Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Cacator posted:

Recommendations needed for DeepDiscount/DVD Planet sale:

I'd like to add another Bunuel to my collection, should it be The Milky Way or That Obscure Object of Desire? For the record I already own Discreet Charm and Phantom of Liberty and I've seen Viridiana, L'Age d'or, Un Chien Andalou and Exterminating Angel (my favourite).

And is Army of Shadows as good as everyone says it is? I own the first three Melvilles in the collection.

Have you seen Bunuel's Diary of a Chambermaid yet? It's one of my favorites.

If you own the rest of Melville's stuff I can't see why you wouldn't like Army of Shadows. It's a bit darker than his usual and has one of the coolest dvd covers in the collection in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Cacator posted:

And is Army of Shadows as good as everyone says it is? I own the first three Melvilles in the collection.

Short answer: yes. I own all the Melvilles and am enamored with it. I definitely think its one of the strongest dvds in my collection: awesome transfer, great extras, good packaging, etc...

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Yeah. I feel like I should be branching out in what I watch but I can't help but return to old favourites.

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich

Cacator posted:

Recommendations needed for DeepDiscount/DVD Planet sale:

Does anyone have the William Klein eclipse set? It sounds obscure (even by Criterion standards) and bizarre enough to be very interesting.

I bought it on Monday, and I love it. You're right, it's really obscure stuff, but so much so it's entertaining. If you can get past some of his heavy handed criticisms, its a great buy.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Pictures of the packaging for The Furies:

Hahah, I didn't expect the novel to have the Criterion spine on it for some reason. Looks pretty classy.

And this one, essay booklet looks nice:

Jack Does Jihad fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 7, 2008

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Pictures of the packaging for The Furies:

Hahah, I didn't expect the novel to have the Criterion spine on it for some reason. Looks pretty classy.

And this one, essay booklet looks nice:

Wow, that looks incredible.

I really hope their packaging doesnt drop in quality with the switch to blu-ray.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Pictures of the packaging for The Furies

I don't think I'm legally allowed to use the 'swoon' emoticon two pages in a row, so I'll just say that this looks great, and I can't wait.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's always great when a Criterion comes with the novel. Short Cuts has a book with all the Carver short stories the movie contains. It's interesting to see how they translated and hooked together (and makes the film that much more interesting).

WaitsUp posted:

Wow, that looks incredible.

I really hope their packaging doesnt drop in quality with the switch to blu-ray.

I doubt it. Hopefully, if anything, they'll help get everyone else to stop it with the awful Blu-Ray packaging.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's always great when a Criterion comes with the novel. Short Cuts has a book with all the Carver short stories the movie contains. It's interesting to see how they translated and hooked together (and makes the film that much more interesting).

I doubt it. Hopefully, if anything, they'll help get everyone else to stop it with the awful Blu-Ray packaging.

The Man Who Fell to Earth also comes with the book it's based on, which incidentally is one of their Blu-ray releases.

Exree
Oct 7, 2000

Cacator posted:

Does anyone have the William Klein eclipse set? It sounds obscure (even by Criterion standards) and bizarre enough to be very interesting.

I was considering this set but then caught Who Are You Polly Magoo? on Sundance Channel by chance and wasn't really able to stay with it. Very entertaining for about 45 minutes, and then the back half of it went completely off the deep end. Not my bag, but then again neither was Discreet Charm, so perhaps you should rent one or two of the discs before going with a purchase.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Got quite the boner. Looks a little more sepia-ish than the original picture of the cover on Criterion's site though.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Criterion is going to hit paydirt with the goth crowd.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Og Oggilby posted:

Criterion is going to hit paydirt with the goth crowd.

Yeah, it kind of panders to that kind of crowd, but it's a much more interesting cover than Kino's or MoC's.

The booklet looks to be pretty cool, containing the screenplay and the short story that inspired the film.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

New features added to Salo:

- Fade to Black, a 23-minute documentary featuring directors Bernardo Bertolucci, Catherine Breillat, and John Maybury, as well as scholar David Forgacs
- The End of "Salò", a 40-minute documentary about the film’s production

Also, a Catherine Breillat essay has been added to the booklet.

No sign of the September titles yet. It looks they've moved away from their old policy of doing new announcements on the 15th of every month.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Here comes the Ophuls...

#443 - LA RONDE

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer
- Audio commentary featuring film scholar Susan White, author of The Cinema of Max Ophuls
- An interview with Academy Award–winning filmmaker Marcel Ophuls, discussing his father’s work
- Interview with actor Daniel Gélin (Napoléon, Testament of Orpheus)
- Interview with film scholar Alan Williams
- Selected correspondence between Sir Laurence Olivier and Heinrich Schnitzler (the playwright's son), illustrating the controversy surrounding the source play
- New and improved subtitle translation
- PLUS: A new essay by film critic Terrence Rafferty

#444 - LE PLAISIR

- Introduction by filmmaker Todd Haynes
- English- and German-language versions of the opening narration
- From Script to Screen, a video essay featuring film scholar Jean-Pierre Berthomé discussing the evolution of Ophuls’s screenplay for Le plaisir
- Interviews with actor Daniel Gélin, assistant director Tony Aboyantz, and set decorator Robert Christidès
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A new essay by film critic Robin Wood

#445 - THE EARRINGS OF MADAME DE...

- Audio commentary featuring film scholars Susan White and Gaylyn Studlar
- Interviews with Ophuls collaborators Alain Jessua, Mar Frédérix, and Annette Wademant
- A visual analysis of The Earrings of Madame de . . . by film scholar Tag Gallagher
- Interview with novelist Louise de Vilmorin on Ophuls's adaptation of her story
- PLUS: A new essay by Molly Haskell, Louise de Vilmorin's novella Madame de, upon which the film is based, and a reprinted essay by costume designer and longtime Ophuls collaborator Georges Annenkov

#446 - AN AUTUMN AFTERNOON

(no cover art yet)

- New audio commentary featuring David Bordwell, author of Ozu and the Poetics of Cinema
- Excerpts from "Yasujiro Ozu and the Taste of Sake," a 1978 French television program looking back on Ozu's career, featuring film critic Michel Ciment
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by film scholars Geoff Andrew and Donald Richie

And now for the utterly awesome (to me, anyway):

ECLIPSE SERIES 12: AKI KAURISMAKI'S PROLETARIAT TRILOGY

I'm glad that two of the Ophuls are new to me. AAA is a middling Ozu, but I may rent it to check out the extras. Match Factory Girl is my favorite Kaurismaki, and the other two are good also. I wish they were getting the full Criterion treatment, but it's about drat time we had some more Kaurisamki in region 1.

The color scheme on the Kaurismaki box is hideous, though.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 17, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

Here comes the Ophuls...

That cover art is beautiful, but I have to admit I'm a little disappointed by the fact that it doesn't look like this will be a box set, and there's no Letter from an Unknown Woman, Liebelei or Lola Montes, I didn't expect all three but at least one of them. While all three are enjoyable I don't see myself buying them individually, especially at the $40 price point, and I was looking forward to them too.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Argh, I've just bought those exact Kaurismaki titles (also together in a box) in R2 (UK). Have you actually seen those import DVDs FFD, or have you seen them by other means?

The only Kaurismaki film I've seen so far is Lights in the Dusk (which I loved) and I'm wanting to check out more. I've also bought the R2 The Man Without a Past, they were all cheap from Amazon UK. Also from that order was Innocence, which I really liked though sadly the DVD didn't feature a very good transfer.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

That cover art is beautiful, but I have to admit I'm a little disappointed by the fact that it doesn't look like this will be a box set, and there's no Letter from an Unknown Woman, Liebelei or Lola Montes, I didn't expect all three but at least one of them. While all three are enjoyable I don't see myself buying them individually, especially at the $40 price point, and I was looking forward to them too.

I was hoping for a box set as well, but really, who pays list price for Criterions, ever?

I haven't seen any of them, but I'm buying Madame de... the day it comes out. I've wanted to see it forever.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Criminal Minded posted:

I was hoping for a box set as well, but really, who pays list price for Criterions, ever?

True, but even on sale $20 is a lot for a single DVD. It's the reason I haven't bought Sawdust and Tinsel and Drunken Angel, among others. Even though DVDs in general seem to be going down in price Criterion seems to be moving towards releasing a larger percentage of films at the higher price point. I'm much more willing to impulse buy at $10 or even $15.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
That's fair enough. I've been wasting my money on Criterions for as long as I can remember though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

bmmello posted:

Argh, I've just bought those exact Kaurismaki titles (also together in a box) in R2 (UK). Have you actually seen those import DVDs FFD, or have you seen them by other means?

Other means (although Kaurismaki has made me want to take the region-free plunge)

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

The color scheme on the Kaurismaki box is hideous, though.

Yeah, it looks awful. The Small Back Room cover looks really lovely too. That font makes it look like a 5 dollar dvd or something.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Criterion is also starting a "budget" line of their DVDs:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/sd-dvd-film-documentary/273471-criterion-press-release-september-2008-titles.html

Grand Illuion, Beauty and the Beast, Wild Strawberries, The Lord of the Flies, Rashomon, and Knife in the Water are in the first wave. They're all movie-only, with the extras left off. MSRP is $19.97 and the "Essential Art House Vol. 1" box set will have all 6 films for MSRP $99.95.

Not a bad idea considering these will street for about $14. Release date is Sept. 9.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Og Oggilby posted:

Criterion is also starting a "budget" line of their DVDs:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/sd-dvd-film-documentary/273471-criterion-press-release-september-2008-titles.html

Grand Illuion, Beauty and the Beast, Wild Strawberries, The Lord of the Flies, Rashomon, and Knife in the Water are in the first wave. They're all movie-only, with the extras left off. MSRP is $19.97 and the "Essential Art House Vol. 1" box set will have all 6 films for MSRP $99.95.

Not a bad idea considering these will street for about $14. Release date is Sept. 9.

It's a follow-up to the big Janus box they did a while ago. At first I was thinking these wouldn't sell very well, but then I realized that I've been hesitant about buying Belle et la Bete because of the price. I've already seen the supplements, so a $14 barebones edition is sounding attractive.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
That one was really obvious. I never figure them out and I immediately knew that one.

CrashMan
Mar 23, 2005

by Fragmaster
Anyone happen to know when some more Godards might be coming out? I've been hearing that Criterion's planning on releasing Vivre sa Vie and Two or Three Things I Know About Her for a long time now and it still hasn't happened. :(

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Some images of the inside of Vampyr from the Criterion forums:

It looks great, and I'm pretty psyched about this. I don't remember the black skeleton in the movie, though. Did they just add that for the packaging?

And I really wish Criterion would expand their poster selection. There are so many awesome covers and images they could choose, but the selection they have now is really, really boring.

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
Well, I know everyone's probably had their fill of spending cash on DVDs, but I stumbled across a deal thats been going on for a while (apparently) and is ending the 30th. You may be familiar with it, but it's the 'open a google checkout account and get 10$ anything over 10$ at buy.com.'

I opened a GC account a while back for one small transaction, but it looks like it'd give me the discount no problem if I just used my other(junk mail) account. More importantly, I figured I might pick up one last Criterion or some such, as there are some that can be had considerably cheaper than I've seen elsewhere(which is odd, as most of them ship from Deep Discount). From a brief glance through, I may end up grabbing the Complete Mr. Arkadin for 15.90 and free shipping, after the 10$ off.

Would this be a recommended blind buy? Alternatively, I may grab Band of Outsiders or Breathless instead...

Villainous_Fonda
Nov 26, 2007
That ain't Lake Minnetonka
<b>Mishima</b> is out, and my life is complete!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Villainous_Fonda posted:

<b>Mishima</b> is out, and my life is complete!

Mine just arrived today. The cover is not as bad as it looks in photos, but it's still pretty ugly.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

ThetaOmnikron posted:

I may end up grabbing the Complete Mr. Arkadin for 15.90 and free shipping, after the 10$ off.

Would this be a recommended blind buy? Alternatively, I may grab Band of Outsiders or Breathless instead...

It's a pretty choppy mash-up of Citizen Kane and The Third Man. That's a pretty awesome price, though, but unless you really like Orson Welles you might get more joy out of something else.

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
I'm sure people are tired of my deal posts, but most all Criterion are buy 1 get 1 free over at Deep Discount.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/DVD---HBO-Comedy-Sale_stcVVcatId476505VVviewcat.htm

Doing some quick math, you'd be hard pressed to find any of these cheaper elsewhere.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

That's the best deal post I've seen on Criterions. It's going to be really hard to restrain myself from buying a bunch of the titles I've been hesitant to buy.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Oof, I just bought a bunch too. But there's another dozen or so I might have to buy at that price.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

ThetaOmnikron posted:

I'm sure people are tired of my deal posts, but most all Criterion are buy 1 get 1 free over at Deep Discount.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/DVD---HBO-Comedy-Sale_stcVVcatId476505VVviewcat.htm

Doing some quick math, you'd be hard pressed to find any of these cheaper elsewhere.

Holy poo poo I love you. I've been torn between seven or eight Criterion DVDs but now I can buy all, or almost all of them, guilt free.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
I really hope Vampyr will be added on the 22nd since this goes until the 29th. My eyes are set on that and Mr. Arkadin.

Going to pass on the Tati films (especially Playtime) and Spartacus since they're too likely to be BluRays by next year.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, I just bought a bunch of poo poo I didn't really need. "I've always wanted to read the essay about Bernard Herrmann that DePalma wrote for Sisters.."

I'm really glad they're having this sale, though. I got to buy 3 I've been meaning to pick up, with 3 others that I mildly considered buying. Yesss.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I just bought:

8 1/2
All That Heaven Allows
Band of Outsiders
The Cranes Are Flying
Early Summer
Ivan's Childhood
Late Spring
Mouchette
Naked
Spirit of the Beehive
That Obscure Object of Desire
Diary of a Chambermaid

And there were at least 6 more I had to resist. I almost got Mon Oncle/M. Hulot's Holiday, but decided to pass for the same reasons as Og.

Total price: $194.31. Thank heaven for credit cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Og Oggilby posted:

I really hope Vampyr will be added on the 22nd since this goes until the 29th. My eyes are set on that and Mr. Arkadin.

I'm hoping for "High and Low" to be added as well. I'll get that, and I think I'll finally pick up "Ikiru". I've been meaning to get that one for a while and just haven't.