Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook
I post on the PIX boards. It's a circlejerk, but it's a circlejerk I've grown accustomed to over the past couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
The Queers are headlining the Asian Man Records Tour! I'm going to see them at the Casbah on monday, I can't freaking wait!

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Triangulum posted:

The Queers are headlining the Asian Man Records Tour! I'm going to see them at the Casbah on monday, I can't freaking wait!

That tour is going to be pretty nuts. Bomb The Music Industry!, the Queers, Lemuria, Andrew Jackson Jihad? For 12 bucks? Yes please.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Mike_V posted:

That tour is going to be pretty nuts. Bomb The Music Industry!, the Queers, Lemuria, Andrew Jackson Jihad? For 12 bucks? Yes please.

Wow what a great lineup to TOTALLY IGNORE FLORIDA :(

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah I'm pretty psyched. I've wanted to see The Queers since I was 12.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

Triangulum posted:

Lucky. :( I hate Wisconsin.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

A Boring Story posted:

The Lawrence Arms are my favorite band too. I even took my name from one of their song titles. If you're into them, you should definitely check out Jawbreaker, if you haven't already.

Edit: Also Sundowner. It's Chris' acoustic side project and it's pretty awesome.

I'm a big Jawbreaker fan as well. Kiss The Bottle is one of my favourite songs of all time. I have a few The Falcon mp3's lying around on my computer, and they all seem pretty tight. Nowhere near as ground breaking as the last Lawrence Arms record, but still pretty neat. I'll probably purchase the album this week. I'm checking out both your recommendations and Angiepants'. I'll post my impressions here. I'm into old Alkaline Trio as well, but their new stuff is incredibly "look how dark our subject matter is, isn't this shocking!", so it annoys me a bit.

Rad The Descendents avatar, too.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Ceremony trip report: loving insane

also: dillinger who the hell are you it's annoying knowing you're at every show I go to but not knowing who you are :colbert:

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 5, 2008

Steve Beans
Jan 3, 2004

Mike_V posted:

I saw this tour in Chicago and it was fantastic. Since the Ben Weasel show was the next day at the same venue, we got the added bonus of Weasel coming out and singing on a Queers song. I don't even like the Queers' records that much, but they were a lot of fun live.

Plus, BtMI! (for the 5th time) and Andrew Jackson Jihad. Amazing. I bought Andrew Jackson Jihad's newest, Only God Can Judge Me, and while it's not impressing me as much as People Who Can Eat People..., mostly because of an overall slower tempo and less interesting lyrics on some songs (Growing Up, in particular), it's still pretty good.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

orangeaid posted:

I was at both of these. Static age, right? Ceremony and Sabertooth Zombie were loving amazing, one of the most fun shows I've ever been to, especially because Graves brought in such a weird crowd.

Yeah that was the one. Maybe I saw you, what were you wearing? I was the skinny pale white dude in a green Down To Nothing shirt and a white detroit hat near the side of the stage most of the time. Ceremony was loving mind blowing. Easily one of the best shows I've been to. STZ was ridiculously good too, even though they didn't play Get Bent, Giant or Shoes. :mad:

How was Graves? The people I rode with were pussies and wanted to leave right after Ceremony so I loving missed it. I've never liked The Misfits but it would've been a sweet thing to say I've seen.

A Boring Story
Mar 27, 2008

We're not going to Catalina, are we?
I saw the Asian Man tour last Friday in Salt Lake and it was one hell of a good time. BTMI stole the show for me, but all the bands were awesome. It was great to finally see Lemuria after playing the hell out of Get Better for the last few months.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

nice marmot posted:

I saw this tour in Chicago and it was fantastic. Since the Ben Weasel show was the next day at the same venue, we got the added bonus of Weasel coming out and singing on a Queers song. I don't even like the Queers' records that much, but they were a lot of fun live.

Plus, BtMI! (for the 5th time) and Andrew Jackson Jihad. Amazing. I bought Andrew Jackson Jihad's newest, Only God Can Judge Me, and while it's not impressing me as much as People Who Can Eat People..., mostly because of an overall slower tempo and less interesting lyrics on some songs (Growing Up, in particular), it's still pretty good.

Holy poo poo, that sounds epic. Curse not having a car. :argh:

Only God Can Judge Me grew on me pretty fast. Especially Human Kittens. It's, um, interesting, even by AJJ standards.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

nice marmot posted:

drat you to hell for getting to see Ben Weasel, he's pretty much my hero. I really miss his "Ben Weasel vs. The World" column in MRR. His book is pretty good too, I love his writing style.

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!

Triangulum posted:

So how easy would it be for a 20 year old (who looks about 16) to get into the Casbah? :sigh:

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

Murphy's Law is playing in my town tomorrow night. Are they worth seeing for $12 if I've never listened to them besides single tracks and I don't care for any of the local bands opening?

punxnbutter
May 22, 2007

Nonsense is better than no sense at all

WashinMyGoat posted:

Murphy's Law is playing in my town tomorrow night. Are they worth seeing for $12 if I've never listened to them besides single tracks and I don't care for any of the local bands opening?

They're alright....fun band live and they'll bring old punks out.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Charleston Jew posted:

So how easy would it be for a 20 year old (who looks about 16) to get into the Casbah? :sigh:

Honestly, I don't know. I've never been before as I only turned 21 somewhat recently. My friend is probably going to try getting in with a fakie, but we've got the same problem as you: we both look about 16.

Any interest in meeting up at the show? My friends may not make it :saddowns:

In other news, this month's issue of MRR is pretty good. There was a funny column about Ron Paul being the antichrist or the Kwisatch Haderach or something. I haven't read MRR since junior high and I'm pleasently suprised to see that a lot of my favorite columnists still work there (George Tabb, never stop writing Take My Life Please!)

E: I like Murphys Law, I would definitly go for $12.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Charleston Jew posted:

Pretty sure you're not gonna get in :( I couldn't ever sneak in, nor could my bearded friends. Try it, though, you never know!

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Good show last night. Newish young band "Sleepy Creepers" sounds between rudimentary peni and the crucifucks. Being psyched for an opening band is awesome. Next was Ultratrumbados who were the most technically proficient band I've seen in a while (and good, to boot).. then Daylight Robbery and Condominium. Not so hot on condominium vocals but they sound good.

Today is Red Dons!

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
New Street Dogs is really disappointing. I think only FateoMcSkippy cares, though.

I checked out AJJ's most recent release and while it's slower, I like it nonetheless.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Not an Anthem posted:

Good show last night. Newish young band "Sleepy Creepers" sounds between rudimentary peni and the crucifucks. Being psyched for an opening band is awesome. Next was Ultratrumbados who were the most technically proficient band I've seen in a while (and good, to boot).. then Daylight Robbery and Condominium. Not so hot on condominium vocals but they sound good.

Today is Red Dons!

http://www.myspace.com/sleepingcreepers
I just looked em up, and these guys are loving awesome. Thanks for the recommendation.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Wizard Mannequin posted:

I just looked em up, and these guys are loving awesome. Thanks for the recommendation.

They have a CD demo and they're recording a 7" probably on SouthKore records.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

So, I am planning on doing an emo show on my college's radio station, and I might need some help from everyone here for suggestions. I know what emo is, but I'm not that well versed in it as I could be.

I want to go into most aspects of the genre, but I don't know how I feel about bands like Palatka and Orchid, which ironically seems to be the stuff this thread is into. I mean, I like them, but don't know how well they would fit in with the rest of the music.

A list of bands I have in a giant playlist is: Rites of Spring, Nation of Ulysses, Embrace, Fugazi, Chamberlain, Rainer Maria, Texas is the Reason, Sunny Day Real Estate, Bright Calm Blue, Gray Matter, American Football, Cap'n Jazz, City of Caterpillar, Elliot, Evergreen, Falling Forward, Four Hundred Years, Garrison, Get up Kids, Jets to Brazil, Hot Water Music, Kerosene 545, Million dead, Mineral, Moss Icon, The Promise Ring, Form of Rocket, Sounds Like Violence, 1.6 Band, Christie Front Drive, Still Life, and maybe At the Drive-In/Sparta, Jawbreaker, and early Jimmy Eat World.

For more hardcore stuff, I have Orchid, Pg 99, Portraits of Past, Palatka, Antioch Arrow, Angel Hair, and End of the Century Party. I just don't know if this will meld well with the rest of the show. What do you think? And do some of my bands in the other list just suck/don't belong?

What I have isn't enough to get me a good weekly two hour show, though. Help steer me in the right direction.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
The answer to the question "should I play Orchid on my radio show?" is always YES! Checkout 1905, they're more on the hardcore/screamo side have really sweet melodic parts. Don't leave Circle Takes the Square out, either. Sneak in some Zegota when no one's paying attention.

I ordered the Witch Hunt/To What End? split this week and am eagerly awaiting it. Tragedy tonight at Gilman and maybe Ampere/Baader Brains/Punch on Sunday, we'll see.

Oh and I scored Nausea - Extinction 12" for $1.09, what a fine day that was!

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!
Check out some of the European emo bands like La Quiete, Raein, Louise Cyphre, etc. They fall more into the hardcore side of things, but aren't quite as chaotic as Orchid or Pg. 99, so I think it should fit OK.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Orchid are overrated, imo. Play some Funeral Diner and June Paik.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
It looks like Me First And the Gimme Gimmes are playing House of Blues San Diego on 08/08 for $12.50. I'm not sure if I'm going because money's tight and I'm not that psyched about it, but if I have the money why not.

At Soma in the next few months are:
Rancid, H2O, and Danny Diablo on September 19th
Shai Hulud, Full Blown Chaos, Woe of Tyrants on August 8th
Mad Caddies, The Skank Agents, Evil Petting Zoo, Plus Guest (???) on June 24th (I think this one looks fun, I love the Skank Agents)

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
Because i'm poor as poo poo, another rideshare request. Anyone from orange county or surrounding areas going to the Queers/Lemuria/AJJ/BTMI! show tomorrow night at Safari Sam's want to split gas? I'd be happy to drive.

EvilRobot
Sep 27, 2001

Punks Is Hippies

Wizard Mannequin posted:

"Struggle" definitely seals the deal here. More of this and I'll buy anything they put out and take the bus to go see them.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Sleeping Creepers started out as a solo project by the drummer, which is awesome, because he really shines with the doc dart esque vocals although the myspace stuff doesn't do it justice.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

acup posted:

Orchid are overrated, imo. Play some Funeral Diner and June Paik.

Funeral Diner is boring. Listen to some Orchid instead. (June Paik are pretty alright though)

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Hydrac7 posted:

Funeral Diner is boring. Listen to some Orchid instead. (June Paik are pretty alright though)

No offense Albert, but I can't take your opinion seriously because you listen to techno.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

acup posted:

No offense Albert, but I can't take your opinion seriously because you listen to techno.

I don't listen to techno.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Hydrac7 posted:

I don't listen to techno.

I'm sorry, I meant "French Electro"

albear
Jun 7, 2001

acup posted:

I'm sorry, I meant "French Electro"

I don't know what you're talking about bro, my last.fm charts are being topped by Heaven in Her Arms and Louise Cyphre.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

acup posted:

No offense Albert, but I can't take your opinion seriously because you listen to Radiohead.

Seriously, play some Funeral Diner.

don't worry bro, I like Radiohead too :ssh:

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Parachute Underwear posted:

Seriously, play some Funeral Diner.

don't worry bro, I like Radiohead too

Next time I want to take a nap, I will listen to Funeral Diner. I promise, dudes.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Hydrac7 posted:

Next time I want to take a nap, I will listen to Funeral Diner. I promise, dudes.

I like my emo brooding, tyvm

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Parachute Underwear posted:

I like my emo brooding, tyvm

When I want to jam out, and here I'm talking about really really jamming out, I listen to Stars of the Lid. It's just how I do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Hydrac7 posted:

I don't know what you're talking about bro, my last.fm charts are being topped by Heaven in Her Arms and Louise Cyphre.

Deny it all you want, you still post it on other sites.