Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Deacon of Delicious posted:

Agreed, you mentioned using VSTs with guitar. I'm poor and way too inexperienced, so I have no business spending money on good effects just yet. I've download VSThost and a few VST effects, but I'd be interested in "FAQs on using VSTs with guitar without having to spend any money, etc."

I'm going to assume you don't have any method of connecting your guitar to your computer. Soundcards and stuff are expensive, so you want some kind of USB interface. You probably want the cheapest option, so I'd suggest the Line 6 Toneport GX. (There's a cheaper one, but I can't find it. It might have been discontinued, look it up on ebay or something)*. It'll come with simple instructions, just plug it in, hey, you're ready to go.

Now, I'm just going to go through how my setup works here (I don't use a toneport myself, so it could be a lot simpler). As soon as you plug it in, Windows should recognise it as a USB Sound Card. What I do, is I set the microphone input to the guitar, and the output to my speakers. In my sound card drivers, I set the microphone input to "stereo mix". I dunno if I even have to do this, I don't think you do. Anyway, load up your VST host (Personally, I use Cantabile, you might want to try that too), load up your VST, and strum. Assuming everything have gone correctly, you should hear your guitar. Setup is relatively simple and I'm probably just overcomplicating things, you should be able to pick it up and play.

One problem you may encounter is lag. To attempt to fix this, download Asio4All. You should be able to change the audio driver in the settings of your VST host. The toneport may come with it's own ASIO drivers, if they work fine, just stick with them.

Anyway, this is just the basic groundwork, I understand I'm kinda all over the place in this post (stream of conciousness), so if there's anything you need to explain further, just ask, and I'm sure Agreed will help out (and he knows far more than me ;)). The main thing you need to think about is connecting your guitar to the computer. The rest is relatively simple.

*There isn't a cheaper one, I got confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Crybaby -> TS9DX or TS9DX -> Crybaby?

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Run Dodo Run posted:

good advice

:doh: I should have mentioned I'm using my sound card's line in and Aiso4All. It works for now, but there is a lot of hiss. I'm already considering a Toneport GX, and Cantabile looks pretty good for only $25. Those might be two of my first purchases when I get some extra cash. Thanks for the response!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Run Dodo Run posted:

I'm going to assume you don't have any method of connecting your guitar to your computer. Soundcards and stuff are expensive, so you want some kind of USB interface. You probably want the cheapest option, so I'd suggest the Line 6 Toneport GX. (There's a cheaper one, but I can't find it. It might have been discontinued, look it up on ebay or something)*. It'll come with simple instructions, just plug it in, hey, you're ready to go.

Now, I'm just going to go through how my setup works here (I don't use a toneport myself, so it could be a lot simpler). As soon as you plug it in, Windows should recognise it as a USB Sound Card. What I do, is I set the microphone input to the guitar, and the output to my speakers. In my sound card drivers, I set the microphone input to "stereo mix". I dunno if I even have to do this, I don't think you do. Anyway, load up your VST host (Personally, I use Cantabile, you might want to try that too), load up your VST, and strum. Assuming everything have gone correctly, you should hear your guitar. Setup is relatively simple and I'm probably just overcomplicating things, you should be able to pick it up and play.

One problem you may encounter is lag. To attempt to fix this, download Asio4All. You should be able to change the audio driver in the settings of your VST host. The toneport may come with it's own ASIO drivers, if they work fine, just stick with them.

Anyway, this is just the basic groundwork, I understand I'm kinda all over the place in this post (stream of conciousness), so if there's anything you need to explain further, just ask, and I'm sure Agreed will help out (and he knows far more than me ;)). The main thing you need to think about is connecting your guitar to the computer. The rest is relatively simple.

*There isn't a cheaper one, I got confused.

Going to correct some of this for the toneport. First off the toneport comes with gearbox which is line6s modelling software. The way the toneport works is you plug it in, install the drivers and gearbox using the cd provided. You plug your guitar and speakers into it, open up gearbox, and off you go. There is no lag due to how the software/hardware works so you dont need to worry about that. Gearbox comes with a bunch of amps and cabs and effects and has packs you can download to enhance it. Also if you do want to use your VSTs instead, it has a dry out option on gearbox and the toneport comes with its own asio drivers.

One thing you will need to note though, is that on some intel chipsets there is a problem with the usb chipset not providing a steady enough stream to the soundcard, causing intermittent hiccups in the sound. If you have an AMD you dont have to worry about it, but it is something consider.

Smiggles
Aug 7, 2006
Ay dios mio!

Susano-maku da! posted:

Oh yeah, and I don't know who I can ask about this...

I have a Death By Audio Supersonic Fuzz Gun, which has a gate mode and an oscillation mode. If I place it anywhere in the chain other than first, the oscillation mode gives ear piercing squealing. Why is that?

I'm planning on buying one of these in the next couple weeks. How have you liked it so far? Is it worth the relatively high price?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

This is a bit of an odd post but... what the heck. If anyone here is using or plans on using the bicycle chain link method to hold pedals to a pedalboard and wants me to mail them a couple of links, let me know. I picked up a new bike last week and am going to break apart the chain from the old one.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

bisticles posted:

using the bicycle chain link method to hold pedals to a pedalboard and wants me to mail them a couple of links
Dibs.

If you are serious I would love you forever for this, I was planning on setting up a pedalboard in such a way in the next week or two. (You can send me email through the link in my profile.)

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

Smiggles posted:

I'm planning on buying one of these in the next couple weeks. How have you liked it so far? Is it worth the relatively high price?

Yes, but I can see how some wouldn't like it. The word I would use to describe its sound is unstable. It's difficult to control and has a tendency to thin the sound a bit, but that's precisely the sound I'm going for: brutally harsh, more than anything else I've heard. Plug it in and you have an instant Noise music making machine.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

bisticles posted:

This is a bit of an odd post but... what the heck. If anyone here is using or plans on using the bicycle chain link method to hold pedals to a pedalboard and wants me to mail them a couple of links, let me know. I picked up a new bike last week and am going to break apart the chain from the old one.

That would be awesome! robertssean (atsign) gmail (PERIOD) com and we can work out the details.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Thoogsby posted:

Crybaby -> TS9DX or TS9DX -> Crybaby?

the first one

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Susano-maku da! posted:

Yes, but I can see how some wouldn't like it. The word I would use to describe its sound is unstable. It's difficult to control and has a tendency to thin the sound a bit, but that's precisely the sound I'm going for: brutally harsh, more than anything else I've heard. Plug it in and you have an instant Noise music making machine.

Since you seem to be into this sort of thing.. Is there a difference between the different feedback loop pedals? I'm sorta torn between someday picking up the Audible Disease Rupture 2 or Devi Ever's Eye of God. Also, I'm tempted to eventually get Devi's "Bit: The Legend of Fuzz" pedal, mostly because it just looks so nifty.

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.

im_sorry posted:

Since you seem to be into this sort of thing.. Is there a difference between the different feedback loop pedals? I'm sorta torn between someday picking up the Audible Disease Rupture 2 or Devi Ever's Eye of God. Also, I'm tempted to eventually get Devi's "Bit: The Legend of Fuzz" pedal, mostly because it just looks so nifty.
Devi's stuff is amazing. I got a Hyperion after Susano brought attention to the one that he won, and I'm planning on getting an Aenima soon, too. The fuzz textures are just awesome and so full sounding.

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I remember when Devi made nothing but weird, noisy pedals that had little appeal outside of "noise bands" and every blue moon would come out with something awesome or creative..... and only make a handful of them. The one complaint I always read was "how many fuzz pedals can one person make?" and in reality some of the pedals were the same circuits with different resistors or some such.

After his/her weird fixation with Z. Vex, Devi has stepped up and now makes some great poo poo that were I the type, I would love to have on my pedal board.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
Devi is a she, and apparently she goes batshit crazy when you mistake her for a he... Not that she posts here and not that we care!

im_sorry posted:

I actually don't know much about the feedback loops. I think it might be something I would pick up some day, but I'm not as full onto noise music currently. There's Eye of God youtube examples around, though. Sorry I can't comment any further.

The Bit: Legend of Fuzz I can comment on. Normally it sounds like (as the guy who reviewed it said) your speakers are ripping apart. The sound is more like the Supersonic Fuzz Gun only with less harshness, less options, and less depth. However, it actually takes a lot of fine tuning to really make it sound like an 8-bit game cartridge. Basically your control knob can only be in one or two places for it to work with your particular instrument. I get my best 8-bit beeps when I mute the strings.

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.

Susano-maku da! posted:

Devi is a she, and apparently she goes batshit crazy when you mistake her for a he... Not that she posts here and not that we care!
That's because 'she' used to be a 'he' and is transitioning to female at the moment.

Does anyone know anything about the Keeley true bypass mod for Dunlop Crybabies? How easy would it be for a relative newbie to the soldering/etc. to do (or should I just bite the bullet and pay for them to do it)?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Raze posted:

That's because 'she' used to be a 'he' and is transitioning to female at the moment.

Does anyone know anything about the Keeley true bypass mod for Dunlop Crybabies? How easy would it be for a relative newbie to the soldering/etc. to do (or should I just bite the bullet and pay for them to do it)?

It's pretty easy.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.castledine/greenfuz/tb4.html
http://misterwookie.blogspot.com/2006/03/crybaby-wah-pedal-true-bypass.html

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Raze posted:

It's actually pretty easy to convert any pedal to true bypass. The only thing you really need is a 3PDT toggle switch and some wire... and you could get away with a 2PDT if you're doing a wah, which doesn't typically have an LED.

In a True Bypass pedal, the circuit board is still getting power even when the pedal is bypassed... it's just that it's being, well, bypassed, so the signal is not affected. I just rewired a DOD YJM308 pedal to be true bypass. Not that I'm a TB snob or anything... it just didn't come with an LED and that bothered me. I used this as a guide. All in all, it took about half an hour.

You just have to spend some time either studying the layout of the pedal's innards or finding a diagram somewhere to find the circuit board's input and output and grounding spot. You could even add an LED pretty easily if you use a 3PDT toggle.

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I've been pretty sure that at one point Devi was a goon, back in 2005 she was posting things related to the SA on HCFX that weren't in the attitude of (an at best) lurker. She uses Happycat as part of the graphic for her Godzilla fuzz and asked someone the stairs question.

Devi also bans herself from HCFX a few times a year so right there is enough proof. :colbert:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sha2dt9iQy0

About 1:50 in. Any suggestions?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thoogsby posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sha2dt9iQy0

About 1:50 in. Any suggestions?

Sounds like pretty standard overdrive, only pulled back some, not balls to the wall. Maybe a booster?

Good call on The Brew though, those guys are pretty cool. The best thing about jam-bands like them is that they'll usually discuss gear pretty openly and love to show off their setups. I'd send the guitarist a message on Myspace or something like that.

Mike Gordon, for instance, puts up diagrams on his website of his bass setup:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

3toes posted:

Sounds like pretty standard overdrive, only pulled back some, not balls to the wall. Maybe a booster?

Good call on The Brew though, those guys are pretty cool. The best thing about jam-bands like them is that they'll usually discuss gear pretty openly and love to show off their setups. I'd send the guitarist a message on Myspace or something like that.

I'm amazed that people are actually recognizing The Brew now. I went to school with them. I remember watching them play in my high school gym when they were really young. It's really cool to see the band from your tiny high school get recognition. They're playing moe.down this summer which should be loving awesome. I think they're really a diamond in the rough and I'm not saying that because we're from the same tiny 13 square mile town.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thoogsby posted:

I'm amazed that people are actually recognizing The Brew now. I went to school with them. I remember watching them play in my high school gym when they were really young. It's really cool to see the band from your tiny high school get recognition. They're playing moe.down this summer which should be loving awesome. I think they're really a diamond in the rough and I'm not saying that because we're from the same tiny 13 square mile town.

They get played on Sirius channel 17 "Jam-ON" a fair bit.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
This is going to be a long shot, but do you guys remember when the Wasabi overdrive pedal was only 20 bucks? That was awesome. I didn't pick one up because I thought I didn't need one at the moment. Ebay has two for $40+, they must have been amazing pedals because there are NO used ones being sold. Kicking myself here...

Either way, I'm looking for a good overdrive pedal because while my Boss MD-2 is face meltingly awesome I'm looking for a nice blues crunch. If any of you don't use their Wasabi OD anymore I'd gladly take it off your hands for what you paid Musician's friend + shipping.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

gotly posted:

This is going to be a long shot, but do you guys remember when the Wasabi overdrive pedal was only 20 bucks? That was awesome. I didn't pick one up because I thought I didn't need one at the moment. Ebay has two for $40+, they must have been amazing pedals because there are NO used ones being sold. Kicking myself here...

Either way, I'm looking for a good overdrive pedal because while my Boss MD-2 is face meltingly awesome I'm looking for a nice blues crunch. If any of you don't use their Wasabi OD anymore I'd gladly take it off your hands for what you paid Musician's friend + shipping.

Sorry that I can't give you anything more than words, but the Wasabi OD really is amazing. I have two, one from each $20 deal round, and I don't plan on parting with either of them. They're just too handy, it's one OD for anything you need including clean boosting.

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker
The only pedal I have right now is a Wasabi OD and I love it.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Agreed posted:

Sorry that I can't give you anything more than words, but the Wasabi OD really is amazing. I have two, one from each $20 deal round, and I don't plan on parting with either of them. They're just too handy, it's one OD for anything you need including clean boosting.

:cry:
Well they're sure to drop down to $20 on MF any day now, right? :(

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
Well today I went into the instrument store looking for a guitar stand, and was wondering on pedals while he was looking for a stand. I looked upon the Rocktron Rampage, played it for half an hour, and bought it. I play through a Line 6 Flextone III amp, and found running this through the JC-120 model with reverb and a tad of delay makes my last tone (dual rect full gain) sound like a crappy job.

Now I've become a fan for pedals, and am considering buying a reverb, delay, and EQ (so I could sell this amp, buy a Tech 21 Power Engine, and live off that). What would you buy if your budget were $250?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Ive been trying to use my effects loop on my amp for my delays, and was wondering if you guys had any experience using them. I normally run everything in front of my amp (MESA F-30) set up like:

guitar>wah>pitchblack>english muffn>looper(DD-6)>RE-20>LPB-1>amp

I removed the delays and stuck em in my effects loop. I wasn't that impressed with the sound using my RE-20 through the effects loop (the repeats die off way too fast), but it has its own input level preamp and whatnot, so I am wondering if this would effect the signal through the effects loop. Also was running a DD-6, and I don't remember how that one sounded. What is the logic behind this sort of setup anyways?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Agreed, you know all about this modeling/Line 6 poo poo don't you? What can you tell me about the Toneport? I want something to gently caress around with to easily record riffs and explore some new sounds on my bass.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

3toes posted:

Agreed, you know all about this modeling/Line 6 poo poo don't you? What can you tell me about the Toneport? I want something to gently caress around with to easily record riffs and explore some new sounds on my bass.

Toneport BAD!

Well, not really, but it doesn't stack up to the other modelers. The other guitarist from my old band has been utterly put off on his Toneport after getting to check out my modeling setup. However, if you're just looking for a jam tool, you could probably do a lot worse, at lease.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Agreed posted:

Toneport BAD!

Well, not really, but it doesn't stack up to the other modelers. The other guitarist from my old band has been utterly put off on his Toneport after getting to check out my modeling setup. However, if you're just looking for a jam tool, you could probably do a lot worse, at lease.

Well here's the thing. I just want something I can hook up to my computer to record riffs with.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

If you're not asking much out of it, there's a good chance you won't be disappointed. And, honestly, some people get along just fine with it as their main tone engine, maybe you'd end up being one of them. But it's a fine, low-latency DI interface, if nothing else, and has the amp modeling and effects you need to make a good rough-draft recording.

Plus, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than Guitar Rig 3, at $500, or IK Multimedia StompIO (with its Amplitube series) for $1100.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Agreed posted:

If you're not asking much out of it, there's a good chance you won't be disappointed. And, honestly, some people get along just fine with it as their main tone engine, maybe you'd end up being one of them. But it's a fine, low-latency DI interface, if nothing else, and has the amp modeling and effects you need to make a good rough-draft recording.

Plus, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than Guitar Rig 3, at $500, or IK Multimedia StompIO (with its Amplitube series) for $1100.

Considering how I usually record riffs (hanging my headset mic onto my cab)... I think I'll get along just fine with it :)

I just wanted to make sure the drat thing worked and wasn't just a piece of poo poo given its low price.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

3toes posted:

Considering how I usually record riffs (hanging my headset mic onto my cab)... I think I'll get along just fine with it :)

I just wanted to make sure the drat thing worked and wasn't just a piece of poo poo given its low price.

Oh, no, it definitely works, and works really well. If you want to move up to a serious modeler later, you can still use that interface and it'll be low latency and sound good (unless Line6 has artificially prevented it from being used in that capacity, which would be really hosed up and I have no reason to suspect that they would have done so).

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Agreed posted:

Oh, no, it definitely works, and works really well. If you want to move up to a serious modeler later, you can still use that interface and it'll be low latency and sound good (unless Line6 has artificially prevented it from being used in that capacity, which would be really hosed up and I have no reason to suspect that they would have done so).

Eh, I've thought about maybe dropping a little more cash and getting a pod but honestly it'd never leave my room since I gig with pretty ballin' gear :hehe:

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

3toes posted:

Eh, I've thought about maybe dropping a little more cash and getting a pod but honestly it'd never leave my room since I gig with pretty ballin' gear :hehe:

dude is that wrench vintage

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

dancehall posted:

The metal they made them out of harmonically reinforces the sound, creating a cleaner and clearer tone.

They're also really good when you want to bash the everloving crap out of your amp because it broke for the 5th time that week.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

dancehall posted:

1974 Craftsman Vibrowrench series.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Just posting to show off pictures of the true bypass looper that I just finished. hosed up by the power jack a little bit, but it works just fine. It's for my guitar teacher, who's got a bunch of pedals that he loves but sap his tone. Hopefully this'll let him get that "straight into the amp" sound when he's not using them. Plus it kind of looks like a 1940's robot head, which is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Agreed posted:

The reason its low latency is to do with using gearbox as your modelling. So no, it wont be as low latency with anything else and its not because of some artifical prevention.

Also 3toes make sure you budget for the bass expansion pack for the toneport and make sure you dont mind tweaking your sound to get it right.

PS Agreed, is there any reason you hate line6 stuff so much? I dont really get it :smith:

Stux fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 18, 2008