Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rum sodomy the lash
Nov 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

tadashi posted:

I can't say it's a binge, but I've fallen asleep while watching Rome everynight for the last 4 or 5 nights. I watch one episode then another until I fall asleep and then pick up with the last thing I remember the following night. I'm impressed with a series that I thought was going to be all about TnA.

This one I binged on. A great show.

Right now though it's the X-Files. Currently on the third season and I think I still have a basic understanding of the mytharc. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NJD2005
Sep 3, 2006
Last couple months i've been through Rome, Lost (rewatch), Breaking Bad, Battlestar Galactica, Venture Bros., and The Office UK. Looks like i'll be watching Mad Men and Six Feet Under soon thanks to this thread. I'll probably bomb through The Shield sometime soon also.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Bunnita posted:

The science is out there but I just pretend that Angel shansued (sp??) and is now fighting crime as an FBI agent!
hahah I thought I was the only one

that show is pretty terrible but it keeps me watching

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Anorak Revolution posted:

Still binging on Six Feet Under, I just finished season 4, episode 5 (the one with David and the hitchhiker). It seems to get even more amazing. I can't believe that I purposely dismissed this series for years as looking like a total bore even after hearing about critical reviews.

That was one of the best episodes in the entire series. I just got the next disc and going to watch it straight like I usually do.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

calandryll posted:

That was one of the best episodes in the entire series. I just got the next disc and going to watch it straight like I usually do.

I actually hated the episode, found it very difficult to watch; however, it was a great episode for what it did to the series. It had been a very slow season up until that point, and that episode set everything in motion for the rest of the series.

Mr Mojo Risin posted:

This one I binged on. A great show.

Right now though it's the X-Files. Currently on the third season and I think I still have a basic understanding of the mytharc. :)

This is probably the last time you'll have a basic understanding of the mytharc. Things get so convoluted in the later seasons.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

blackjack posted:

I didn't like either version of The Office

How much of the American Office did you watch?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

V-Men posted:

If you're willing to move into anime, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex is fantastic cyberpunk.

Now that I've finished House, I need something new. Given that I've watched just about everything mentioned in this thread already, I guess I'll give this a shot. I liked the Ghost in the Shell movie anyhow.

CaptainHollywood posted:

I don't like the American Office either. I liked the BBC version but something about the US one just rubs me wrong. I'm not shocked that other people find it funny, I just don't like it.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I'm watching episode 18 of season 2 of Buffy right now. I'll have to shell out for the rest, and for Angel as well as soon as the money comes in. I have the first three seasons of Babylon 5 that I can watch when I'm done, but that collection needs completing as well. I should probably finish season 1 of Lexx as well, but that's not very appealing compared to Buffy. Also. Arrested Development season three.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Jedi posted:

I don't like the American Office either. I liked the BBC version but something about the US one just rubs me wrong. I'm not shocked that other people find it funny, I just don't like it.

Hopefully you didn't watch just Season One... it was pretty much cookie cutter to the UK version, and I hardly found it funny at all. Luckily it's only six episodes. But if you saw episodes from Seasons 2-4, well then I guess it's just not the show for you.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Factor Mystic posted:

Hopefully you didn't watch just Season One... it was pretty much cookie cutter to the UK version, and I hardly found it funny at all. Luckily it's only six episodes. But if you saw episodes from Seasons 2-4, well then I guess it's just not the show for you.

This is what I was going to say. I recommended my friend to watch it. After season 1 he absolutely hated it and said, "this show is supposed to be funny?" I told him to keep watching. He just finished the second season and loves it- although, "I don't know how that show lasted, it should have been canceled after the first season."

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Nihonniboku posted:

I actually hated the episode, found it very difficult to watch; however, it was a great episode for what it did to the series. It had been a very slow season up until that point, and that episode set everything in motion for the rest of the series.

I saw that episode pretty much ignorant of the whole rest of the series and it shook me up. I thought it was an excellent and really effective piece of television.

I've since seen season 1 and really should see the rest.

Johnny Deformed
Jun 11, 2005

Because fact into doubt... won't go.

Bunnita posted:

I would recommend BSG also, but you have to be ok with stuff in space, it turns some people off. However that one isn't done and the rest won't be shown till next year, so keep that in mind.

So the 4th season that's on now in the USA won't be finished til next year? Or there's a 5th season next year that's gonna be the last one?

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Johnny Deformed posted:

So the 4th season that's on now in the USA won't be finished til next year? Or there's a 5th season next year that's gonna be the last one?
There's 10 (maybe 12, I'm not sure if that's official yet) more episodes to come, they will be shown at the beginning of next year. It's still Season 4, unless Sci-Fi decide to name it otherwise. The big hiatus is a mix of Writers Strike and Sci-Fi hating us.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Samurai Jack

Genndy Tatrakovsky clearly knows his poo poo, and it sounds like he had wanted to do something like this show for a long time. Outstanding voice acting, smart humor, and most importantly the characters/show knows when to shut the gently caress up and let visuals tell the story. There are episodes where you'll go nearly 10 minutes without anyone saying a word. Also Mako's voice is insane. I hated to see the series end, but I'm glad he got out while he was ahead, and didn't run it into the ground.

Burn Notice

It was fan-loving-tastic last summer, and I spent some time on USA's website catching back up on the series. I'm hoping USA runs with this show for a good while.

Law & Order: Criminal Intent

There's been rumors for a while that Vincent D'Onofrio is on his way out. I don't know if that's true or not, but Chris Noth fits the show so drat well, and would be a great full-time replacement. He and Jerry Orbach were the best thing about the original L&O series. For the love of god though, please get rid of the lovely new theme song!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

DJExile posted:

Law & Order: Criminal Intent

There's been rumors for a while that Vincent D'Onofrio is on his way out. I don't know if that's true or not, but Chris Noth fits the show so drat well, and would be a great full-time replacement. He and Jerry Orbach were the best thing about the original L&O series. For the love of god though, please get rid of the lovely new theme song!

You'll be disappointed to learn that Chris Noth is leaving the show :unsmith:

He'll probably be replaced by Jeff Goldblum, so depending how you feel about him this may soften the blow or pour salt on the wound.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

You'll be disappointed to learn that Chris Noth is leaving the show :unsmith:

He'll probably be replaced by Jeff Goldblum, so depending how you feel about him this may soften the blow or pour salt on the wound.

Nooooooooooooo! What the gently caress, Chris? :smith:

Goldblum... I've never been huge on him, but I'll give the guy a chance.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

Bunnita posted:

I hope you don't mine me asking but what do you think of Torchwood compared to Doctor Who? I know what everyone in the Dr Who thread thinks but I'd like to see what you think having seen Torchwood first.

For me I just discovered that Netflix has old Dr Who episodes so I may finally break down and join. I watched the first season of Dexter and the first new season of Who both in two nights total, it was great.

I found Torchwood to be simply wonderful and was looking for something similar to it, hence why I watched that "other show" - Doctor Who. I really didn't know they were related and appreciated Torchwood more when I got to see where it all came from.

For the show itself - the actors really work well together and the relationships they form really add to the show. I know a lot of people in the Doctor Who forum complain because of the gratuitous sex - but I really think that in the context of the Owen/Gwen relationship it adds to it because of how difficult it is to be in their shoes. I haven't seen much of the Jack/Ianto stuff because I've only seen Season One thus far, however the writing and characterization of it all really matches up to what I saw for the brief episodes of Jack's appearance in Doctor Who.

Sad thing is with Doctor Who I'm starting to get bored. Martha is a horrible companion and I cannot wait for her to leave so we can see Bitchy!Donna return.

I'm an oddity. :)

nonatomic retain
May 25, 2003
[[title alloc] init];
title.value = @"Title";
[title show:(GLKView*) view];
[title dealloc];
title = nil;
Burn Notice, Psych, Damages, and The Closer in preparation for the new seasons coming up. I had forgotten how much of a badass Michael is on Burn Notice. If you haven't seen it, you need to watch it. Good writing, with just the right mix of action, humor, and MacGyvering. Plus, as other posters have said in this here thread, Bruce Campbell plays a main character and he's excellent as always.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Sensible posted:

Burn Notice, Psych, Damages, and The Closer in preparation for the new seasons coming up. I had forgotten how much of a badass Michael is on Burn Notice. If you haven't seen it, you need to watch it. Good writing, with just the right mix of action, humor, and MacGyvering. Plus, as other posters have said in this here thread, Bruce Campbell plays a main character and he's excellent as always.

I just finished the episode with the kidnapped fiance of the housesitter. Holy poo poo that scene at the end with the bureaucrat :psyduck:

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 27, 2008

The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

as this blessed evening falls don't forget the alcohol
I did this with two series, LOST and Arrested Development. And also bought DVDs of some other shows that I hadn't seen the full seasons of.

With LOST I got into it at the end of the summer before season 2 started. I heard all the hoopla and weird monsters and polar bears but knew nothing else. I saw a clip of it on TV one night and thought it looked interesting so I impulse purchased the first season on DVD, particularly because I knew my dad liked the show so I figured at least he'd like the DVDs. In short I got addicted and now I'm obsessed.

I also did this with arrested development. I actually knew nothing about it and my girlfriend downloaded season 1 just to have something to watch. We watched the first episode and blew through the whole series in a few months.

Other shows I got based on liking a few episodes include The Boondocks, Stella and Reno 911.

I think I'm going to give Dexter a try next.

DJPress
Sep 23, 2006

Lone Wolf and... Lemur?

DJExile posted:

Samurai Jack

Genndy Tatrakovsky clearly knows his poo poo, and it sounds like he had wanted to do something like this show for a long time. Outstanding voice acting, smart humor, and most importantly the characters/show knows when to shut the gently caress up and let visuals tell the story. There are episodes where you'll go nearly 10 minutes without anyone saying a word. Also Mako's voice is insane. I hated to see the series end, but I'm glad he got out while he was ahead, and didn't run it into the ground.

great show! I burned through this several months ago, and there are still episodes I go back to watch. "Jack vs. Aku" is hilarious, "Jack Remembers his Past" is really good. There are too many great episodes to remember.

I believe that based on DVD sales, there might be a movie in the works to tie up loose ends ala Firefly/Serenity. Aku would be voiced by the person who replaced Mako on Avatar: TLA. However, based on what I've seen, I don't think there's enough generated interest, which is too bad.

blackjack
May 22, 2004

The World's Mightiest Puppet!

CaptainHollywood posted:

All of the first season and the first two episodes of the second, at my brother's insistence.

:smith:

The characters just grate on my nerves.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DJPress posted:

great show! I burned through this several months ago, and there are still episodes I go back to watch. "Jack vs. Aku" is hilarious, "Jack Remembers his Past" is really good. There are too many great episodes to remember.

I believe that based on DVD sales, there might be a movie in the works to tie up loose ends ala Firefly/Serenity. Aku would be voiced by the person who replaced Mako on Avatar: TLA. However, based on what I've seen, I don't think there's enough generated interest, which is too bad.

Honestly I think it's fine that they leave things where they are. Mako's voice was perfect, and I don't want to suddenly hear something even slightly different.

Also some of the humor in that show was great.

Aku: Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each other for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
Jack: Your word play will not trick me, villain!
[attacks Aku]
Aku: I'll be back, Samurai - you'll see! Bwah-ha-ha-ha!
[flutters over the horizon then reappears]
Aku: See what I mean?

Willie D
Dec 29, 2006

by Ozma
Iv gotten to season 6 of the West Wing, I love Aaron Sorkin so much.

LuckyTaikonaut
Oct 14, 2005
A small step for me, a huge leap for chinkdom

willd58 posted:

Iv gotten to season 6 of the West Wing, I love Aaron Sorkin so much.

He left after the fourth, hence the suckiness of season 5 except "the Supremes" with Glenn Close.

DJPress
Sep 23, 2006

Lone Wolf and... Lemur?

DJExile posted:

Also some of the humor in that show was great.

Aku: Yes, I'd like a delivery please ... Aku, I think I'm in the computer ... 30 minutes or it's free? EXCELLENT!!

or (last one)

I can't remember the name of the episode, but it's the one where a bunch of different types of bounty hunters get together to kill Jack and they say something like "let's go inside where it's warmer" and the camera keeps going to each one nodding and say "mhmm" in agreement for about 2 minutes. I think the episode has princess in it, like maybe "The Princess and the Bounty Hunters."

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Binged through seasons 1 and 2 of Veronica Mars this week. Hadn't watched it at all since it was cancelled last year, so it was nice to remind myself how great it is. I'll probably binge through season 3 this weekend and then try to find something that I haven't seen before, rather than rewatching something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I powered through the first season of How I Met Your Mother in the last few days and I'll be damned if this isn't one of the best sitcoms ever. Started Season 2 like an hour ago.

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

quote:

I can't remember the name of the episode, but it's the one where a bunch of different types of bounty hunters get together to kill Jack and they say something like "let's go inside where it's warmer" and the camera keeps going to each one nodding and say "mhmm" in agreement for about 2 minutes. I think the episode has princess in it, like maybe "The Princess and the Bounty Hunters."

I still say the two "Jack and the Scotsman" episodes were the two best episodes of that show, bar none.

DJPress
Sep 23, 2006

Lone Wolf and... Lemur?

Arsenal_12 posted:

I still say the two "Jack and the Scotsman" episodes were the two best episodes of that show, bar none.

Yeah, he's the best side character easily. There are actually 4 episodes with him in it, but I assume the two you're talking about are Jack and the Scotsman parts 1 and 2.

Edit: duh, of course those are the ones you're talking about, you only included the title in the post...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Just finished season 5 of The Shield.

It got better...but...but... :smith:

I just don't know anymore.

Gun Metal Grey
Jul 30, 2006

Inspired by true events on movie screens.
I got addicted to Lost at school last semester and quickly binged through all the seasons in time to watch the last few season four episodes... only to have to wait until 2009 for more, poo poo.

I also recently got hooked on Battlestar Galactica and I've got a few netflix deliveries left before I'm done with season 3. Of course season 4 isn't on DVD yet so finding that is going to prove difficult, and until I do I have to hide my eyes from any season 4 spoilers.

I love finding great new shows to watch, but once you've burned through the dvds and have finally "caught up" it turns the huge cinematic experience back into the blue ball waiting game that is television.

Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster

Nate RFB posted:

Just finished season 5 of The Shield.

It got better...but...but... :smith:

I just don't know anymore.

You should watch the prequel to season six before season six. It's like 20 minutes.

And yeah, I know. I don't either. :smith:

Turtle before the Storm
Sep 13, 2004
I should try to be less like Ignatius J. Reilly and more like John Kennedy Toole. Rev the engine and pass me that hose
On a whim, I started watching Star Trek: Enterprise for the first time and ended up blowing through all of the seasons. I hear a lot of people hated it, but I'm not all that into the Star Trek universe so I didn't notice any inconsistencies. I thought it was an awesome show. This is all before the federation existed so there's a lot of blundering about in the galaxy, and a lot more action than typical Star Trek. I started off annoyed at the vulcan ended up being played by some hot model, I felt it was corny, but I ended up being crazy about the character. The actress does a ridiculously good job expressing a range of emotion with almost solely her eyes and tilt of the head. I also liked how the vulcans aren't robots in this one. I'd say check it out.

Killfast37
May 7, 2007
I usually choose a television show and watch the first three episodes with my family. If we like it we usually watch every season it has to offer with in a month or two. We just started Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 2. We greatly enjoyed the first season and the second season seems great. Circuit City was selling every season for 18 dollars so the family chipped in about $25 a piece and bought the entire series with 3 day shipping so we can get it for 4th of July Weekend! Also Burn Notice is next up on our plate once we get through the 7 seasons of Buffy.

FuzzyLollipop
Feb 11, 2006

mind over matter makes pooh unfatter.
I was up all night Monday watching Mad Men (my boyfriend works at a video store, so we had to get it back before the store opened Tuesday morning). I got it because a girl I work with was raving about it one day, and I was curious but I didn't really expect to like it nearly as much as I did. It's one of the best dramatic shows I've seen in a long time.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I recently burned through the first two seasons of Doctor Who (new series). I got hooked on the show when I moved a couple of months ago. I didn't have cable set up yet, and the local PBS station had a marathon of the first season. I was only able to stay up for the first couple of episodes, but I was hooked pretty quickly. All I have to do now is have enough free cash to blow $80 on the third season.

Last year I ended up watching the entire series of West Wing over the course of a month or two. I would definitely recommend that show to just about anyone.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My roommates and I just finished Californication.

Excellent series. Much funnier than I had imagined.

Duchovny NAILS the role.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

FuzzyLollipop posted:

I was up all night Monday watching Mad Men (my boyfriend works at a video store, so we had to get it back before the store opened Tuesday morning). I got it because a girl I work with was raving about it one day, and I was curious but I didn't really expect to like it nearly as much as I did. It's one of the best dramatic shows I've seen in a long time.

I've watched the first two episodes because I heard it was such a great drama (which I love) but so far I'm not impressed it seems really slow even for a drama. Does it get better? Should I stick with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyLollipop
Feb 11, 2006

mind over matter makes pooh unfatter.

-Blackadder- posted:

I've watched the first two episodes because I heard it was such a great drama (which I love) but so far I'm not impressed it seems really slow even for a drama. Does it get better? Should I stick with it?

I was hooked from the pilot episode, so maybe it's just not your thing? I do really like how the storyline evolves over the course of the season, though. There's a twist involving Don's background, and without going into any spoiler-y details, it's done slowly over time and though you kind of see it coming, it still made me gasp. I think this show is a lot more subtle than other shows out there, and that's what I like about it.