Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

missed_again
Nov 8, 2005

missed_again posted:

Anyone have an opinion on buying a used 2003 Z4 roadster? How's the maintenance on them? Things to watch out for? I'm a young guy, so buying a "reasonable" car isn't exactly a necessity, but i'd rather not buy a car that's gonna rape my wallet every time i take it in for oil changes/basic maintenance.

Just gonna reiterate this, as i think my post got lost between the gorgeous pictures. 03/04 Z4, any thoughts on it? Things to watch out for?

It's just that apparently they depreciate like mad, and at this point they're a lot of car for the buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarmWaffles
Aug 28, 2007
Warm Waffle Goodness

ChainsawJesus posted:

Maybe if you specified the model

It is a 1972 BMW 2002

I posted the image earlier but here is the link to it

https://wi.somethingawful.com/a9/a9dc2e136269ee45706c6b78195be1dfc62de99c.jpg

I'm asking 2 grand for it

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wanted to jump in and finally post about my E30.

1989 325iS, almost 158k miles. I've had it five years. Sports seats, with the driver's quite possibly from an M3 (otherwise it and the rear bench have the M-tech seat badge), and the rest of the nice interior stuff (including the M-Technic II wheel and fun trip computer :haw: ).

I've got the Eibach sports springs on it with new yellow Bilsteins. Stock LSD back there too. The wheels are nice knockoffs of E30-era Hartge ones, and I really love the look. lovely tires need to be replaced soon.

Drives like a dream, the cornering roll is gone because of the stiffer springs. I want to do a bunch of stuff to it, but as I'm considering going overseas for a year or two to teach English in Japan, nothing's really going to happen right now. If I go, the car's going to stay with my parents, and join my dad's E39 528i as the house BMWs.

Every car my family has is German, and it's been that way for about eight years :D

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Pissingintowind posted:

Another humble request for you OBDII E36 coupe goons:

Central lock your car from the trunk (all the way clockwise).
Central unlock your car from either the passenger or the drivers door.
Is the trunk able to be opened by just pushing the key insert down and lifting?

I believe the answer should be no if you lock the trunk ALL the way to the right, but yes if you do it only to the center position.

Thanks!

What an odd question...

The trunk can be opened whenever you unlock all the door no matter what. The trunk is the only keyhole that doesn't central unlock. The trunk is also the only keyhole that central locks while it is open (the only possible way to lock your keys in your car is in the trunk).

Also a fun fact, if you lock your doors from the outside it is impossible for them to be unlocked from the inside. Even if someone is inside trying to open the door. Good trick to play on friends.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

huh, that's kinda different. E30s have everything on central lock, including the trunk...and also the gas cap :downs: that can be a rodeo if the battery has gone completely dead and you've lost the power locking assist.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

harperdc posted:

That's a great looking E30. Nice job!

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

ynotony posted:

What an odd question...

The trunk can be opened whenever you unlock all the door no matter what. The trunk is the only keyhole that doesn't central unlock. The trunk is also the only keyhole that central locks while it is open (the only possible way to lock your keys in your car is in the trunk).

Also a fun fact, if you lock your doors from the outside it is impossible for them to be unlocked from the inside. Even if someone is inside trying to open the door. Good trick to play on friends.

Did you actually try it? When you "double" lock the trunk by turning the key all the way clockwise, the actual cylinder would have to rotate to unlock it again. I don't think it is supposed to.

Every other door or trunk lock position doesn't allow you to remove your key unless the lock cylinder is in its standard position.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Pissingintowind posted:

Did you actually try it? When you "double" lock the trunk by turning the key all the way clockwise, the actual cylinder would have to rotate to unlock it again. I don't think it is supposed to.

Every other door or trunk lock position doesn't allow you to remove your key unless the lock cylinder is in its standard position.

Oh I guess I didn't understand your question. You want me to lock my car, then go to the trunk and lock it doubly? Either way the key as to be vertical to pull it out doesn't it? I'll try it in the morning, too lazy now.

Switching topics: (1994 325i, 110k)

After a complete flush and fill up in November, the check coolant message is back. I've been slowly dripping and every month or so a 6oz puddle forms over night. The leak, as far as I can tell, is not from the thermostat, radiator, pump, or reservoir. I can see where it trickles down my engine but not where it's coming from. I'm guessing it is a very hidden gasket/seal somewhere. Should I just forfeit to the shop? And given that parts are pretty cheap, should I consider having them replace all my hoses and stuff for piece of mind or is that some kind of nightmare procedure?

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
Is it possible to get these rims for an E30 convertible?
Or are they 5-nut only?

Where would I buy them and what would they cost?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

ynotony posted:

Oh I guess I didn't understand your question. You want me to lock my car, then go to the trunk and lock it doubly? Either way the key as to be vertical to pull it out doesn't it? I'll try it in the morning, too lazy now.

Haha, you know what... Since I'm probably an imbecile at explaining this, I'll take a video and throw it on youtube when I get home.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Willander posted:

Or are they 5-nut only?

I've only ever seen them in 5 lug.

You can always do a 5 lug swap!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Any Seattle goons going to the E30 Picnic at the XXX on Sunday? Biggest E30-only show in the US!

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
After having driven my new 135 for about a week and 300 miles, I still get this giant poo poo-eating grin on my face every time I fire my baby up.

This is certainly the fastest car I've personally owned. The torque is incredibly smooth and the range is astounding; there is virtually no turbo-lag whatsoever and although the 135 doesn't have the neck-snapping torque of other similar vehicles, it picks up speed at a very consistent rate until you realize you're already at triple-digit speeds. It's an extremely civilized ride (though the run flats and sport suspension definitely makes you feel small potholes and cracks on the road) and the car handles superbly. The clutch is much shorter and a touch lighter compared to my buddy's '00 Civic EX.

I got my 135 with only the Sport Package option in Jet Black. The Sport Package adds the M steering wheel, M short throw, 18" wheels, and the oh-so-comfortable sport seats. The car came in at 38k before fees and taxes and I think this is an amazing deal for the award-winning N54 engine. Adding options skyrockets the price and before you know it, you'll be in the 50k range- Definitely not as hot a deal in my opinion.

If anyone is in the market for a 2-door, sporty car, or BMW, definitely check this car out. It's lightning quick, nimble, and definitely a head-turner (I've gotten many thumbs up while driving). Add some after-market piggyback tuners or even a Dinan tune, and you're looking at 12-13 second quarter miles.

I love this car.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Anyone have any experience with the new M3 Sedan? I'm looking at getting one as a daily driver. I won't be taking it on a track or doing any modding to it or anything.

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!
If you're planning on using it as a daily driver I hope you have a billion dollars to fuel it with.

My dad has a UK Coupe version. It likes to drink High Octane (98 RON) fuel. And oh god does it drink.

City driving (with the M button off) will net you around 20 UK MPG (around 24 US MPG)

Long distance cruising at 70 MPH will get you around 30 UK MPG (36 US MPG)

With the M Button on and driving kinda hard you're looking at 8-12 UK MPG (9.6 to 14 US MPG)

I don't know whether the US spec M3 requires as-high-Octane as the UK Spec, though, so it may be different in the US.

The Coupe is a comfortable car to be in, both as a driver and a passenger. The ride is a little firm due to the low profile tyres, but nothing you'd notice.

The only downside is fuel cost, as far as I can see.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

Anyone have any experience with the new M3 Sedan? I'm looking at getting one as a daily driver. I won't be taking it on a track or doing any modding to it or anything.

Have you checked out the Bimmerfest M3 forum? Lots of good info there if you haven't. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112

Edit- And you have to mod it! It's an M3! :)

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Daveh posted:

City driving (with the M button off) will net you around 20 UK MPG (around 24 US MPG)
Long distance cruising at 70 MPH will get you around 30 UK MPG (36 US MPG)
With the M Button on and driving kinda hard you're looking at 8-12 UK MPG (9.6 to 14 US MPG)
I don't know whether the US spec M3 requires as-high-Octane as the UK Spec, though, so it may be different in the US.

You've got the conversion backwards. US gallons are smaller than imperial gallons.

20 UK MPG = 16.7 US MPG
30 UK MPG = 25 US MPG
8-12 UK MPG = 6.7 - 10 US MPG

The fuel specs for the Euro and NA versions are the same 98 RON = 93 (R+M)/2

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!
Oops, sorry. Something didn't look quite right when I was posting them, but I went ahead anyway without checking! :downsbravo:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I drive a Dodge Durango right now with the 5.9L V8 so I am used to $100 or more a week to fill up.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
How come you are looking at an M3 for a daily driver? Not saying that the M3 wouldn't make a fun DD, but the new 3s are no slouch either. The 335 has a great I6 300HP turbo engine with a more civilized drive (especially if you forgo the sport suspension and run-flats) plus with the money you save, you can get more options or even a hard-top convertible.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

dangerous.hotdog posted:

How come you are looking at an M3 for a daily driver? Not saying that the M3 wouldn't make a fun DD, but the new 3s are no slouch either. The 335 has a great I6 300HP turbo engine with a more civilized drive (especially if you forgo the sport suspension and run-flats) plus with the money you save, you can get more options or even a hard-top convertible.
I'm looking at the sedan as I occasionally carry people around in the back seats so I'd like 4 doors. As for the M3 vs the 335, I don't know I just prefer the styling of the M3 over the 335. Realistically the car will just probably be driven on the weekends as I take the subway to work.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mr. Apollo posted:

As for the M3 vs the 335, I don't know I just prefer the styling of the M3 over the 335.
M3 starts at $54k; 335 starts at $39k. Are the looks worth that much more to you?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Willander posted:

Or are they 5-nut only?

There have been copies made in E30 fitment, I've seen them, but God knows where you'd get them from, or what you'd have to pay. If you can find one of the companies that makes the copies, they'd probably be able to get some blank wheels drilled to suit at extra cost.

You could look at the hub pattern adaptor-spacers made by people like H&R, although they always strike me as a bit of a bodge compared to doing a proper hub swap (but then, they cost way less).

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

kimbo305 posted:

M3 starts at $54k; 335 starts at $39k. Are the looks worth that much more to you?
I like that it has a V8 too. v:unsmith:v Also, I'm in Canada so the 335 starts at $50K and the M3 starts at $66K. :(

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

If you're used to paying a ton for fuel then I'd say go for it - I don't think you'd be disappointed.

When my dad was looking at various cars we test drove both the 335i and the M3, and whilst the 335 is a great car and very fast, it isn't as fast as the M3, it doesn't handle as well, and the seats don't hold you in place as well when you're gunning it round corners - something the M3 is impeccable at doing.

Squirrelly Wrath
Oct 1, 2005
I bought a bunch of old car magazines at a garage sale today, and found reviews of two special South African BMW models. I thought some of you might be interested, so I made some scans.

The E30 333i
"BMW South Africa's Motorsport division created the 333i in 1986 by fitting the 3.3 L M30 "big six" of the 733i to a 2-door E30. The resulting 333i was a major success in saloon car racing in that country and is now a collectors item. These cars, built with help from Alpina in Buschloe, Bavaraia ,Germany, featured some interesting compromises like forcing the buyer to choose between air conditioning (vital in South Africa) or power steering. They were only built in small numbers in 1986."

A more modern article is also available here:
http://www.germancarzone.com/older-bmws-classics/23768-limited-edition-bmw-e30-333i.html

The E23 745i
"The South African E23 745i is unique in that it is the only 7 Series model that is powered by the BMW Motorsport-designed 24-valve M88 powerplant also used in the E24 M635CSi coupe and E28 M5 sedan. This effectively makes it an "M7" in all but name. E23 745i models sold in the rest of the world use a turbocharged version of the 12-valve M30 engine instead."

"BMW has never officially stated why the German-built 745i models did not receive the M88 engine. The most likely explanation is that the M88 powerplant, developed originally for the M1 sports car, is a fairly noisy unit that develops its peak power at a relatively high engine speed. This was perhaps at odds with the role of the 7 Series as a refined luxury sedan, thus the smoother turbocharged unit was deemed more appropriate for use in 745i models sold in all other markets. In addition, it is unlikely that BMW could have produced enough M88 engines to satisfy demand, had the M motor been used in the German-built 745i."

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=4
http://www.bigarnie.co.za/cars/745i/M745i.htm

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Some fun bits from Norway:

A girl I know, with a BMW cake on her birthday. She's a total BMW nut:

Her car, a 320i 2,2:

Alo belonging to a friend of mine: A 1975 BMW 3,0CSi:
- 1986 745i (M30B35 w/turbo) engine.
- Electromotive (Tec 2) engine management
- Lowering springs, special Konis.
- Recaro seats up front.
- 18" Rial wheels w/Falken tires.

He got this as a trade-in on his 2004 M3 CSL. In addition he has a 1995 M5 touring and an E30 M3. And by the way, he's the one who ordered the cake :)

evobatman fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 9, 2008

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

evobatman posted:

Some fun bits from Norway:

A girl I know, with a BMW cake on her birthday. She's a total BMW nut:

Her car, a 320i 2,2:

- Recaro seats up front.

He got this as a trade-in on his 2004 M3 CSL. In addition he has a 1995 M5 touring and an E30 M3.

Amazing car!

Are you sure it isn't an M30B34, the M103 out of the 745 used the B34 setup factory IIRC.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I'm just quoting what the owner wrote himself, I can check that up later.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

evobatman posted:

- Recaro seats up front.

He got this as a trade-in on his 2004 M3 CSL. In addition he has a 1995 M5 touring and an E30 M3.

What a sweet brown car. Did he get it with all the mods in it, or did he add those himself? Also, it couldn't have been an even trade, right? He must have made some money back on the M3.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Of course he made money on the CSL, and he received it as is.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

evobatman posted:

Speaking of 3.0's.. does anyone have a link to the video of the 3.0CSL that is at Laguna Seca where they are interviewing one of the guys who used to race it?

I can't find that anywhere anymore.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Is there somewhere where I can find a full listing, with photos, of the different stock E36 wheels?

I have no idea what '7JX16 double-spoke style 30' or ''7x15 20-spokes' are.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

CornHolio posted:

Is there somewhere where I can find a full listing, with photos, of the different stock E36 wheels?

I have no idea what '7JX16 double-spoke style 30' or ''7x15 20-spokes' are.
Try: http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I hope this hasn't been posted yet

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/10/bmw-gina-light-visionary-model-revealed/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTYiEkQYhWY

Apparently BMW is making a Transformer.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

klosterdev posted:

I hate me some Bangle butts, but that car is rather astounding -- perhaps the only application of his design language that I've seen where it actually makes sense.

The car itself seems more like a "rapid clay-modeler" than anything production oriented, but it's still neat to watch.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Sterndotstern posted:

I hate me some Bangle butts, but that car is rather astounding -- perhaps the only application of his design language that I've seen where it actually makes sense.

The car itself seems more like a "rapid clay-modeler" than anything production oriented, but it's still neat to watch.

Great, so now instead of getting keyed your car can get knifed and shredded.

Seriously though, I wonder if they will combine this with some of the facial recognition stuff they were doing to allow the car to take on the expression (literally) of the driver. That would be :aaa:

Taymar
Oct 11, 2007
Has anyone had experience with replacing the vanos piston seals in a dual-vanos setup?

From what I understand, the seals supposedly deteriorate in a relatively short amount of miles, resulting in several symptoms; one of which is reduced low-end performance (sub 3000 rpm).

There's plenty of posts on the BMW forums praising an improved aftermarket seal kit (beisan systems vanos seal kit), but the vendor states that dyno charts don't show the restored low end power.

Improved low-end power would be the sole reason I'd install these seals. The thing stopping me is that if low end torque and hp were improved, surely it would be visible on a dyno readout?

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom

klosterdev posted:

I hope this hasn't been posted yet

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/10/bmw-gina-light-visionary-model-revealed/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTYiEkQYhWY

As much as I hate Bangle (he sounds like a corporate idiot in the video), that is absolutely amazing. I love BMW for doing projects like this. When I saw it blink and open the hood to see the engine I was all :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I did my first valve adjustment on my 325e today! I got to the 5th cylinder and realized that I had been making the adjustments with reference to rocker touching the cam, and not the eccentric touching the valve. I started over and didn't need to make any corrections but it was definitely worth my time to double check.

I did break a hose though, the one the connects to the top of the valve cover. Anybody know what it's called so I can order a new one this week?