Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Not an Anthem posted:

As an enthusiastic motorcyclist I find it somewhat baffling that people ride scooters or make a lifestyle of it. Please explain why anyone would choose an interest other than mine.

Would you mind me asking what the motivation for collecting CDs is? As an enthusiastic vinyl junkie, I find it somewhat baffling, especially making a lifestyle out of it.

I like X, you like Y, WHY AREN'T WE THE SAME!

There are probably millions of earnest reasons why any one particular person does not choose to use drugs. I don't particularly love the idea of "straight edge" especially considering it tends to frown upon lewd sex and sweet drugs (different formula for different locales), but I don't have a problem with anyone making that choice and look out for my friends who are straight edge, trying not to be a dick about it with them. I would hope as a vegan I would be treated the same.

Some reasons people I've known were straight edge:

They used to love getting wasted and hanging out being stupid, but then one of their friends died due to being drunk and careless while hiking a gorge. They have been drug free ever since.

Buying alcohol directly supports the major 2 domestic american breweries who contribute money to lovely republican/democratic candidates, lovely political means, etc. (I agree!)

Buying alcohol is a ripoff (I agree! Homebrew.)

Their father was an alcoholic and they find substance dependency personally disgusting.

They tried drugs, and didn't see anything cool about it.

They have never done drugs and have no interest in trying them.

They "get high on life" and are all too positive and poo poo for me to even stomach or think about.

etc. Straight edge is a personal thing and you will eventually have your mind blown by all the people you expect least to be straight edge, like when I went sober for almost 2 years.

Chaos, you sound like a lot of people in Chicago. Half the edge kids here jerk off over "straight edge sound" but a lot of the rest are just individuals choosing not to do drugs.

It may not have been clear but I was referring more to people who actively identify as straight edge and are into the lifestyle. There are tons of people who don't do drugs and don't identify as straight edge. I wanna know why people make it a lifestyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

acup posted:

My question to you is why would you brag about being "an enthusiastic drug addict"? Why would you brag about something so negative?

quote:

As an enthusiastic motorcyclist I find it somewhat baffling that people ride scooters or make a lifestyle of it. Please explain why anyone would choose an interest other than mine.

Would you mind me asking what the motivation for collecting CDs is? As an enthusiastic vinyl junkie, I find it somewhat baffling, especially making a lifestyle out of it.

I like X, you like Y, WHY AREN'T WE THE SAME!

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Triangulum posted:

It may not have been clear but I was referring more to people who actively identify as straight edge and are into the lifestyle. There are tons of people who don't do drugs and don't identify as straight edge. I wanna know why people make it a lifestyle.
There are books written on the subject by nerdy straight edge sociologists that go into intricate explanations. I'll save you the boring horrible reading and sum it up: because that is what they are interested in.

More to the point why the hell do you care or sound like you're trying to give them grief over it? That's like dogging out the people locally who are organizing ClitFest for being into Feminism. Should I breath down their neck about why they make it a lifestyle? Should I hassle the local grindcore promoter/label about being too into grindcore?

None of this is homogenous and questioning why it isn't homogenous or why people would make particular choices is pretty asinine. Some straight edge kids call it straight edge, some call it drug free, some just don't talk about it, some "break edge," some have a beer now and then, tons of them have been straight edge for decades or their entire life. Abstinence from drugs wasn't invented in the 80's.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
punx unite

Anyhow, since we were speaking of Orchid before, what's they're best stuff? I've got Dance Tonight, Revolution Tomorrow and dig it a lot.

Got the Witch Hunt/To What End? split and it rips. Hadn't listened to much TWE? but willbe doing more. The Witch Hunt stuff is good, but will have to listen and see if it's as good as their best stuff on Blood Red States... the Rudimentary Peni cover is awesome but they recorded it like 3 years ago.

Saw Blowback and Tragedy twice, the first show didn't do much for me but the second one at Gilman was out of control. Blowback have a lot of energy, the kind of band that you don't care if someone is slapping you in the face and crushing your knees with bricks during, just a lot of fun. I got a Blowback record but my friend has been holding onto it after a night of punk rock scavenger hunting.

Stuff I'm looking forward to:
Black Dove and Paralyzer LPs (Cincinnati hardcore, great stuff).
Spires LP + Spires/Pygmy Lush show later this month.
Motherfuckin' EARTH next Friday (not punk).

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Both Black Dove and Earth loving slay. Haven't had a chance to see Black Dove live but Earth was amazing and they were out of their new LP most of the tour so they said. I would kill for a copy of it, they played a track that was a vinyl-exclusive deal on tour and it was pretty awesome.

edit- I'm honestly only really into their latest. Earlier albums didn't do it so much for me, but yeah this album slays.

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 12, 2008

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
If you're into Black Dove, also check out the Awakening - it's members of Black Dove and Memento Mori, pretty awesome stuff. All the Solar Funeral stuff is solid, really. Def. checkout Black Dove/Paralyzer live if you get a chance.

I'm playing bass with my singer/songwriter housemate the same night as the Earth show and made her pull 8000 strings so we could play first and I could get the gently caress out of dodge to go see Earth. I want to set up speakers outside of my house that pump Earth into the streets 24/7 and evoke fear and doom in the hearts of all who dwell near...

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Mike_V posted:

Not an Anthem's quote

Well, to be fair, I wasn't asking why she did drugs. I was asking why she was bragging about being an addict.

That'd be like me saying, "Last night I punched 3 people in the head because they were near me and smoking". Why would anyone brag about being retarded like that?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

acup posted:

Well, to be fair, I wasn't asking why she did drugs. I was asking why she was bragging about being an addict.

That'd be like me saying, "Last night I punched 3 people in the head because they were near me and smoking". Why would anyone brag about being retarded like that?
Same as a straight edge kid bragging about being straight edge. These are personal decisions and a choice of means to represent yourself, choice of how to live or any other justification for it. It is okay to drink or not to drink or do whatever you see fit.. personally I want to screen t-shirts that say "IT IS OKAY TO DRINK" as I've seen a rise in straight edge gear saying the reverse lately. Everyone gets drinking, or not drinking.

However, according to Gauze, you should probably be hunting feral animals like wolves in the streets if you are a real punk.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Not an Anthem posted:

Same as a straight edge kid bragging about being straight edge. These are personal decisions and a choice of means to represent yourself, choice of how to live or any other justification for it. It is okay to drink or not to drink or do whatever you see fit.. personally I want to screen t-shirts that say "IT IS OKAY TO DRINK" as I've seen a rise in straight edge gear saying the reverse lately. Everyone gets drinking, or not drinking.

I agree, which is why I made the example that I did. I was just asking why someone would brag about something stupid. Straight edge or not, bragging about doing or being something retarded makes you a retard.

And you're only a real punk if you can kill the said wolves with your bare hands.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Hydrac7 posted:

Best Buy is also where I go for all my punk, hardcore, and emo music needs.

I love the fact that HORSE The Band has a "Best Buy Edition" of their latest album. I think it's actually kind of punk as gently caress to pull that off.

Kim Jong-Chill
Nov 16, 2006

If you don't like swastikas then you DON'T DESERVE A TATTOO
Sorry about starting an argument by saying the word edge. Anyway, the wedding/Ceremony situation is sorted out, Im going to see Ceremony.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

Inspector_71 posted:

I love the fact that HORSE The Band has a "Best Buy Edition" of their latest album. I think it's actually kind of punk as gently caress to pull that off.

HORSE the band sucks so it's okay they have a Best Buy edition.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

Triangulum posted:

There are tons of people who identify as straight edge but don't "live the lifestyle" so you should probably quit equating the two.

quote:

Anyhow, since we were speaking of Orchid before, what's they're best stuff? I've got Dance Tonight, Revolution Tomorrow and dig it a lot.
Chaos Is Me is the best Orchid in my opinion but plenty of people disagree with me.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

SubtleDagger posted:

Chaos Is Me is the best Orchid in my opinion but plenty of people disagree with me.

Luckily they have a CD release that is both Dance Tonight and Chaos is Me, so you get the best of both worlds.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

I need more bands that sound like Bad Religion. Tell me about bands that sound like Bad Religion.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

acup posted:

I agree, which is why I made the example that I did. I was just asking why someone would brag about something stupid. Straight edge or not, bragging about doing or being something retarded makes you a retard.

Why is doing drugs and the discussion of drugs automatically "something stupid?" Why does it (again) automatically "make you a retard?" I smoke weed often and occasionally get drunk at big parties. Am I a retard? Are Rastafarians retards because smoking the ganja is essential to their religion?

I have straight edge friends and I fully respect their life decisions. However, if they started ostracizing me the minute I ingested a drop of alcohol (or me calling them out for not partaking), I'm not too sure we'd still be friends.

I don't mean to act like I know you personally, but you sound like a pretty big rear end in a top hat if you make generalizations like that.

Also, there's a difference between someone who's addicted and someone who's an enthusiast. A crack addict might pull a knife on you for money but I doubt Joe Smith, who smokes a joint every once in a while, is going to do the same.

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 12, 2008

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Parachute Underwear posted:

Why is doing drugs and the discussion of drugs automatically "something stupid?" Why does it (again) automatically "make you a retard?" I smoke weed often and occasionally get drunk at big parties. Am I a retard? Are Rastafarians retards because smoking the ganja is essential to their religion?

I have straight edge friends and I fully respect their life decisions. However, if they started ostracizing me the minute I ingested a drop of alcohol (or me calling them out for not partaking), I'm not too sure we'd still be friends.

I don't mean to act like I know you personally, but you sound like a pretty big rear end in a top hat if you make generalizations like that.

Also, there's a difference between someone who's addicted and someone who's an enthusiast. A crack addict might pull a knife on you for money but I doubt Joe Smith, who smokes a joint every once in a while, is going to do the same.

All I said that bragging about being an addict was retarded. If it wasn't retarded, and was something to brag about, rehab wouldn't exist.

I never said anything about people doing drugs being retarded. I never said that people who do drugs are maniacs who are going to rob you. Apparently you think I said those things, but if you read my statements again, you'll see that they aren't there.

Did Triangulum say that she was an enthusiast? No, she said she was an addict. Having no self control to the point of addiction and then bragging about it is pretty retarded in my opinion.

That goes for anything, drugs, alcohol, gambling, MMORPGs. If you get to the point where something is controlling your life, you probably shouldn't go around bragging about it.

Koala posted:

I need more bands that sound like Bad Religion. Tell me about bands that sound like Bad Religion.

Have you tried some of the other bands on Epitaph? When I was really big into Bad Religion I used to love bands like NOFX, Pulley, and other Fat Wreck Chords bands like Strung Out and Zero Down.

acup fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 12, 2008

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

I guess I misread her post, didn't see the mention of addict. In that case, I'm at fault. Sorry dude :shobon:

acup
Sep 11, 2001

I guess I misread her post, didn't see the mention of addict. In that case, I'm at fault. Sorry dude :shobon:

No sweat, man. No sweat.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

acup posted:

No sweat, man. No sweat.

I assumed that slight exaggeration was obvious, but apparently not. I smoke weed and do some psychedelics. I was a meth/coke addict in high school, but that was a while ago.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

Koala posted:

Cro(w)s sounded a bit like early BR.

http://www.myspace.com/crows
http://www.greyflight.com/crows/crownew2.html

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Hooray for yet another straight edge argument.

Tonight I found out Reversal Of Man covered Minor Threat - Look Back And Laugh. I played it on my radio show and it was awesome. I was so stoked about it I forgot to blank out all of the "gently caress"s and "poo poo"s. Oh well.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

Angiepants posted:

Cro(w)s sounded a bit like early BR.

http://www.myspace.com/crows
http://www.greyflight.com/crows/crownew2.html

Thanks! They do sound a lot like early BR. I'll also check out some of the other bands on Epitaph.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

I got my preordered copy of the new Her Breath on Glass LP. This thing is beautiful. They gave me a bonus 7 inch, a poster, and some patches with it. You really can't go wrong for 10 dollars.

I'm really glad that there are still some bands out there who put a lot into their releases and aren't trying to rake in the profits at the same time.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

acup posted:

I got my preordered copy of the new Her Breath on Glass LP. This thing is beautiful. They gave me a bonus 7 inch, a poster, and some patches with it. You really can't go wrong for 10 dollars.

I'm really glad that there are still some bands out there who put a lot into their releases and aren't trying to rake in the profits at the same time.

Do HBoG still use the lovely high-pitched vox from their older material? I really liked the instrumentals but the vocals threw me off every time. Funeral Diner used to do that sometimes before they took a turn for awesome.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm going to see Resist and Exist at the Che this weekend. Never heard 'em before but it looks fun and it's $5. Anyone seen them before? Also, sorry about the sXe derail, I wasn't trying to insult anyone's lifestyle or say I was more awesome because I like drugs. v:)v

V Dunno, like I said, never heard of them before. I'm just looking for a show to go to before school starts on monday.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 12, 2008

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Triangulum posted:

I'm going to see Resist and Exist at the Che this weekend. Never heard 'em before but it looks fun and it's $5. Anyone seen them before? Also, sorry about the sXe derail, I wasn't trying to insult anyone's lifestyle or say I was more awesome because I like drugs. v:)v

What the gently caress? How many times are these guys going to be done for good?

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Mike_V posted:

What the gently caress? How many times are these guys going to be done for good?

probably less times than RAMBO

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Triangulum posted:

V Dunno, like I said, never heard of them before. I'm just looking for a show to go to before school starts on monday.

Resist is awesome, have fun :mad:

acup
Sep 11, 2001

zeldadude posted:

Resist is awesome, have fun :mad:

The band she's talking about is Resist And Exist. But I'll echo your sentiment, Resist are awesome.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Is anyone going to the Free The Black Riders 3/Solidarity Summer Festival? I got the info off of Resist and Exist's Myspace and it looks really, really interesting. FNB is doing the meals so I may just try and volunteer for it. Here's the info for anyone interested:
FREE THE BLACK RIDERS 3 / SOLIDARITY SUMMER FESTIVAL
Saturday, July 12th from 12 noon - 9pm
At the Southern California Library of Social Studies & Research, 6120 South Vermont Avenue, Los Angeles, Ca. 90044
(Between Slauson & Gage Ave - off the 110 Freeway) Tel (323)759-6063
$5.00 Admission includes free Vegan Dinner served by Food Not Bombs
AN EVENT ON BRINGING IN ALL THE MOVEMENTS
TOGETHER:
FILM - 41st & Central by Gregory Everett.
The untold story of the Southern California Chapter of the Black Panther Party for Self Defense.

*Black Panther Party in the 70's workshop by Kwaku Duren chairman of the New Panther Vanguard Movement and a Lawyer.

*Speaker - Shareef Abdullah (Black Panther Party member in the 70's and a Social Worker).

*A history of the Chicago Chapter of the Black Panther Party and Community Organizing by
Michael D. McCarty

*Free the San Fransisco 8 workshop. by Ray Boudreaux and Henry W. (Hank) Jones And they will be showing a film called: LEGACY OF TORTURE.

Open discussion with members of the
Black Riders Liberation Party.

Her-story of the Riot Grrrl - Feminist
Punk workshop by Shannon

Live Hip Hop performance by
Sherman Austin

Poetry reading by Yaotl from Aztlan
Underground

Workshop on SDS and the Weather
Underground by Michael Novick
(former SDS / W.U. member and editor of
Turning The Tide newspaper)

Poetry reading by Sadiki Bakari
Author of the book Butt Naked Raw
and Uncensored.

Militant and Passive Action workshop by
Jeff from Base Collective.

Workshop by Mo from Asians For
Mumia / Jericho.

Poetry by Elyse / Animal Rights Activist

Check for updates on this web site:
http://diyzine.com/solidarity

If anyone from San Diego/TJ is going, I'd be down to carpool 'cause I'm sure I'll be broke that week.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

acup posted:

The band she's talking about is Resist And Exist. But I'll echo your sentiment, Resist are awesome.

Oh, I see. Silly me.

Liferuiner in a couple days, wooo boy am I pumped :v:

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

Do HBoG still use the lovely high-pitched vox from their older material? I really liked the instrumentals but the vocals threw me off every time. Funeral Diner used to do that sometimes before they took a turn for awesome.
Difference of Potential is my favorite Funeral Diner t:mad:

Of course all Funeral Diner rules but still

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

SubtleDagger posted:

Of course all Funeral Diner rules but still

I know, but I prefer the newer stuff because I have raging boners for the vox ;-*

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
LaGrecia leaked and it is spectacular, especially Hey Medic and Two Shotguns. New Alkaline Trio leaked too but I'm not even gonna bother, I know it's gonna be sickening. :(

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Angiepants posted:

LaGrecia leaked and it is spectacular, especially Hey Medic and Two Shotguns. New Alkaline Trio leaked too but I'm not even gonna bother, I know it's gonna be sickening. :(

Several people on the .org said it was like Crimson Part 2. Take that for what it's worth.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

I guess I'm going to Warped this year for free, since I'm doing a table for the Rainforest Action Network. Besides the Aggrolites are any good bands playing at all this year?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I guess it depends on what Against Me! plays as to if they're good or not. The Bronx are good, The Dillinger Escape Plan are always awesome, I can't see Every Time I Die putting on a bad show, Norma Jean may be alright, Rise Against aren't terrible, and that's about it.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Wizard Mannequin posted:

I guess I'm going to Warped this year for free, since I'm doing a table for the Rainforest Action Network. Besides the Aggrolites are any good bands playing at all this year?

Set Your Goals, Stick to Your Guns if you like them.. pretty much it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.

Triangulum posted:

Would you mind me asking what the motivation for going straight edge is? As an enthusiastic drug addict I find it somewhat baffling, especially making a lifestyle out of it.

This isn't an attempt to be a douchebg, I just don't really get it.

Used to drink, had a New Years Eve I could remember. Said the proverbial "I'm never drinking again..." and it kind of stuck. I don't really say I'm 'edge' in terms of anything other than using it as a shorthand for not drinking/smoking/doing drugs. Besides which, the entire xNamex thing just seems to be setting yourself up to fail.

I'm not a good drunk, so I don't drink. Cigarettes are just dumb, and drugs don't really appeal. Fair play to you if you can do stuff like that and have fun, it's just not for me.

Being honest, I prefer seeing more arguments about stuff like this rather than just:
"I like band X."
"I disagree, I prefer band Y."
over and over again.