Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Me too really. There's more a lot more to punk than just music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
This weekend I beat up six straight-edge meatheads, dug up Subhumans' Worlds Apart, Richard Hell's Blank Generation and Severed Head of State's Anathema Device LPs, got entirely too little sleep and saw a great psychedelic rock band with punk roots from Portland called Purple Rhinestone Eagle. Also, I prefer the Ramones to the Sex Pistols.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Grigori Rasputin posted:

Also, I prefer the Ramones to the Sex Pistols.

As you should! Favorite album?

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
I dunno, I have a soft spot for Pleasant Dreams, but everything that comes before that is 100% solid. Mania does a good job of collecting the later songs that are worth a drat - Bonzo Goes to Bitburg, Psycho Therapy, Warthog, Somebody Put Something in my Drink, Outsider, Animal Boy, etc.

"We came across a miracle - there was beer in the soda machine!"

edit: End of the Century isn't 100% solid maybe, but I like it still - Rock and Roll Radio, Chinese Rocks, Rock and Roll High School.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

MattWPBS posted:

Being honest, I prefer seeing more arguments about stuff like this rather than just:

For the most part I do too, but it seems that arguments regarding straight edge tend to devolve into poo poo storms incredibly quickly.

I think we need some band tattoo discussions/pictures in here. I currently have a Comadre tattoo and I'm almost done with a Champion piece on my chest. Also currently working on concepts for Allegiance and Funeral Diner tattoos. I'll put up pictures soonish.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Grigori Rasputin posted:

Richard Hell's Blank Generation

I've looked around, but do you have any suggestions for albums similar to this?

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
Yeah, it's been awhile but let me drudge up my memory...

Dead Boys (Night of the Living + Young, Loud and Snotty)
New York Dolls (S/T)
Johnny Thunders (LAMF)
Buzzcocks
Vibrators
The Gears (S/T)

Maybe the Undertones too...

BRAIN HANDLE
Jun 8, 2005
servant to the red and blue, the green, yellow and white

rivals posted:

tattoos

I got a Bomb The Music Industry! tattoo, and I think I'm going to get a Defiance, Ohio tattoo. Mostly because I'm an idiot.

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

zeldadude posted:

Set Your Goals, Stick to Your Guns if you like them.. pretty much it.

No love for ETID? I guess it's not that cool to like them anymore but drat their live show kicks rear end every time.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The Kodan Armada: Another band I should have been loving for years.

punxnbutter
May 22, 2007

Nonsense is better than no sense at all

BRAIN HANDLE posted:

I got a Bomb The Music Industry! tattoo, and I think I'm going to get a Defiance, Ohio tattoo. Mostly because I'm an idiot.

I wouldn't do it unless one band member has died.

I'm kicking around the idea of a black arm band with the germs circle. Doubt I'll do that when I have other stuff to do that isn't band related though.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

Inspector_71 posted:

The Kodan Armada: Another band I should have been loving for years.

You're only about 4 years too late to hop on the Kodan Armada train. But that's okay.

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.

punxnbutter posted:

I'm kicking around the idea of a black arm band with the germs circle. Doubt I'll do that when I have other stuff to do that isn't band related though.

That sounds like a drat good idea. I've not got any tatts yet, but I've paid for my first one already, just need to figure out when I'm getting it done. It's going to be seven stars (not nautical stars) - one on each shoulder, three across the belt line on my back, back of left knee and back of right ankle. So it's the Orion constellation.

Who actually puts on gigs anyhow?

A Boring Story
Mar 27, 2008

We're not going to Catalina, are we?

BRAIN HANDLE posted:

Just out of curiosity, what's your BTMI tattoo? I love BTMI and I've been considering getting one myself.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

albro posted:

You're only about 4 years too late to hop on the Kodan Armada train. But that's okay.

Yeah I know :(

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Chicago is hosting ClitFest this year, confirmed bands:

Barren
Bromance
Carnal Knowledge
Cojoba
Condenada
Daylight Robbery
Eunich
Krunchies
Pandamonium
Red Threat
Religious SS Disorder
Sangre de AbajoSecuracore
Sick Fix
Witch Hunt
The Brat
+more?

Friday Aug 15 & 16 @ the Galaxie, 2603 West Barry
http://www.myspace.com/chicagoclitfest
http://www.freewebs.com/chicagoclitfest

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
This is Hell / Blacklisted tonight, loving stoked.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Not an Anthem posted:

Barren
Bromance
Carnal Knowledge
Cojoba
Condenada
Daylight Robbery
Eunich
Krunchies
Pandamonium
Red Threat
Religious SS Disorder
Sick Fix
Witch Hunt
The Brat
+more?

I'm seriously considering going, but my problem is that I'm on the west coast. I've checked train tickets and it's over $200 one way. If I can find an economical way to get there, I'm going.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Dudefest starts Friday. Who's going other than me and ddonahue99?

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000

Not an Anthem posted:

Barren
Bromance
Carnal Knowledge
Cojoba
Condenada
Daylight Robbery
Eunich
Krunchies
Pandamonium
Red Threat
Religious SS Disorder
Sick Fix
Witch Hunt
The Brat
+more?

Condenada is great, I saw them in May - Their drummer absolutely rips.

Seeing a bunch of bands this weekend: Earth, Spires, Pygmy Lush, Jesus loving Christ and a pile more.

Specific
Aug 14, 2003

I am going to jump on your face, and now some serious dancin'...

rivals posted:

Dudefest starts Friday. Who's going other than me and ddonahue99?

You guys are riding in my car. Also, Transistor Transistor had to cancel their tour on account of illness.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Specific posted:

Also, Transistor Transistor had to cancel their tour on account of illness.

This makes me feel a little bit better about not being able to make it to either of their NY dates.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Specific posted:

Also, Transistor Transistor had to cancel their tour on account of illness.

Yeah, my buddy just told me. Total bummer considering this was probably the band I was looking forward to the most.

Steve Beans
Jan 3, 2004

For anyone who wants to experience the Asian Man Tour without actually going, The Muse, a venue in Nashville, is broadcasting it live right now. Kepi's on now, Andrew Jackson Jihad is next, followed by Bomb the Music Industry!, Lemuria, and then the Queers.

http://www.stickam.com/themuselive

BRAIN HANDLE
Jun 8, 2005
servant to the red and blue, the green, yellow and white

A Boring Story posted:

Just out of curiosity, what's your BTMI tattoo? I love BTMI and I've been considering getting one myself.

Sorry for the lovely cellphone picture!

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Parachute Underwear posted:

So Blacklisted is banned from Canada and couldn't make it tonight. :smith:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

So Blacklisted is banned from Canada and couldn't make it tonight. :smith:

Given their name, this is hilarious.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

Given their name, this is hilarious.

Haha, I know, but I've been waiting for about 3 weeks for this show. It's pretty much a dry-spell right now for good shows.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Saw them both play Saturday at a record store. TIH joked about not being able to cross the border. Good show, no one was really into it though.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
No Way Fest 2 is this weekend. Who is coming? I can't wait.

ddonahue99
Dec 29, 2003
[witty title goes here]

Specific posted:

You guys are riding in my car. Also, Transistor Transistor had to cancel their tour on account of illness.

Steve actually posted! Just a couple more days until rock.

ScottyD
Jan 17, 2002

by angerbeet
The Brave Little Abacus
http://www.myspace.com/thebravelittleabacus

One of the most annoying bands I've heard in a while. BUT they manage to be so catchy, so full of energy, so in love with what they're making, and so completely infectious that you almost immediately will start embracing all their annoying poo poo as part of the fun of this stuff. I'm pretty sure these kids are like 17 years old, but their songwriting downright blows my mind, letting all sorts of influences in from Cap'n Jazz to the Flaming Lips to Yes to HORSE the Band. Just some really great stuff here, and I think they deserve a bigger audience then they have.

Go listen NOW.

ScottyD fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 18, 2008

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Is Agent Orange still worth seeing? They're coming to philly soon and I might go if they aren't total poo poo these days

Rock Strongo
Dec 24, 2004

"It's said he killed a dragon once...but not this time"
Theres a new Trash Talk MP3 up on their myspace, you can also preorder the album now.

Iniquitous
May 21, 2001
I POST
BEFORE
I THINK

Several people on the .org said it was like Crimson Part 2. Take that for what it's worth.
Yes and no. There's less synth, for what it's worth. I think it comes closest to the songwriting they had on their split with One Man Army.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Kevar posted:

Saw them both play Saturday at a record store. TIH joked about not being able to cross the border. Good show, no one was really into it though.

Seems like if this is hell is attached to a show at least one of the bands won't be able to make it cross the border.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Rock Strongo posted:

Theres a new Trash Talk MP3 up on their myspace, you can also preorder the album now.

Yeah, if you preorder it you get a limited edition shirt. I'm definitely getting that poo poo.

Song is loving amazing too.

Killing the Dream/Ruiner/The Carrier in a couple days. Holy gently caress.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

Wizard Mannequin posted:

Is Agent Orange still worth seeing? They're coming to philly soon and I might go if they aren't total poo poo these days

Definitely not worth it. They were a huge letdown when I saw them

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Looks like I'm going to ClitFest with my 46 year old landlady/surrogate mother. While this would seem pretty lame, she's hardcore as hell and is trying to get us a free place to stay. I can't loving wait, it looks like an awesome festival and I loving love going to punk shows with my landlady. Nothing is cooler than a lady who's been a punk since 197something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

The new Rudimentary Peni is loving amazing.