Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Maybe it does need a recharge. It's the most likely thing for A/C not being cold.

Refrigerant doesn't really go bad, though. If you need a recharge, then you have a leak. Remember to run your A/C every once in a while to keep those seals in shape, even in winter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Maybe it does need a recharge. It's the most likely thing for A/C not being cold.

Refrigerant doesn't really go bad, though. If you need a recharge, then you have a leak. Remember to run your A/C every once in a while to keep those seals in shape, even in winter!

You can slowly lose refrigerant over time simply due to the expansion and contraction of seals; many cars will need a recharge after a decade without having an actual leak, and they'll last another decade before needing another recharge, assuming nothing fails before then.

As for temperature; I have to look it up to know the exact temperature, but Chrysler says that a properly functioning AC system should always put out ~36°F out of the vents, regardless of the outside temperature. How cool the cabin as a whole gets is what depends on the outside temperature.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*
Ok, I went and r/r the hood on the 94' YJ, did a full service, swapped the tires to bigger ones, and I've been having a hell of alot of fun on the sand near my house.

Here is a question: I've noticed that the 4x4 light on the dash stays on no matter what. All of the other electrical is trouble-free. It seems to be shifting from 2H to 4H fine, but the light doesn't go off in 2H. Any advice on how to troubleshoot this? I haven't run into this problem before.

Edit: Maybe the vacuum switch? Vacuum lines? Disconnect gear?

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 15, 2008

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Legitimate posted:

Ok, I went and r/r the hood on the 94' YJ, did a full service, swapped the tires to bigger ones, and I've been having a hell of alot of fun on the sand near my house.

Here is a question: I've noticed that the 4x4 light on the dash stays on no matter what. All of the other electrical is trouble-free. It seems to be shifting from 2H to 4H fine, but the light doesn't go off in 2H. Any advice on how to troubleshoot this? I haven't run into this problem before.

There's a sensor on the transfer case that detects what gear its in; it would be worth it to look at that.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

Legitimate posted:

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_jeep.html

FABULOUSSSSS

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Anyone have any good advice for replacing the TPS in a Cherokee? I think I fried mine running some puddles. Anyone have a link to a site with instructions?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
I've had these Sahara seats for almost a year, and they are really neat. They aren't all burny in the sun like vinyl, great styling, useful pouches on the back. But riddle me this: What the gently caress are the straps on the seat for?

They can go over the top of the seat and be used to fasten objects to the seats (or at least the upper half), and I assume that only a complete retard would use them as a restraining device.

Does anyone know what the specific intended purpose of these straps was? Are they just for looks with a little bit of odd use, or are they supposed to do a certain task really really well, as is the case with most jeep aspects?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I love old pickups. Please talk me out of buying a comanche...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Boomerjinks posted:

I've had these Sahara seats for almost a year, and they are really neat. They aren't all burny in the sun like vinyl, great styling, useful pouches on the back. But riddle me this: What the gently caress are the straps on the seat for?

They can go over the top of the seat and be used to fasten objects to the seats (or at least the upper half), and I assume that only a complete retard would use them as a restraining device.

Does anyone know what the specific intended purpose of these straps was? Are they just for looks with a little bit of odd use, or are they supposed to do a certain task really really well, as is the case with most jeep aspects?

I have no idea...what material are they? I'm trying to find something that's semi waterproof but not flesh melting, and also doesnt fade in a matter of weeks (neoprene!).

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Is the Jeep wave just for Wranglers? Because no one waves at me.

Maybe they don't know that I drive a Jeep.

It's hit or miss, I wave to everyone off road, whatever they're in a jeep or a rhino or a kid on a dirt bike.

Back before the H2/H3 days there was the "hummer wave" because the trucks were so rare, but these days I wave at other H1 owners and they either flip out and wave back or they just stare blankly. So the wave or lack of wave occurs regardless of brand.

I got the same in jeeps with my old jeep cherokee.

Tooling around the city, I don't bother, but on the trail or on a trip, I wave.

It's just people aren't ware on the "jeep wave" usually.

It also helps if your truck is scratched up and beat to hell a bit.. people know.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 18, 2008

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I do get a lot of attention from offroad guys. FJs, CUCVs, Scramblers will wave. I catch guys in lifted Cherokees staring a lot. But almost everyone in a Wrangler stares at me like I'm an idiot, regardless of garb. Riding in my friend's Wrangler, his hand was almost permanently upright saluting other drivers. It was just weird to me. He said Jeeps wave at each other, but I think he and most people seem to equate Jeep and Wrangler.

I think I'll get to my transmission and transfer case this weekend or next week when I'm out of class. I'll try to get pictures and make a guide of the chain replacement because I haven't been able to find a good illustrated guide before.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Well, I finally did it.

I traded in my '99 TJ Sport for a brand new '08 Rubi 2-door. I am in love.

(Apologies for the lovely phone pic).

First thing to come off was the top. The 3-piece Freedom Top is great. The rear part of the hard-top is much lighter than the TJ (although it is still a 2 person job to take it off). Even with the top off, I could still hear the radio! This was a shock to me since I was used to the lovely speakers in the front of my TJ that would be drowned out at about 55MPH.

Right off the bat I had to get used to the 6-speed. The first few times I went to put it in reverse, I'd end up throwing it into 6th and wonder why I was lugging forward. Whoops!

After driving around a while, I've noticed a few things. The JK is about 1000 times quieter than my TJ. They've buttoned up the shakes and rattles. Anyone with a TJ know how your full doors rattle unmercilessly over uneven terrain when the hard-top is off? No more!!

Secondly, this thing rides as if it were on a fluffy cloud. I took it out on some dirt roads yesterday and even over washboard it barely registered. Being used to the box-car ride of my TJ, this was quite a nice surprise. The Rubi comes with ESP (traction control) and i did get it to kick in a couple times flying around the gravel corners but it was only noticeable as a sudden drop in engine power (that along with applying the brake is how it reglates wheel spin). Fortunately, with a simple push of a button, the ESP can be turned off. It also turns off when in 4-Lo.

So, driving around town wasn't cutting it for me. Luckily, we're going camping next weekend and I wanted to go up and scout our camp site to see if it survived the winter.

We drove over the mountains and hit the dirt roads. I knew my Rubi wouldn't be so shiny and clean for long. Anyway, we checked out the campsite (which was still there):

and then drove up the road a bit further to check out the swimming hole:

My topless Rubi and my madre's topless TJ

I really wanted to check the trail-ratedness of my new Yeep so we went and found the trail that I found a few years ago that led to this picture of my TJ:

The odometer had about 200 miles on it when we hit the trail. It was a rocky, boulder strewn creekbed for the most part and the Rubi crawled over it like a champ. Once we got higher, we began hitting snow patches. I actually had to turn the lockers on and break trail through some deep wet snow resulting in half of it being thrown up and into the jeep. Great fun! We eventually got to a point where I'm sure I could have kept going but my Mom's TJ would have had issues due to the snow (she's got a 2" lift and open diffs). Hopefully when I go camping next weekend, more of the snow will have melted so we can get up to the picture spot.

So now, she's got about 320 miles on her, is covered in dirt and mud, and still has the dealer plate on. I couldn't be happier in any other Jeep. The JK Rubi is more than trail capable out of the box and she's comfy to boot!

I'll actually bring a camera next weekend and get more pics.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I want to pull my rear seat and get one of those air mattresses to put back there. It'd be nice if I could find a way to be able to quickly get the seat in and out so I can just pull it out to sleep in when I'm on the trail. Sleeping like this has been my dream since I was a kid:

(Kevin Bacon isn't really in my dreams)
HELL. YES. I have dreamed of doing the exact same thing my entire life. Recently I have actually looked into getting one of those tents that goes over the bed of your truck, and a double blow up mattress fits perfectly between my wheel wells. Dreams are about to come true.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 9, 2023

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Sindow posted:

Oh man I am so jealous, that thing is sexy. :swoon:

I've driven around one or two of the new JKs and there is no way I could possibly own one without selling the engine at mile one and replacing it with a 4.0L or a built stroker. The V6 feels exactly like your driving a Grand Caravan and in my experience, I had to rev the piss out of it to get the same performance I get in the 4.0L with just a quarter throttle.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sindow posted:

Is this because of the engine or did they start putting more weight or something somewhere? Either way when I get one I'm just going to get an old beat up YJ/CJ, I don't think I could ever own a new Jeep.

new jeeps are just too...well...NEW! They have all the added luxuries that we average Jeep drivers do not want. Why do I want to drag my brand new Jeep Commander through the mud? Its too clean and the interior too luxurious, it makes me sick. I miss the old simple designs of the Cherokees, Wranglers, CJs, etc.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Jeep guys, is this a good deal?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/car/730840253.html

These things seem too cheap to be real... what's wrong with them?

edit: Yeah I just realized he called his Cherokee a wrangler...

ethanol fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 25, 2008

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

The King of Swag posted:

I've driven around one or two of the new JKs and there is no way I could possibly own one without selling the engine at mile one and replacing it with a 4.0L or a built stroker. The V6 feels exactly like your driving a Grand Caravan and in my experience, I had to rev the piss out of it to get the same performance I get in the 4.0L with just a quarter throttle.

Interesting. I feel like my Rubi has more power than my TJ had (and it had the 4.0L) A lot of people bitch about the new 3.8 being anemic but they don't realize the ECU isn't running everything at 100% for about the first 1000 miles during break in. I don't find it to be lacking in power at all and I bet I'll be even happier once I get to 1000 miles. But whatever, to each their own.

As for the creature comforts - I love them too. Does this make me a non-hardcore true Jeep owner? Maybe to some snobs. But those are also the people I hated wheelin' with back when I had my Toyota. I'd laugh every time I had to pull them over an obstacle.

CommieGIR posted:

new jeeps are just too...well...NEW! They have all the added luxuries that we average Jeep drivers do not want. Why do I want to drag my brand new Jeep Commander through the mud? Its too clean and the interior too luxurious, it makes me sick. I miss the old simple designs of the Cherokees, Wranglers, CJs, etc.

Uh, yeah, since when is a Commander aimed at the off-road enthusiast? A vast majority of those will never see a dirt road, let alone a trail.

As an average Jeep driver, and as I stated above, I love my amenities. Power windows? Hell yeah, now I don't have to reach all the loving way over to the passenger side to lower the glass. Power door locks? Nice! A great stock stereo I can hear on the freeway and not have to worry about getting stolen since it's keyed to my VIN? Awesome!! Just because it's not a stripped down CJ doesn't mean it's not a Jeep.

And I did drag my brand new JK through the mud, and rocks, and trees, and snow, and creekbeds just to get rid of the "cleanliness." gently caress, I hated the armoralled tires.

Anyway, I get tired of people bagging on the new JKs because they have too many features. They seem to be the same people who bagged on the TJs when they first came out. Fine, you sit on your canvas-seated, box-car riding, noisy rear end CJ/YJ and feel smug because you're so hardcore. I prefer to ride in comfort while sipping my americano. Maybe I'm just getting old.

See you on the trails.

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 25, 2008

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Braincloud posted:

As an average Jeep driver, and as I stated above, I love my amenities. Power windows? Hell yeah, now I don't have to reach all the loving way over to the passenger side to lower the glass. Power door locks? Nice! A great stock stereo I can hear on the freeway and not have to worry about getting stolen since it's keyed to my VIN? Awesome!! Just because it's not a stripped down CJ doesn't mean it's not a Jeep.

And I did drag my brand new JK through the mud, and rocks, and trees, and snow, and creekbeds just to get rid of the "cleanliness." gently caress, I hated the armoralled tires.

Anyway, I get tired of people bagging on the new JKs because they have too many features. They seem to be the same people who bagged on the TJs when they first came out. Fine, you sit on your canvas-seated, box-car riding, noisy rear end CJ/YJ and feel smug because you're so hardcore. I prefer to ride in comfort while sipping my americano. Maybe I'm just getting old.

See you on the trails.

I was not talking about that, my Jeep Cherokee Laredo has power locks, power windows, etc.

I hate the whole futuristic re-design they gave it, trying to add curves to everything.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

CommieGIR posted:

I hate the whole futuristic re-design they gave it, trying to add curves to everything.

I thought the TJs were curvier than the JKs. The tops of the doors are rounded and the hardtop is also rounded in the back. The JK's have squared doors and the hard-top is definitely boxier.

TJ:

JK:

But your opinion is your own and you've every right to it.

I do hate the mirrors tho and I'll probably find some way to fit the TJ style mirror on my JK.

Oh, and don't get me started on those Unlimited owners. Pfft... ;)

Sindow posted:

I forget what company makes it but there's this equipment meant for the JKs that mounts onto a roof rack and it's a pop-up tent. You can roll it up or down with a handle and it looked pretty cool, has anyone tried those yet?

I actually thought about getting one of those for camping this weekend but then came to my senses and said "Why the hell would I need that when my tent works perfectly fine thrown on the ground? And it's already paid for." It is a neat idea though.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Sindow posted:

I have no idea why you would choose a tent that takes up your rack instead of having the roof space but I just remembered it because it had this middle-aged woman smiling and holding a little toy-dog while rolling it up. It was hilarious. It seems like a cool way to save space if you weren't using your roof for anything though.

They are really popular in the offroad expedition crowd. The one he is referring to is a maggiolina. The reason you would want one is because it is easy and quick to set up, very comfortable and can be put up any where you park your car instead of hunting around for a nice flat spot to set up your tent. There are all sorts of rooftop tents that range from more of a popup to more of a walled tent. I would also like to point out that if you are loading your rooftop rack full of gear you have to much stuff and are putting a lot of weight in a very bad spot. It is much nicer to have a tent up there.

Here is the website of one rooftop tent company.
http://www.autohomeus.com/

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Braincloud posted:

Interesting. I feel like my Rubi has more power than my TJ had (and it had the 4.0L) A lot of people bitch about the new 3.8 being anemic but they don't realize the ECU isn't running everything at 100% for about the first 1000 miles during break in. I don't find it to be lacking in power at all and I bet I'll be even happier once I get to 1000 miles. But whatever, to each their own.

To be fair, these were brand new so that may be it, but I don't think the computer could change anything enough to make it feel like a 4.0L.

I should probably make it more clear what I mean about the V6. I don't think the V6 is actually any slower than the 4.0L and may actually be a little faster, but to get it moving, I had to give it all or nothing. At a quarter throttle, all the vehicles I've driven with the 4.0L will get up to freeway speed in no time at all. At a half throttle they'll drat near sprint and the acceleration is linear to the throttle you give it.

The V6 on the other hand, once it's moving at a good klik, it's easy to keep moving and speed up a bit, but getting started from a stop or a slow speed means burying to pedal just to keep from getting run over by traffic. That said, you floor it and it'll really get up and move. The V6 unfortunately, is also very peaky in torque, and I could feel the moment it went from no power to all power. Although I didn't get to take one off-road, I have a feeling that this would be a hinderance over the 4.0L.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
The whole "problem" I have with the new Jeeps is I just can't see beating the poo poo out of a 30k dollar vehicle.

I'd LOOOVOE to have a new JK but I'd piss myself when I took it through some tight crevasse and crunched a panel or something.

With my YJ I don't owe any money and I don't flinch when I beat the gently caress out of it. I couldn't fathom that making a 350+ car payment on a brand new jeep and really using it.

Also the computer is in the closet. Air, fuel, spark. No CPS, ECM, SOL, WTF to poo poo the bed.

It's simple and I can beat the gently caress out of it and not really sweat it. Other than that I'd have a JK in a heartbeat.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Sindow posted:

Oh, I see. I guess if you were going to go on an expedition you have to plan everything out in terms of weight/fuel/etc. And yeah, SUVs are already top heavy so I guess storing a whole bunch of crap on the top isn't a good idea.

This looks awesome.

If your interested in stuff like that I recommend the expedition portal forums. Even if you just really like camping with your jeep. There is tons of good advice and inspiration there.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Sindow posted:

Oh, I see. I guess if you were going to go on an expedition you have to plan everything out in terms of weight/fuel/etc. And yeah, SUVs are already top heavy so I guess storing a whole bunch of crap on the top isn't a good idea.

This looks awesome.

You could consider this type of roof tent too:

http://www.brownchurch.co.uk/2001.html

(yeah i know its not a jeep, but it should still work on a one!)

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Tomarse posted:

You could consider this type of roof tent too:

http://www.brownchurch.co.uk/2001.html

(yeah i know its not a jeep, but it should still work on a one!)

The only problem with those is that when folded up they are a large box instead of a small aerodynamic piece of fiberglass. But if you needed more room for a family you would pretty much need to go with the walled tent design.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Do you guys think I could find a 1997 TJ with less than 100,000 miles for $5,500 or less? I was dead set on a bmw until I realized how much I was going to hate passing by all the non paved roads and mountain biking excursions.

I'm definitely getting a wrangler.. but I will admit I think they are ridiculously overpriced... if I find a 1997 4.0L for less than 5,500, I will be so incredibly happy.

Also, I've read that the newer soft tops are acceptable in cold temperatures and snow... can I skip the hard top?

drat, I've never desired a vehicle so much... I want to take one of these babies into the arizona desert NOW.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 9, 2023

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Sindow posted:

Is there a certain forum for this? I don't remember seeing an expedition forum link in this thread but then again I haven't read it for a week or two..

The only reason why I can even afford to get a Wrangler in the near future is that I'm in NH for the summer. There are at least ten listed every day and once I get the money together I hope to snag a fixable one for about $2,500. I was looking at getting one in the midwest instead but there are so few out there that it's hard to find them.

The ones I've been looking for are the postings that go "well it was a daily driver but I have kids coming/gas is getting to much so I have to sell it." They're usually listed cheaper since they just want to get rid of it and they're less likely to have modding done to them. If you keep looking long enough you will probably find one like that, eventually.
If I don't find one in AZ this summer, I'll be back in Vermont for the year.. so I'll find one.. eventually. It's just a pity I won't be able to use it for this summer in arizona.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Sindow posted:

Is there a certain forum for this? I don't remember seeing an expedition forum link in this thread but then again I haven't read it for a week or two..

I recommend reading every section on the board. It is a slow moving board and the jeep section is really slow, but it is all great people and interesting stories and ideas.
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/index.php

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Sindow posted:

All right I know what I'm going to be doing instead of work tomorrow.

My personal favorite section is the trailer section. Also be sure to check out the completed expeditions section.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Sindow posted:

Oh man that looks like so much fun.

I have to be honest, when it comes to off-roading, I find much more joy in "expeditions", going far out into the middle of nowhere, around and over rough and inhospitable terrain, than I do in traditional off-roading where you aren't going far (such as an OHV park) but your tackling some pretty serious terrain. Don't get me wrong, I love both, I just find the "expedition" type off-roading more rewarding.