Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Hydrac7 posted:

I don't know what you're talking about bro, my last.fm charts are being topped by Heaven in Her Arms and Louise Cyphre.

Arn't you the guy who re-made their Last.fm account 3-4 times? What are you trying to hide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

Hydrac7 posted:

I don't know what you're talking about bro, my last.fm charts are being topped by Heaven in Her Arms and Louise Cyphre.

You edited this post, it used to say Radiohead and some other band when I first read it. What ARE you trying to hide, Albear!

funeral diner rulz albear sux

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

Corbet posted:

Arn't you the guy who re-made their Last.fm account 3-4 times? What are you trying to hide?

Aren't you the guy who makes really lovely posts? Why are you still posting?

The rest of you bros are being total haters.

xkeyboardxmoshx
Jan 12, 2008
all this danger is turning me on...

Not an Anthem posted:

MLIW is garbage and technically I shouldn't say that because my friend puts out their records, but they are.

witness was incredible, but ill agree the last one blew

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

xkeyboardxmoshx posted:

witness was incredible, but ill agree the last one blew

I dunno from how far back you got that post but I dunno how you can think MLIW sucks. My Live My Way was amazing. I do agree that Midnight in America sucked though.

also: Watchfire are pretty good, you guys should probably listen to them.

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 8, 2008

xkeyboardxmoshx
Jan 12, 2008
Yeah, I'm just saying Midnight In America sucked, I was seriously so stoked for it and then it came out and I was just like, "wow, this really kinda blows."

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Poison Planet, Days off, Estranged and Red Dons played yesterday, pretty good show pretty terrible turnout.

Gripes about Red Dons:

Doug Burns is a loving egomaniac. From the first Observers interviews I read where he discredited everyone who played in the band as merely instruments for his composure, to this show. It is true he wrote the Observers, but if you want to take 100% credit you better make it a one man band.

If you're going to sell Observers merch at Red Dons shows, at least play Observers songs. If you're not going to play Observers songs, keep the Observers records in a distro box, as well as the patches, decals, stickers, buttons, and other loads of merch.

For some reason he is obsessed with the Red Dons, who were soviet spies teaching in the UK. I dunno, maybe I'm weird but I was never big on the soviet union and its intelligence community.

The lyrics for Red Dons pale and are almost downright shameful to Observers material. I regularly lost my mind listening to Observers and when I saw them play with Hellshock at Distort Vancouver it was one of those shows you judge other shows by.

I think I'm just sad they didn't play Observers songs and generally weren't the Observers, or the Clorox Girls for that matter, who I never got to see live.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Saw Brody's Militia last night, they were good live. Seemed like cool guys, too.

leisure no capi
Sep 22, 2003

Am I the only one that doesn't get the Shai Hulud hype? I have really never liked the band, but it seems like everyone I know is gah-gah for them. I feel like its just too melodic for me? v:(v

albear
Jun 7, 2001

leisure no capi posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't get the Shai Hulud hype? I have really never liked the band, but it seems like everyone I know is gah-gah for them. I feel like its just too melodic for me? v:(v

I've always thought that the people who listened to Shai Hulud were the same kinda people who liked poo poo like Hatebreed or Bury Your Dead.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Hydrac7 posted:

I've always thought that the people who listened to Shai Hulud were the same kinda people who liked poo poo like Hatebreed or Bury Your Dead.

An old friend of mine proves this hypothesis correct. He liked all those bands.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons

Hydrac7 posted:

I like Shai Hulud, but really dislike Hatebreed and Bury Your Dead.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Threatis posted:

Same here.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
Any good shows in London this month (through 3 July) that I should be going to?

I already know about Off Minor at the Grosvenor on the 18th and Who Calls So Loud at Ramart Social Club on the 20th, but is there anything else I'm missing?

leisure no capi
Sep 22, 2003

Megiddo posted:

Any good shows in London this month (through 3 July) that I should be going to?

I already know about Off Minor at the Grosvenor on the 18th and Who Calls So Loud at Ramart Social Club on the 20th, but is there anything else I'm missing?

Trash Talk added a London date, but its TBA on June 24th. The European tour they're on is with The Mongoloids so cross your figures they land a venue.

If you live in London, they're playing with Paint it Black in September.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
I love Shai Hulud and can't stand stuff like Hatebreed or Bury Your Dead. I'm not really sure about the new one yet, I really liked it when I first heard it. but now I'm kind of on the fence.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RunTo TheHills posted:

Same here.

Add me to the list. I'm not a real big Shai Hulud fan, but the newest album has some good tracks. I want to get into their back catalog a bit though, the stuff I've heard sounds kind of like Taken, and as we all know, Taken was loving awesome.

punxnbutter
May 22, 2007

Nonsense is better than no sense at all

Hydrac7 posted:

It's getting to the point where you can add Terror to the list....they need to slow down on the releases before they go down the path of sucky generic records (Bury Your Dead).

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!
Shai Hulud is lame because all their lyrics are retardedly pretentious and their songs don't go anywhere.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
Any folk punk fans out there need to check out The loving Buckaroos if you haven't already: http://www.myspace.com/thefuckinbuckaroos

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Threatis posted:

That makes you a weirdo. I think hydrac's dead on with that poo poo.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

punxnbutter posted:

It's getting to the point where you can add Terror to the list....they need to slow down on the releases before they go down the path of sucky generic records (Bury Your Dead).

Funny, from what I've heard of their music lately and their fanbase, they're already there.

orangeaid
Jan 8, 2007
yeah boy

Sirius Sam posted:

Yeah that was the one. Maybe I saw you, what were you wearing? I was the skinny pale white dude in a green Down To Nothing shirt and a white detroit hat near the side of the stage most of the time. Ceremony was loving mind blowing. Easily one of the best shows I've been to. STZ was ridiculously good too, even though they didn't play Get Bent, Giant or Shoes. :mad:

How was Graves? The people I rode with were pussies and wanted to leave right after Ceremony so I loving missed it. I've never liked The Misfits but it would've been a sweet thing to say I've seen.

I was tiny kid in scrubby work clothes going nuts in the back for ceremony until heat stroke made me stop.

Graves was alright, he played dig up her bones and saturday night which was sweet, but I never really got too into the misfits either, to be honest. It was kind of weird because most of my friends were gone/outside so it was me, a half dozen hardcore kids, and 50 mallgoths listening to him.

I don't know if you ended up going to kids like us or not, but if not, you didn't miss much. I never really dug the Mongoloids but I thought they played a way better set then KLU, who played what seemed like way too many songs off outta control and had way too many ignorant rear end dudes there for them.

xkeyboardxmoshx
Jan 12, 2008
not sure what the consensus on metalcore is here, but i curious what peoples thoughts are on the band fjord

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
The Asian Man records tour last night was loving awesome. Andrew Jackson Jihad and Bomb The Music Industry were definitly the best of the opening bands and they both put on really energetic shows. The chick from Lemuria seemed pretty sketched out the whole show, I guess they had a problem with heckling the night before or something. And of course the Queers were loving amazing. They played "Your tripping" and a couple Ramones songs at the end of the show (Pet Semetary, I Believe In Miracles, and Sheena Is A Punk Rocker; strangely enough my three favorite songs). Kepi Ghoulie was funny and his music was alright but I liked him a lot more when he was with The Groovie Ghoulies, that band loving owned.

Unfortunately there were two things that put a bit of a damper on the evening: Some dude came on to me in the most disgusting, obnoxious way I've experienced, and our designated driver (so chosen because of his 18 months of sobriety) seriously fell off the wagon last night and drat near got us killed driving home. The other goon and I didn't realize he was so trashed until he started driving up Broadway on the wrong side of the road. :wtc: He also managed to get kicked out half way through The Queers' set for stage diving and had this really huge need to demonstrate what a punk rocker he was to me and Beatset Radio. Kind of had it with drunk dudes for a few day.

But overall, fan-loving-tastic! If you've got a chance you should go. Also my first 21+ show ever.

E: I forgot to mention the pit there was small, but very good. I managed to spend the entirety of the show either about three inches away from Joe Queer's shoes/crotch or shoved half-way onto the stage because the push was so crushing. Awesome, I definitly scored some new battle scars from that show :)

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 10, 2008

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Triangulum posted:

Pet Semetary
Ahahah, nice one!

quote:

The other goon and I didn't realize he was so trashed until he started driving up Broadway on the wrong side of the road. :wtc:
Sorry about your friend, but you're lucky you didn't get popped. So many cops downtown.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I know dude, us slightly more sober people were kind of freaking out about it. Dude was all over the loving place, it was a bit scary. I feel a little responsible for him falling off the wagon too. Kinda lame, hope he can handle it a little better this time.

One thing that I found funny at the show was the amount of clearly straight dudes screaming, "Joe Queer I wanna suck your dick!" and "Man, I'm totally straight but I would totally bone Ben Weasel!"

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
I really like Hearts Once Nourished... and I listen to That Within Blood... occasionally and I can't loving stand Hatebreed or Bury Your Dead. gently caress generalizations.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

orangeaid posted:

I was tiny kid in scrubby work clothes going nuts in the back for ceremony until heat stroke made me stop.

Graves was alright, he played dig up her bones and saturday night which was sweet, but I never really got too into the misfits either, to be honest. It was kind of weird because most of my friends were gone/outside so it was me, a half dozen hardcore kids, and 50 mallgoths listening to him.

I don't know if you ended up going to kids like us or not, but if not, you didn't miss much. I never really dug the Mongoloids but I thought they played a way better set then KLU, who played what seemed like way too many songs off outta control and had way too many ignorant rear end dudes there for them.

Do you know any Grand Rapids kids by chance? Or any of the Downriver kids? If you do I feel like I would know you/know who you are.

I couldn't find a ride to KLU and plus I was completely broke. I was really looking forward to that show too. :(

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

Ceremony, Saber Tooth Zombie, and Life Long Tragedy are playing a Shelter House show in my town. You aren't allowed to charge money since it's at a park, so the guy who booked it has to accept donations at the door. Shelter House shows are fun and I've never seen non-local bands play one. I have to work, but I'm going to try catch the end of it.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

RunTo TheHills posted:

Same here.

Speaking of Bury Your Dead, I do like them - "You Had Me At Hello" and "Cover Your Tracks", anyway. "Beauty And the Breakdown" was awful. So why, I ask, did I gently caress up and impulse purchase their latest self-titled record yesterday at Best Buy? This thing is awful and I am now soliciting humorous ideas for things to do with the CD.

Jesus, loving terrible.

Kim Jong-Chill
Nov 16, 2006

If you don't like swastikas then you DON'T DESERVE A TATTOO
Ceremony, Sabertooth Zombie and Life Long Tragedy are playing in Atlanta this Saturday, but MY GIRLFRIENDS sisters wedding which I already committed to going to is the same loving day.

I have a decision to make.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Best Buy is also where I go for all my punk, hardcore, and emo music needs.

orangeaid
Jan 8, 2007
yeah boy

Sirius Sam posted:

Do you know any Grand Rapids kids by chance? Or any of the Downriver kids? If you do I feel like I would know you/know who you are.

I couldn't find a ride to KLU and plus I was completely broke. I was really looking forward to that show too. :(

I'm from Lincoln Park so I'm friends or acquaintances with most of the people from there, Wyandotte, and Taylor, and I'm friends of friends with the dudes in All Hype if you're familiar. You're actually the second person I've seen from here without knowing it at shows. Small world.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Kim Jong-Chill posted:

Ceremony, Sabertooth Zombie and Life Long Tragedy are playing in Atlanta this Saturday, but MY GIRLFRIENDS sisters wedding which I already committed to going to is the same loving day.

I have a decision to make.

Paper-mâché, dude.

Make a copy of yourself, go to the wedding, bring it into the bathroom, put your suit on it and give it a bottle of wine. Then leave it there and go to the show.

Anyone asks, you were too drunk.

Kim Jong-Chill
Nov 16, 2006

If you don't like swastikas then you DON'T DESERVE A TATTOO

Parachute Underwear posted:

Paper-mâché, dude.

Make a copy of yourself, go to the wedding, bring it into the bathroom, put your suit on it and give it a bottle of wine. Then leave it there and go to the show.

Anyone asks, you were too drunk.

Two problems with this, Im edge and both the show and wedding start at 7.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Would you mind me asking what the motivation for going straight edge is? As an enthusiastic drug addict I find it somewhat baffling, especially making a lifestyle out of it.

This isn't an attempt to be a douchebg, I just don't really get it.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Triangulum posted:

Would you mind me asking what the motivation for going straight edge is? As an enthusiastic drug addict I find it somewhat baffling, especially making a lifestyle out of it.

I'm probably the odd straight edger out here, but personally speaking I just don't have any interest in doing drugs, can't stand smoke, and I hate the taste of alcohol. I definitely don't make a lifestyle out of it. I actually find all the 1988 style HC bands that are commonly associated with straight edge to be totally boring. I would rather listen to Disrupt or something. I have no problem with people getting driking and getting wasted at gigs, I just ask they be considerate of others.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Triangulum posted:

As an enthusiastic motorcyclist I find it somewhat baffling that people ride scooters or make a lifestyle of it. Please explain why anyone would choose an interest other than mine.

Would you mind me asking what the motivation for collecting CDs is? As an enthusiastic vinyl junkie, I find it somewhat baffling, especially making a lifestyle out of it.

I like X, you like Y, WHY AREN'T WE THE SAME!

There are probably millions of earnest reasons why any one particular person does not choose to use drugs. I don't particularly love the idea of "straight edge" especially considering it tends to frown upon lewd sex and sweet drugs (different formula for different locales), but I don't have a problem with anyone making that choice and look out for my friends who are straight edge, trying not to be a dick about it with them. I would hope as a vegan I would be treated the same.

Some reasons people I've known were straight edge:

They used to love getting wasted and hanging out being stupid, but then one of their friends died due to being drunk and careless while hiking a gorge. They have been drug free ever since.

Buying alcohol directly supports the major 2 domestic american breweries who contribute money to lovely republican/democratic candidates, lovely political means, etc. (I agree!)

Buying alcohol is a ripoff (I agree! Homebrew.)

Their father was an alcoholic and they find substance dependency personally disgusting.

They tried drugs, and didn't see anything cool about it.

They have never done drugs and have no interest in trying them.

They "get high on life" and are all too positive and poo poo for me to even stomach or think about.

etc. Straight edge is a personal thing and you will eventually have your mind blown by all the people you expect least to be straight edge, like when I went sober for almost 2 years.

Chaos, you sound like a lot of people in Chicago. Half the edge kids here jerk off over "straight edge sound" but a lot of the rest are just individuals choosing not to do drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Triangulum posted:

It may sound like a cliche, but my motivation for being straight edge is that I want to live a clean and healthy life. There are people in my family who drink a lot and it sickens me to see the problems they have.

I used to drink every weekend about 5 years ago. During that time, I would act like a goddamn idiot and that ruined some friendships I had. I saw my life going nowhere and I decided to make a change, so I became straight edge. I've been straight edge for 4 and a half years, and I feel it was the best choice I have ever made with my life.

My question to you is why would you brag about being "an enthusiastic drug addict"? Why would you brag about something so negative?