Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I think Uberwald has a fair bit of Germany in it, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Entropic posted:

I just finished Jingo, so I'm well on the I-heart-Vimes bandwagon now.

So let me just see if I have the approximate analogical geography right...

Lancre ~ Scotland
Genua ~ France, Louisiana
Agatean Empire ~ China, Japan
Klatch ~ Arabia, India
XXXX ~ Australia
Uberwald ~ Transylvania (took me ages to work out the wordplay there)

what'd I miss out?

Howondaland on the Klatchian continent is the catchall for jungle areas, sort of a combination of South/Central America and the African jungles. Rincewind goes there in Eric and encounters Quetzovercoatal, so it's got a Mayan/Incan vibe.

The Hubland seems to be a combination of the Himalayas and the North Pole. I believe the Monks of Time, who are based on Tibetan monks, live there.

The Rim seems to be equivalent to the equatorial and South Pacific islands.

Llamados is definitely some part of the British Isles. It's rainy and has druids and standing stones.

What about Omnia? It's got obvious parallels to the Catholic church but it's set in a desert... maybe a mixture of Jersualem, Mecca and Vatican City?

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

Hentaikid posted:

Jeffrey Jones (As well as Alan Rickman) was Terry's casting choice for Vetinari, at least some years ago
Jones' legal problems probably ensure that he wouldn't get it.

Rickman, on the other hand, seems ideal. The only problem is that people might start thinking "Lord Snape", and we haven't seen him do a good eyebrow arch.

Mr. Moon
Oct 22, 2007
The sky is deep and dark and eternally high...

Leospeare posted:

Llamados is definitely some part of the British Isles. It's rainy and has druids and standing stones.

Llamedos (write it backwards) is most definitely Wales, given the language, the accent, the celtic themes, the huge amount of rain and more importantly the fact that the name is borrowed from the made-up Welsh town of Llareggub from Under Milk Wood. (again, spell it backwards)

Capn_Marrrrk
Apr 12, 2007
Yarrrr!

withak posted:

I think Lancre is just generic British-Isle hillbilly with no particular cultural cultural origin.

I recall reading somewhere that Lancre is based on the region (and it's size) where Pterry grew up, but with more cliffs.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pope Guilty posted:

I think Uberwald has a fair bit of Germany in it, as well.

Transylvania was part of the Austrian Empire fora few centuries and colonization area for the Teutonic Knights and German settlers since the 12th century. It was pretty much German until 1920 when it became part of Romania.

Decius fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 6, 2008

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Leospeare posted:

The Hubland seems to be a combination of the Himalayas and the North Pole. I believe the Monks of Time, who are based on Tibetan monks, live there.

There's also a bit of Scandinavia in there, since it is the main source of epic barbarian heroes, seeking their fortunes in the sunnier climes of A-M.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

So let me just see if I have the approximate analogical geography right...

Lancre ~ Scotland
Genua ~ France, Louisiana
Agatean Empire ~ China, Japan
Klatch ~ Arabia, India
XXXX ~ Australia
Uberwald ~ Transylvania (took me ages to work out the wordplay there)

what'd I miss out?

Quirm = France, or at least Quirmian is French.

NastyPBears
May 2, 2003

Robots don't say "ye"

Capn_Marrrrk posted:

I recall reading somewhere that Lancre is based on the region (and it's size) where Pterry grew up, but with more cliffs.

Yeah, they do have Morris Dancers, aren't they an English rather than British thing?

EvilUrchin
Jun 13, 2007

Sigmar's Fist: 5 Star Crash Rating

shadok posted:

Quirm = France, or at least Quirmian is French.

Don't forget about Leonard de Quirm though, so it probably has some Italian mixed in as well.

Mr. Moon
Oct 22, 2007
The sky is deep and dark and eternally high...

NastyPBears posted:

Yeah, they do have Morris Dancers, aren't they an English rather than British thing?

Lancre is basically all of rural England rolled into one tiny vertical country, with bits of Scotland and so on thrown in for flavour.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I haven't been able to find The Last Hero in the few brick & mortars around here, is it not with the regular novels? I know the Tiffany Aching stuff is over in the teen section.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

LooseChanj posted:

I haven't been able to find The Last Hero in the few brick & mortars around here, is it not with the regular novels? I know the Tiffany Aching stuff is over in the teen section.

Well, it's much bigger than the other books and it has illustrations on every page, so it's not a "regular" novel per se. Though where it could be instead I don't know :sweatdrop:

Also I'm going to write a 12 page essay for the end of my university literature class about different moralic and ethical philosophies in Carpe Jugulum. gently caress Strindberg, I'm gonna write about vampires.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

LooseChanj posted:

I got mine from the comic book store when noone else had it; they might be worth a look.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Dead Alice posted:

I got mine from the comic book store when noone else had it; they might be worth a look.

Not at this point, I ordered it off B&N this morning. :keke:

I did discover a nifty little thingy where you can check local stores' inventories for stuff, so that was pretty cool.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I got halfway through Night Watch today and I'm loving it so far. I can take or leave stuff like the Witches books, but the Watch books have never failed to impress me. Anything with Vimes and Vetinari in it is gold.

And Night Watch has one of the best first sentences of the Discworld books:

quote:

Sam Vimes sighed when he heard the scream, but he finished shaving before he did anything about it.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I finished The Last Hero last night, and it was fun even though the story was a little light. But half the fun were the illustrations, so it wasn't any big deal. I love all the Kite stuff, since I'm a big space fan anyways.

Smobey
Mar 16, 2008
Only the first fifteen or so book are translated into Finnish, so I haven't gotten to enjoy his later work very much.

...Maybe I'll just buy them in English, though. It's just not as enjoyable to read it in your bizarre language.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Finns aren't allowed to call anyone else's language bizarre.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just realized what day it is today. Completely by coincidence I finished reading Night Watch on the Glorious 24th of May. And the lilacs are in bloom. :shobon: :patriot:

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
I would tend to agree that his latest books have been of an increasing quality - But then there is Making Money. Moist's character was bland and nothing like he was in Going Postal - He seemed to have all the charisma of a bumbling office worker with the charm of a gnat. It seemed an incredibly half-baked idea. As far as I could tell, it was Pratchett who was "Making Money".

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Noreaus posted:

I would tend to agree that his latest books have been of an increasing quality - But then there is Making Money. Moist's character was bland and nothing like he was in Going Postal - He seemed to have all the charisma of a bumbling office worker with the charm of a gnat. It seemed an incredibly half-baked idea. As far as I could tell, it was Pratchett who was "Making Money".

What about his characterisation did you think was bad? I tend to like Moist, and he's going to make a good replacement for Vetinari if it ever happens. And these are city books that dont dwell on the Watch for too long, because there are books totally given over to that now.

Wish he'd go off and do one big book about Ephebe, or XXXX (without Rincewind) or on Twoflower.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ibroxmassive posted:

What about his characterisation did you think was bad? I tend to like Moist, and he's going to make a good replacement for Vetinari if it ever happens.

Vetinari does seem to be grooming him as a potential replacement, in my estimation.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

The_Doctor posted:

Vetinari does seem to be grooming him as a potential replacement, in my estimation.

The thing is, and I know this is quite morbid, that story arc seems to need at least three or more books to fully complete. It'd be really horrible if Terry couldn't write any more and the stories went unwritten, unless Terry himself groomed a successor to write the stories he wanted too.

As below, so above kinda thing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ibroxmassive posted:

The thing is, and I know this is quite morbid, that story arc seems to need at least three or more books to fully complete. It'd be really horrible if Terry couldn't write any more and the stories went unwritten, unless Terry himself groomed a successor to write the stories he wanted too.

As below, so above kinda thing.

He ate'nt dead yet. Stop being so morbid.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ibroxmassive posted:

unless Terry himself groomed a successor to write the stories he wanted too.

I asked him this once (we're cousins). He said Discworld dies with him, as it were.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I asked him this once (we're cousins). He said Discworld dies with him, as it were.

You have another cousin at Nintendo, perchance?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MultiJoe posted:

You have another cousin at Nintendo, perchance?

Not that I know of, not in our immediate family, anyway.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Just finished reading Making Money, and I don't quite agree with the claim that it was no good and Moist had no charisma. Anyone who can get not only the city but 4,000 golems to do his bidding has got to have some charisma, after all. ;)

I've got Thud! lined up to read next, but I may save that for my vacation at the end of June. It's been a while since I read about old Vimesy so I'm looking forward to it.

iJay
Jul 6, 2005

Dolph Lundgren is awesome

Smobey posted:

Only the first fifteen or so book are translated into Finnish, so I haven't gotten to enjoy his later work very much.

...Maybe I'll just buy them in English, though. It's just not as enjoyable to read it in your bizarre language.

I think you really, really should read them in english. Even though those finnish translations are decent (I've read most of them) you still lose a lot when you're not reading in the language Pratchett wrote them. There are few wordplays and jokes here and there that just can't be or are not translated. And there's this subjective "feel" to these books that I find some of translated books lack.

And the english version are also a lot cheaper too.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chamberk posted:

Just finished reading Making Money, and I don't quite agree with the claim that it was no good and Moist had no charisma. Anyone who can get not only the city but 4,000 golems to do his bidding has got to have some charisma, after all. ;)

I've got Thud! lined up to read next, but I may save that for my vacation at the end of June. It's been a while since I read about old Vimesy so I'm looking forward to it.

Thud! is terrific. There's some really good payoff to the longstanding dwarf/troll animosity. And the Where's My Cow? bits just killed me. :)

The City Watch books just get progressively better and better.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I cant remember where I heard this but I think Terrys been asked about it and said that Moist doesent really have the killer instinct to be patrician.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Three Red Lights posted:

I cant remember where I heard this but I think Terrys been asked about it and said that Moist doesent really have the killer instinct to be patrician.

That's what the army of golems is for. Don't blame me, I voted for "Mad" Lord Snapcase.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
If anyone's going to replace the Patrician, it's gonna be Vimes. :colbert:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

LooseChanj posted:

He'd have to be dragged kicking and screaming. :colbert:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Entropic posted:

He'd have to be dragged kicking and screaming. :colbert:

Which is exactly why he's the perfect man for the job. :clint:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

LooseChanj posted:

Which is exactly why he's the perfect man for the job. :clint:

I'm not convinced. He'd piss off far too many people to survive for long.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Entropic posted:

I'm not convinced. He'd piss off far too many people to survive for long.

Which is what Moist's army of golems is for. Or having the entirety of the police force personally subservient to him, the Assassin's Guild refusing to take any more contracts on him, and his direct knowledge of and close relationship with every criminal of import in the city.

Not to mention that the benefit of killing him off could not come close to the difficulties involved with missing him. There is no corner of the Disc far enough away for you to hide in. Not to mention the unbelievable blowback from both his friends and enemies if you did kill him.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

LooseChanj posted:

Vimes and Vetinari are about the same age - if anything Vimes is a little older. Hardly protege material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

shadok posted:

Vimes and Vetinari are about the same age - if anything Vimes is a little older. Hardly protege material.

I think where Vetinari is concerned, *everyone* is protoge material. But my main logic here is that Vimes would be so reluctant a politician he'd actually be pretty good at it. Sort of the inverse of Douglas Adams "anyone who wants power shouldn't be allowed to have it". Plus he's the kind of bastard who won't be able to retire and will end up working till the day he dies.