell. If I can get it all worked out I will be living and camping out of the cherokee for a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
That trip sounds awesome. I'm hoping to get my Jeep ready for some camping trips. Not for months, though. That's insane.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

That trip sounds awesome. I'm hoping to get my Jeep ready for some camping trips. Not for months, though. That's insane.

Sadly with gas prices looking like they are and a hiking trip to philmont in late july this trip is getting harder and harder to put together. My father has offered to loan me some money in addition to the money he is paying me for a summers work. Hopefully it will all come together. If it does you can expect a very large thread about it.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005
How would this be for a mild 'wheeler?

Jeep Pioneer

It doesn't look horrible. From what I can tell it has the early 4.0L, the AW-4 4sp AT, D30 High Pinion in the Front.

It has either a d44 (doubtful as I don't see a receiver hitch thinger), or a non-c-clip (better, I assume) d35 out back. I'm not too worried about the Dana 35 if that is what it has. I wouldn't be going too crazy with this initially and if I decide to, or I end up breaking the axle I have no problem swapping it.

I think I would almost prefer an automatic.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005
I think whether that is a good option or not I will be getting an XJ very soon. They are abundant on Craiglists, which means that I will have lots of options and also (because other buyers have lots of options) the trucks sit for a long time on CL and sellers are more flexible on price.

Pretty much the opposite of Land Cruisers, which I was previously considering (although I have a line on an FJ55, so there is an off chance I may still end up with one).

It seems like the Cherokee is pretty *the* vehicle for an entry level / budget off-road vehicle. Based on vehicle availability, initial price, parts availability, and price of parts it seems lower than anything else, and they can also be made quite capable. Solid axles front and rear, as I've found wheeling to be way less fun with IRS.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005
How about this Jeep? It was listed a while ago at $1200. Now it is $1000. If I could get it to <$800 I will buy it assuming nothing major is wrong (previous owner says there are no problems with it at all). It is a 4x4. I'm not SURE about the engine, but I'm guessing it is a 6 as the interior looks nice-ish compared to a stripper model:

88 Cherokee

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well I finally got to New York and had a chance to put the Cherokee in 4WD, the camp ground I'm working at has some pretty fun dirt roads way back in the sticks, add rain and it's fun in the mud.

I've noticed a "clunking" coming from the front end going over bumps and pot holes, anyone have an idea what it may be?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

leica posted:

I've noticed a "clunking" coming from the front end going over bumps and pot holes, anyone have an idea what it may be?

Is it just a single clunk or a few clunks in a row?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

One single clunk over any significant bump/hole at low speed. I noticed it a bit going in and out of my driveway in Florida (which had basically a curb at the end of it) and didn't think much of it, but on the trail it was much more prominent.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

leica posted:

One single clunk over any significant bump/hole at low speed. I noticed it a bit going in and out of my driveway in Florida (which had basically a curb at the end of it) and didn't think much of it, but on the trail it was much more prominent.

First thing I would do is check and make sure nothing is loose and striking something else. Other than that I can't help for a clunk.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

leica posted:

Strut bearing, maybe? They sometimes make clunking noises. Jack up the front wheels and see if you can move the strut in the tower. You shouldn't be able to.

russ6570
Nov 13, 2006

MrZig posted:

30"x9.50 will be the max depending on your current suspension.

Anything wider will rub on your control arms (need new rims), and anything taller will definitely rub your fenders.

Edit: 30's may still rub your suspension even from the factory. You're 100% safe with 235/75/r15 if your leafs aren't sagged. I'd still go with 30's though.

Thanks a lot. Can anybody recommend a particular tire?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I finished swapping in an AX15 & NP242 combo into my '89 Cherokee XJ. My jeep was immobile for 7 days, but I took the week off. I didn't want to rush anything. Hot drat, for a tranny with 350,000 KMs, and a transfercase with 250,000 KMs, it shifts and runs beautifully. The clutch could use a little more bleeding as it's fairly soft but drat I'm happy. I'm going to make a huge writeup for NAXJA and I'll post the link here when I'm done. Have lots of pictures and will write all the problems I encountered and how to fix them so hopefully it'll help more people to do it.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Another new Jeep owner reporting in!

I bought this: a couple of weeks ago.

I used to have a Nissan Hardbody 4x4, but it was in an accident worthy of it's own thread, and I used the insurance payout to pick this up ($2000). It's a 92 Cherokee Laredo, with 195,000km on it. There is ZERO rust on it, and all the fluids (xfer, trans, diffs, oil, etc) have been changed. Some family members think I have rocks in my head for buying a Jeep with gas at $1.30/L, but I looked up mpg ratings and it apparently gets the same as what my truck got, with the major difference that this thing is a ROCKET compared to my pickup.

I've already put on some 235/75/R15s, and am considering a 3" lift kit. Are there any cheaper/recommended brands? Will I have to extend driveshafts or anything, or is it a simple weekend bolt-in (haha) job?

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?

Disciple of Pain posted:

Strut bearing, maybe? They sometimes make clunking noises. Jack up the front wheels and see if you can move the strut in the tower. You shouldn't be able to.

Cherokees don't have struts or strut towers, unless you're talking about shocks. Check and make sure your trackbar is tight on the axle end, make sure your upper and lower control arm bushings are okay, and check and see if your motor mounts aren't shot, those things are the most common source of clunking on an XJ.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
So in order to keep my project jeep more 'canon' to the film, I bought an aftermarket factory-style soft top hardware set, along with a matching brown bestop. Basically I caved in during a heavy rainstorm somewhere between Longmont and Boulder at like two in the morning, deciding to get a soft top just for such occasions. I figured it would look like the jeep in the movie and if the weather got ridiculously lovely I could pull the whole thing up with minimal effort and continue on my way.

The jeep I bought came with a black supertop, the hardware of which doesn't look anything like that in the film, but I managed to set up the whole thing by myself, with no previous knowledge or experience, in about a half hour.

Tonight Bruno_me and I tried getting the new thing on, and for the love of god two hours later we still can get it to fit perfectly. The hardware setup is ingenius, with the sliding bars that fold down and all lock together. But the actual canvas part, mother of GOD... gently caress YOU bestop. I figure that if I am on the road with that thing and it starts raining, not only will the storm have passed by the time I get it all zipped up, but it will likely be a whole different season

Any magic tricks for the factory setup or is this just why the supertop sells so well?

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

Boomerjinks posted:

Stuff...

Every soft-top I've ever tried to take out of a box and put on a Jeep is like that.

By the way, how was your recent trip to Sears/Foothills Mall? :v:

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008

285/75/16's on stock wheels. 300 dollars for the full set, with a never used spare :D

I now have a budget boost (2") on it, and pillar lights.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Boomerjinks posted:

Any magic tricks for the factory setup or is this just why the supertop sells so well?
Just put it on a lot. The top is going to be really hard to put on if it was folded up in a box or if it's cold at all. After awhile, you'll learn the easiest way to put it on (e.g. start this zipper, then tuck in this little plastic flap, then start the other zipper, put in this flap but make sure it is exactly this far to the right so this other part fits on). YJ tops are a bitch.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ManicJason posted:

Just put it on a lot. The top is going to be really hard to put on if it was folded up in a box or if it's cold at all. After awhile, you'll learn the easiest way to put it on (e.g. start this zipper, then tuck in this little plastic flap, then start the other zipper, put in this flap but make sure it is exactly this far to the right so this other part fits on). YJ tops are a bitch.

Is there ANY company that makes a windjammer that doesnt leave huge gaps around the sides? I bought a used one and it didnt do a goddamned bit of good, all it did was funnel all wind and water right at my left shoulder and ear.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Disciple of Pain posted:

Every soft-top I've ever tried to take out of a box and put on a Jeep is like that.

By the way, how was your recent trip to Sears/Foothills Mall? :v:

Too bad there isn't a fat jeep that could put it on and stretch it out for me. loving gently caress!

Also, I work there. Run the computer gaming center in there, have for the last four years. You oughta come by sometime, at least before my last day (sometime this week).

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Boomerjinks posted:

Too bad there isn't a fat jeep that could put it on and stretch it out for me. loving gently caress!

Park it out in the sun and it will help stretch the top out. I had the same problem with my CJ7.

A friend was spending the weekend with me so we went for a little exploration in the Sam Houston National Forest. I found an awesome little 1 mile trail that you definitely need a small 4wheel drive with a good lift to get through. In one section I had a less than 2" of clearance on either side of the Cherokee. The trail leads to a nice little camping spot by Lake Conroe that I am going to take some friends to next week. If anyone in the Houston area is looking for a good camping spot with no activity feel free to PM me for GPS coordinates. If anyone wants to meet me there or knows of any other trails I would be more than happy to hang out.

Two pictures from my cell phone.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 25, 2008

Jdohyeah
Apr 15, 2006

You... accuse... me?
Photos taken at the dealer in Sydney

I'm anxiously awaiting my new baby to be delivered to me in another state, but soon I will be joining the Jeep club with you guys :3

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jdohyeah posted:

Photos taken at the dealer in Sydney

I'm anxiously awaiting my new baby to be delivered to me in another state, but soon I will be joining the Jeep club with you guys :3

Is that the CRD diesel model?

Jdohyeah
Apr 15, 2006

You... accuse... me?
Yeah, apparently the engine maker for this version is VM Motorli (Italy). And while diesel is more expensive, i'm out in a rural area where long roads mean it should pay off in fuel efficiency

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

CommieGIR posted:

Is that the CRD diesel model?

Did the CRD badge on the back give it away? :v:

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*
I just bought my very first Jeep a couple days ago on Memorial Day. A 1994 YJ with the 4.0L 6 cly and the 5 spd.

It has a few things that need attention:

- replace hood because a tree limb fell on it during a storm
- complete service and fluids change
- minor leak from rear axle
- rear glass on the hardtop is out, I'm cutting a piece of plexiglass or lexan to fit it, no way am I paying $500+ to replace it with glass
- windshield wipers are comically sluggish

Here are the positives:

- 4.0 runs great
- clutch & tranny are smooth feeling, a very little stickiness on reverse
- body metal & trim is almost perfect other than the hood
- interior is in remarkably good shape
- no "problem" rust at all

I am so excited to play with this thing this summer, it should make a great first Jeep.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 15, 2009

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jdohyeah posted:

Yeah, apparently the engine maker for this version is VM Motorli (Italy). And while diesel is more expensive, i'm out in a rural area where long roads mean it should pay off in fuel efficiency

That is wonderful. Actualy, VM has been making the diesels for Jeeps for years, just mostly in the European models (a 2.5l VM was used in early Cherokees in Europe)

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
While visiting my friend in Bend this last weekend, it seems her parents acquired a new Jeep.

This thing is burly, is chipped, geared, has Poison Spider axles, sits atop fully beadlocked 37s and *sniffle* will never see a day off road. Of course, if it goes over more than a speed bump, those 37s will stuff themselves through the fenders.

Next to it is their boat hauler/work truck (also on 37s).

Behind that is my friend's yellow TJ (on 33s) that I got to flog in the woods. There are some great trails 10 minutes outside of Bend!

If you look hard enough in the background, you can see the top of their purple NOS injected 76 Bronco (on 35" BFG A/Ts).

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Braincloud posted:

While visiting my friend in Bend this last weekend, it seems her parents acquired a new Jeep.

This thing is burly, is chipped, geared, has Poison Spider axles, sits atop fully beadlocked 37s and *sniffle* will never see a day off road. Of course, if it goes over more than a speed bump, those 37s will stuff themselves through the fenders.

And they had the audacity to slap a Moab sticker on it. What is wrong with people?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Atticus_1354 posted:

And they had the audacity to slap a Moab sticker on it. What is wrong with people?

Actually, those were on it when they bought it.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Braincloud posted:

Actually, those were on it when they bought it.

Please help them take them off. I don't mind if you want a pavement pounder, but I hate when people fake it.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Atticus_1354 posted:

Please help them take them off. I don't mind if you want a pavement pounder, but I hate when people fake it.

makes ya wonder if the beadlocks are real, it looks to have a nice front bumper on it too, i wouldn't be suprised if that hasn't seen trail time..

sinon
Sep 28, 2005

Braincloud posted:

Next to it is their boat hauler/work truck (also on 37s).

Behind that is my friend's yellow TJ (on 33s) that I got to flog in the woods. There are some great trails 10 minutes outside of Bend!

If you look hard enough in the background, you can see the top of their purple NOS injected 76 Bronco (on 35" BFG A/Ts).

They actually purchased this one as is, if I remember correctly. Saw it at a dealership a while ago (I live in Bend)
This is the one with the warn wench on the front, correct? (hard to tell, although I doubt there's many beadlocked JK's on 37's with MOAB painted across it in Bend)

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Veeb0rg posted:

makes ya wonder if the beadlocks are real, it looks to have a nice front bumper on it too, i wouldn't be suprised if that hasn't seen trail time..

Oh god I just noticed the winch on it. Why wont they just take it offroad? I wish someone would come along and treat it right. It's like a poor lost puppy.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Anyone have an opinion on Omix-ada stuff? I don't have a modern jeep so I haven't really been shopping aftermarket, but I'm heading up to their office next week and wanted to know if there's anything particularly cool to ask about. They're looking for engineers and I hope there is an parts analysis position in the future for me.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*
I've got that great 4.0L and the 5sp AX15 in the YJ, but I just cleaned off the back and it looks like my gear ratio in the Dana 35 is only 3.07 :( I'm not planning on swapping out the axles for a while to give me a chance to get used to the vehicle.

I was reading up on some jeep forums, can I do something mild like a 2" lift and 30" tires on a 3.07 without it driving like crap or losing 5th gear? Any bigger would be bad though?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Legitimate posted:

I've got that great 4.0L and the 5sp AX15 in the YJ, but I just cleaned off the back and it looks like my gear ratio in the Dana 35 is only 3.07 :( I'm not planning on swapping out the axles for a while to give me a chance to get used to the vehicle.

I was reading up on some jeep forums, can I do something mild like a 2" lift and 30" tires on a 3.07 without it driving like crap or losing 5th gear? Any bigger would be bad though?

I think the Cherokees have the same wheelbasee as the Wranglers, go pull a pair of 3.73 Axles from one or larger if you can find them

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

sinon posted:

They actually purchased this one as is, if I remember correctly. Saw it at a dealership a while ago (I live in Bend)
This is the one with the warn wench on the front, correct? (hard to tell, although I doubt there's many beadlocked JK's on 37's with MOAB painted across it in Bend)

It's actually a Ramsey in a Warn bumper on the front (Warn on the back too). It came on 35s and chrome wheels which they got rid of and then put the 37s on. And yes, those are real beadlocks on them. I really, really wanted to take it in the woods out on China Hat but there's not a chance in hell that would happen.

But if you happen to see them in Bend, give them a wave. They're the nicest, greatest people in the world and a whole lot of fun to party with. They just really like to have completely excessive vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CommieGIR posted:

I think the Cherokees have the same wheelbasee as the Wranglers, go pull a pair of 3.73 Axles from one or larger if you can find them

Plenty of YJs came with 3.73 or even 4.10s too...that'll widen your search a bit.

Edit: Look for a 4banger.