Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I suspect high gas prices may be helping Miata prices rise - they're not the most fuel efficient cars but as far as fun cars go / how the general public compares them, they are more economical than even a V6 Mustang 'vert or a Sebring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Fuel economy time! The format is:

Year + Any mods relevant to fuel economy
Current Mileage on Odometer
Last fill up MPG
Personal best
Personal worst

----------------

Year: 1994 w/ OEM front air dam + Hardtop
Mileage: 151k
Last: 29.2mpg
Best: 31 mpg (driving like a drat grandma and shifting at 2500-2700rpm)
Worst: 19-20 mpg (Deal's Gap, not much use of the 4th gear)

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Phone posted:

Fuel economy time! The format is:

Year + Any mods relevant to fuel economy
Current Mileage on Odometer
Last fill up MPG
Personal best
Personal worst

'94 + tornado fuel saver boostu, etc.
like 144-145k, it goes up too fast to keep track of :mad:
164 miles in 10.6 gallons = 15.5mpg
Personal best = 25.7mpg highway cruise
Personal worst (street) = 14.x mpg, around-town assholing
Personal worst (track) = 9mpg

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I've always been bothered by the crappy MPG both my Miatas have gotten compared to my MR2. I've never seen over 30 on my NB or NC.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
1990 - Garage Vary front lip :rice:
Current Mileage on Odometer: 76k
Last fill up MPG 28
Personal best 33 (all highway, cruising under 4k to stay out of open loop)
Personal worst can't say I've ever beaten through a whole tank :smith:

destructo fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 9, 2008

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
1997 Stock Canadian Speedster - R Package Lip - Rear Spoiler
Current Mileage on Odometer: 165,701km
Last fill up MPG: 32.91MPG UK
Personal best: 41.87MPG UK
Personal worst: 29.78MPG UK

I've excelled every single drop going into my car.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ziploc posted:

Last fill up MPG: 27.4MPG
Personal best: 34.86MPG
Personal worst: 24.79MPG

There, fixed it for you.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

1992 w/ oem front air dam and hardtop
~142k currently
Last tank I got 300.7 miles out of 9.367 gallons = 32 MPG
Best is 32mpg
worst I've got is 26 I believe

Just started a excel spreadsheet a week ago that I'm gonna use to keep track of my fuel economy and how much money I'm dumping into fuel.

rowebot44
Feb 21, 2006
2005 stone stock
last fill 27mpg
best 32mpg
worst 13mpg

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
1996 m45 w/ big boost pulley, 440cc injectors, megasquirt
181800 miles
252 miles out of 9.3 gallons = 27mpg. normally get 25, having to keep off the happy pedal because my water injection is acting a little funky and its officially "hot as balls" in Atlanta
30ish before the supercharger? I tuned megasquirt lean to try and pass emissions and got 28 for a week (before the EGR ended up throwing a code... back to the tune drawing board on that one)
16mpg (bad, awful, terrible megasquirt tune)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

77,000 miles
Last fill-up: 24.06 mpg
Personal Best: 27.11 mpg (all highway, 80mph+, top down - not the most aerodynamic, I realize)
Personal Worst: 19.46 mpg

I have a feeling my O2 sensor is dying, or something. I already cleaned my MAF and replaced the air filter, plugs, wires, etc. My lifetime average (1.5 years, 6000 miles) is 23 mpg, and I would not consider myself to be driving over-the-top aggressively. Not like a grandma, but I'm not street racing everywhere.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 9, 2008

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

^^^Since I screwed up my MAF trying to clean it and posted about it on the last page. How exactly do you clean it? What I mean is what exactly is there to clean. It's just a flapper valve then above that a spring with a circuit board type thingy and some electrical connectors.

I assume we wouldn't be talking about different things.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Chauncey posted:

^^^Since I screwed up my MAF trying to clean it and posted about it on the last page. How exactly do you clean it? What I mean is what exactly is there to clean. It's just a flapper valve then above that a spring with a circuit board type thingy and some electrical connectors.

1.6s have AFMs 1.8s have MAFs afaik. Two different things

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Chauncey posted:

In 1994, Miatas switched to a MAF sensor from the old AFM sensor. You're talking about the AFM sensor.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Year: 1999 w/ OEM front air dam + Hardtop + lowered + 2.5" exhaust + other stuff
Mileage: 89k
Last: 26 mpg
Best: 34 mpg (constant 80mph on highway at roughly 4300rpm, using cruise control, AC, windows up fully). If I am doing all highway driving I usually get between 30-35mpg depending on how many times I run up to 100+mph).
Worst: 18 mpg (late night mtn road touge style driving in California, running through the gears at WOT for a couple hours)

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

Guinness posted:

In 1994, Miatas switched to a MAF sensor from the old AFM sensor. You're talking about the AFM sensor.

It all makes sense now. I only had my 97 for 2 weeks before it was wrecked so I had no time to play around under the hood other than plugs/oil!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I just filled up... 26.2 mpg. :smith:

drat happy button...

jromano
Sep 24, 2007
I'm officially in the hunt for a Miata. Trying to find the best NA available in the Philadelphia/South Jersey area on a $5000 budget. I'd rather get something high mileage for a little cheaper and have left over spending money.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

jromano posted:

I'm officially in the hunt for a Miata. Trying to find the best NA available in the Philadelphia/South Jersey area on a $5000 budget. I'd rather get something high mileage for a little cheaper and have left over spending money.

Best available for what? Daily driver, track car, weekend toy?

Dicker
Sep 1, 2006
I do not understand how you guys get 30mpg.

I drive the car hard it gets 26mpg, i drive the car like grandma (still doing 80 on the freeway though) i get 26.5

1995 113k miles
RB intake OEM lip, Hardtop.

jromano
Sep 24, 2007

laymil posted:

Best available for what? Daily driver, track car, weekend toy?

Weekend toy I guess. It will be my only vehicle, but I'm not very dependent on cars. It will see no more than 3-5k miles a year.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Dicker posted:

I drive the car hard it gets 26mpg, i drive the car like grandma (still doing 80 on the freeway though) i get 26.5

1995 113k miles

When I do ~80 on the freeway which is... ~4200 rpm in my car, I get 28mpg. The 32mpg I got was going ~70 mainly holding it around 3750 rpm. And at that speed I still pass the majority of the traffic, it seems people have slowed down their freeway speeds since gas prices have gone up.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Dicker posted:

1995 113k miles

I could probably squeeze 32+mpg if I didn't bring it past 4k whenever I drove. It's pretty much just not revving up the engine; shift at 2.5-2.7k instead of 3-3.5k.

notro man
Aug 23, 2006
Year: 1999 w/ FMII turbo, 2.5" turbo-back exhaust
Mileage: 37k
Last: 26mpg
Best: 30 mpg (highway trip, trying to stay off boost [not always working])
Worst: 18mpg (driving like an rear end)

Not going to bother with track/autox mileage.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I really don't understand how anyone is getting this kind of mileage. I just finished driving through 8 (7.982) gallons of gas and I made it 162 (.5) miles. That's about 20 MPG. Taking into account that it is 140 city miles and 20 highway miles, and that those city miles are all before the car has warmed up, and also that I drive with the top down all the time, I'm still not coming anywhere close to the mileage that I should be getting. And there's no problems with the car, I'm not beating it ridiculously, I do have oversize tires on the car, but not enough to account for the difference in actual and reported mileage. No CELs, no codes in the ECU. No modifications other than a Flyin' Miata axle-back muffler. The air filter is clean, the oil is 2500 miles old.

2002 LS with 74K miles.

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!
Year: 1991 Classic Red Automatic
Mileage: 192K
Last: 28mpg (I average between 27-30)
Best: 31mpg (long highway trip w/ cruise at ~ 70mph)
Worst: 22mpg (Deal's Gap last year in 2nd only for most of the tank)

Year: 1991 SE British Racing Green w/ 5-spd
Mileage: 47K
Last: 31.8mpg (average for my usual driving (85-90 miles / day commute))
Best: 34.4mpg (long highway trip w/ cruise at 75)
Worst: 30.1mpg (lots of shifting at 6500 or so, rocket starts, etc)

Both cars are pretty much bone stock. No m0dz, no boostu, nada. The only real mod to them would be NGK wires, NGK iridium plugs and K&N drop-in filters. The BRG has a Borla single tip cat-back, and the Red has stock exhaust.

BRG has Bridgestone tires on factory alloys at OE size, the Red has 195/60-R14 Yokohama Avids on factory alloys.

Maybe I'm just lucky?? I dont see how people are getting mileage in the very low 20s without having turbo or SC or some sort of modifications... other than just a worn engine... I dunno...

I drive top down unless it's actively raining, never use A/C, and usually stay within 10mph of the posted speed. Typically, I shift at 4k RPM...

notro man
Aug 23, 2006

Sigma X posted:

I really don't understand how anyone is getting this kind of mileage. I just finished driving through 8 (7.982) gallons of gas and I made it 162 (.5) miles. That's about 20 MPG. Taking into account that it is 140 city miles and 20 highway miles, and that those city miles are all before the car has warmed up, and also that I drive with the top down all the time, I'm still not coming anywhere close to the mileage that I should be getting. And there's no problems with the car, I'm not beating it ridiculously, I do have oversize tires on the car, but not enough to account for the difference in actual and reported mileage. No CELs, no codes in the ECU. No modifications other than a Flyin' Miata axle-back muffler. The air filter is clean, the oil is 2500 miles old.

2002 LS with 74K miles.

That's weird man, I've never heard of anyone getting such lovely mileage on a mostly stock Miata. Even my old '90 averaged 27-30mpg city/highway mix and I was constantly beating on it. My previous '99, bone stock, averaged 25-27mpg city and 30 highway.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I'm betting that a lot of the people getting lovely mileage live out west with 75+MPH freeways, and that the people getting 30 MPG have 1.6Ls that never exceed 60MPH.

For what it's worth I get 25 city / 25 highway.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ulf posted:

I'm betting that a lot of the people getting lovely mileage live out west with 75+MPH freeways, and that the people getting 30 MPG have 1.6Ls that never exceed 60MPH.

I almost always do 80+ on the freeway, often with the top down, and will net around 27-28mpg if its just straight freeway driving. My car definitely has no problem achieving its expected mileage on the freeway. I'm sure I could pull 30+ if I didn't go faster than 65 and had the top up. My last short roadtrip (~175 mile roundtrip) was all highway doing 85-95 the entire time with the top down and I averaged 27.3mpg for just that trip.

It's just in the city that my mileage gets absolutely murdered (more than would be expected). Averaging 22 city while driving a 2200 pound, 1.8L NA 4-banger on 195mm tires seems a little wrong. Granted, I'm not keeping efficiency at the forefront of my mind, but I'm far from street racing most often. I usually shift around 3500ish RPM to avoid open loop, and cruise at around 2000-2200 RPM, whatever gear that may be. I could maybe eek an extra 1-2mpg out of it if I drove it like an utter grandma, but all these people claiming to get near-30mpg city absolutely astounds me and I almost don't believe them.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 12, 2008

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
I picked up my MX-5 on Sunday, and I'm in love with it already.

It's a 1990 NA model, and it's done about 190,000km. Blue, with a hard-top, as you can see. It's pretty much totally stock as far as I know, except for the CD player, (and I've got the original cassette player in the boot).

I'm not exactly a car person, but I've looked at more than few MX-5s in my city before finding one this good, so I'm pretty freaking excited. :dance:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Ulf posted:

For what it's worth I get 25 city / 25 highway.

I am in the 30+ mpg camp and I generally drive at least 80mph when I am on the highway. This is with a 99 NB.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

It's a 1990 NA model, and it's done about 190,000km. Blue, with a hard-top, as you can see. It's pretty much totally stock as far as I know, except for the CD player, (and I've got the original cassette player in the boot).

I'm not exactly a car person, but I've looked at more than few MX-5s in my city before finding one this good, so I'm pretty freaking excited. :dance:

Wow, that looks pretty clean for a 1990. Very nice. Enjoy it, I picked mine up last Friday and also, am in love :love:

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl
My '97 feels like riding a loving mine-cart over railroad tracks. Even the tiniest potholes make me cringe and cause everything to rattle.

I would like to replace my shocks at least, but do I need other components such as mounts, bumpstops, springs, etc.? I was gonna go with an FM Stage 1 kit, but it seemed a bit expensive.

So far here's what I have:

-Tokico Illumina "Advanced Handling Kit" (shocks + springs, this kit seems about the same as the FM Stage 1 kit but I could be wrong)

I've also seen recommendations for FCM bumpstops, mounts, and other things. Do I need any of this? Do I even need to replace my springs? The ebay page for the shock kit says it lowers the car, and the FM mounts increase suspension travel, which I think would be very good.

Essentially, I want this to be a comfortable DD. I don't have any plans for autox or track stuff -- I just want a smooth ride that can handle some frequent "spirited driving" ;)

My budget is around $1000-1500.

PS: I don't know poo poo about installing suspension stuff, but I understand the basics and I've looked through various build pages and I think I get the basic idea. Would this be feasible to install for a beginner? All I've done on my car are oil changes, brakes, etc.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

I think I've spent just about 1500 on my suspension total so far. Everything has been replaced except sway bars and end links. I personally went with Koni Sports, Ground Controls 425f/350r I believe, FCM bump stops and mounts and ES Poly bushings.

My ride isn't too bad. It is rougher than the stock suspension I had but it doesn't bounce like it did and since I raised the car ~1 inch a few months ago it rides even better, but then my rear shocks were sitting on the bump stop when parked before I raised it... As a comparison my friend has the Stance GR+ coilovers on his WRX and his car rides a lot harsher than mine.

Installing shocks and stuff is extremely easy if you're replacing everything since you don't have to pull off your old shock mounts and stuff.

The only thing i can really recommend is seeing if there is anyone local to you with suspension work done and get a ride with them since everyone feels stuff differently. There's a guy in my town that has the r package suspension on his car and thinks its too rough. I don't know what he's thinking but i haven't ridden in a car with that suspension yet.

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

FireTora posted:

Installing shocks and stuff is extremely easy if you're replacing everything since you don't have to pull off your old shock mounts and stuff.

Don't you have to pull them off anyway? Do you mean I can just unscrew the mount, keeping the shock compressed, and remove the entire assembly (mount, bumpstop, and shock) all in one piece?

On a related note, is there any well-illustrated guide on how to replace shocks? I think I have an idea of the parts involved and how everything fits together, but I am worried about the critical details.

Here is a quick off the top of my head of the parts in order from top to bottom. Please tell me if anything is incorrect:

plastic ring piece (i think this is miata-specific)
mount
bumpstop
shock + spring

Any more components I should be aware of?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Amir posted:

Don't you have to pull them off anyway? Do you mean I can just unscrew the mount, keeping the shock compressed, and remove the entire assembly (mount, bumpstop, and shock) all in one piece?

You have to pull off the entire assembly either way, but if you don't get new mounts and bump stops you need to compress the springs and remove the nut holding the mount in place so that you can put them on the new shocks. Same deal if you want to use the stock springs.

There should be a general car shock replacement guide online somewhere, someone might have wrote a miata specific on on the forums somewhere.

I assume you mean that cap at the stop of the struts by ring piece. Its not required at all and i don't even know if it'll fit with some setups. If you don't go with coilovers or get FCMs 3.5" ones get some new dust boots.

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl
My bump stops are probably mashed to poo poo by now anyway. What are the advantages of getting FCM mounts over FM mounts? They both claim to do the same thing and both come with bumpstops, but the FM ones are for rear only (2 mounts per kit) whereas the FCM mounts are for all four corners for slightly more money.

This is all so drat confusing!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Amir posted:

My bump stops are probably mashed to poo poo by now anyway. What are the advantages of getting FCM mounts over FM mounts? They both claim to do the same thing and both come with bumpstops, but the FM ones are for rear only (2 mounts per kit) whereas the FCM mounts are for all four corners for slightly more money.

This is all so drat confusing!

My 97s had very good boots and perfectly fine bumps coming out at 160,000KMS. I bought FCM Bumps and boots. With Tokico Illuminas from FM.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 13, 2008

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Ziploc posted:

My 97s had very good boots and perfectly fine bumps coming out at 160,000KMS. I bought FCM Bumps and boots. With Tokico Illuminas from FM.

Do you think they're still good after they've been ridden around on for several years due to the PO not realizing the shocks were blown?

Did you get FM springs too or did you use stock/some other brand? Did you use FCM bumps/boots on all 4 corners? Which bumps did you choose? I hear good things about 36mm front/46mm rear combo but I'm worried the ride might be harsh. FCM suggests 54mm progressive bumps for a "more comfortable ride". Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Nice smurf, keep it clean :buddy:

edit: are those Zoom Engineering sidemarkers or were those some non-US dealie?