Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

While I do enjoy Westbound Train, I could never say I like them more than SM.

And going from Whole Wheat Bread -> Westbound Train -> Streetlight Manifesto didn't work at all on that tour. And the crowd wasn't into Westbound at all, which really sucked. I unfortunately didn't know about them prior to that show, wish I did.
That does not sound like a very smart pairing. WBT shouldn't be going on tour with the ska equivalent of drinking upwards of 10 lattes. They should tour with a band like the Slackers or Deal's Gone Bad. If they're gonna tour with any kind of uptempo band they should roll with the Toasters. In fact, they have!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dZhnJINlZg

e: Traditional ska is not boring, by the way. For me, bands whose horn lines consist of nothing but dotted eighth notes and who have the same chord progression in every song are boring. Bands like The Super Pineapples are boring. Not traditional ska. Not to say that I hate third wave or anything, that's far from the truth. But there's more out there than skapunk.

That wasn't a criticism of Streetlight either, just a criticism of like, 90% of third wave ska bands.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 17, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

Z.S. Ghost posted:

I am truly amazed they are not way more popular than they are.
I'm not. Tomas takes forever with everything he does, makes promises he can't or chooses to not keep and seems to go out of his way to avoid publicity for the band. I love them to death, but they're never going to expand beyond their core fanbase because it seems at times like they have no inclination to do so.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007
Ah yeah good old ska. I don't listen to much ska anymore, was more of a fan in jr. high and high school. But I had the privilege to see Johnny Socko a few times (they used to come to Fort Collins, CO all the time, then one day they just stopped *sigh*). Also got to see Five Iron Frenzy's last show ever which was just so cool. They were my favorite band back in the day so to see their last show was really special.

Still listen to Mad Caddies every once in a while. Have some stuff by The Scofflaws, The Slackers, The Pilfers, Goldfinger, and some others but I mostly just keep them around for nostalgia's sake

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Mangue posted:

Ah yeah good old ska. I don't listen to much ska anymore, was more of a fan in jr. high and high school. But I had the privilege to see Johnny Socko a few times (they used to come to Fort Collins, CO all the time, then one day they just stopped *sigh*).

Johnny Socko is great stuff if you can find it.... Full Trucker Effect is one of my favorite albums

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Quest For Glory II posted:

That does not sound like a very smart pairing. WBT shouldn't be going on tour with the ska equivalent of drinking upwards of 10 lattes. They should tour with a band like the Slackers or Deal's Gone Bad. If they're gonna tour with any kind of uptempo band they should roll with the Toasters. In fact, they have!

e: Traditional ska is not boring, by the way. For me, bands whose horn lines consist of nothing but dotted eighth notes and who have the same chord progression in every song are boring. Bands like The Super Pineapples are boring. Not traditional ska. Not to say that I hate third wave or anything, that's far from the truth. But there's more out there than skapunk.

No, I never said WBT was boring.

But that tour lineup didn't fit at all :( The current tour of Don Potthast -> Zox -> SM works much better, despite Zox having little ska influences.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Backno posted:

Johnny Socko is great stuff if you can find it.... Full Trucker Effect is one of my favorite albums
Amazon MP3 has it and several others.

I swear, I don't work for them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

No, I never said WBT was boring.
I didn't mean you, I was referring to the other guy who was implying WBT puts him to sleep.

vvvvvvvv If you don't mind generic-as-all-hell horn lines, check out Mustard Plug's latest album, it's actually got some decent hooks to it.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 18, 2008

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I saw Less than Jake for the 6th time tonight and their setlist was pretty bad but I was really impressed by Mustard Plug opening for them. They are way better than I expected, even though they're pretty generic.

Suburban Legends were pretty cool too but most of that was the novelty that they dance a lot during their shows.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Mustard Plug is one of the best live bands I've seen in the past couple years. They put on a killer show and always have a great setlist, it helps that their new album is amazing. I'm so pumped to see them Friday.

Also I forgot to put this up earlier but there's a pretty decent video of Taj playing at the Tampa Ska Fest on our recent Florida tour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tQINsZaBCw

There are more live videos from pretty much every band that played that night if you click on the guy that uploaded its profile. Make sure to check out the video for Paranoia Dance Party! since I don't think they have a myspace or anything recorded yet but they're an awesome Hardcore-Disco-Ska-Punk band. Sounds dumb but it's really cool and they did a bitchin cover of I will survive. Other bands that were at the ska fest that were really good and probably do have a myspace were the Brentford Sound, Angry Banana (although their myspace stuff isn't killer, their new album is gonna be), and Skuff'd Shoes. Also if you guys haven't checked out the Duppies from Gainesville they're killer actual ska ska. There you go, that's my recommendations for small ska bands from Florida or that recently played in Florida.

Josh Wow fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 18, 2008

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

BackInTheUSSR posted:

I saw Less than Jake for the 6th time tonight and their setlist was pretty bad but I was really impressed by Mustard Plug opening for them. They are way better than I expected, even though they're pretty generic.

Suburban Legends were pretty cool too but most of that was the novelty that they dance a lot during their shows.

Since it's raining all night at the Ft. Lauderdale show, I'm trying to skip Suburban Legends. I've been to quite a few LTJ shows, but nothing has stood up to their Florida Friends tour. That was loving amazing, and I'll never forget those concerts. 2hr 30min+ of playing each night.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?
I've been listening to stuff like Goldfinger, Less Than Jake and Reel Big Fish for a long time now, and I even own Catch-22's recording of "Keasbey Nights", but I really fell out of the loop over the past few years. After reading this thread a few days ago I happened to be in HMV looking for something new, nothing in particular, and I noticed they had Streetlight Manifesto's "Somewhere in the Between" album. So I bought it figuring I'd give it a whirl. Hey, I liked Catch-22 and these guys were getting lots of praise from the people posting in here, it can't be too bad right?

Holy poo poo, it's amazing.

Anyways this is basically a thanks to everyone who talked about this band because otherwise I would've never even known that they existed.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Is anyone going to the 7/29 Rx Bandits show at the Ottobar in Baltimore? I'd like to go, but none of my friends are interested.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

These aren't new but I haven't seen them until just now, I heard Thomas did horrible playing solo at Bamboozle but I didn't realize there were videos online:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QAXvTJGwnVI&feature=related

That's definitely the worst one and it's really bad. Most of the other ones I watched he didn't screw up too much but he wasn't singing very well at all. I think he should just stick to near screaming like he normally does live.

A Boring Story
Mar 27, 2008

We're not going to Catalina, are we?
He fucks up pretty bad in that video, but at least he somewhat manages to save face. He makes it funny instead of embarrassing.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Thomas has a horrible, horrible singing voice. But when you add it to the guitar and horns of Streetlight it's excellent. But on it's own, it's quite bad. Stick to a full band dude, no more acoustic poo poo.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
I personally like Thomas' voice. I liked his acoustic set, but yea, he screwed up a lot and told the audience that he was looking at them for lyrics. Actually he walked over to his band mates on the side and asked them what the next lyric was multiple times. That being said, it is Kalnoky and he was probably doing that just to gently caress around.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Midget Gems posted:

I've just recently got into ska; shame on me, I know. I'm a UK goon and not only was I unable to get tickets to LTJ, I also see I've recently missed Streetlight. :smith:
Can anyone recommend me some good shows coming up in the UK (south)?

I'm not up on what shows are coming up soon.. however I can recommend a truckload of UK ska bands for you.

Lightyear - Now split up, excellent frantic ska-punk, their album was called Call of the Weasel Clan. I'm not sure if it's still available anywhere, I'll try and find out.

Capdown - Excellent band, combining ska, reggae, dub, jazz, and harcore punk influences. Albums are Civil Disobedients and Pound for the Sound. I'm not sure what they're up to these days.

Definitely currently active bands:

Sonic Boom Six
- http://www.myspace.com/sonicboomsix - Very diverse ska punk, give them a listen.

Smoke Like a Fish
- http://www.myspace.com/officialsmokelikeafish

Dirty Revolution - Are awesome. http://www.myspace.com/dirtyrevolution

Catch it Kebabs - http://www.myspace.com/catchitkebabs - Great guys, excellent party band. Ska punk with swing influences.

The Lockup - http://www.myspace.com/thelockup - MY BAND. Old school two-tone ska, dub and reggae with a touch of punk.

The Brass Monkeys
- MY OLD BAND. Ska punk with a bit of rock/metal. We've split but still do the occasional gig for a laugh. Excuse the myspace, our semi-literate trombonist wrote it. Oh, and some our songs are crap, but some are good.

A lot of these bands (including us) are on Do The Dog records: http://www.dothedog.com/
And you can probably find a lot of their CDs at http://www.riotrecords.co.uk/ and http://www.punkermentality.com/

Check the myspaces for shows. The ska scene grew quite a bit in the days of Lighyear and Capdown but seems to have dropped off again in the last few years. There are a lot of gigs, bu they're quite small scale. Still poo poo-hot though. Whereabouts in the UK are you?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Chipyy posted:

Capdown - Excellent band, combining ska, reggae, dub, jazz, and harcore punk influences. Albums are Civil Disobedients and Pound for the Sound. I'm not sure what they're up to these days.
Nothing. They've broken up. :(

At least they put out their best album and one of my favorites from 2007, Wind Up Toys, before doing so.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Suburban Legends were pretty bad. Their best song was seriously Under the Sea, and I liked some of their earlier stuff. When their last song wasn't actually the last song, the crowd booed them, which was kind of lame.

I'm not a big fan of Mustard Plug, but they were alright. They did two covers, both of which I liked better than all of their original music.

But I went to see Less Than Jake. It was quite a good show, but the crowd sucked balls. They actually went back and replayed the breakdown in The Ghosts of Me and You because the crowd sucked so bad. When Chris asked the crowd if they would rather see LTJ on the Shout it Loud tour or Warped, Warped got more cheers :psyduck: After that Vinnie spammed the Price is Right "loss" sound for about 30 seconds.

lovely picture because I accidentally left my phone on SMS picture mode :shobon:

And Buddy never fails to amaze me in how much energy he has.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Suburban Legends were pretty bad. Their best song was seriously Under the Sea, and I liked some of their earlier stuff. When their last song wasn't actually the last song, the crowd booed them, which was kind of lame.

But I went to see Less Than Jake. It was quite a good show, but the crowd sucked balls. They actually went back and replayed the breakdown in The Ghosts of Me and You because the crowd sucked so bad. When Chris asked the crowd if they would rather see LTJ on the Shout it Loud tour or Warped, Warped got more cheers :psyduck: After that Vinnie spammed the Price is Right "loss" sound for about 30 seconds.

Wow I've never been to an LTJ show but if a majority of their fans are like this gently caress them(the fans, not LTJ)

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
They're not. That crowd sounds awful.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I've never been to an LTJ show where the crowd was anything but amazing, but I'll admit they've all been in NYC. I wonder if they'll sell out the Roseland like last summer. That was the 2nd biggest show I'd ever been to, after blink-182.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Quest For Glory II posted:

Nothing. They've broken up. :(

At least they put out their best album and one of my favorites from 2007, Wind Up Toys, before doing so.

Yeah, I thought that might be the case. Still, I haven't heard that album, so I'll just pretend it's new. :unsmith:

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
Thought I'd post this here, as my friend's band have finally managed to get a decent studio/mixer for their EP. They're only ~17 but I genuinely really like their music, although I may be slightly biased. Thoughts?

http://www.myspace.com/thesuitablesmusic

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

jetgrindeggy posted:

I've never been to an LTJ show where the crowd was anything but amazing, but I'll admit they've all been in NYC. I wonder if they'll sell out the Roseland like last summer. That was the 2nd biggest show I'd ever been to, after blink-182.

I've never been to a LTJ show with a crap crowd either. And I'm in Florida to boot, what the hell?

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
SECharger73 hates sad reminders :[

I've never been to a LTJ show with a crap crowd either. And I'm in Florida to boot, what the hell?

Even the crowds here in Tallahassee for LTJ shows are good! They're nothing compared to the Gainesville crowds, but still. The crowds know every word to every song and it's like a party with your closest friends.

I'm really bummed that I missed them at Janus Landing, but I think hearing GNV FLA songs live for the first time in Gainesville (when they add a date eventually) is going to be pure magic.

SpeedoJoe
Feb 23, 2006
I just discovered Common Rider.

They were good it seems. :(

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Joseph posted:

I just discovered Common Rider.

They were good it seems. :(

Yeah, Common Rider were one of the most criminally underappreciated bands out there. You'd think that a band with that pedigree would have been huge, but they just made two amazing records and kind of faded away.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Less Than Jake put on the best show I think I've ever seen from them. I pretty much only really like their first 3 records (well I think the new one is good too) and they played 10-12 songs off the first 3. Near the end they just kept cranking out old songs, it was killer. Mustard Plug put on an awesome show too, as usual. Suburban Legends were kind of crappy. They didn't sound too bad and they played better songs than on the last Streetlight tour but it just wasn't working for me. Overall it was a killer show though and if you have a chance to go I definitely would.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I was listening to GNV FLA, and does anyone else find it weird that in the song, City Of Gainesville, one of the lyrics are "I may be going broke but I’m never broken down"

Considering "The Science of Selling yourself short" is exactly that.

Then again, it seems like on every single album they've had in the last few years, there is at least one song about leaving town.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

TLG James posted:

I was listening to GNV FLA, and does anyone else find it weird that in the song, City Of Gainesville, one of the lyrics are "I may be going broke but I’m never broken down"

Then again, it seems like on every single album they've had in the last few years, there is at least one song about leaving town.

A friend and I were talking about how most of LTJ's output can be described by the sentence, "Gee, I really don't like where I live."

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003

Loud About Loathing posted:

A friend and I were talking about how most of LTJ's output can be described by the sentence, "Gee, I really don't like where I live."

It's really ironic considering how much Vinnie loving loves Gainesville.

Check out the UK bonus track off GNV FLA, "Antidote for the Underdog". Part of it goes

Condition: My small town
Prognosis: Let's get out

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Back from LTJ/Goldfinger show, that was fun as hell, lovely mixing was my only real complaint, and Jesus gently caress I'm tired and I'm gonna go collapse now.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
Vinnie loves Gainesville yet hates it. I saw them play at UF last year and they were really into it, but talked about how boring Gainesville was and how there were so many rednecks. It's weird. Especially since there is nothing about Gainesville to like.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

TLG James posted:

I thought the science was one of the few songs not written by Vinnie. IIRC, Roger wrote that.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

BackInTheUSSR posted:

Vinnie loves Gainesville yet hates it. I saw them play at UF last year and they were really into it, but talked about how boring Gainesville was and how there were so many rednecks. It's weird. Especially since there is nothing about Gainesville to like.

Well, it being their (I don't know if they all came from there, not really up to scratch on my LTJ history) hometown, they probably like it a little. I like my hometown even though it's a cesspool of convicts, drug addicts, and drug dealers. No idea why I still like it, I just do.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

In other news I'm pretty stoked to see LTJ Wednesday. I know everybody here hates Suburban Legends, but I love them for what they are. I however do not like how screwed bands touring Boston are going to be.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Okay, I'm no longer completely dead, so I can give a better rundown now.

Generally - The show was a blast but suffered from shite mixing, which often made it hard to hear the vocalists and sometimes even some of the instruments.

Suburban Legends - Didn't know them at all. Their schtick is kind of silly but they clearly know it and are out to have fun with it. I'd have enjoyed it a lot more if I could hear the singer. Their trumpet player especially was having a blast and it was very cool.

Westbound Train - Very good but not a good choice for this tour. Way more traditional ska than the other three, which is fine and all but it's not what most of the crowd came to see. Still, I thought they were really good and I'm gonna look into their albums.

Goldfinger - loving great, stole the show even. A ton of fun and very energetic. And, uh, a bit of a stunt with a Twinkie. You'll see.

Less Than Jake - Very good but poorly mixed. Quite a long set and I was about ready to collapse by the end of it. Vinnie complained (correctly) that the crowd was tired by the time they got out because there were too many bands on the tour. Some really great stuff, I never thought in a million years they'd play "How's My Driving, Doug Hastings?" which is one of my favorites. Other highlights: "Sugar In Your Gas Tank," "Last One Out Of Liberty City." Really, the only song they didn't play that I really wanted to hear was "Scott Farcas Takes It On The Chin." Could have done without the crowdsurfer being dropped on my head, but no big deal.

Also, GNV FLA is out today :) Bought it off Amazon MP3 this morning. Very good, much better than the last couple. Standout track is clearly "Does The Lion City Still Roar?" but there's a lot of great stuff on it.

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003

BackInTheUSSR posted:

I was at this show! I drove down from Tallahassee for it. It was pretty awesome! Gainesville shows are always the best. I'm so glad I lived there during high school.

I got my copies of GNV FLA in the mail yesterday. I picked up the CD with the "I [heart] GNV ROCK CITY" shirt (which is awesome, the design takes up the entire front of the shirt) and also the limited edition 180g vinyl LP, which is also awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

guppy posted:

LTJ concert

This is making me psyched as hell for Friday when I see them at Lupos