Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

NerdPolice posted:

Worst part of it is the drat CD drive. Each takes like 5-6 CD's where if it was a DVD you would only have a single disc.

Seriously look into installing it over an NFS share or something, that's just plain 1998.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanutmonger
Dec 6, 2002

Alowishus posted:

Do you need local GUI, or just GUI via VNC? Remember that a headless server can run remote VNC sessions... so if possible, save your memory by not running X on the server's display.

Do you mean remote VNC sessions, or X forwarding? X forwarding may be an option if everyone has an X server on their desktop, but if they plan on running long processes it might not work out so great.

Alternatively, if you need X to run on the server but don't need it (and/or can't get it to work) on a real display, try using 'Driver "dummy"' for your video device, just remember to set "VideoRam 32000" or something large enough to hold the frame buffer. When you fire it up, you can use the Xvnc module or x11vnc or whatever to vnc to it, and enjoy.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES

Peanutmonger posted:

Do you mean remote VNC sessions, or X forwarding? X forwarding may be an option if everyone has an X server on their desktop, but if they plan on running long processes it might not work out so great.

Alternatively, if you need X to run on the server but don't need it (and/or can't get it to work) on a real display, try using 'Driver "dummy"' for your video device, just remember to set "VideoRam 32000" or something large enough to hold the frame buffer. When you fire it up, you can use the Xvnc module or x11vnc or whatever to vnc to it, and enjoy.
Sessions have to be long lasting (hours, days and sometimes even weeks). Most users won't have an X server. Right now I am going to see how SuSE runs on the machine. Seems good so far after using some boot options to get it to install instead of just stalling.

Server doesn't need to have a local GUI but I myself am not that great with *nix and don't even know what to do once I have it up and running. I may give some of the helpful people above a private message if this bastard machine ever cooperates. Our cluster runs SuSE I believe and that performs very well so we will see.

dolvlo
Apr 13, 2007

by Ozma
Not sure if this has been posted yet or not, but it has been really irking me ever since I started using linux.

How do you make it so that your mouse scrollwheel scrolls the current active window and not the window your cursor is hovering over?

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
This guy I used to know used to have his desktop set up with a vertical dock, the catch was the dock had arrows at each end which allowed you to scroll through the programs. At any one time three were visible, with the ones on the edges more transparent. Unfortunately I don't remember if he was using KDE or Gnome. Does anyone know of such a dock?

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
Everything new I tried tends to lock up after install (if I get that far). Think it may be a problem with the GUI.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
Okay, never mind, I found it (I think). It's called raptor. The problem is when I try to follow the installation directions on their website, I get this error when I arrive to the part that requires cmake:

CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/FindKDE4.cmake:35 (MESSAGE):
ERROR: Could not find KDE4 kde4-config

Any suggestions?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Pie Colony posted:

Okay, never mind, I found it (I think). It's called raptor. The problem is when I try to follow the installation directions on their website, I get this error when I arrive to the part that requires cmake:

CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/FindKDE4.cmake:35 (MESSAGE):
ERROR: Could not find KDE4 kde4-config

You need kde development packages.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I installed kde-devel, it's still giving me the error.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

Pie Colony posted:

I installed kde-devel, it's still giving me the error.

You need the KDE4 development packages not the KDE3 set which is/was packaged as 'kde' by most distros. Also I think Raptor is very experimental still, but I hope I am wrong because it seemed like a ok idea.

Jul 22, 2007
I'm assuming you're using Somethingbuntu; if not, this might not work:

The package you need is, surprisingly, called kde4-devel, but Kubuntu installs KDE4 to /usr/lib/kde4, since putting it in /usr would make it clash with KDE3. This means you need to change some environment variables.

This is done automatically if you log into KDE4, but since I don't think it's really ready for regular use yet I have a function in my .zshrc to do this:

code:
kde4 () {
        export KDEDIRS=/usr/lib/kde4
        export KDE_SESSION_VERSION=4
        export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/kde4/lib
        export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=$HOME/.kde4/lib/kde4/plugins:/usr/lib/kde4/lib/kde4/plugins
        export PATH=/usr/lib/kde4/bin:$PATH
}
(I tried to translate it to bash but I may have got something wrong.) So putting this in your .bashrc, then running kde4 before CMake should make it behave, I think.

10011 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 28, 2008

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
Okay, I got past that part of the installation process (!) Now I used 'make', it ran for a while until this popped up:

In file included from /home/blahblah/raptormenu/launcher/main.cpp:7:
/home/blahblah/raptormenu/launcher/qtdisplay.h:34:38: error: X11/extensions/composite.h: No such file or directory

I installed qt4-designer from the Ubuntu backports repository as well.

Sorry to be such a nuisance.

Jul 22, 2007
Just a guess, but does installing libx11composite-dev help?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Pie Colony posted:

Okay, I got past that part of the installation process (!) Now I used 'make', it ran for a while until this popped up:

In file included from /home/blahblah/raptormenu/launcher/main.cpp:7:
/home/blahblah/raptormenu/launcher/qtdisplay.h:34:38: error: X11/extensions/composite.h: No such file or directory

I installed qt4-designer from the Ubuntu backports repository as well.

Sorry to be such a nuisance.

if you're on a debian-based distro, do apt-get build-dep a similiar kde4 application (or apt-file search when you end up with an missing build-related file)

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Hrmm.

I updated Transmission and it lost its tray-icon. The previous version had no window border icon (or applications list icon). Can't win them all I guess.

FWIW, the icon isn't present in the Xfce menu anymore either (it's just a blank).

foghorn
Oct 9, 2006

Haters gunna hate.
Quick newbie question: How much better is XFCE than GNOME in terms of resource usage? I'm running Fedora 9 on an old IBM X30, and squeezing as much juice out of it as I can takes precedence over looking pretty while doing it.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Running Xfce on my laptop uses about 90MB with nothing non-essential running.

Fijimunkii
Sep 11, 2001

four twenties
how do i upgrade the firefox that came with ubuntu hardy to the 3.0 final?

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

Fijimunkii posted:

how do i upgrade the firefox that came with ubuntu hardy to the 3.0 final?
It should be available in the hardy-updates(recommended updates) repository. If not it is in the backports repository. To enable hardy-updates: check the "Recommended Updates" box in "Software Sources" -> "Updates". For backports follow the guide here, but you should not have to because I am almost sure it is in hardy-updates.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Anyone have any experience with the network getting slow with Ubuntu or any other Linux distro? For some reason after xxx amount of time, the network speed drops from 500k/s to around 135k/s. This is a wired connection which then is bridged over a wireless connection. The problem is that once I restart the machine, it's fixed. I'm not having any problem with other devices on the network, and it seems to be this one only.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I am setting up Ubuntu 804 machines at work which authenticate to a Mac OSX 10.4.11 Server via LDAP. All is well with the authentication and mounting of the network home directory.
However I have an issue with the clashing of uid numbers. The uid number of 1000 is used on Ubuntu as the original local account, created during the installation of Ubuntu. The issue is, uid 1000 is used as the Directory Admin account under OSX Server. I have found after installing the LDAP client packages and running scripts to modify the LDAP and PAM config files, that the OSX uid hijacks the local uid on the Ubuntu machine.

Is there any way of changing the uid of an existing account under Ubuntu? I have done some searching with Google, but have no answers so far.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

You Am I posted:

Is there any way of changing the uid of an existing account under Ubuntu? I have done some searching with Google, but have no answers so far.

It should be sufficient to change it in /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow (and if ubuntu creates a group matching the username, /etc/group) and chown'ing any files the they owned.

Updating perms in homedir + files in /tmp (find /tmp -user 1000) probably gets you 99% of the way there

helixxo
May 2, 2005
edit: might have figured it out, one second..

helixxo fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 1, 2008

slow crow
Sep 29, 2007
B

slow crow fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 12, 2013

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow
This is a dumb question, but why hasn't anyone made a compiz or emerald plugin yet that duplicates Vista's frosted glass effect? It seems like an obvious thing to copy yet I can't see any option for it.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

tripwire posted:

This is a dumb question, but why hasn't anyone made a compiz or emerald plugin yet that duplicates Vista's frosted glass effect? It seems like an obvious thing to copy yet I can't see any option for it.

The Blur plug-in can do that with any window decoration that has alpha.

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

jegHegy posted:

The Blur plug-in can do that with any window decoration that has alpha.

:downs: Why the heck didn't I check that first? Thanks!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

covener posted:

It should be sufficient to change it in /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow (and if ubuntu creates a group matching the username, /etc/group) and chown'ing any files the they owned.

Updating perms in homedir + files in /tmp (find /tmp -user 1000) probably gets you 99% of the way there

Thanks. I have also found out from another friend that you can limit who can log in from a LDAP account by uid, so I have set it to give the machine a little bit of room if I need to setup any more local accounts (not likely, but hey).

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

aunaturale posted:

I have me a laptop at PII 187 mhz 192 MB of ram. Currently running Win XP Pro.

Any recommendations as to a linux system that will both run faster than windows on such a machine and that is easy to use? Thanks :)
Give drat Small Linux and Puppy Linux a look. I used Puppy on an old 233MHz laptop with about that much RAM and it worked pretty well.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
Here is an odd question:

At my new job most of our printers work off of cups. This isn't bad, the web interface is nice and I don't mind administering printers in this way. However I would like to change one thing. When a printer is locked, all users must contact me to have the printer unlocked. I feel that with the web interface there isn't much of a need to contact me. I was poking around cups and found that you can adjust what privileges users have. I just don't want a user to be able to lock and unlock printers which arn't in there location.

I found this link:
http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/Debian/2004-08/2848.html

which someone highlights the same problem, I was wondering if anyone has ran into this and how they figured it out.

HIERARCHY OF WEEDZ
Aug 1, 2005

Often I find myself starting a long job in a shell, then wanting to do other things while it works. I can suspend it and start GNU screen, but that job doesn't show up in the new screen terminal, since it's attached to the first shell. Is there any way to move that job to one of the terminals in screen to resume it?

helixxo
May 2, 2005
I installed linux (ubuntu) for the first time and am looking for drivers for the Gigabyte EP35-DS3L mobo. There seems to be some files with linux in the title on the driver cd that came with the mobo but I'm not sure what to do with them.

VV Ah, I see, thanks

helixxo fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 1, 2008

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

helixxo posted:

I installed linux (ubuntu) for the first time and am looking for drivers for the Gigabyte EP35-DS3L mobo. There seems to be some files with linux in the title on the driver cd that came with the mobo but I'm not sure what to do with them.

On UNIX-like systems in general, drivers are included in the kernel, or provided as automatically loading (and autodetected) kernel modules by your distribution. If stuff works, you probably don't need to do anything about them.

CUMGUARD
Nov 22, 2004

Aw, hell no! What's up, dog?
I've been having all kinds of wireless problems lately. I had a lot of issues when I upgraded to Gutsy (which I'm still currently running, Dell Inspiron 5100 notebook, 100gb hard drive, 512mb ram, 2.4ghz p4 processor). I had some major issues with my machine a few months ago and had to reformat it. since then, the only way i've been able to get my wireless to work is with RuTilT. My wireless card is a Zonet ZEW1501 pcmcia card, which runs on the Ralink rt2500 chipset. My most recent set of problems were with RuTilT, which gradually got to the point that it half the time it wouldn't see my network on it (even though it was the strongest network in range from any other computer), although it would see other networks sometimes, and then whenever I would hit the Site Survey button, the whole app would freeze to the point that i had to kill the process and restart it to get it to work. after a lot of research, i found that i might need to install the rt2x00 driver and blacklist a bunch of other drivers. I found a step-by-step guide in the Ubuntu forums, and after following the steps and restarting, seemed to make things work perfectly, right up until the first time my computer went into sleep mode. Ever since then, it won't even recognize the wireless card at all. when i run ifconfig, sometimes it shows up and sometimes it doesn't, but whether or not it shows up in ifconfig doesn't really matter, because either way, everything else acts as though the wireless card just wasn't there. this is incredibly frustrating since i FINALLY got it to work again, only to have it find another way to stop working as soon as i got around my last problem. if anyone has any advice on how i might be able to fix this and get my wireless card to work again, i would appreciate it very much, thanks.

SheriffHippo
Jul 18, 2002
I dislike the fonts that came with OpenSUSE, so I have installed Microsoft fonts in Gnome.

However, Only some fonts are changed. The default fonts are still displayed in many places. Is there a way to change all of the fonts?

If this is a Gnome issue, will the problem persist if I install Blackbox/Fluxbox instead?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

SheriffHippo posted:

I dislike the fonts that came with OpenSUSE, so I have installed Microsoft fonts in Gnome.

However, Only some fonts are changed. The default fonts are still displayed in many places. Is there a way to change all of the fonts?

If this is a Gnome issue, will the problem persist if I install Blackbox/Fluxbox instead?

There isn't really a single place you can make a change to modify the fonts in all your applications. Adding aliases for 'mono', 'sans-serif' and 'serif' via ~/.fonts.conf might help a litte, but really you need to attack each DE/toolkit/application that bothers you.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

SheriffHippo posted:

If the application is GTK/GTK2, it will still use your Gnome preferences. So if this is a Gnome issue, changing to Blackbox/Fluxbox will not change anything.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
can I turn off the windows focus feature in compiz? its really annoying that if I move my mouse ever so slightly away from a window it goes transparent...

Saliva
Jun 3, 2006
Its whats in your mouth
I'd like to preface my post with I've never used linux before. Right now I am playing with ubuntu server 8.04 and trying to get it running. I've managed to install the operating system and setup an openssh server to where I can at least connect and SSH into the command line.

What I am trying to do is setup a wiki with client information and quick solutions I've found to frequent computing problems, so that I or my co-workers can find each others solutions to problems that have come up. I am using mediawiki, mostly because of the familiar look. I've managed to install the wiki and I can now use it through the web browser.

My problem is being unable to upload files to the wiki. I've gone and made the appropriate variable changes the LocalSettings.php file so the wiki would allow it, but when I actually go to upload the file it says the webserver lacks write access. I've managed to find some commands which I think might help, the chmod and chown commands. I am somewhat confused on the syntax, and also who/what to give access to. The error message the wiki gives me is "The upload directory (public) is not writable by the webserver." If anyone has any insight on this it would be much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Saliva posted:

My problem is being unable to upload files to the wiki. I've gone and made the appropriate variable changes the LocalSettings.php file so the wiki would allow it, but when I actually go to upload the file it says the webserver lacks write access. I've managed to find some commands which I think might help, the chmod and chown commands. I am somewhat confused on the syntax, and also who/what to give access to. The error message the wiki gives me is "The upload directory (public) is not writable by the webserver." If anyone has any insight on this it would be much appreciated.

You need to make "www-data" own the upload directory. Say the upload directory is /var/www/upload/ (it's probably something different.) You want to do:
code:
sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/upload/
sudo chmod 775 /var/www/upload/
That should work.