Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Thornes posted:

This thread has fallen pretty far back and that saddens me.

So I was wondering, what can you guys tell me about Fishbone and some lesser known but easily obtainable Ska bands. (I don't want to have to journey to strange far off lands to obtain my music!)
I'm not sure what qualifies as "lesser known." Here's a few that you may not have heard of:

The Forces of Evil - Aaron Barrett's side project, sounds a lot like Reel Big Fish. Only has the one album, Friend or Foe, as far as I know, and aren't together anymore. Barrett pulled the band together around the time Cheer Up! was released because he thought everyone would hate the album and Reel Big Fish might break up, and he'd "still want to prove to everyone that I still love ska and love to play it."

Taj Motel Trio - If you haven't been following this thread for a while, you might have missed this band. Josh Wow of SA plays in it and they are very good. Of what I've heard, I like their newest (Part of the Problem) the best.

Buck-O-Nine - Start with Twenty-Eight Teeth, which I think is their best. If you can deal with the singer's voice consider other albums.

Spider Nick & The Maddogs - Something about these guys' horn section bugs me, but I don't know enough to know what it is -- I think it's either the production or the part writing. Still, there are several good songs off their album Fire Pit.

Bim Skala Bim - This was supposed to be a kind of ska supergroup. It didn't work because most of their writing is uninspired, but there's some good stuff to be had.

The Hippos - I understand they've become less ska-oriented over time, so I guess try to stick to their older stuff. I only have Heads Are Gonna Roll, which is fairly decent. Very poppy though.

Mad Caddies - Some of their stuff I really like, others not so much. Start with Quality Softcore.

Mustard Plug - Used to be a big name, not as well-known now. Pray For Mojo is my favorite of what I've heard.

Voodoo Glow Skulls - Very aggressive, "dirty" ska. The Band Geek Mafia is probably their best known; I like Firme.

Rx Bandits - I don't even know whether to classify these guys as ska. They have... a trombonist, if I remember correctly. They tend to write much more complex stuff than most ska bands. I dig 'em. They have three albums (well, four, but the first sounds totally different), Progress, The Resignation and ... And The Battle Begun. I like all three, but they all have a very different sound. I used to like Progress the most; now I find myself with a marked preference for ... And The Battle Begun.

Save Ferris - Has basically only one album worth listening to, It Means Everything.

I think that's a fairly decent list. If you need more suggestions I can drag out some of the stuff that is a little better-known but you might still not have heard of.

EDIT: All of these bands have some or all of their catalogue up on Amazon MP3, which also means that there are readily-accessible sample clips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

What the hell. I just bought Cheer Up! because I couldn't find Average Man anywhere else, and its not on there. Does anyone know where I can buy an MP3 of it?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Sandwolf posted:

What the hell. I just bought Cheer Up! because I couldn't find Average Man anywhere else, and its not on there. Does anyone know where I can buy an MP3 of it?

It's only on the Japanese version of Cheer Up!, so that may be why it's hard to find.

Nine Lives
Feb 28, 2008

Day in, day out
Anyone know of a ska scene around Houston and Galveston?

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
SECharger73 hates sad reminders :[
Holy poo poo.

http://www.imperialrecords.jp/intl/artistlist/artist/lessthanjake/

That website, which I guess if for the record company releasing Less Than Jake's new album GNV FLA in Japan, has 40-second previews of all the songs on the new album. I was cautiously optimistic about the album at first, and after Does the Lion City Still Roar? came out I was excited, but now I'm certain this is going to be my favorite album of the year. There are speedy punk guitars, ska riffs, bits of metal, and HORNS all over the loving place on this album.

The Space They Can't Touch sounds glorious.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Amazing find Striker. It does sound loving awesome. I hope they release it on vinyl as well.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003

mix.lunar posted:

Amazing find Striker. It does sound loving awesome. I hope they release it on vinyl as well.

They are. They're releasing 3 versions on vinyl. A colored vinyl (no idea what color) and a 180 gram black vinyl, which is also available as a limited collectors edition with signed art print. All three LPs will come in a gatefold package. You can pre-order it now on lessthanjake.com (LE sold out) and interpunk.com.

I got the Limited Edition LP and also the CD + "I <3 GNV ROCK CITY" shirt.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

guppy posted:

Rx Bandits - I don't even know whether to classify these guys as ska. They have... a trombonist, if I remember correctly. They tend to write much more complex stuff than most ska bands. I dig 'em. They have three albums (well, four, but the first sounds totally different), Progress, The Resignation and ... And The Battle Begun. I like all three, but they all have a very different sound. I used to like Progress the most; now I find myself with a marked preference for ... And The Battle Begun.

They actually have 5 studio albums (and a live album). The first 2 are pretty generic 3rd-wave ska.

Those drat Bandits
Halfway Between Here and There
Progress
The Resignation
...and the Battle Begun

They've kind of gone to a ska/reggae influenced progressive band, but I still think they're great. I'm actually going to see them next month. Their last 2 albums are amazing, Progress was a bit overproduced for my taste.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

StrikerObi posted:

Holy poo poo.

http://www.imperialrecords.jp/intl/artistlist/artist/lessthanjake/

That website, which I guess if for the record company releasing Less Than Jake's new album GNV FLA in Japan, has 40-second previews of all the songs on the new album. I was cautiously optimistic about the album at first, and after Does the Lion City Still Roar? came out I was excited, but now I'm certain this is going to be my favorite album of the year. There are speedy punk guitars, ska riffs, bits of metal, and HORNS all over the loving place on this album.

The Space They Can't Touch sounds glorious.
loving awesome.

I'm seeing Less Than Jake this Friday at the London Barfly, which is a tiny tiny venue. And its the day after my last exam. Quite possibly the best send off for 2 years of hard work.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

guppy posted:

I'm not sure what qualifies as "lesser known." Here's a few that you may not have heard of:

Well I guess it makes me happy that I've heard of most of those.

But I'll check out The Forces of Evil, Spider Nick, and Bim Skala Bim. I've also always been curious about the Rx Bandits but never knew which albums to get.

Garth Algar
Jun 9, 2007
Did you ever see that "Twilight Zone" where the guy signed a contract and they cut out his tongue and put it in a jar and it wouldn't die, it just grew and pulsated and gave birth to baby tongues? Pretty cool, huh?

Aventine posted:

loving awesome.

I'm seeing Less Than Jake this Friday at the London Barfly, which is a tiny tiny venue. And its the day after my last exam. Quite possibly the best send off for 2 years of hard work.

Heh I don't think i've heard it called the London Barfly before.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

They've kind of gone to a ska/reggae influenced progressive band, but I still think they're great. I'm actually going to see them next month. Their last 2 albums are amazing, Progress was a bit overproduced for my taste.
They are playing in my town next month too. I want to go, but I can't convince anyone to go with me.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
I bought a ticket to see LTJ next week in St Pete but it's a four hour drive and with gas at $4/gal here in Florida I just can't justify dropping $100 to drive there and back. :(

I've listened to those preview tracks a few times now and I just can't get any more excited for this album. Two weeks left! I hear "The State of Florida" and when I close my eyes all I see is the biggest loving circle pit.

StrikerObi fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 11, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
So do you guys consider Leftover Crack ska? I've never been a fan of ska but I dig Leftover Crack, but I can't seem to figure out what genre they are.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
I hear no ska from what Leftover Crack I've heard (~6 songs). They give off a serious Anti-Flag vibe to me.

SinSalvador
Dec 27, 2007

Your Japanese Dad posted:

So do you guys consider Leftover Crack ska? I've never been a fan of ska but I dig Leftover Crack, but I can't seem to figure out what genre they are.

I'd call them Crust Punk, but they definately have some (however insignificant they may be) ska-influences. Gay Rude Boys Unite at least proves that they feel some sort of connection to the scene.

Changing topics, that new LTJ album sounds amazing. I've never been a really big fan, though I did like a lot of Pezcore. Can anyone recommend LTJ albums that are musically in the same vein as the upcoming one?

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003

SinSalvador posted:

I'd call them Crust Punk, but they definately have some (however insignificant they may be) ska-influences. Gay Rude Boys Unite at least proves that they feel some sort of connection to the scene.

Changing topics, that new LTJ album sounds amazing. I've never been a really big fan, though I did like a lot of Pezcore. Can anyone recommend LTJ albums that are musically in the same vein as the upcoming one?

The new album is weird because it sounds very familiar but at the same time like nothing they've done before. That said, I'd recommend Hello Rockview and Losing Streak. Those are their two best albums. Hello Rockview is probably the most similar to GNV FLA.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Your Japanese Dad posted:

Kind of hardcore skapunk. I only have Choking Victim though.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
So random question...is anyone here looking at going to ska weekend this year, and if so whould anyone be interested in splitting a hotel room for the night after the show?

Nine Lives
Feb 28, 2008

Day in, day out
Just started listening to Streetlight Manifesto. Pretty good, but I'm more into the surf rock styles like Pepper, Slightly Stoopid, etc. Any good suggestions?

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
New Less Than Jake song streaming on AbsolutePunk.

http://www.absolutepunk.net/artists/showlink.php?do=showdetails&l=1596

It's "Summon Monsters". It's pretty overtly about drug deals, and also pretty overtly awesome. GNV FLA is shaping up to be a massive record for this band.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

So on the first page it says Bomb the Music Industry, so I downloaded there albums off there site, and while I really like most of there stuff I don't hear alot of ska influences? Can someone point on some songs that are more ska-y.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Sandwolf posted:

So on the first page it says Bomb the Music Industry, so I downloaded there albums off there site, and while I really like most of there stuff I don't hear alot of ska influences? Can someone point on some songs that are more ska-y.

Sorry, Brooklyn. Dancing Won't Solve Anything.

I dunno, they (he, sometimes) obviously have been influenced by ska, but it's not like they are really going to represent what people who are just down with like LTJ, RBF, et. al would be expecting from a ska-influenced band. For what it's worth, I just classify them as "Punk" in my iTunes list.

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 12, 2008

Kolchak
May 3, 2006

If I don't tell this story now, I don't think I ever will.

StrikerObi posted:

New Less Than Jake song streaming on AbsolutePunk.

http://www.absolutepunk.net/artists/showlink.php?do=showdetails&l=1596

It's "Summon Monsters". It's pretty overtly about drug deals, and also pretty overtly awesome. GNV FLA is shaping up to be a massive record for this band.
Holy poo poo. Thanks for the heads up, this is a great song! Wow.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mike_V posted:

Sorry, Brooklyn. Dancing Won't Solve Anything.

I dunno, they (he, sometimes) obviously have been influenced by ska, but it's not like they are really going to represent what people who are just down with like LTJ, RBF, et. al would be expecting from a ska-influenced band. For what it's worth, I just classify them as "Punk" in my iTunes list.

Same but it seems like they're ska on there website too and in "Congratulations, John"

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
So the new Less Than Jake is out there now. I love the band too much to say where, but holy poo poo it's amazing. This album is easily their best release since Hello Rockview and will easily stand tall with their older material (yes, seriously).

Kolchak
May 3, 2006

If I don't tell this story now, I don't think I ever will.
I'm with you on that one. I am so surprised at how much I'm loving this thing so far. It sounds great, and I'm not even that big of a ska fan (yeah, so why am I here?). It's so consistently catchy and fun. And fast! Songs like "This One's Gonna Leave a Bruise" have more energy in one verse than the last couple records combined (and, hell, I liked "Anthem"!). Now I'm glad I preordered that coloured vinyl.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003

Kolchak posted:

I'm with you on that one. I am so surprised at how much I'm loving this thing so far. It sounds great, and I'm not even that big of a ska fan (yeah, so why am I here?). It's so consistently catchy and fun. And fast! Songs like "This One's Gonna Leave a Bruise" have more energy in one verse than the last couple records combined (and, hell, I liked "Anthem"!). Now I'm glad I preordered that coloured vinyl.

That song reads like a sequel to "Plastic Cup Politics". Amazing.

Casual Male XL Fan
May 26, 2008

I like a Hot Dog.

Casual Male XL Fan fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 24, 2010

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
My only complaint about the new LTJ album is that City of Gainsville is about a minute or two too short. They're the first to admit when they release a sub-par album, so I hope they've all invented back-patting machines for themselves, because goddamn.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finally got my answer too. Scott Klopfenstein performs trumpet on GNV FLA. Nice.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
Speaking of Scott Klopfenstein, guess who's playing the whole Warped Tour? Reel Big Fish! Guess who gets a 30 minute set? Reel Big Fish! Guess who gets a 1 hour 30 minute set? ANGELS AND loving AIRWAVES.

I'm so loving mad right now.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

mix.lunar posted:

Speaking of Scott Klopfenstein, guess who's playing the whole Warped Tour? Reel Big Fish! Guess who gets a 30 minute set? Reel Big Fish! Guess who gets a 1 hour 30 minute set? ANGELS AND loving AIRWAVES.

I'm so loving mad right now.

Unless they changed something that I'm not aware of, all bands play for twenty minutes unless one of them win an 'extended play' of ten minutes.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Sugar Blaster posted:

My only complaint about the new LTJ album is that City of Gainsville is about a minute or two too short. They're the first to admit when they release a sub-par album, so I hope they've all invented back-patting machines for themselves, because goddamn.

City of Gainesville is still a fantastic song though, on my first few listens it's sticking out as my favorite.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
According to RBF, they have a half-hour set. Also, even if it's just a 20 minute set, I know they'll come back out and do more. I just have a burning hatred of them. I don't know why.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

mix.lunar posted:

According to RBF, they have a half-hour set. Also, even if it's just a 20 minute set, I know they'll come back out and do more. I just have a burning hatred of them. I don't know why.

It may be 30 minutes instead of 20, but every band does play for the same amount of time besides the one that wins the extended play.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Listened to GNV FLA about 4 times now, and there isn't a song I don't like. LTJ has really turned around in my eyes.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

mix.lunar posted:

Reel big fish plays more than 30 minutes of music at a show? Cut out the jokes, and that's about it.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

While waiting for GNV FLA, I've been listening to State Radio - Us Against The Crown a lot. It's not really ska, as Dispatch wasn't really ska.

It's Chad of Dispatch's band.

Live recroding of a song off it, Gunship Politico http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F87nQrFfaZY&feature=related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

TLG James posted:

Reel big fish plays more than 30 minutes of music at a show? Cut out the jokes, and that's about it.

Hey now, S.R. by itself goes on for at least forty five minutes.