Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nine Lives
Feb 28, 2008

Day in, day out

Josh Wow posted:

Deals Gone Bad are pretty similar and they're an awesome band. I think their latest cd The Ramblers is probably their best. You'd probably enjoy Go Jimmy Go and the Stingers ATX too. I'd also recommend the Aggrolites, they aren't too much like Westbound but they're killer and people who like Westbound normally like them from my experience.

Thanks, I'll definitely check them out. I just got all of SM's stuff too, they seem pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Is there anything Save Ferris like that isn't terrible? I know of Tip the Van, a CT ska band, but they have this gimmick in singing harmonic fourths (I think its fourths?) and that wears thin pretty quickly. Also, old No Doubt works, but have any other worthwhile 3rd wave bands had female vocalists?

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
SECharger73 hates sad reminders :[
Have any of you listened to The Rumblestrips from the UK? They've got a really old "Dexy's Midnight Runners" sound, really fun.

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Is there anything Save Ferris like that isn't terrible? I know of Tip the Van, a CT ska band, but they have this gimmick in singing harmonic fourths (I think its fourths?) and that wears thin pretty quickly. Also, old No Doubt works, but have any other worthwhile 3rd wave bands had female vocalists?

You know of Dance Hall Crashers, right?

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Yum!Yum!Orange always does the trick for me. They're a J-ska band, so if you want to understand all the words, you might be out of luck. About half-way down page 2 is a little discusson on female bands, some of them are:

Action League Now!
Too Short Notice
Ore No Ska Band
Usuals

And these two comps:
Ska Down Her Way
Ska Down Her Way 2

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
So in somewhat good news the Planet Smashers are not completely dead, they have a couple dates on the Canadian Warped Tour. Who knows if/when they'll tour the states again but at least they're still going.

I like the Dance Hall Crashers, but you may not enjoy them since they also have 2 female singers. They pull it off a whole lot better than Tip the Van does though so check them out, I really don't like Tip the Van either. Also I don't know how easy their stuff will be to find but the Busdrivers were a pretty killer band from Florida, but their main singer wasn't a chick and I don't remember just how much the chick in the band sang. There's also two other ska bands with chick singers from florida one is One and Done and the other is One Pump Chump. One and Done is the better of the two, and was formed with members from the Bus Drivers but the chick sings a lot more.

Edit: Oh yea if you don't listen to Skankin Pickle do it now. Their guitarist was a chick and did some singing and they're amazing anyway.

Josh Wow fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 30, 2008

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Metro Stylee has been dead for nearly ten years now, but I find myself popping in their cd for nostalgia's sake every now and then. Said album is also available for free to download through their placeholder website.

Speaking of dead bands, Mass. Hysteria also had a female vocalist. They were more rocksteady and reggae in their sound, though.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 30, 2008

dragoonz
Mar 1, 2006
into unborn photographs

http://www.myspace.com/droctopusska
Wow, I only just read that blog stating they've broken up. drat.

plumpy
Dec 5, 2005
So I went to warped tour not expecting a whole lot, seeing as the only bands I was there for were pretty much RBF and Oreskaband. Reel Big Fish was awesome live as always, I think they drew a bigger crowd than anyone else there. Oreskaband really surprised me. I had never seen them live before, but they were really great. Lots of synchronized horn dancing a la Suburban Legends. I also scored a sweet hat that I got autographed by all of RBF!

Really though I would tell anyone on the fence about going (A buddy dragged me along) to go despite the other 100 bands that yell and whatever.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Josh Wow posted:

Edit: Oh yea if you don't listen to Skankin Pickle do it now. Their guitarist was a chick and did some singing and they're amazing anyway.

Plus they're worth listening to just so you can do the Hussein Skank

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

The Banana Pee posted:

*Shudders* I am ashamed for liking ska now...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/switch/them/joe.shtml

drat, that was painful. He lives in the same city as me, if I see him around I will bludgeon him to death with a pair of two tone vans slipons.

The video however does feature capdown, which is a redeeming feature! How I miss them :(

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Is anyone going to the Bosstones show coming up in Lowell? I went to New Years at Lupo's and had a loving awesome time, I can't wait.

The Banana Pee
Feb 16, 2007

Bana - not long enough. Bananana - dammit!

Dirty Needles posted:

drat, that was painful. He lives in the same city as me, if I see him around I will bludgeon him to death with a pair of two tone vans slipons.

The video however does feature capdown, which is a redeeming feature! How I miss them :(

My favorite :psyduck: part is when he tries to explain skanking, and you see his dumb little buddies all do the worst excuse for it I've ever seen, all with a shiteating grin on their faces.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

plumpy posted:

So I went to warped tour not expecting a whole lot, seeing as the only bands I was there for were pretty much RBF and Oreskaband. Reel Big Fish was awesome live as always, I think they drew a bigger crowd than anyone else there. Oreskaband really surprised me. I had never seen them live before, but they were really great. Lots of synchronized horn dancing a la Suburban Legends. I also scored a sweet hat that I got autographed by all of RBF!

Really though I would tell anyone on the fence about going (A buddy dragged me along) to go despite the other 100 bands that yell and whatever.

I got this signed at the Goldfinger/Less Than Jake show in NYC:

The guys were cool. Chris sort of seamed like he didn't want to be there, but I can't blame him. He has family in New York that he probably doesn't get to see much and its understandable that he'd rather be spending time with them. I told Roger how much I liked the new CD and his response was "Meh. I like it". Interesting.

The show was :rock:, even if they didn't play the new songs I wanted to hear (City of Gainesville/State of Florida, Handshake Meet Pokerface, Space They Can't Touch, Devil in my DNA). I may have lost my wallet and sprained my ankle, but it was worth it.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 4, 2008

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Saw LTJ/Goldfinger tonight.

I'm glad I caught Suburban Legends, they put on a good show. Big D? That was loving noise. Absolutely horrible. I was never into them before, and I thought this might swing my vote, but the lead singer is horrible.

LTJ only played 3 new songs. Does the lion still roar? Summon Monsters, and Abandon Ship. They also played The Ghosts of Me and You, Gainsville Rock City, Johnny Quest thinks we're sell outs, History of a Boring Town, Great American Sharpshooter, Plastic Cup Politics, Last One Out of Liberty City, How's My Driving, Doug Hastings? The Science of Selling Yourself Short, All My Best Friends Are Metalheads.

I think that was it. I don't think they played a single song off of In With The Out Crowd.

Goldfinger was the last band, and they always put on a good show.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Did LTJ play Scott Farcus at any of the other shows? I know they played it at Lupos, and I was so glad they did, but is that it?

Calavera
May 12, 2008

god's way of telling you no.

TLG James posted:

Big D? That was loving noise. Absolutely horrible. I was never into them before, and I thought this might swing my vote, but the lead singer is horrible.

I'd say give them another chance. Of the half dozen times I've seen them, their lead singer (Dave) was drunk half those times. Really, when he's not drunk he sounds awesome. They put on a great show. If you haven't listened to it, I recommend their album "Good Luck."

And Surburban Legends, though nice guys who have been through hell and back, kind of are the Backstreet Boys of the scene. Their show is drat awesome the first time you see them, but then when you see them again you realize, "Oh, that's the same thing they did last time." It gets old. But whatever, to each his own.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Stalking Roxy. They only put out one full album on Jump Up! records and it's loving phenomenal. You all need to listen to them no. I'm pretty sure I mentioned them earlier in the thread, but I'll keep mentioning them until I'm blue in the face.

Also, yeah, 'indie' has kind of become a genre. I basically think it's the new 'alternative'. Kind of a catch-all for bands that kinda sorta could be considered rock, but aren't straight up rock. Or they're just a bit too weird for mainstream. I have yet to convince anyone I know of the awesomeness of Art Brut :(

WaffleZombie fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 8, 2008

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
So I just saw Fatter than Albert, Stuck Lucky, Detonate, and We Are the Union tonight. It was in some guys basement but god drat was it fun. Half way through FTAs set there was a haze in the air from all the sweat :barf: . It makes me sad that I can't go to Ska Weekend this year (roommate lost job and I'm getting married in august), but if you guys get a chance check these guys out.

Calavera
May 12, 2008

god's way of telling you no.
Christ, I can't wait for ska weekend. Hopefully I can make it this year. I went for 3 years in a row and then had to miss it last year. So much fun and so many friends in one place. Also, the wigsphere never gets old. :D

Is anyone else planning on going to Ska Weekend '08?

Mr Crumbbley
Jun 5, 2007
I haven't seen these 2 bands mentioned yet.

Firebug, some traditional ska from Brazil. I really like the sound of these guys.
http://www.myspace.com/firebugbrazil

The Moon Invaders, some traditional ska from Belgium.
http://www.myspace.com/mooninvaders

Firebug is on iTunes, so I'd definitely recommend getting them. But as for The Moon Invaders, I really can't figure out a way to get their albums.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

mix.lunar posted:

When did indie become a genre? Not really picking on you, but I've always know it as a band/group he got little to no recognition, yet were very good. But people now-a-day's talk about it like it's a certain sound you have to achieve. Did I miss the memo or something?

No offense, but Indie is absolutely a genre. There are three main subgenres of indie: Indie Rock, Indie Folk, and Indie Pop. Examples of Indie Rock would be Modest Mouse, Pavement, or Bloc Party. Indie Folk is less well known and examples are Josh Ritter, M. Ward, or Okkervil River. Indie Pop gets the most mainstream recognition, though it tends to just get called rock or pop: The Shins, Vampire Weekend, etc. Indie is essentially the new 'alt rock', because alt rock basically means the same thing as mainstream rock at this point.

</digression>

Anyway, I've been getting back into ska a little bit. I never was a huge ska guy, but I like a couple bands - Catch-22's Keasbey Nights, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Less Than Jake, and some others. I honestly never liked Streetlight, but I also realize that I think I've heard maybe one song of theirs all the way through, so I might have to give them another try. I'll be eating my words big time if I do like them, though, since I always bug my friend who's a huge fan of theirs :devil:.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Mr Crumbbley posted:

as for The Moon Invaders, I really can't figure out a way to get their albums.

http://www.jumpuprecords.com/ Chuck is a good guy to work with.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
US folks - how 'into' UK ska are you guys, generally speaking? Are you particularly aware of it? Or do most UK ska bands not cross the pond? What about older UK two-tone bands from the 70s such as The Specials, Madness, Bad Manners etc?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Chipyy posted:

US folks - how 'into' UK ska are you guys, generally speaking? Are you particularly aware of it? Or do most UK ska bands not cross the pond? What about older UK two-tone bands from the 70s such as The Specials, Madness, Bad Manners etc?

From what I've seen with people my age nobody is really into UK bands except for The Specials. For the current crop of UK bands you'd be hard pressed to find somebody that knows who Sonic Boom Six is among your average ska fan, and they're arguably the biggest contemporary UK band over here right now. I think most people know who Bad Manners, Selecter, Madness and the English Beat are, but not as many people listen to them. Honestly out of probably the biggest 5 UK ska bands ever the amount that I think people actually listen to them over here is The Specials, English Beat, Madness, Selecter, and then Bad Manners. Which is really a shame because Bad Manners are killer, yet I've never hopped into anybodys car and had them on the stereo nor have I really heard anybody talk about them.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah, if they aren't already big news, they're not well-known. Ska is a niche here these days and exposure isn't good.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

WaffleZombie posted:

I have yet to convince anyone I know of the awesomeness of Art Brut :(

Not trying to derail, but I really strongly enjoy Dancepunk and Britpop (I guess you could call those two subgenres of indie), and seeing Art Brut, Bloc Party, and !!! in the same week was one of the most fun things I did last summer. Dancing is my favorite part of shows (ska and beyond!) and while I detest the "arms crossed staring blankly at the band" indie scene I love dance bands.

In other news, I'm stoked to see Big D and Less Than Jake on Friday. It'll be the third time I've seen them this tour!

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Chipyy posted:

Good luck getting discussion going about anything older than 1990 in this thread. If you're in the UK, has there been any more details about the Specials supposed reunion?

Also, Bad Manners just toured the US if you all didn't know.

FeatherPants
Feb 24, 2007
'wicked' is an adverb too

Dopo posted:

Is anyone going to the Bosstones show coming up in Lowell? I went to New Years at Lupo's and had a loving awesome time, I can't wait.

I will be there. I'm still a little confused if there is going to be seating/what the set up is.

Calavera posted:

I'd say give them another chance. Of the half dozen times I've seen them, their lead singer (Dave) was drunk half those times. Really, when he's not drunk he sounds awesome. They put on a great show. If you haven't listened to it, I recommend their album "Good Luck."

I'd say.. don't give them another chance. I hate Big D, have seen them several times and the singer always grates on my nerves. His voice is just terrible.

Chipyy posted:

I don't think I know of any current UK ska bands. I love the Two-Tone bands (not so much the Beat, but everything else).

Mike_V posted:

Also, Bad Manners just toured the US if you all didn't know.

Saw them in Boston, they were AMAZING! One of my favorite local ska bands (The Allstonians) opened for them as well so that was just a great show all around.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dopo posted:

I went to the new years eve show and got tickets to all 3 shows at the parks.

FeatherPants posted:

I will be there. I'm still a little confused if there is going to be seating/what the set up is.

As long as the stage isn't too high off the ground, and they let us up to the stage, I'll be happy. I plan on getting there real early too just in case there is only so much room near the stage. I'm not getting stuck with a seat.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Just got back from the Bosstones/Dropkick Murphys show in Baltimore, loving awesome. There was one song I especially wanted to hear from each band, and I got both my wishes and some more awesome poo poo besides. My picks were "Don't Worry, Desmond Dekker" from the Bosstones and "God Willing" from the Murphys. :)

Other Bosstones highlights included "Everybody's Better," "1-2-8" and a cover of the mother loving Clash's "Rudie Can't Fail." They also walked on stage following a recording of "War."

Other Murphys highlights included "The Dirty Glass (!)," "Boys On The Docks," and uh inviting every girl who felt like coming up on to the stage to help sing "Kiss Me, I'm Shitfaced."

The Murphys played several encores; the first was Shipping Up To Boston, for which they were joined by the Bosstones. :)

(Spoilers in case they do this all tour and people want to be surprised.)

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

FeatherPants posted:

I don't think I know of any current UK ska bands. I love the Two-Tone bands (not so much the Beat, but everything else).

You're right really. A few years ago we had Lighyear and Capdown getting reasonably big, but the UK scene is very small and underground at the moment. I guess it's natural that as a Brit I view bands like The Specials etc as so fundamental and important to the roots of the ska sound, but a lot of the American bands just seem to me to be very far removed from what I think of as the 'real' ska sound, and just seem more like pop-punk bands that happen to have a brass section. But it's a matter of your own personal culture and perception I suppose.

chippy fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 10, 2008

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Chipyy posted:

I like some former Moon Ska EU bands (and random stuff). Solabeat Alliance, Spankboy, [spunge], The King Blues, SB6, The JB Conspiracy.

But generally no one over here has heard of any of them. I'm not really into two-tone though.

And JB Conspiracy is really really good.

edit: seriously, check them out http://www.myspace.com/thejbconspiracy

FeatherPants
Feb 24, 2007
'wicked' is an adverb too

Chipyy posted:

You're right really. A few years ago we had Lighyear and Capdown getting reasonably big, but the UK scene is very small and underground at the moment. I guess it's natural that as a Brit I view bands like The Specials etc as so fundamental and important to the roots of the ska sound, but a lot of the American bands just seem to me to be very far removed from what I think of as the 'real' ska sound, and just seem more like pop-punk bands that happen to have a brass section. But it's a matter of your own personal culture and perception I suppose.

I'd say a lot of the ska scene around here are 15-16 year males in high school band; pop-punk with a brass section appeals to them and so that's what becomes popular and those are the types of bands that they join and call ska. You can't forget about other US ska bands like The Toasters and The Slackers though. There are bands still making the 'real' ska sound but they tend to be an older crowd and thus less popular.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

FeatherPants posted:

I'd say a lot of the ska scene around here are 15-16 year males in high school band; pop-punk with a brass section appeals to them and so that's what becomes popular and those are the types of bands that they join and call ska. You can't forget about other US ska bands like The Toasters and The Slackers though. There are bands still making the 'real' ska sound but they tend to be an older crowd and thus less popular.

Let's not get carried away in calling the Toasters real ska. I love them, but they firmly owe their influences to Two-Tone and were at the vanguard of the rising US ska movement in the late 80s.

Slackers rule, though.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Can we not descend into a stupid argument about what is and isn't ska, Jesus gently caress

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just got back from seeing the Bosstones. They were amazing. Played a ton of songs from their entire library. No "Hope I Never Lose My Wallet" though :(. As they played the last note of their song the banner they had in the back dropped to reveal a banner of Obama with the word "Dream" under it. All pretty badass.

And then the Murphys came on and told us they were recording the show for a new live cd! I can't wait to go again tomorrow and saturday

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

guppy posted:

Can we not descend into a stupid argument about what is and isn't ska, Jesus gently caress

Sorry. Return to your discussion about SM/RBF/LTJ/Big D for 20 pages.

Fateo, do you notice that the Murphys shows seem to be getting less and less fun? There are just too many people there the last show I went to and it was impossible to get an actual pit going.

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 11, 2008

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

FateoMcSkippy posted:

And then the Murphys came on and told us they were recording the show for a new live cd! I can't wait to go again tomorrow and saturday

You saw one of my coworkers on violin for the Murphs.

Mike_V posted:

Fateo, do you notice that the Murphys shows seem to be getting less and less fun? There are just too many people there the last show I went to and it was impossible to get an actual pit going.

I saw their show in Lowell 3/15, and, while it was a friggin' Vegas revue with a cast of thousands on stage, it was also the kind of show where you came home thinking "That was great! I don't ever need to see them again."

Hoover Dam fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 11, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

guppy posted:

Yeah, god forbid we have a discussion about ska on this thread, of all places, jesus. Everyone go back to talking about the same three bands, nothing to see here.