Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stan Baniszewski
Jul 3, 2007

Popcorn posted:

Next question: where do I start with Cocteau Twins?

Absolutely "Head over heels" (1983) and "Treasure" (1984). Then move forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Baniszewski
Jul 3, 2007

Angiepants posted:

The Replacements!

"Let it be" and "Tim" are probably their best stuff, but don't miss "Hootenanny", "Sorry ma" and "Pleased to meet me".

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

SubtleDagger posted:

Infidel?/Castro!'s "Bioentropic Damage Fractal", Behold... the Arctopus, old The Dillinger Escape Plan (everything before Miss Machine), PsyOpus's "Ideas of Reference", Wolf Eyes, Orthrelm and Ocrilim are definitely all things you should check out.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm familiar with Behold... the Arctopus and enjoy them. I see Infidel?/Castro! is related to Dysrythmia, who I have also heard. I've heard a little of Dillinger Escape Plan but not enough to form an opinion. I'll give them a better listen as well. And I've only heard mention of Wolf Eyes. The others are new to me but I'll be checking them out for sure.

The Bacon God
Oct 20, 2007

Himmelschreibende
Herzen

sky-writing hearts
A question inspired by some music documentaries: Where should I start with pre-Zaireeka Flaming Lips, Daniel Johnston, and The Butthole Surfers? And is Zaireeka worth all the trouble?

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
Where do I start with Foetus? What about Coil? What about really anything industrial? I'm a huge fan of Nine Inch Nails but I've never really explored the genre at all.

funkcroquet
Nov 29, 2004

1000 umbrellas posted:

What about Coil?

Just start at the beginning, with 'Scatology' and 'Horse Rotorvator.'

quote:

What about really anything industrial? I'm a huge fan of Nine Inch Nails but I've never really explored the genre at all.

do you like these?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCX6KvfIovU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8klW9trVTQ

if so, get the albums they are on - 'Zeichnungen des Patienten O. T.' and '20 Jazz Funk Greats', respectively.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

The Bacon God posted:

A question inspired by some music documentaries: Where should I start with pre-Zaireeka Flaming Lips, Daniel Johnston, and The Butthole Surfers? And is Zaireeka worth all the trouble?

For the Lips, get Clouds Taste Metallic, Transmissions From the Satellite Heart, and In A Priest Driven Ambulance. That goes backwards chronologically (skipping Hit to Death in the Futurehead, which is one I never really got into) and will make the transition into their earlier stuff easier. If you're still diggin' it by the time you get to Priest Driven Ambulance, you can move onto Hear It Is, Oh My Gawd!!! and Telepathic Surgery. Not must-haves (maybe except OMG!!!) but great albums if you're into the Lips.

Zaireeka doesn't really have any songs that stand out to me; it was worth the price to fill out my collection, and a lot of its charm is working out the kinks and finally getting it right on 4 different stereos (which I've only done once, which is probably why I don't remember the majority of the songs). I cheated and ripped all 4 discs once and then played them simultaneously on the computer, and it's definitely a major difference (i.e. stick to the 4 stereos; it's fun!).

1000 umbrellas fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 21, 2008

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

1000 umbrellas posted:

What about Coil?

First off, to anyone here who doesn't know what Coil is, give them a shot. Their influence is extremely wide: when I played a friend of mine a Coil song ("Teenage Lightning (10th Birthday Version)") and made him guess the band, he first guessed Tortoise and then Boards of Canada. That should tell you something (and it's not that he doesn't know music, he was music director at a radio station).

I'm going to disagree with the other guy and say Scatology is a horrible place to start as it's maybe their worst album, not counting crappy outtakes albums (however, holy poo poo, their cover of "Tainted Love" which appears on some issues is amazing). Love's Secret Domain is probably their most accessible album (one review I read: "No! Coil are dance fags!"), but not nearly their best. Because there are so many different phases (ha ha) of Coil, I think you need three albums to really see if you like the band:
  • One of them is Horse Rotorvator as the other guy said. This is from their early, late 80s, most industrial-sounding period (see "The Anal Staircase" and "Penetralia"). However, even here, there is world music ("Babylero"), ballads (the "Who By Fire" cover, "Ostia"), spoken word scariness ("Blood From The Air"... the most frightening song I have heard because of the noise-and-children-screaming sound collage at 2:08 after "Death here's my friend, he's promised me a quick end" and before "the world is in pain and should be put down, and God is a sadist, and that he knows it"), and a bunch of other stuff. And "The First Five Minutes After Death" is one of the most breathtaking songs I've ever heard. This is the only album to scare me by itself, with no visuals and the lights on.
  • You also need Musick to Play in the Dark, Vol. 1 from the mid 90s. At this time, they were playing around with synths and seeing what they could do in the semi-modern electronic realm. "Red Birds Will Fly Out of the East and Destroy Paris in a Night" is a 15-minute epic inspired by Rubycon by Tangerine Dream, and it's great. "Are You Shivering?" and "Red Queen" are drunken sad and creepy ramblings, and "The Dreamer is Still Asleep" is an amazing swan song, and the backmasked vocals make it utterly chilling.
  • Finally, to see where they were at the end of the band, get their last album, The Ape of Naples. At this point they're more like meditative poetry with marimbas than anything else. This album is one of their most solid, there are only a few throwaway songs (basically just "It's In My Blood"), and lots of great tracks (particularly "Tattooed Man", "Triple Sun", and "Teenage Lightning 2005", which is maybe my favorite Coil track... "Fire Of The Mind", "I Don't Get It", and "Amber Rain" are not slouches either, and somehow with "Going Up" they covered the Are You Being Served? theme and made it sad and touching; you never think you'll be affected by a chick wailing the sections of a department store but you are..)
If you're still around after those three, try some live Coil. I recommend ...and the Ambulance Died in His Arms and Black Antlers, the first for the absolutely immense quarter-hour versions of "Triple Sun" and "The Dreamer is Still Asleep", and the second for the fantastic version of "Teenage Lightning" and the great "Sex With Sun Ra".

Sorry, Coil are sort of becoming my favorite band.

Side note: if you do like Scatology, other 80s industrial to look at includes Cabaret Voltaire and Zoviet France, and of course Psychic TV and Throbbing Gristle (Peter Christopherson, half of Coil, was in both of those bands).

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

If these guys do their job I might have my eyes back in as soon as Monday.

Popcorn posted:

Right, more help needed. Where do I start with Donovan (I really like the song 'Colours' but don't really know anything else except for Mellow Yellow) and The Fall?

I started with Hex Enduction Hour and that got me well and truly addicted. From there try their other 80's releases, then 90's and so on. Mark E. Smith's solo career is pretty difficult to like straight off the bat.

Pheener
Jun 7, 2003

Extraordinary!
Believe it or not, where do I start with Metallica? I've never been one for metal, though I can't honestly say I've given it a good try, and as cliche as Metallica is, I've never really heard them. The only exception is the occasional radio play (which is rare on the classic rock stations I listen to) and a few trips with friends.

Stan Baniszewski
Jul 3, 2007

1000 umbrellas posted:

Where do I start with Foetus?

"Hole" and "Nail" are unquestionably his masterpieces.
They are both credited to "Scraping Foetus off the Wheel".

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830

Pheener posted:

Believe it or not, where do I start with Metallica? I've never been one for metal, though I can't honestly say I've given it a good try, and as cliche as Metallica is, I've never really heard them. The only exception is the occasional radio play (which is rare on the classic rock stations I listen to) and a few trips with friends.

Considering you've never heard much from them, and haven't been much for metal, then I'd say the Black album (the self-titled one) would be pretty accessible. It's the album that was most radio-friendly (up to that point) and the one where most non-Metallica fans have heard and enjoyed.

That's pretty much a good dividing point for the band. From there, you can either go chronologically backwards to their more thrashier and heavier stuff or push forward and head into the "country hard rock" phase which isn't nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. (Load and Reload)

Two very goods ones are Garage Inc which consists of cover songs from their earlier influences and S&M which was a live concert they did with the San Francisco Symphony. You may not think that Metallica and symphonic music mesh together very well, but it sounds surprisingly great and you should definitely give it a listen.

Despite having a completely open mind about them, you'll still probably want to skip St. Anger.

Stan Baniszewski
Jul 3, 2007

The Bacon God posted:

A question inspired by some music documentaries: Where should I start with pre-Zaireeka Flaming Lips, Daniel Johnston, and The Butthole Surfers?

Daniel Johnston:
- "Early Recordings Vol.1" (reissue of two of his first works, "Songs of Pain" + "More Songs of Pain")
- "Hi, How Are You"
- "Yip / Jump Music"
- "Fear yourself"

Maybe start with the last, which is more accessible.

The Butthole Surfers:
"Psychic... powerless", then "Rembrandt Pussyhorse", then the eponymous EP, then "Locust abortion technician", then "Hairway to Steven".
Avoid their latest stuff.

Flaming Lips:
"In a Priest Driven Ambulance"... "Transmission from the Satellite Heart"... "Telepathic Surgery"... "Hit to Death in the Future Head"...
They are all great albums, if you ask me, even the earlier ones.

The Bacon God posted:

And is Zaireeka worth all the trouble?

It's an interesting experiment, but I wouldn't recommend buying it.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

19charactersorless. posted:

I started with Hex Enduction Hour and that got me well and truly addicted. From there try their other 80's releases, then 90's and so on. Mark E. Smith's solo career is pretty difficult to like straight off the bat.

I'd say This Nations Saving Grace would be another great place to start. But I started with Hex Enduction Hour as well, though its not one of my favorites. I may not have given more of the Fall a listen if I started with something else.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Billy Gnosis posted:

I'd say This Nations Saving Grace would be another great place to start. But I started with Hex Enduction Hour as well, though its not one of my favorites. I may not have given more of the Fall a listen if I started with something else.

I'm not really the kind who would just recommend a greatest hits collection but the 50,000 fall fans can't be wrong collection is really great, and since they have like 30 albums out it's not like you're gonna be 'ruining' the albums the way some best of's do. Otherwise I would say The Wonderful and Frightening World of the Fall is probably the most representative of their type of sound, This Nation's Saving Grace is pretty similar and came right after...I started with The Real New Fall LP and absolutely loved it, and still think it's one of their best

JAMOOOL fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 21, 2008

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Speaking of The Fall, I also started off with the aforementioned best-of. If you like songs from a certain part of the album, find out which album they're on and buy the corresponding CD. For example, I liked "The Classical" and "Hip Priest" the most, so I bought "Hex Enduction Hour" next. If you like the more electronic songs, you could also look at hitting up Mark E Smith's project with the people from Mouse on Mars: Von Sudenfed. It's quite good, and it got reasonable reviews on Metacritic.

BTW, anyone know how good the Fall's latest CD is? I'm thinking of buying it.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

ZakAce posted:

BTW, anyone know how good the Fall's latest CD is? I'm thinking of buying it.

It's excellent, their best in like 10 years. One of those weird and skronky Fall albums with a lot of mindless noise and less of the "pretend this is 'The Classical'" drums that have been prevalent for the last few albums.

Mr. Pharmacist
May 20, 2008

Der Kommissar posted:

I'm not really the kind who would just recommend a greatest hits collection but the 50,000 fall fans can't be wrong collection is really great, and since they have like 30 albums out it's not like you're gonna be 'ruining' the albums the way some best of's do. Otherwise I would say The Wonderful and Frightening World of the Fall is probably the most representative of their type of sound, This Nation's Saving Grace is pretty similar and came right after...I started with The Real New Fall LP and absolutely loved it, and still think it's one of their best

Agreed, the 50,000 Fall Fans comp is really good, it's how I got into them.

Where do I start with Amon Duul/Amon Duul II?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
What do I do with Sun City Girls? I've already got (and really enjoy) Torch of the Mystics and 330,003 Crossdressers from Beyond the Rig Veda. From what I've been reading, I should get Dante's Disneyland Inferno next. Am I on the right track? What should I do after that?

Same question, only about Muslimgauze. I absolutely love Gun Aramaic. Hussein Mahmood Jeeb Tehar Gass has a bunch of good tracks. I also have Uzi (The Rape of Palestine) and Blue Mosque but haven't listened to them as much. What's next?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Oncogene posted:

Considering you've never heard much from them, and haven't been much for metal, then I'd say the Black album (the self-titled one) would be pretty accessible. It's the album that was most radio-friendly (up to that point) and the one where most non-Metallica fans have heard and enjoyed.

That's pretty much a good dividing point for the band. From there, you can either go chronologically backwards to their more thrashier and heavier stuff or push forward and head into the "country hard rock" phase which isn't nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. (Load and Reload)

Two very goods ones are Garage Inc which consists of cover songs from their earlier influences and S&M which was a live concert they did with the San Francisco Symphony. You may not think that Metallica and symphonic music mesh together very well, but it sounds surprisingly great and you should definitely give it a listen.

Despite having a completely open mind about them, you'll still probably want to skip St. Anger.

This is good advice. The only thing I can had is that Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets are generally considered to be Metallica's best work, so if you're interested in early Metallica, check one of those out. I prefer Ride the Lightning, but I'd guess that the fans are pretty evenly split between those two.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Scythe posted:

What do I do with Sun City Girls? I've already got (and really enjoy) Torch of the Mystics and 330,003 Crossdressers from Beyond the Rig Veda. From what I've been reading, I should get Dante's Disneyland Inferno next. Am I on the right track? What should I do after that?

A lot of Disneyland Inferno is spoken word bullshit, you might want to skip it for now. I'd go for the self-titled, Grotto of Miracles and then maybe some of the imaginary film score poo poo like Juggernaut and Piasa.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Mr. Pharmacist posted:

Agreed, the 50,000 Fall Fans comp is really good, it's how I got into them.

Where do I start with Amon Duul/Amon Duul II?

I've heard some of the Amon Duul I stuff, it didn't really interest me, but I do think Amon Duul II is pretty great. Their first three albums and their fifth (Wolf City) are generally considered to be the sweet spot. Of those I'd say Yeti is probably the one you want - it's a double, with the first album containing a lot of great song-based material, and the second containing improvised jams. Kind of reminds me of Tago Mago in that way. If you don't like the album in the first 5 minutes this probably won't be the band for you. After that Tanz Der Lemminge is another great one - it's kind of based off three sidelongs but the first two on mine are broken up into a bunch of different tracks. There's lots of great guitar work, they almost sound like Zeppelin in spots.

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

you cant have it, you dont have nuff teef to chew it

Ekplixi posted:

Where do I start with rap? I really like female MCs like Mary J. Blige and Lil Mama. I'm digging Mary's "Growing Pains" and Lil Mama's "Voice of the Young People". Not sure where to go from here.

Some good old school has already been mentioned, but if you want some more recent stuff you've got Lupe Fiasco's albums, Tha Carter, King, Illmatic, and NERD's Seeing Sounds, MF DOOM's DANGERDOOM and Madvillainy.

WET BUTT
Mar 11, 2005

Scythe posted:

Forget reading allmusic for reccs for Sun City Girls, it's pretty much worthless and they've barely reviewed anytihng. Dante's Disneyland Inferno is fairly boring, especially after those first two records you listed. What a great time to ask about this, though: they just put out a new singles collection called You're Never Alone With A Cigarette and it's one of the best things I've ever heard by them. After that, now:

Horse Cock Phepner for the best of their earlier stuff and a generally hilarious Fugs-like experience throughout.
Hi Asia/Low Pacific is their most eastern influenced work. I don't think there's any guitar on Hi Asia besides a couple of parts and most of it is replaced by shamisen and I think tambura and crazy stuff like that. That's not a bad thing at all.
Grotto of Miracles and Self Titled, as mentioned by HAI, is one great pair.
Live From Planet Boomerang is their normal live album, and it's really great. Amazon One rules on here.
Sumatran Electric Chair is amazing, Jack's Creek is the hillbilly album, Kalilflower and Valentines From Malahari are like nothing else they ever did, Djinn's Funnel is good, etc. There's really so much to get. You can find most of this(alot is out of print) on music blogs, just google the titles.

For solo outings, Uncle Jim's Superstars of Greenwich Meantime is one of my favorite things to ever come out of anything SCG related and Sir Richard Bishop's 2007 combo is really potent.

Even more, If you want to dive deeper into SCG Torch-era sounding stuff check out the Neokarma Jooklo Trio for some shaman music madness. And I've been enjoying Jin Hi Kim's Komungo work, which definitely reminds me of Richard Bishop, it's really inspiring if you're into harmonics and timbres in psychedelia and all that.

I hope all this helps. Enjoy one of the best bands of the past 20 years. I heard they threw Charles Gocher's ashes on the crowd when they played Manhattan the other day..

WET BUTT fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 22, 2008

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.
Where do I start with M.I.A.? After hearing Paper Planes, I have pretty much been listening to this song non-stop. I would love to find some more stuff from her or even something similar sounding to Paper Planes from another band as I haven't really heard anything that has sounded like it before.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

insomne posted:

Where do I start with M.I.A.? After hearing Paper Planes, I have pretty much been listening to this song non-stop. I would love to find some more stuff from her or even something similar sounding to Paper Planes from another band as I haven't really heard anything that has sounded like it before.

She has TWO motherfucking albums, and Paper Planes is on Kala. Is that really too loving hard to Google?

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

If these guys do their job I might have my eyes back in as soon as Monday.

HAI posted:

She has TWO motherfucking albums, and Paper Planes is on Kala. Is that really too loving hard to Google?

Dude, he also asked for other bands with a similar style. Jesus, it's only the internet: you don't need to answer his question.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

I'm wondering how to appreciate popular contemporary country because so far it's not clicking. I've tried a few recommendations from friends such as Brad Paisley, Trace Adkins, and a few others but they all seem to only have two types of songs. They either make a serious ballad or they write more upbeat but superficial songs like "Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off". The former is fine and all but the direct, matter-of-fact lyrical approach seems so simple as to render it almost boring. The latter category, at least to me, so far sounds like nothing but gimmicks and novelty songs; something teenage girls might sing along to in their car. The actual instrumentation tends to be better but it still sounds subdued. There's a few moments that have caught my attention but the majority of the time it seems the instrumental melodies are leashed-in and they don't seem to go anywhere interesting.

I can easily enjoy older country, especially some of the older guys like Hank Jr., Waylon Jennings and Kenny Rogers. With a few exceptions, radio music was always a bit on the safe side but I assumed there would be some standouts I would enjoy in pop-country. Are my initial impressions too narrow and there are artists out there who do more interesting song-writing or is this type of music just not for me? It may just be the case that the music is just too big of a contrast to what I normally listen to(80's and 90's alt/indie rock), and that contrast is diminishing what I'm hearing. I am aware of a sub-genre called alternative country but at this point I'd like to focus on mainstream acts if possible. I know this music is astonishingly popular and while I can usually appreciate most pop music on at least a superficial basis, the popular country I've listened to so far seems uninspired, dispassionate, and much of it borders on being trite.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

insomne posted:

Check out her first album, Arular. She also has a collaboration with Diplo called Piracy Funds Terorrism, but it's just remixes and one or two B-sides.

The only other person I can think of that is similar to M.I.A. in terms of sound and style is Santogold. I think she only has one album, her self-titled.

Hope that helps!

Biscuit!
Jul 20, 2007

Scythe posted:

Same question, only about Muslimgauze. I absolutely love Gun Aramaic. Hussein Mahmood Jeeb Tehar Gass has a bunch of good tracks. I also have Uzi (The Rape of Palestine) and Blue Mosque but haven't listened to them as much. What's next?

Dante's Disneyland Inferno is one of my favorite albums of all time, but you should be prepared for some very experimental stuff. There is less music than the other albums, but I thoroughly enjoy much of the spoken word parts. More than half of it is music though and it's a two disc album.

WET BUTT posted:

I hope all this helps. Enjoy one of the best bands of the past 20 years. I heard they threw Charles Gocher's ashes on the crowd when they played Manhattan the other day..

I was in the front row at the LA show and got his ashes on me. It was the best show I've ever been to.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

Jive One posted:

I'm wondering how to appreciate popular contemporary country because so far it's not clicking. I've tried a few recommendations from friends such as Brad Paisley, Trace Adkins, and a few others but they all seem to only have two types of songs. They either make a serious ballad or they write more upbeat but superficial songs like "Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off". The former is fine and all but the direct, matter-of-fact lyrical approach seems so simple as to render it almost boring. The latter category, at least to me, so far sounds like nothing but gimmicks and novelty songs; something teenage girls might sing along to in their car. The actual instrumentation tends to be better but it still sounds subdued. There's a few moments that have caught my attention but the majority of the time it seems the instrumental melodies are leashed-in and they don't seem to go anywhere interesting.

I can easily enjoy older country, especially some of the older guys like Hank Jr., Waylon Jennings and Kenny Rogers. With a few exceptions, radio music was always a bit on the safe side but I assumed there would be some standouts I would enjoy in pop-country. Are my initial impressions too narrow and there are artists out there who do more interesting song-writing or is this type of music just not for me? It may just be the case that the music is just too big of a contrast to what I normally listen to(80's and 90's alt/indie rock), and that contrast is diminishing what I'm hearing. I am aware of a sub-genre called alternative country but at this point I'd like to focus on mainstream acts if possible. I know this music is astonishingly popular and while I can usually appreciate most pop music on at least a superficial basis, the popular country I've listened to so far seems uninspired, dispassionate, and much of it borders on being trite.

Gary Allan.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Biscuit! posted:

Dante's Disneyland Inferno is one of my favorite albums of all time, but you should be prepared for some very experimental stuff. There is less music than the other albums, but I thoroughly enjoy much of the spoken word parts. More than half of it is music though and it's a two disc album.

I'm cool with experimental stuff---I do an experimental music radio show. In fact, the radio station I work at has a ton of SCG so I'm just going to listen to everything that's been mentioned here and see which I like best.

Biscuit! posted:

I was in the front row at the LA show and got his ashes on me. It was the best show I've ever been to.

This just pushed me over the edge to go see them tomorrow night. Hopefully it rules (also hopefully ticketweb isn't lying to me and I can still get a seat)!

Scythe fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 23, 2008

Biscuit!
Jul 20, 2007

Scythe posted:

This just pushed me over the edge to go see them tomorrow night. Hopefully it rules (also hopefully ticketweb isn't lying to me and I can still get a seat)!

They didn't do anything too crazy except for the ashes, but the set list was phenomenal and they played very well. I'm a very big fan, so I was just happy they played all my favorite songs. The video experiments Grocher did that they played were pretty interesting too.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cyT_nHmMrQ the ending of this song is amazing

Biscuit! fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 24, 2008

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
gently caress, it got asked about 15 posts ago.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Angiepants posted:

Gary Allan.

I've listened to a few songs and so far it's fantastic stuff. I also listened to some of the deeper-cuts from albums by the artists I was talking about and I've enjoyed those as well. Slowly but surely I'm starting to really dig the music and I'm beginning to notice the same qualities I like so much in blues and gospel.

It's also interesting that I share a few of the views sung in some of the topical songs, for example on celebrities, reality tv, etc. It's very cool to see satire and even some anti-consumerism so prevalent and I feel a bit guilty for stereotyping the genre for so long.

BIG SAD
Oct 26, 2006

Are you trying to Garfunkel me?
I didn't see this asked about yet, so where do I start with Pavement?

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

BIG SAD posted:

I didn't see this asked about yet, so where do I start with Pavement?
I would say without a doubt Crooked Rain is the easiest to get into and arguably their best.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
I think Brighten The Corners is pretty accessible too, it's the only album of theirs where I enjoy every song. Also it has Shady Lane which is the song that got me and I'm guessing alot of other people into the band.

On second thoughts I'd probably stick with Crooked Rain, but skip to Gold Soundz and Range Life first.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yes, when I want to get into a band and want to hear an album, the first thing I do is skip to the middle and end of the album instead of listening to the entire thing!

Crooked Rain is a really swift listen too, what the hell are you thinking? When people ask you for movie recommendations do you tell them to skip to scenes 13 and 17 and forget the rest of the movie?

Anyway, Terror Twilight is a really underrated album with some of their best, most polished stuff.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 1, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS
I've recently been getting into a lot of stoner/doom/sludge metal (whatever the gently caress they call it I don't even know) like Electric Wizard, Bongzilla, Sleep and Cathedral's early stuff. Electric Wizard's Dopethrone in particular I feel very strongly about. What are some other bands and/or albums I should check out?

Sirius Sam fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 1, 2008