Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

mix.lunar posted:

Speaking of Scott Klopfenstein, guess who's playing the whole Warped Tour? Reel Big Fish! Guess who gets a 30 minute set? Reel Big Fish! Guess who gets a 1 hour 30 minute set? ANGELS AND loving AIRWAVES.

I'm so loving mad right now.

Where did you hear this from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

seventeen posted:

Where did you hear this from?

I'm curious too. Every warped I have been to everyone gets 20 minutes except the guys who win the extra 10 minute thing. Hell they even cut LTJ off one year for going over, and they were the last band of the day to play.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

jetgrindeggy posted:

Hey now, S.R. by itself goes on for at least forty five minutes.

The version on their live album is only 9:19. They could play this, Beer and where have you been and be out of time.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo

I guess the Murphys and the Bosstones added a few more dates to their tour and they are now playing in my town! Tickets still available for Sterling Heights, MI; Columbia, MD (outside Baltimore); and Sayreville, NJ.

I just bought tickets, I'm super excited now. And the Less Than Jake/Goldfinger concert next Monday. This is a great year for shows for me. :) I'm going to the Maryland Murphys/Bosstones show, if anyone else from the area is attending.

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

mix.lunar posted:

Speaking of Scott Klopfenstein, guess who's playing the whole Warped Tour? Reel Big Fish! Guess who gets a 30 minute set? Reel Big Fish! Guess who gets a 1 hour 30 minute set? ANGELS AND loving AIRWAVES.

I'm so loving mad right now.
The first (and last) time I ever went to Warped Tour, we showed up at like 2 when we thought things were going to start, looked at the schedule, and found out that Reel Big Fish (one of the only bands I wanted to see at the time) had played at like noon, well before anyone else on the schedule.

The clear lesson here is not to go to Warped Tour.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

TLG James posted:

The version on their live album is only 9:19. They could play this, Beer and where have you been and be out of time.

Their 30 minute set would just add Sell Out and Take On Me. 5 songs in half an hour.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Popoi posted:

The first (and last) time I ever went to Warped Tour, we showed up at like 2 when we thought things were going to start, looked at the schedule, and found out that Reel Big Fish (one of the only bands I wanted to see at the time) had played at like noon, well before anyone else on the schedule.

The clear lesson here is not to go to Warped Tour.

Or, you know, show up when they let people in to be sure not to miss the bands you want to see.

Midget Gems
Dec 31, 2007
I hear they have the internet on computers these days
I've just recently got into ska; shame on me, I know. I'm a UK goon and not only was I unable to get tickets to LTJ, I also see I've recently missed Streetlight. :smith:
Can anyone recommend me some good shows coming up in the UK (south)?

On a similar note, can someone recommend me some new bands to listen to? I've got the entire LTJ catalogue and almost all RBF. Currently downloading some Mustard Plug and Bosstones, TMT also sounded very good.

Also, Somewhere In The Between might just be the best album I have ever heard.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
It looks like the Slackers and the Pietasters are doing a tour in the UK in late June and early July, that'd be worth checking out. The Slackers are a really amazing live band. The Pietasters used to be really amazing but they've gone way downhill, you might catch them on a good night though. There aren't too many UK bands I know about but I've heard a lot of good things about Sonic Boom Six. I didn't really care for the stuff on their myspace but they're worth checking out. There's also a band that somebody posted they were in a while ago (sorry I don't remember their name) called the Lockup that are pretty awesome. I was gonna suggest Howards Alias as well but turns out they just broke up. Check out those bands myspaces/websites for their tour dates, and it looks like https://www.moonskaworld.com shows a lot of the big tours coming around.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Midget Gems posted:

On a similar note, can someone recommend me some new bands to listen to? I've got the entire LTJ catalogue and almost all RBF. Currently downloading some Mustard Plug and Bosstones, TMT also sounded very good.
There's lots more, but a few to start you off, with album recommendations:

Buck-O-Nine - Twenty-Eight Teeth
Mad Caddies - Quality Softcore
Big D and the Kids' Table - try either Good-Luck or Strictly Rude

And yes, I too am in love with Somewhere In The Between.

Unrelated: I finally picked up the Bosstones' A Jacknife To A Swan last night and I am really enjoying it.

guppy fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 15, 2008

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Midget Gems posted:

I've just recently got into ska; shame on me, I know. I'm a UK goon and not only was I unable to get tickets to LTJ, I also see I've recently missed Streetlight. :smith:

The Hippo's first 2 albums.

Five Iron Frenzy

Midget Gems
Dec 31, 2007
I hear they have the internet on computers these days
Seems the Slackers are in London on July 4th. However, I'm at shows on both the 2nd and 3rd already, so I don't know if I can do three nights in a row, especially with it still being term time for me. Their sound wasn't too bad though, a bit more reggae and less punk, which isn't exactly my favourite.

guppy posted:

There's lots more, but a few to start you off, with album recommendations:

Buck-O-Nine - Twenty-Eight Teeth
Mad Caddies - Quality Softcore
Big D and the Kids' Table - try either Good-Luck or Strictly Rude

Unrelated: I finally picked up the Bosstones' A Jacknife To A Swan last night and I am really enjoying it.

Just listened to 3 Bosstones albums, and I'm pleased to say I didn't dislike a single song. Was, overall, very good. Although, jackknife has actually grabbed me the least out of them all.

I'll work on some Mad Caddies and Big D next.

guppy posted:

And yes, I too am in love with Somewhere In The Between.

Seriously, I have a solo project about to start up, which is pretty much a more depressing version of Death Cab For Cutie (I'll put some up when the E.P. is done). But this album makes me just want start up a whole new band with brass blaring out everywhere and just jam packed full of "fun". :banjo:
I only hope that, one day, I'll have the chance to chant Mephisto's Cafe in a room full of happy dancing people. :3:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Midget Gems posted:

I'd also recommend all of the Aquabats stuff and MU330.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Midget Gems posted:

You should check out the Arrogant Sons Of Bitches. Really good ska-core from Long Island. Their MySpace has mostly live tracks and rarities, but there are some quality live videos on YouTube:

Rocketrocketrocketship
Sorry We Steal
So Let's Go Nowhere (actual music video)

Also, ASOB's lead singer, bassist and drummer are all at the core of Bomb the Music Industry!, who you have no excuse not to listen to. All their albums are free to download and chock full of ska, punk, synth and horns. For the uninitiated, I'd start with their latest record, 'Get Warmer' and work your way back.

dragoonz
Mar 1, 2006
into unborn photographs

Loud About Loathing posted:

You should check out the Arrogant Sons Of Bitches. Really good ska-core from Long Island. Their MySpace has mostly live tracks and rarities, but there are some quality live videos on YouTube:

Rocketrocketrocketship
Sorry We Steal

It's great how in the Youtube descriptions it tells you where to get the full thing:

quote:

I found this video on their official bootleg site, https://www.snevesneve.com/asob/

And personally out of all the live videos, this one is probably the coolest. Which is also on the bootleg site.

And I'm feeling happy so a little less redundancy for this post:
http://www.snevesneve.com/btmi/

The Hidden Sherpa
Dec 25, 2006

Like that UK goon, i've only recently gotten into ska. The only things I have is the RBF discography, a Toasters album, and the Madness gold collection.

From my experience, I can firmly say that new school is way better than old school :colbert: . My problem is that the only new school band I know of is Reel Big Fish. I need more ska! It is killing me!

dragoonz
Mar 1, 2006
into unborn photographs

The Hidden Sherpa posted:

Like that UK goon, i've only recently gotten into ska. The only things I have is the RBF discography, a Toasters album, and the Madness gold collection.

From my experience, I can firmly say that new school is way better than old school :colbert: . My problem is that the only new school band I know of is Reel Big Fish. I need more ska! It is killing me!

For simple free-to-download stuff:
http://quoteunquoterecords.com/btmi.php
http://www.purevolume.com/wearetheunion/albums/99308127
& the two links I just posted.
Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution used to offer their music for free, doesn't look like that's the case anymore.

You can always search youtube for stuff out of this list.

Edit: Forgot to mention, there's always this.

gently caress it, while I'm here:
Anyone up for an Audiosurf challenge? Pick a ska band/song and I'll try to kick your asses at it.

Aaaand I was trying to tabulate Rocketrocketrocketship a few months ago for trombone, having absolutely no ear at all, I resorted to trying to actually learn from videos, here's what I have:
code:
Figure 1 
4 3  3  4 5 ~ 3  4  3  3  4
G Eb Eb G Gb  Ab G
Not much I know, but can anyone help?

dragoonz fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jun 16, 2008

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

LTJ's new album is okay, on par with Anthem I'd say. And you're also all neglecting to mention Borders and Boundaries just as good as Losing Streak if not better. :colbert:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

The Hidden Sherpa posted:

Lucky for you, pretty much everyone under the age of 18 shares this wrong opinion so you should have no problem finding more bands.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Now now let's not start this argument. We don't want to ruin our peaceful happy Ska thread.

If you like RBF you should check out Mustard Plug, The Taj Motel Trio, Big D and the Kids Table, Buck-O-Nine, and The Planet Smashers. And uh, many others but this seems like a good start.

Streetlight Manifesto isn't as RBF-ish but they're still amazing and you should make sure to check them out.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Streetlight Manifesto is the best ska band to come out in the last 10 years :colbert:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm finding myself agreeing more and more.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Streetlight Manifesto is the best ska band to come out in the last 10 years :colbert:

I agree that Streetlight is an amazing band, and definitely my favorite band at the moment. Possibly for eternity. But sometimes you need to kick back and listen to the crazy random whacky Ska!

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I am truly amazed they are not way more popular than they are.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Z.S. Ghost posted:

It's going to happen at some point. A band that talented that works as hard as they do is going to get noticed. Kalnoky is starting to write songs that are a little more accessable, it could just be a matter of if they want to take it that way.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Z.S. Ghost posted:

I think their fanbase is still growing. And as it is, the only two ska bands with more drawing power at the moment are RBF and LTJ. The real way I know they're catching on is that their shows also actually draw an over-21 crowd, which is really hard for a ska band. I saw them two times on the last tour in Philly and Chicago (I was in town on business), and I was pleasantly surprised by the turnout. And constantly disappointed that no one knew who Dan Potthast was :(

weekly font posted:

LTJ's new album is okay, on par with Anthem I'd say. And you're also all neglecting to mention Borders and Boundaries just as good as Losing Streak if not better.

Whoa whoa whoa. I love Borders and Boundaries, but it's no Losing Streak, even if I'd rank it second. But I'm loving the new album. I've been listening pretty much non-stop since Friday. I've been describing it as a coherent amalgamation of all their previous albums. Although, I'm now starting to think of it as a more coherent, better produced, more horns having version of B is for B-sides. Which is a good thing. I'm also glad to know that I'm not the only one to go overboard and order both the limited edition vinyl with art print and the CD/t-shirt.

Backno posted:

So random question...is anyone here looking at going to ska weekend this year, and if so whould anyone be interested in splitting a hotel room for the night after the show?

I always keep thinking about going, but unless they're not done revealing the line-up, it's not quite enough to get me to travel all the way to loving Knoxville.

The Hippos keep getting brought up, and I just wanted to mention that I finally found a copy of Forget The World. I got interested in them in high school, mostly through "Please" being on Mailorder is Fun! and "Far Behind" being on Where's The Beef? To put how long I've been looking in context, I did see a copy of it in The Wall in the mall, but it was 18 bucks. "18 bucks, that's ridiculous, I can find it for cheaper!" And I never saw it again, and never thought to try mailorder until after it was OOP. I travel a lot for my job, and one of my main hobbies is browsing used CD stores, so I've been looking heavily for over 2 years now. So imagine my shock when I walk into a store I had only been in like a month prior in Tucson, AZ and flipped the "HI" tab forward to see it sitting there. After looking for almost 9 years (NINE!), I almost screamed in joy. All that said, I still think Heads Are Gonna Roll is a better album.

The only problem is now I have my holy grail. I need a new CD to fuel my CD browsing. I found Jeffries' Fan Club's Nothing to Prove about a year ago, and I'm struggling to think of another hard to find ska CD, although the Impossibles Anthology is a possibility. Any suggestions? I'm thinking along the lines of Spring Heeled Jack, Edna's Goldfish, mid-90's ska-punk that's OOP. Or does anyone else have a CD they've never been able to find?

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
Other bands to check out if you want something a little different:
Fatter Than Albert: http://www.myspace.com/fatterthanalbert
They are just a great group of guys in general.

Hub City Stompers: http://www.myspace.com/hubcitystompers

Deal's Gone Bad: http://www.myspace.com/dealsgonebad
More of soul/traditional influenced ska

or if you want something really really different and are a fan of jazz,
Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra:
Ska Me Crazy- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJZgUpzqAyY
Down Beat Stomp- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cgXxkBxxrg
Theme Song from Lupin the 3rd- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okvq_ShSiUw

Backno fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 17, 2008

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

WaffleZombie posted:

The only problem is now I have my holy grail. I need a new CD to fuel my CD browsing. I found Jeffries' Fan Club's Nothing to Prove about a year ago, and I'm struggling to think of another hard to find ska CD, although the Impossibles Anthology is a possibility. Any suggestions? I'm thinking along the lines of Spring Heeled Jack, Edna's Goldfish, mid-90's ska-punk that's OOP. Or does anyone else have a CD they've never been able to find?

There have been quite a few CDs that eluded me for a while, but for the most part I've managed to nab copies of them. There are a few that, despite not listening to those bands anymore, I'm really glad that I was able to get for regular (sub $15) prices, such as The Scholars - The Last Great Record of the 20th Century and The Pharmaceutical Bandits - Those drat Bandits. Then there are others that I'm afraid that I'll wear out one day, like the Moon Ska pressing of Hepcat - Out of Nowhere and See Spot - Is There Any Love in Your Ska?.

The one CD that I'd really like to acquire, though, is the Sequel release of Prince Buster - Fabulous Greatest Hits. It has such a great track listing compared to the other versions out there.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

No way. I have to give that to Westbound Train, if only because Transitions is one of the best ska albums ever recorded. I've never heard an album from Streetlight that blew me away, and I don't know if it's because the style isn't my thing or what. It grates on me a little.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Quest For Glory II posted:

No way. I have to give that to Westbound Train, if only because Transitions is one of the best ska albums ever recorded. I've never heard an album from Streetlight that blew me away, and I don't know if it's because the style isn't my thing or what. It grates on me a little.

Whaaaa? Have you ever listened to Somewhere in the Between? Its probably the most fantastic album to be released all of 2007. And isn't most of Westbound Trains stuff more reggae?

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

WaffleZombie posted:

And constantly disappointed that no one knew who Dan Potthast was :(

I'm sorry, okay??? Why must you keep rubbing this in?! At least I'm a fan of MU330 now :unsmith:

And to the guy who posted above about Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra make sure to check out their Skaravan cover. I posted it earlier but it's so amazing, especially if you find the version on youtube of them performing it live. Everyone's skanking!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

And isn't most of Westbound Trains stuff more reggae?
They're traditional ska and rocksteady. Probably one of the top Boston bands. Their music is so.. peaceful, but catchy. It's not reggae outright, though they do have a couple of very downtempo songs. On average their music generally ranges between 120bpm-160bpm.

And yeah I've heard Somewhere in the Between too. Strangely, while Big D's singer has never irritated me, I am completely turned off by Streetlight's lead singer, and the band's unrelenting 300+ bpm tempos just don't appeal to me. I know that I'm not in the majority here, but I just can't get into them at all.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 17, 2008

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

They're traditional ska and rocksteady. Probably one of the top Boston bands. Their music is so.. peaceful, but catchy. It's not reggae outright, though they do have a couple of very downtempo songs. On average their music generally ranges between 120bpm-160bpm.

And yeah I've heard Somewhere in the Between too. Strangely, while Big D's singer has never irritated me, I am completely turned off by Streetlight's lead singer, and the band's unrelenting 300+ bpm tempos just don't appeal to me. I know that I'm not in the majority here, but I just can't get into them at all.

While I agree that Westbounds stuff is very peaceful (I put it on if I ever have trouble sleeping) I can't think of a single song of theres that is catchy.

Incidently Tomas Kalnoky could sing a lullaby to me and I'd be down like a tranquilized boar.

Daddy Two-Coats
Jul 11, 2006

I AM HULKING UP
I just picked up The Taj Motel Trio's new album, Part of the Problem. It's pretty good (at least the first half is, before it turns into a series of songs about the same ex-girlfriend), but they're a cool band from my local area and I just thought I'd drop the name because I didn't see them on the band list. I'm discovering a lot of great new stuff through this thread, keep em coming!

SinSalvador
Dec 27, 2007
With a lot of people requesting bands, I'd like to recommend Leningrad again. It's Russian ska-punk from St. Petersburg, blending a beautiful horn-section with vodka-driven chaos and raging, frenzied vocals. For some of their older, darker stuff, I'd recommend Dachniki, and for some of their newer, more upbeat and fun, I'd recommend WWW. Both can be heard on their Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/leningradxxx

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Sandwolf posted:

Whaaaa? Have you ever listened to Somewhere in the Between? Its probably the most fantastic album to be released all of 2007. And isn't most of Westbound Trains stuff more reggae?

Is this really what people think actual ska is? Reggae? :pwn:

Also, saw a mention of Prince Buster up in here. That's what I"m talking about. He's one of the last remaining legends.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

While I do enjoy Westbound Train, I could never say I like them more than SM.

And going from Whole Wheat Bread -> Westbound Train -> Streetlight Manifesto didn't work at all on that tour. And the crowd wasn't into Westbound at all, which really sucked. I unfortunately didn't know about them prior to that show, wish I did.

I wouldn't listen to WBT when I'm in the same "mood" to listen to SM.

And yes Transitions is very good. The bass on that album sounds so warm, I really don't know what they did, but it's amazing sounding.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Daddy Two-Coats posted:

I just picked up The Taj Motel Trio's new album, Part of the Problem. It's pretty good (at least the first half is, before it turns into a series of songs about the same ex-girlfriend), but they're a cool band from my local area and I just thought I'd drop the name because I didn't see them on the band list. I'm discovering a lot of great new stuff through this thread, keep em coming!
I love that album. I mention this every time they come up -- Josh Wow of SA plays in that band :)

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Daddy Two-Coats posted:

If you're anywhere near Atlanta we're playing with Less Than Jake, Mustard Plug and the Suburban Legends this Friday at the Masquerade which will obviously be a kickass show. We're playing first so if you come out make sure to show up early enough to catch our set. And the last half of the album only has 3 songs about girls :colbert:

Also if anybody out there still hasn't heard Part of the Problem you can stream it for free at http://www.tajmoteltrio.com/part-of-the-problem.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

WaffleZombie posted:

I found the Impossibles Anthology in my local record store for $5. Still probably the best music purchase I've ever made. But if you're trying to find another 'Holy Grail' record, start looking for 'Age of Insects' by the Skandalous All-Stars. They're a NYC ska supergroup led by Vic Ruggiero of the Slackers that play trad ska with American folk, bluegrass and country elements. The only reason that I have it is because my college's radio station has a copy.