Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Ok, so has anyone heard the new Venom album, Hell yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ffubalo bill
Jun 22, 2005

mmmmmmm, savor flavor
Grimey Drawer

The Bow posted:

WHAT?! Goddamn I'm always out of the loop. I wonder if it's for sale yet...

I ordered it and already got it in the mail. You can order it from here.

Its great.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Debut MP3 from Krallice, the Mick Barr black metal project, has been posted legitimately here: http://www.profoundlorerecords.com/mp3/Krallice_Wretched.mp3

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
It appears that T. Warrior has risen from the dark ashes of Celtic Frost with...

Triptykon!!! :black101:

http://www.myspace.com/triptykonofficial

Call it it whatever you like Warrior. I just want more material in the vein of Monotheist.

Sturmtiger IV posted:

Skeletonwitch's new album Beyond The Permafrost is all I've been listening to the last week. I love thrash with my black, anyone got similar recommendations?

I'd recommend Watain's last album, Sworn to the Dark. It's a great mix of thrash and black.

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 21, 2008

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

kirkjames posted:

I'll probably get poo poo because they aren't true black metal or whatever, but Wolves in the Throne Room, especially their newest album loving rules.

I've never heard this "wolves in the throne room aren't true black metal" sentiment that you mention. I saw them live in Athens, OH a few months back and they were black metal as gently caress. Reminded me a lot of a sort of Darkthrone/In the Nightside Eclipse-era Emperor fusion. I just kept thinking that they sounded like they had been plucked straight out of Bergen in '94. But that was their live show, I can't comment on their album. They loving killed though.

Sturmtiger IV posted:

Skeletonwitch's new album Beyond The Permafrost is all I've been listening to the last week. I love thrash with my black, anyone got similar recommendations?

This is absolute truth. They're from my hometown of Athens, OH and I went to school with their drummer and their bassist was my roommate so I saw a bunch of their shows before they were signed and they've always been one of my favorites. With their new album I think they've had their first opportunity to put their black/thrash sound out there to a bigger audience. Highly reccomended. As for similar sounding bands...Insurrect comes to mind, but they're pretty small-time still so you might not be able to track anything down.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Racing Stripe posted:

I've never heard this "wolves in the throne room aren't true black metal" sentiment that you mention. I saw them live in Athens, OH a few months back and they were black metal as gently caress. Reminded me a lot of a sort of Darkthrone/In the Nightside Eclipse-era Emperor fusion. I just kept thinking that they sounded like they had been plucked straight out of Bergen in '94. But that was their live show, I can't comment on their album. They loving killed though.

Well they have a bit more going on than just black metal, and I guess that coupled with their hipster appeal makes some of the more narrow minded metalheads dislike them. Who cares though.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 21, 2008

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Yeah i've heard a few people call the type of black metal that Wolves in the Throne Room play "hipster metal" as weird as that is to me.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I've heard people complain about their "hippy" life style, Southern Lord's hipster appeal, and of course how the style of metal they're playing is trendy. Also, the obvious "not satanic = not black metal"

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Does this surprise anyone else?

Reactivated Norwegian Black Metallers RAGNAROK Planning New Album

Reactivated Norwegian black metallers RAGNAROK have unveiled their new lineup consisting of the following musicians:

HansFyrste (vocals)
Brigge (guitar)
Decepticon (bass and backing vocals)
Jontho (drums)

Jontho states: "We will play at the Storm of Destruction festival in [Ingolstadt] Germany this weekend [May 23] and we are planning touring in Europe and the United States later this year. We also do plan our next album these days that will be released in early 2009 via Regain Records at the same time as we will celebrate 15 years of spreading mental terror to the masses."

For more information, visit
https://www.myspace.com/ragnarok

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It's called hipster metal because for whatever reason it just happens to appeal to them. I've never been to one, but everyone that's been to a Wolves In The Throne Room concert said it was more hipsters than metalheads.

HOLYFLAMINGCRAP
Jan 29, 2004
Moves like a Movie Star
I personally blame Vice magazine for the entire Hipster black metal thing since its basically a free monthly hipster bible and they have had a hard on for black metal for the last few years. The new issue actually has a couple pages dedicated to black metal since they just released Peter Beste's True Norwegian Black Metal photography book. Though I must add I live in Willamsburg, hipster center of the universe and I still have yet to actually meet anyone who listens to any of the so called hipster metal bands...

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

HOLYFLAMINGCRAP posted:

I personally blame Vice magazine for the entire Hipster black metal thing since its basically a free monthly hipster bible and they have had a hard on for black metal for the last few years. The new issue actually has a couple pages dedicated to black metal since they just released Peter Beste's True Norwegian Black Metal photography book. Though I must add I live in Willamsburg, hipster center of the universe and I still have yet to actually meet anyone who listens to any of the so called hipster metal bands...

Or the fact that the only two genres left that are unlistenable to most people are noise and black metal, and black metal is easier to stomach.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Dyna Soar posted:

Or the fact that the only two genres left that are unlistenable to most people are noise and black metal, and black metal is easier to stomach.

But saying you listen to Merzbow makes you sound soooo much cooler than saying you listen to Bathory or something. :rolleyes:

fake edit-- I hate hipsters

double fake edit-- I love WitTR

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Listening to something to be cool is loving gay as hell and I hope goons here at least have some semblance to not do that.

Why listen to something if you don't even like it? Why does someone's else opinion of you matter so much? I honestly don't get it.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

The Bow posted:

Listening to something to be cool is loving gay as hell and I hope goons here at least have some semblance to not do that.

Why listen to something if you don't even like it? Why does someone's else opinion of you matter so much? I honestly don't get it.
Nobody does this. Nobody is admitting to doing this. Stop making poo poo up so you can respond with "Man, I just don't get people like that".

qpzil posted:

But saying you listen to Merzbow makes you sound soooo much cooler than saying you listen to Bathory or something. :rolleyes:
What the gently caress are you talking about? Who's saying this? (and so help me if you say "hipsters" I'm going to wash your mouth out with soap)

WitTR alternate between boring ambient poo poo and some decent black metal but they've gotten a shitload of press, even in mainstream outlets. Unfortunately, that press is only half-related to their music, the rest is the image, the hippie philosophy bullshit, etc.. So, yeah, it's sort of annoying to see a mediocre band get lots of publicity for stuff unrelated to their music, when much better bands in the same genre languish in relative obscurity.

This publicity blitz also results in the situation where there are people who don't typically listen to metal who will go on and on about the band while being largely ignorant of what other black metal is out there (and show little interest in learning more), which is pretty obnoxious.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

het posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? Who's saying this? (and so help me if you say "hipsters" I'm going to wash your mouth out with soap)
Well, I'll skirt around the word then. I know a number of people that would, for instance, buy band t-shirts of bands they don't even really listen to, own CDs that they've never listened to, etc., just because of the name. The person I quoted was mentioning two genres of music that were "unlistenable" - those same types of kids I just mentioned would say they listen to these "unlistenable" bands/artists to seem, I don't know, like they have some sort of deep appreciation for this incredibly niche genre. It's the same reason they buy band t-shirts or CDs of bands they hardly even like, it puts them on some higher level with their peers. The same reason people say "yeah, well, I listened to them before they got big" - it's all street credit.

I'm not endorsing it, I was just making a tongue-in-cheek response based on people I'm acquainted with in my city. I assume there are the same type of people all over the US.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

het posted:

WitTR alternate between boring ambient poo poo and some decent black metal but they've gotten a shitload of press, even in mainstream outlets. Unfortunately, that press is only half-related to their music, the rest is the image, the hippie philosophy bullshit, etc.. So, yeah, it's sort of annoying to see a mediocre band get lots of publicity for stuff unrelated to their music, when much better bands in the same genre languish in relative obscurity.

This publicity blitz also results in the situation where there are people who don't typically listen to metal who will go on and on about the band while being largely ignorant of what other black metal is out there (and show little interest in learning more), which is pretty obnoxious.

I dunno, I quite like the "boring ambient poo poo" and the general direction they're taking their music, and I think the bm parts are on par with the classics.

You say that they're mediocre like it's an universal truth, but on the contrary lots and lots of people who know their black metal agree with me that WITTR are an ace band and pay no attention to the press they get or where they live.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Dyna Soar posted:

I dunno, I quite like the "boring ambient poo poo" and the general direction they're taking their music, and I think the bm parts are on par with the classics.

You say that they're mediocre like it's an universal truth, but on the contrary lots and lots of people who know their black metal agree with me that WITTR are an ace band and pay no attention to the press they get or where they live.
I'm aware that there are people who listen to black metal otherwise and also like WitTR, I'm just trying to explain why there is hostility towards the effusive praise of them.

qpzil posted:

Well, I'll skirt around the word then. I know a number of people that would, for instance, buy band t-shirts of bands they don't even really listen to, own CDs that they've never listened to, etc., just because of the name. The person I quoted was mentioning two genres of music that were "unlistenable" - those same types of kids I just mentioned would say they listen to these "unlistenable" bands/artists to seem, I don't know, like they have some sort of deep appreciation for this incredibly niche genre. It's the same reason they buy band t-shirts or CDs of bands they hardly even like, it puts them on some higher level with their peers. The same reason people say "yeah, well, I listened to them before they got big" - it's all street credit.
And I'm saying that the stereotype of only liking bands because it's cool, wearing shirts of bands they don't listen to, and caring solely about "scene cred" is largely a bullshit fairy tale. These people don't actually exist in the way that you described them.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

het posted:

I'm aware that there are people who listen to black metal otherwise and also like WitTR, I'm just trying to explain why there is hostility towards the effusive praise of them.

You didn't really explain anything though since your main point was that they're mediocre and don't deserve the press they get, which is only your opinion. I'd say they annoy some black metal enthusiasts because they have a limited taste and are too narrow minded to appreciate anything that doesn't sound like it was made in a norwegian basement in the early 90s.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Dyna Soar posted:

I'd say they annoy some black metal enthusiasts because they have a limited taste and are too narrow minded to appreciate anything that doesn't sound like it was made in a norwegian basement in the early 90s.
That's not true but feel free to hypothesize on people's SECRET SHAMEFUL MOTIVES for their taste in music.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

het posted:

That's not true but feel free to hypothesize on people's SECRET SHAMEFUL MOTIVES for their taste in music.

And you feel free to act like an arrogant prick.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Dyna Soar posted:

And you feel free to act like an arrogant prick.

In what way is he being an arrogant prick? It is indisputable fact that WITTR have received mainstream coverage like no other black metal band has in recent memory, hell they were reviewed in pitchfork, which incidentally led to quite a few more "mainstream" sites reviewing them. These reviews had two things in common - High scores, and laughable attempts at comparisons with other bands and to understand the "scene" in general. The only other band I've seen name-dropped anywhere near as often are bone awl, who are similarly overrated.

So called "black metal enthusiasts" find it pretty disgusting that people can label this band as unique, "the best usbm" or otherwise - because all that shows is a distinct lack of knowledge of the genre. Much like your comment about listening to "norwegian basement" recordings.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Gr31lly posted:

In what way is he being an arrogant prick? It is indisputable fact that WITTR have received mainstream coverage like no other black metal band has in recent memory, hell they were reviewed in pitchfork, which incidentally led to quite a few more "mainstream" sites reviewing them. These reviews had two things in common - High scores, and laughable attempts at comparisons with other bands and to understand the "scene" in general. The only other band I've seen name-dropped anywhere near as often are bone awl, who are similarly overrated.

He was being arrogant when he said that they're disliked because they're mediocre and don't deserve the attention they get, which a lot of people who know their poo poo disagree with. He was, as are you, making his opinion the absolute truth and the sole voice of anyone who knows anything about black metal.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 23, 2008

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Dyna Soar posted:

Hah, so having a review on pitchfork makes a band bad? That's pretty loving retarded. He was being arrogant when he said that they're disliked because they're mediocre and don't deserve the attention they get, which a lot of people who know their poo poo disagree with. He was, as are you, making his opinion the absolute truth and the sole voice of anyone who knows anything about black metal.

Do you suffer from a condition that affects your reading comprehension? Being reviewed on Pitchfork does not necessarily make a band bad, in no way state or form was that said or implied. It was used as an example of mainstream mediums who do not have extensive knowledge of the material they are reviewing (and if you doubt the veracity of that claim, the review is available for you to read at their website).

Who cares about "lots of people who know their poo poo"? I don't base my opinions on whatever the majority believe, that sort of herd mentality is anathema to the music you're describing.

You are being just as arrogant when you refer to people as only listening to norwegian basement metal. And you're being deeply ignorant too - because as anyone who knows anything about black metal would tell you, the early greek, czech and french scenes offer material that is at least equal to, and is many cases vastly superior to, whatever the norwegians created. The norwegian scene is given more credit simply because of the media attention it garnered and the image it projected - much like the current wave of USBM bands.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Dyna Soar posted:

He was, as are you, making his opinion the absolute truth and the sole voice of anyone who knows anything about black metal.

Welcome to NMD metal threads

HOLYFLAMINGCRAP
Jan 29, 2004
Moves like a Movie Star
I really loved the new Dark Fortress and Azaghal albums someone recommended earlier. Any other new releases worth checking out? Also any bands you can recommend that do deeper black metal vocals like the Dark Fortress album. Its refreshing to hear something other than a screech.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Gr31lly posted:

Do you suffer from a condition that affects your reading comprehension? Being reviewed on Pitchfork does not necessarily make a band bad, in no way state or form was that said or implied. It was used as an example of mainstream mediums who do not have extensive knowledge of the material they are reviewing (and if you doubt the veracity of that claim, the review is available for you to read at their website).
yeah I edited it after a second read

Gr31lly posted:

words

Without all this media coverage you wouldn't be listening to bm. Again all I see is opinions stated as facts.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

HOLYFLAMINGCRAP posted:

Also any bands you can recommend that do deeper black metal vocals like the Dark Fortress album. Its refreshing to hear something other than a screech.

Try Varathron's His Majesty at the Swamp. There is no screeching at all employed, but an almost gutteral, lazy growl. The pacing of the album is vastly different to something like DF though. Screeches aren't as dominant a feature of black metal as you'd think really. Obviously there's some famous and infamous exceptions, but in general that's a misconception propogated by mainstream coverage.

Dyna Soar posted:

Without all this media coverage you wouldn't be listening to bm. Again all I see is opinions stated as facts.

It is a logical fallacy to believe that someone would listen to a genre which spurns the mainstream purely as a result of its coverage. And I have stated nothing but facts, so perhaps you would like to research further inside the genre if you really regard it all as "opinion". You on the other hand, have done nothing but make assumptions about posters based on predefined ideas/prejudices.

HOLYFLAMINGCRAP
Jan 29, 2004
Moves like a Movie Star

Gr31lly posted:

Try Varathron's His Majesty at the Swamp. There is no screeching at all employed, but an almost gutteral, lazy growl. The pacing of the album is vastly different to something like DF though. Screeches aren't as dominant a feature of black metal as you'd think really. Obviously there's some famous and infamous exceptions, but in general that's a misconception propogated by mainstream coverage.
Its not so much me thinking all black metal is screeching because thats what I read somewhere and all I know.. so much as I prefer high screechy vocals generally and its rare for me to hear deeper vocals I like so much like the Dark Fortress' kinda of talky low growl. I'll definitely check out your recommendation though, thanks!

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

I am, how you say, Russian Guyovich

Gr31lly posted:

Being reviewed on Pitchfork does not necessarily make a band bad

Pitchfork totally underrated Bergraven's last album from last year. Probably too much black metal and dark ambient and not enough "shoegaze" influence.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's called hipster metal because for whatever reason it just happens to appeal to them. I've never been to one, but everyone that's been to a Wolves In The Throne Room concert said it was more hipsters than metalheads.

Not in London this February, it wasn't. Maybe it's a North American press thing?

On a side note, I went to a Merzbow concert and I pretty much hated it (sorry, Kai!). I'm glad I went for the experience, but my goodness, never again.

Thanks to everyone in this thread and the other one - you know the one I mean - who has recommended Mirrorthrone. I am addicted.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Anyone know a reputable place in the US to order the new limited edition Satyricon My Skin Is Cold EP (7 inch gatefold marbled vinyl + CD) online? It's suppose to be pretty impressive looking. None of the usual places I shop has it listed and it's suppose to come out next week.

Noktorn
May 30, 2008

Death Rotisserie posted:

Pitchfork totally underrated Bergraven's last album from last year. Probably too much black metal and dark ambient and not enough "shoegaze" influence.

Generally what it ends up being. I seriously doubt Pitchfork would give a review to a straightforward black metal album devoid of any post-rock or ambient leanings. Unless it was a Darkthrone album or something to shuttle off with a 7/10 to seem more credible. What did their fancy for BM start with? The first I remember was Xasthur.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
If anyone cares, the Gaahl flavored version of Gorgoroth has announced their lineup for their 2008 live appearances.

Gaahl - Vocals
King ov Hell - Bass
Nick Barker - Drums (Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Anaal Nathrakh, Testament, Old Man's Child, etc)
Teloch - Guitar (Gorgoroth, 1349)
Ice Dale - Guitar (Enslaved)

Impressive! :black101:

Sturmtiger IV
Jun 20, 2004

So is that thing a robot or a monkey or what

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I'd recommend Watain's last album, Sworn to the Dark. It's a great mix of thrash and black.

Yes. Argh, this album is awesome :black101:. Watain rules, I hope to god they eventually come somewhere reasonably close to where I live.

Noktorn
May 30, 2008
Watain are like the go-to band for any black metal tour these days so it'd really be difficult to avoid them. Like 70% of the somewhat major black metal shows that pass by my area feature them just under the headliner.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
After someone in here stood up for black metal from non-scandinavian countries I looked into a few bands. I have to agree, Kludde and Gorath are loving GREAT. Early 90's sensibility with more attention to rhythm and groove.

If only either one had more than one album out.

Anyone familiar with Kludde and Gorath, who else should I look at?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Why would someone need to stand up for non-scandinavian black metal? Pretty much all the good stuff is from places that aren't Scandinavia.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Could someone point me in the direction of some quality nsbm bands? I'm thinking stuff like Satanic Warmaster and Nokturnal Mortum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noktorn
May 30, 2008
Legion Of Doom is awesome. Local band Wolfenreich did some cool stuff before they broke up. Oh, almost forgot Fanisk who are amazing. Arysk is a good unknown Australian band. NSBM mostly sucks though.