Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Citizen Dildoe
Jan 28, 2003

BattleSitar Galactica
The wife and I went through Arrested Development in a few weeks and loved it. I can't believe it took me this long to see the show, it lived up to everything I ever read about it. I could start watching it back at season one again and laugh just as hard in spots.

We are now working through The Sopranos and just started season three last night. We are enjoying it so far, and it's not as 'mobster' heavy as I thought it would be. There is a complex and real family behind every action which was a nice surprise because you begin to really get involved with some of the harder decisions that the characters make. We also enjoy living vicariously through New Jersey gangsters from our suburban home.

After that the next series on our plate will be The Wire, which I'm sure I'll love based on what I've read around TV IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rhyno posted:

That's kind of funny. The last time I tried watching the Wire I made it to the third episode before turning to my ex and saying "This is the most overrated bullshit I've ever seen." and turned it off. I guess I'll have to give it another shake.

I got to episode 7 before giving up. Maybe I'm a simpleton for preferring the grandeur and high production of shows like Rome and Deadwood but what can I say? The Wire was boring.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 24, 2008

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Just finishing up Early Edition season 4, the last season. Great series. After that I'll be re-watching Friday Night Lights again. I guess I'm just in Kyle Chandler mode :iiam:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Hattori Hanzo posted:

I'm about six episodes into Journeyman on hulu, and am surprised how much I'm enjoying it. Too bad there's only a few left, but so far, it's a really well done show.

The last few episodes are great, and it's real the shame cause the finale is fantastic and showed real promise.

For those who have given up on the Wire I understand completely where you're coming from but it's really one of those where it demands your complete attention. When I was watching the first episode for the second time since finishing the series I picked up on so much stuff that you 'miss/disregard' the first time around.

My brother (now halfway through season 3) after the first few episodes just said, "What the hell... nothing happened!" While it does seem like that- A LOT is actually happening it's just not noticed. There is no 'main character', and everyone has importance. After finishing season 2, he started to warm up more to the series, calling the finale to season 2 "very satisfying".

Currently I'm watching Murder One and while it's by no means fantastic, and has a real '90's' look to it, it's not that bad. Plus I love a TV show with a season long story arc.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 days!
Doctor Who. Just finished watching David Tennant's first season as the Doctor (series 2), and am now rewatching Christopher Eccleston's run (series 1). That's not counting the occasional "classic DW" episode from the 60s, 70s or 80s thrown in here and there.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?

courtney_beth posted:

Netflix is a godsend for these types of things. Finally decided to get into the new Doctor Who - almost done with Season Three. Decided to watch it after seeing the first season of Torchwood. I had no idea the series were related until a friend told me I'd watched it out of order and felt foolish.

After I finish the last disc of Doctor Who 3 I'll be getting into Deadwood. It seems that watching TV on DVD is the only way to do it. Commercial breaks seem irritating now, as do the mid-season breaks. Now I can just jam through it in a couple of sittings.

I hope you don't mine me asking but what do you think of Torchwood compared to Doctor Who? I know what everyone in the Dr Who thread thinks but I'd like to see what you think having seen Torchwood first.

For me I just discovered that Netflix has old Dr Who episodes so I may finally break down and join. I watched the first season of Dexter and the first new season of Who both in two nights total, it was great.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Mu Zeta posted:

I got to episode 7 before giving up. Maybe I'm a simpleton for preferring the grandeur and high production of shows like Rome and Deadwood but what can I say? The Wire was boring.

Some people just prefer being entertained without having to invest the time and mental resources necessary as if they were reading a complex novel. There's nothing wrong with it. It's just people are wired different ways when it comes to mediums of entertainment. I'll likely never read novelists like Kellerman or Stephen King or Dan Baldacci just because I don't care for the types of books they write. It doesn't mean I don't like reading. I just don't care to read their stuff.

Tiborax
Jun 15, 2008

Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf?

EC posted:

My wife and I did that twice. Finally we finished the third ep and something clicked and we looked at each other and went oh shiiiiiiiiit. The rest of the series is solid as hell.

I need to go back and rewatch the opening eps to see exactly why it causes that reaction, though.

That's kind of how I got hooked on Lost.

I was just watching, fairly interested, and then Locke started chucking knifes around, and talking about how to kill a wild boar with your bare hands. That's probably when I decided to watch the next three seasons :D

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I was a horror-obsessed 14 year old nerd in 1996, and how I didn't watch Buffy religiously when it was on is beyond me. Been binging on it for awhile now.

Druck
Jul 25, 2002

"That's some kinda nice."
Six Feet Under, I'm on Season 5 and don't want it to end. It's so different and weird that I just can't stop watching it!

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
The first show I ever binged on was Dead Like Me. Still love that show.

Then it was Dexter which is still one of my favorite shows.

Now its the Wire and gently caress is this show good. Ive just finished season 4 and goddamn I just cant get enough. Its such a comprehensive look at how a city functions between law and crime. And Ill be damned if Omar isnt the greatest character ever.

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power
I've already Conquered The Wire, Oz, Sopranos, Buffy, Lost (to it's current point) and I'm Finishing up Angel now (Only season five because it's the only one I never saw). And after angel I think I'm going to go with Arrested Development and Heroes.

The wire for me Seasons 1, 3, and 4 where my favorites. Season 2 I didn't like the whole docks angle so much not that it ruined the series for me, I actually saw season 3 first, so when I went back sooooo much was filled in for me. Great show.

I'm not sure where to go other then Arrested Development and Heroes though. Any suggestion. I'm unemployed so this is pretty much all I got in between video games and sending out resumes it's been a rough.... five days? Haha.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?

DeanSykes posted:

I'm not sure where to go other then Arrested Development and Heroes though. Any suggestion. I'm unemployed so this is pretty much all I got in between video games and sending out resumes it's been a rough.... five days? Haha.

I don't know how you feel about scifi but if you like the camp of Buffy then SG1 gets entertaining. And it's done (or will be very soon depending on if the latest direct to tv movie counts) so you don't have any huge clifhangers. I would recommend BSG also, but you have to be ok with stuff in space, it turns some people off. However that one isn't done and the rest won't be shown till next year, so keep that in mind.

How I met Your Mother is great especially as Willow keeps trying to see how many old Buffy people she can get to guest star. Also, keeping in the Angel theme I find Bones entertaining. The science is out there but I just pretend that Angel shansued (sp??) and is now fighting crime as an FBI agent!

Phallic Butane
Jun 11, 2008
I recently finished up with season 1 of Reaper. It started off kind of slow, but the last few episodes were great.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
I finished binging through Dexter a couple weeks ago and it's basically awesome. Also catching up with both seasons of The Venture Bros. so I can properly enjoy Season 3 and I'm a bit frustrated I didn't watch this more frequently before.

Next up I'll be starting the first season of The Wire as well as Rescue Me. Yay for DVD sales.

Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster

Bunnita posted:

Also, keeping in the Angel theme I find Bones entertaining. The science is out there but I just pretend that Angel shansued (sp??) and is now fighting crime as an FBI agent!

Isn't that what EVERY single 'Bones' viewer tell themselves in order to justify watching this show so long?

I'm eventually going to give it a try based on exactly what you said.

shabutie
Aug 19, 2005

I've been watching loads of 30 Rock recently, they're only like 20 minutes each so I can get through loads without even noticing. Not sure if the 2nd series has even been on TV over here but it's loving amazing, especially Alec Baldwin. " I like when a woman has ambition. It's like seeing a dog wearing clothes" :D

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Thanks to someone in this thread pointing out Burn Notice is now on Hulu, the last few days I've been binging on that. I hope to finish it up today and can't wait for season 2.

Fat Princess
Mar 4, 2007

bite the hand that
feeds cause it tastes
better than the food
Not quite binging, but I can (and do) rewatch Home Movies pretty much perpetually.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Anorak Revolution posted:

Isn't that what EVERY single 'Bones' viewer tell themselves in order to justify watching this show so long?

I'm eventually going to give it a try based on exactly what you said.

I like it because the character interaction is fun, the science is goofy enough to entertain and the women are hot.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Finished Wire season 1, planning to get into seasons 2 and 3 soon. Loved season 1, though.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Currently I am flying through Jeeves and Wooster. Holy hell is young Hugh Laurie delicious. I also really dig the silly English sense of humor and the Art Deco setting.

Downsides are that they recast regular characters with new actors each season and that the series is so goddamned short.

polygon_monkey
Nov 28, 2000

I'm Quadro-spazzed
on a life-glug.
Over the past two days I've been mainlining Greek. I've also started rewatching The OC. It's probably about time for the annual rewatches of The West Wing, Angel and Arrested Development.

chips
Dec 25, 2004
Mein Führer! I can walk!
I've been watching through the entire of Battlestar Galactica over the last month, great stuff. Season 3 was a bit dodgy, but it's picking up.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

My wife and I worked our way through all of Monk over a couple months, which was great. I also am just about done with The Wire. I do agree with what a lot of people have said, it does take a few episodes to settle into it's groove, but once it gets under your skin your hooked.

The one thing that bugs the hell out of me is the way the actors act drunk, it's almost absurd and annoying, way too much overacting by some of the cast. Aside from that the show is amazing and has such a full and interesting story.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Entourage. I was recommended it by a friend, fell in love with the Aquaman storyline and Ari Gold and have not looked back since.

I think that the chemistry between the entourage is absolutely bulletproof and that Kevin Dillon is one of the funniest comic actors I've ever seen. I'm now halfway through series 4 and am officially hooked.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
Went through Freaks and Geeks on nightly marathons by myself. Finished that about a month ago. I was very sad to see it finish. Been doing some Undeclared with a buddy of mine over the past couple weeks. Just finished Arrested Development and I'm hopelessly addicted. Quoting it daily, replaying the theme song, and realizing that the song "Final Countdown" is completely ruined for me from now on. I've also just started 30 Rock which is fantastic, especially Tracy Morgan's character. Unfortunately every other comedy show is so difficult after Arrested Development

desy
Dec 21, 2006

Day man,
Fighter of the Night Man
Currently Oz, Six Feet Under and The X-Files. I am currently on season 3 of Oz after starting at the end of last week, and I have to say I love it.

I have also recently rewatched all of 30 Rock, HIMYM, Peep Show and It's Always Sunny. Oh, and all of The OC & One Tree Hill DON'T JUDGE ME

gogobunny
Mar 31, 2005

going places
Currently watching Carnivale and Flight of the Conchords although I wouldn't call it a binge because it's Netflix. Really loving Carnivale. It's got such a fantastic dark tone, both story-wise and art direction-wise. Next up will be Deadwood and Rome.

DJPress
Sep 23, 2006

Lone Wolf and... Lemur?

Kruller posted:

Well I didn't want the actor to die! I spoilered it just in case someone didn't know that Franklin was a worthless twat, so they wouldn't hate him immediately, although I don't know if it's possible to not hate him.

It's laughable how wrong you are about Dr. Franklin. I wish every doctor was like him, minus some issues he has later on that I won't mention here. You're the first person I've encountered that doesn't like him. Just give him until the end of the series, and if you still hate him... well, you'll still be just as wrong.

Having said that, I just burned through Sopranos not too long ago, and it took me much less time than it should've. I also went through all three seasons of Pete and Pete from old Nickelodeon, which is a great show.

I'm currently in the beginning of the third season of That's 70's Show, which I think is pretty brilliant. I've heard terrible things about the last season, what with Topher's absence, but I still have a good chunk of episodes to go through before I get there.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Much like a lot of people in this thread, I'm currently going through The Wire. I postponed it forever simply because I got bored with Law & Order, hate other police procedurals, and couldn't imagine how good this show could possibly be. The first few episodes were good, but really didn't get my blood pumping all that much. Season two came around, and I steadily began to realize how good this show was with things such as how they could take what would normally be an annoying character like Ziggy and make him endearing. By season 3 I was head over heels in love.

The Wire might actually have trumped Six Feet Under as my favorite series ever. I'm currently in season 5 though, and its starting off a little slow, so we'll see until I finish it.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
I'm currently trying to catch up on Psych, and while I'm not that much of a fan of the episodic format show- it is quite entertaining. I like to think of it as a mix between Veronica Mars and Dexter.

Expiration Date
Jun 6, 2008
I can't remember exactly why, but I decided to watch all of the Star Trek: TNG episodes. I'm %90 sure I saw all of them back when they originally aired, but I'm mostly through the first season and now I realize why people hated the gently caress out of Wesley Crusher, and how they thought the show was pretty awful for a while. I really didn't realize that he was in EVERY loving EPISODE out of the first 20 or so and he always did some annoying rear end "hay guys I know i'm totally a kid but look at this totally smart thing I thought of that nobody else that's got a lot more experience than i do could figure out yaaaaay captain yaaaaay" poo poo. Really, I could send him out an airlock right now and it'd all be good.

I was in college with no TV for a long time when DS9 was out and then I just never got into what I saw... so I'm actually looking forward to that one at some point. I only watched the Voyager and Enterprise episodes that were on when I was working at a UPN station (I think the last season of Voyager and the first season of Enterprise, but it might have been two Enterprise and I Just stopped caring?).

Other than those... I started on Farscape and I got to the 6th episode of the 2nd season and I just couldn't keep caring about the show. Did I hit a bad spot or does it get better? They're still on the bottom of my netflix queue if I ever get through all the Trek stuff...

what else is out there as far as good sci-fi in the last 10 years that might have flown under the radar?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Expiration Date posted:

Other than those... I started on Farscape and I got to the 6th episode of the 2nd season and I just couldn't keep caring about the show. Did I hit a bad spot or does it get better? They're still on the bottom of my netflix queue if I ever get through all the Trek stuff...

what else is out there as far as good sci-fi in the last 10 years that might have flown under the radar?

If you don't like Farscape by the second season - you probably won't like it.

As far as good sci-fi - Babylon 5 comes to mind.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Jedi posted:

If you don't like Farscape by the second season - you probably won't like it.

As far as good sci-fi - Babylon 5 comes to mind.

Agreed on both counts.

If you're willing to move into anime, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex is fantastic cyberpunk.

Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster
Still binging on Six Feet Under, I just finished season 4, episode 5 (the one with David and the hitchhiker). It seems to get even more amazing. I can't believe that I purposely dismissed this series for years as looking like a total bore even after hearing about critical reviews.

This show, as well as the Wire, are so loving good that it makes me wonder what good series I've missed out because I simply never gave them a chance. I'm probably going to netflix a whole lot of stuff I've ignored in the past (West Wing, etc..)

desy
Dec 21, 2006

Day man,
Fighter of the Night Man

DJPress posted:

I'm currently in the beginning of the third season of That's 70's Show, which I think is pretty brilliant. I've heard terrible things about the last season, what with Topher's absence, but I still have a good chunk of episodes to go through before I get there.
I didn't think the last season was too bad with leo back and everything, but it was definitely not as good as the others without kelso or eric. Still pretty good if you're a big fan of the show, and provides some nice closure at the end.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm about halfway through Burn Notice now, and it's loving excellent. Everything is so slick and exciting, and the plots are just complicated enough to keep things interesting without bogging down the feel of the show. Every episode has had me saying "Holy poo poo that's awesome" at at least one point.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 26, 2008

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

desy posted:

I didn't think the last season was too bad with leo back and everything, but it was definitely not as good as the others without kelso or eric. Still pretty good if you're a big fan of the show, and provides some nice closure at the end.

The last good episode (before the final episode of season 8) is the one with the canoe in season six, season 7 kinda sucks and season 8 is just terrible. If you just skip ahead after the season 6 finale to the season 8 finale you don't miss anything of worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackjack
May 22, 2004

The World's Mightiest Puppet!
Late to the party, but I'm about half-way through the second series of Extras.

I didn't like either version of The Office, but this might top 30 Rock as the best comedy I've watched this year. The Christmas special should be a real treat.