Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

The King of Swag posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love both, I just find the "expedition" type off-roading more rewarding.

I agree with you there. Nothing is more enjoyable for me than packing the jeep and taking it to a campsite most people can't get to and seeing views most people don't try for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

I agree with you there. Nothing is more enjoyable for me than packing the jeep and taking it to a campsite most people can't get to and seeing views most people don't try for.

You guys have inspired me. As soon as I find a wrangler, I'm getting a trail gps and a tent and taking off for the weekend.... I'm even taking another student loan to pay for a 4.0L... yes I am that god damned stupid.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 9, 2023

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
I will get my jeep to Death Valley with in the next year. I don't care if I have to go broke doing it.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
I just wish I could get a few days off to be able to go out and do one of these expeditions. I find it odd that I possibly hate camping more than anything (as in, sleeping in a tent, ect), but love everything else about it. But I think that may just be a developed response to my school geology work, where they work from sunup to sundown, we drink and party all night, and then need to work from sunup to sundown the next day, ad nauseam for several days.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
Does anyone know how to remove the front fenders off a YJ? BESIDES a sawzall? I think there are 3 bolts in the front and maybe 4 in the back to the firewall? Anyone know for sure. I need to know, for, um, science.

Why?

because.

They need a bit of work before I put them on, but they will act as a temporary solution until I can weld up the real deal.

Tossed_Salad_Man fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 26, 2008

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

The King of Swag posted:

I have to be honest, when it comes to off-roading, I find much more joy in "expeditions", going far out into the middle of nowhere, around and over rough and inhospitable terrain...

Me too. I've had plenty of friends into mudding and rock crawling, and it's not a bad way to kill an afternoon. But I spent my entire childhood in the back of my family's Jeeps heading to the middle of nowhere, and that's stuck with me. Get away from civilization, see the things nobody sees. It also tends not to involve spending buckets of cash on a build, which doesn't hurt.

Tent + Jeep + nowhere = Happiness.

Unfortunately my ZJ just went into the shop for the last time and I have no idea what I'm going to replace it with. Shopping for a new Jeep in 110 degrees is going to be miserable.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Sindow posted:

This is the main reason I want to get a Jeep. I don't want to go to courses everyone goes to and try to skillfully go over a mile of terrain with a bunch of other people. That sounds fun, but what I really want to do is just go wherever the hell I want and camp out in the middle of nowhere. Planning out a trip, rationing out supplies, learning survival aid and all of those things combined with driving out in the middle of nowhere sounds like the best thing ever to me. It's like "oh, here is someplace that even in this day and age nobody ever goes to. there is nobody for miles. this rocks, time to bust out a guitar and a campfire."

This is what I want to do.
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8647

I thought about doing the Jeep Jamboree but just saving the money and doing something like this for yourself and a few friends and like minded people is where its at.

Heres a pic of me and my Jeep from a while back when I first got it. I have since added a thule rack on top :)

I love it.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Well, changing the transfer case chain has turned into a big failure. There is one bolt that I just can't get to budge to get the case apart. I'll need to drop the case, and I just can't do that right now. So I gotta put back together what I had apart and save the job for when I have some better tools and a proper place to do it.

:sigh:

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
For some good news, the trans tech at work fixed my trans leak and loosy goosy shifter all at once. Turns out the shifter assembly had unbolted from the trans (bolts worked loose over time) and since the shifter goes straight into the trans, this allowed all the oil to pour out around the assembly. He bolted it back down, filled the trans with fluid (which was apparently empty, although he said it didn't hurt anything) and I was good to go.

Now the leak should be gone and the transmission feels brand new, it's so tight.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
A good day for transmissions. I changed my AX-5s fluid for what had to be the first time (112k miles). What came out was a little milky, but pretty thick compared to the MT-90 that replaced it. Shifting has dramatically improved...getting into first and second was kind of a pain before, but now its a piece of cake.

And yes, I removed the "DO NOT REMOVE" bolt, but no I didnt use that as a filler hole.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I'm considering trading in my Corolla for this Jeep: http://tinyurl.com/646jeb
Now, I realize I am going from 32/40mpg to 14/20 or so, but I need something bigger and better in the winter than a FWD car with no ABS. I also plan to start hunting in the fall and something that can go offroad and haul a trailer with bambi on it would be a huge plus as well. Is the Liberty a true Jeep, or should I look for a Grand Cherokee? The one I listed is listed at $8995 for an 02 4x4 Limited with pretty much every option imaginable. Any kind of advice on the Liberty in general would be appreciated. I've read a bunch of reviews, but they're pretty split on whether or not it's actually a good SUV.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 9, 2023

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*

charliebravo77 posted:

Now, I realize I am going from 32/40mpg to 14/20 or so, but I need something bigger and better in the winter than a FWD car with no ABS. I also plan to start hunting in the fall and something that can go offroad and haul a trailer with bambi on it would be a huge plus as well. Is the Liberty a true Jeep, or should I look for a Grand Cherokee? The one I listed is listed at $8995 for an 02 4x4 Limited with pretty much every option imaginable. Any kind of advice on the Liberty in general would be appreciated. I've read a bunch of reviews, but they're pretty split on whether or not it's actually a good SUV.

Ah Liberty. There is a thread on it in AI right now: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2883470&pagenumber=2#lastpost

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy

charliebravo77 posted:

You can probably find a '99-'01 Cherokee with that many miles for less money.

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy
Since I finally got some pictures uploaded, here is my 1999 Cherokee Sport with ~85,000 miles that I bought last year for $5600. It has close to 100k miles on it now and the only thing I've ever done to it was replace fluids and filters. I plan on doing a big tune up next month though, my thought is..

new cap, rotor and wires
replace serp belt
replace water pump

and get some new heavy duty rear leaf springs for that ugly sagging rear rear end.

I bought it from a lady in her 60s that took amazing care of this Cherokee, I mean it was SPOTLESS inside. Over the year my wife has been driving it 98% of the time and she just trashed the hell out of it with her little brothers and sisters. :sigh:

Telven fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 30, 2008

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Gord bless Colorado! :patriot:

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Telven posted:

You can probably find a '99-'01 Cherokee with that many miles for less money.
I did actually! http://tinyurl.com/46rxnx

I'll be taking a look at it on Monday. I always thought the Liberty was pretty ugly anyway.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

Telven posted:

Welcome to the Desert Sand combo club! One of... not loving many.

I'd do anything to have that one back.

charliebravo77 posted:

I did actually! http://tinyurl.com/46rxnx

I'll be taking a look at it on Monday. I always thought the Liberty was pretty ugly anyway.
Ideally, you should be looking for a Cherokee (XJ, like the ones in this post), not a Grand Cherokee. It's a smaller vehicle, almost completely unrelated despite the name, that isn't prone to the issues common in the much more complicated Grand Cherokees. :)

OneOverZero fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 29, 2008

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

OneOverZero posted:

Ideally, you should be looking for a Cherokee (XJ, like the ones in this post), not a Grand Cherokee. It's a smaller vehicle, almost completely unrelated despite the name, that isn't prone to the issues common in the much more complicated Grand Cherokees. :)

That and Grand Cherokees just don't look as good

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Sindow posted:

That's cool, plus I'm pretty sure that white is my favorite color of Jeep. White Jeeps rock.

I wish I would have gotten the Forest Green. Too many silver ones on the road.

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy

OneOverZero posted:

The only way I'll be getting rid of mine is when someone has to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

That and Grand Cherokees just don't look as good

Lies! Unless you're talking about the WJs, or the 96+ ZJs, in which case high-five.

On another note entirely, how are the JK Wranglers holding up for you guys that have had them a while? I'm shopping for one, but people on the internets bitching about rusty hinges and the Freedom Top are making me worry.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Molten Llama posted:

On another note entirely, how are the JK Wranglers holding up for you guys that have had them a while? I'm shopping for one, but people on the internets bitching about rusty hinges and the Freedom Top are making me worry.

I have 13,000 miles on mine (X) and the only problem I had was with a leaky freedom top. I took it back to the dealership where they "tightened some bolts" and I never had it leak again. Now that its the summer, the top is mostly off anyway.

I love the JK, the ride is much more smooth than the older TJs but still feels completely at home out on the tough trails.

As for gas mileage, I recently took a trip to Vegas with a friend and averaged 22 mpg. Not bad!!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Molten Llama posted:

or the 96+ ZJs, in which case high-five.

This

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Molten Llama posted:

I'm sure this won't count for much since I only have about 750 miles on my JK, but I'm still very much in love with it.

I went camping this last weekend and took it on a few trails. It is now covered in dirt and mud, has some nice pinstriping on the tub, a dent in the right rear corner of the bumper, a dented tail pipe, and I realize I need some skid plates. I also ripped the rear driver's side fender off when I caught it on a stump. Fortunately, Jeep knew what they were doing - it popped right back on. I broke two or three of the fender clips so I'll buy some new ones, but you'd never know it came off by looking at it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Braincloud posted:

I'm sure this won't count for much since I only have about 750 miles on my JK, but I'm still very much in love with it.

I went camping this last weekend and took it on a few trails. It is now covered in dirt and mud, has some nice pinstriping on the tub, a dent in the right rear corner of the bumper, a dented tail pipe, and I realize I need some skid plates. I also ripped the rear driver's side fender off when I caught it on a stump. Fortunately, Jeep knew what they were doing - it popped right back on. I broke two or three of the fender clips so I'll buy some new ones, but you'd never know it came off by looking at it.

Goodness me I hope you aren't leasing that thing.

Jdohyeah
Apr 15, 2006

You... accuse... me?

ethanol posted:

Goodness me I hope you aren't leasing that thing.

What's wrong with leasing a Wrangler?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Jdohyeah posted:

What's wrong with leasing a Wrangler?

Heh, I think he was alluding to the fact that beating the crap out of a leased vehicle could wind up costing you a lot at the end of the lease.

But no, I bought mine.

In other news, if anyone is considering buying this TJ in Seattle:
http://tinyurl.com/65mx2p
let me know and I'll tell you everything that's wrong with it (it's my old one).

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Braincloud posted:

Heh, I think he was alluding to the fact that beating the crap out of a leased vehicle could wind up costing you a lot at the end of the lease.

But no, I bought mine.

In other news, if anyone is considering buying this TJ in Seattle:
http://tinyurl.com/65mx2p
let me know and I'll tell you everything that's wrong with it (it's my old one).

Man I wish I could buy it but it's above my price range. I'm looking for something similar at 6-7 k.

Anyways, does a 2" Rubicon express budget booster with a 1" body kit on 33" tires sound doable? Seems like I save a lot more than going with a big expensive suspension lift but still reap the benefits of getting some frame clearance.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
I know on cherokee's you can stuff 33's under a 3 inch lift with some trimming, not sure about the body clearance on other jeeps though

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 1, 2008

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
The thing about stuffing bigger tires isn't the clearance or the rub it's the timebomb in the rear axle. Unless it's a 44 or a 8.25 then supersize your tires all day long, but I've seen pics where people were driving on pavement, backing out of driveways and the d35 grenades.

A pet peeve of mine is the people who have the lifts, and tires and umpteen billion dollars of poo poo with that D35 sitting under there ticking away, and they look at ME like I'M the fag because of my shackle lift and 31's. I don't really like getting into much more than moderate stuff as I have my jeep because I'm afraid of that cocksucker making GBS threads the bed.

It's a gamble, there are some people who never have a problem with the 35 ever, and there are guys who have spent untold fortunes buying replacement parts and gears.

A story:

A while back, my buddy coerces me into going to uwharrie. We get down there and are getting the ticket/pass thing and this place is filled with jeeps and offroad vehicles. This group of 2 TJs pulls in with the shiny wheels and lifts and one had 34s the other had 33s. Shiny paint, really pretty jeeps.

They come out and one of em says, you gonna take that beater up on the trails? I told them that was the plan, douchebag says good luck with that brah, and him and his gaggle of twats pile in the pretty jeeps and drive off one of em saying what a piece of poo poo.

Several hours later there are the 2 pretty jeeps blocking the trail. There sat the jeep with the 33s with the rear drivers wheel on its side with the shaft pointing to the sky. The thing was it wasn't even a really difficult section, just this huge rear end hole that you drive through, and possibly could have gone around.

I stop and walk up and ask the one jeep if he can pull in front of or behind the broken jeep to clear the trail. Suddenly these guys found manners and are asking if I have tools or "know how to fix this".

I tell them they hopefully just need a new shaft and that I didn't have one. That maybe someone with a jeep has the parts and would be willing to fix/show them how to fix it. I then said the easiest fix would be to get a better axle or smaller tires, and then I drove off in my piece of poo poo beater.

I would love to pop a 3.5-4 inch lift on and run 33s or so, but I have 3.07s in a D35 and that would be nothing but pain and tears. BUT GODDAMN IT WOULD LOOK TUFF AS gently caress.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled posting.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Dicks on the trail can ruin your day. I run D35s but I do not oversize my tires, and even if I do they won't be too large, I rather like the stock look.

I'm running 3.73s any major difference between the D35 3.07 and the 3.73s gear ratio?

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

CommieGIR posted:

Dicks on the trail can ruin your day. I run D35s but I do not oversize my tires, and even if I do they won't be too large, I rather like the stock look.

I'm running 3.73s any major difference between the D35 3.07 and the 3.73s gear ratio?

Hills are a loving laff a minute with the 3.07s. The 8.8 I have is 3.55 and I ALMOST considered just bolting it in, since technically it'd work just tweak the springs in a hair. Also I have the TF999 3 speed auto.

I haven't decided on 4.10 or 4.56 when I do swap.

If I could find one in decent shape at a good price I'd get an AW4 and get the manual shifter kit for it, then I'd at least have OD.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So whats a good replacement for the Danas?

I almost wanted to say 'screw it' and put some 1 ton axles in from a M35

Haha, joke!

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
Ford 8.8 is an awesome swap. Or a D44, but the 8.8 is a huge increase in strength, it's weak point is the carrier which is remedied by a locker (not a lunchbox locker). I got my 8.8 for 200 bucks, cut from an abandoned 2000 explorer, and it is in wonderful shape, the only bad thing is it's 3.55 not 4.10s. There are 4.10 8.8s out there, but most junkyards seem tho think they contain gold.

Also it's a good idea to weld the tubs of the 8.8 just to add a little extra beef.

If you bolt in a 8.8 SUA the rear sits 5/8" lower because of the difference in tube diameter, which can be remedied by getting 5/8" lift shackles and normal up front.

I obviously know more about the 8.8 swap, I'm pretty sure it's stronger than the 44, but the 44 would bolt directly in no mods. I chose the 8.8 because of the price and how I came about getting it.

Also I haven't decided on SUA or SOA since I have a leaf sprung YJ. 8.8s can also go in TJs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
That joke about getting M35 1 ton axles is less of a joke now...

I am actually considering doing it now, their overall strength really outweighs their cost and weight increase.

Granted, I'd have to lift the Cherokee up 8" and get custom driveshafts, but it looks cool and makes you a little more bottom heavy

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

CommieGIR posted:

That joke about getting M35 1 ton axles is less of a joke now...

I am actually considering doing it now, their overall strength really outweighs their cost and weight increase.

Granted, I'd have to lift the Cherokee up 8" and get custom driveshafts, but it looks cool and makes you a little more bottom heavy

pirate4x4 is full of jeeps with 1 tons. I love that goddamn place. Buggies and jeeps with ridiculous modifications that can crawl up sheer walls, usually there are lots of rockwells for sale there, I've looked at them and thought "hell I'd need a new motor to turn them bitches".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

pirate4x4 is full of jeeps with 1 tons. I love that goddamn place. Buggies and jeeps with ridiculous modifications that can crawl up sheer walls, usually there are lots of rockwells for sale there, I've looked at them and thought "hell I'd need a new motor to turn them bitches".

Eh, for me I'd need a new transmission and transfer case and possibly a new motor.

Having an AX-5 sucks, I've had no problems with it, but its 'light duty'

That and crappy chain driven NV-207

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

You're telling me I need to upgrade my axle to put on 33" tires? Sounds a little extreme. I'm talking a 1997 Wrangler 4.0L here.