Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Not in London this February, it wasn't. Maybe it's a North American press thing?

On a side note, I went to a Merzbow concert and I pretty much hated it (sorry, Kai!). I'm glad I went for the experience, but my goodness, never again.

Merzbow isn't enjoyable (in the conventional sense) to me by any stretch of the imagination. I'm also glad I went but a bit hesitant to pay for another go - I guess I would have to listen to him more on record to get a sense for what he's trying to achieve.

MrBling posted:

Why would someone need to stand up for non-scandinavian black metal? Pretty much all the good stuff is from places that aren't Scandinavia.

These days, yeah. But as has been mentioned there are still hardcore "Bergen scene '94 only" fans who do a disservice to the genre as they ignore the output from non-Scandinavian countries.

I have a problem with the rise of NSBM that I think is linked to the rise of the non-Scandinavian bands, though. But that's just my personal opinion and I'm not starting a discussion.

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 7, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I wish Merzbow would come hang out in my neck of the woods :smith:

There's absolutely no BM scene around here that I know of.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

I am, how you say, Russian Guyovich
Darkspace - Dark Space III is out and it's the best BM album I've heard thus far this year. Ambient as hell but there are some loving killer riffs in here; totally unexpected.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Death Rotisserie posted:

Darkspace - Dark Space III is out and it's the best BM album I've heard thus far this year. Ambient as hell but there are some loving killer riffs in here; totally unexpected.

Yeah, it's a bit too ambient for my tastes but the album itself makes up for that.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Death Rotisserie posted:

Yeah I like what I've heard so far, it's nothing new but Darkspace is good at their style.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
It's time to plaaaaaaay...... Rate my local black metal band!!!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=96082173

Pretty decent for locals.

Deathly Cold Winds is by far their best song, and it's the newest, not being on either of their two releases, so I guess they're improving! They're self-described as 'classic' black metal, which you can roughly translate as a couple of dudes tremolo-picking the hell out of their guitars (occasionally with pleasing results).

Bonus points for the reasonably artful inclusion of a pentagram in their logo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Darkspace is definitely one of the best BM bands around. The new album is even better than I imagined it would be.

xkeyboardxmoshx
Jan 12, 2008
all this danger is turning me on...
josh, what darkspace album would you say is the best?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

xkeyboardxmoshx posted:

josh, what darkspace album would you say is the best?

Dark Space II for sure. All three are worth getting though.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
So it appears that the new Nachtmystium album, Assassins: Black Meddle, Pt. 1 has leaked. I'm pretty damned well impressed thus far with it. I believe several of the tracks can also be previewed on their myspace page.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Death Rotisserie posted:

By Ambient, would you say it's in the same vein as some of the late Burzum albums? Or am I totally off? I dunno I'm looking for the spiritual successor to Filosofem. Who can reccomend me that?

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

So it appears that the new Nachtmystium album, Assassins: Black Meddle, Pt. 1 has leaked. I'm pretty damned well impressed thus far with it. I believe several of the tracks can also be previewed on their myspace page.

I thought it was pretty terrible. I couldn't even finish the album.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Is anyone here in love with the LLN type music? I can't get enough of their stuff, its so creepy.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...
So I'm getting caught up on some black metal stuff lately. Listened to Azaghal's Omega and loved it, and I snagged Darkthrone's Frostland Tapes, which marks my first exposure to this band. Apparently, this set is all their old demo stuff and some other early stuff after that. So far, it's really impressing me! Some almost doom-ish riffs going on, horrid production values (seriously, sounds like they recorded these in their living room and/or barn, which is probably not far from the truth) that somehow add to rather than take away from the experience, and just all around badassery. Very raw, very awesome.

In looking the band up, I see early in this thread high praise for FOAD, which I will now search out. What other albums by these guys should I get? If their later stuff is as good as the early, I'm in for a treat.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Diseased Yak posted:

In looking the band up, I see early in this thread high praise for FOAD, which I will now search out. What other albums by these guys should I get? If their later stuff is as good as the early, I'm in for a treat.

If you end up enjoying F.O.A.D. I'd recommend the previous album, The Cult Is Alive. Personally, as far as their older material goes, Transilvanian Hunger, Rasvishing Grimness and of course A Blaze In The Northern Sky gets the most playtime for me. It really just depends on what you like the most. While I haven't picked up the comp of their early demos, I imagine there is a lot of difference since them and the newer crusty/punk Darkthrone stuff.

In all seriousness... everything!

Noktorn
May 30, 2008

Gvaz posted:

Is anyone here in love with the LLN type music? I can't get enough of their stuff, its so creepy.

I guess there's a possibility that the LLN somewhere turned out music apart from Mutiilation and Aakon Keetreh that was worthwhile but I haven't stumbled across it yet.

alkali
Jul 20, 2006

I LIKE TO KEEP IT IN THE FAMILY - WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE

Diseased Yak posted:

So I'm getting caught up on some black metal stuff lately. Listened to Azaghal's Omega and loved it, and I snagged Darkthrone's Frostland Tapes, which marks my first exposure to this band. Apparently, this set is all their old demo stuff and some other early stuff after that. So far, it's really impressing me! Some almost doom-ish riffs going on, horrid production values (seriously, sounds like they recorded these in their living room and/or barn, which is probably not far from the truth) that somehow add to rather than take away from the experience, and just all around badassery. Very raw, very awesome.

The newest albums sound like a totally different band. They've moved from death metal through black metal to some sort of black n' roll. If you enjoy the Frostland Tapes, your safest bet is Soulside Journey and Goatlord.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

Gvaz posted:

I think LLN was a huge joke that everyone was in on except Mutiilation and Vlad Tepes. They're the only ones who seem to have released sincere attempts at music (hell, some Mutiilation is good) unlike the laughable farce of a band Brenoritvrezorkre.

Avant Gardening
Jul 24, 2007
"...And if you wondered what Time sounded like it sounded like water running in a dark cave and voices crying and dirt dropping down upon hollow box lids, and rain."
can someone recommend me some stuff along the lines of ash pool and akitsa? anything filthy and hateful. i don't care for most of the lln bands, for a number of reasons, so don't suggest that.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*
Nazxul are an Aussie atmospheric black metal band that are totally awesome, and a massive stand out for me on the Aussie black metal scene.

Here's the only non live track I could find on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bH_8nCxEAg

If you like it live, here's another awesome track, Vow of Vengeance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1HthUexcs4

I know it's not as kvlt as some dudes recording onto a phonograph in a forest cave in Latvia, but I think it's still pretty awesome.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Diseased Yak posted:

Darkthrone? Well, I'd say every loving one, but I'm a fan. :shobon:

Under a Funeral Moon, Transilvanian Hunger, Goatlord, Ravishing Grimness, Plaguewielder, and The Cult Is Alive should get you started.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
You can easily skip Ravishing Grimness. I'd suggest you get Soulside Journey but that's really a death metal album. It is still completely and totally awesome.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. As luck would have it, Amazon appears to have the entire Darkthrone discography in their MP3 Download service. At least it looks like it, something like 20 albums.

I snagged Soulside Journey, Goatlord, and The Cult is Alive to start with. On track #2 of Soulside right now and I'm loving it. Totally loving awesome.

EDIT: Ok, I like Goatlord as much or more perhaps than Soulside Journey.

Diseased Yak fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 2, 2008

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

catbread.jpg posted:

A month late, but these guys are pretty loving good, imo.

12th and chicon
Jul 2, 2008
NO.
nevermind.

lazer bullet
May 23, 2007

So I'm a massive black metal newbie. I've had Sons of Northern Darkness for a few months though since I heard it was nice and thrashy and it's easily one of my favourite albums now. I just picked up 1184, Darkspace III and Darkthrone's newest due to the recommendations in this thread, since I wanted a taste of some of the ambient stuff and apparently Windir is required listening. I haven't had that many chances to listen through 1184 yet, but I absolutely love the track Journey to the End. Now I know this is probably one of their more "accessible and catchy" songs, but so far I'm liking this album a lot. I've listened to a bit of Drudkh in the past too, they seem to have a similar sound.

As for Darkspace, I'm not sure whether it's for me. I'm sure it'll grow on me, but it seems as though it's the sort of thing I'd have to be in a certain mood to listen to. I read that Darkspace II was better than III, but if anyone can recommend some "required listening" as far as things in Darkspace's veign go I'd appreciate it. Keep in mind I'm still relatively fresh to the genre, so anything that should be obvious probably isn't to me.

FOAD is good fun to listen to, going to grab a bit more of their stuff now too I think. I'm also a moron for not grabbing the rest of Immortal's stuff after liking Sons so much, but I think my next stop is Pure Holocaust.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Holocaust is a big step away from where Sons ended up, but in terms of less melodic black metal, it's their best poo poo by a mile.

If you dug what you've heard of 1184, Likferd is every bit as good (Blodssvik is my favorite song of theirs) and there's a bit of a push of new bands like them. If you look back a few pages my posts will be littered with them, all have myspace pages.

If you end up liking Pure Holocaust, Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse is similar and every bit as required.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
If you enjoy Sons of Northern Darkness, you're in luck because At the Heart of Winter and Damned in Black are both in the same vein. Highly recommended.

np: Mirrorthrone - De l’Échec et de son Essentialité [point 1. marginalité démystifiée] "Carriers of Dust"

Anyone else into Mirrorthrone? Victor, the mastermind behind Mirrorthrone, amongst other bands, is an absolute genius! If you want to check them out, I highly recommend Gangrene and Carriers of Dust.

I recently started listening to Keep of Kalessin. The riffing on Armada is totally sinister, and kicks your rear end right away with Crown of the Kings.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

deltawing posted:

If you enjoy Sons of Northern Darkness, you're in luck because At the Heart of Winter and Damned in Black are both in the same vein. Highly recommended.

np: Mirrorthrone - De l’Échec et de son Essentialité [point 1. marginalité démystifiée] "Carriers of Dust"

Anyone else into Mirrorthrone? Victor, the mastermind behind Mirrorthrone, amongst other bands, is an absolute genius! If you want to check them out, I highly recommend Gangrene and Carriers of Dust.

I recently started listening to Keep of Kalessin. The riffing on Armada is totally sinister, and kicks your rear end right away with Crown of the Kings.

Mirrorthrone's been pimped a lot in this and the other thread a lot of it was by me I think :shobon: I really like his newest album, unfortunately I cannot say the same for Keep of Kalessin's. It's not bad but I find myself just listening to Armada again.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Mirrorthrone's been pimped a lot in this and the other thread a lot of it was by me I think :shobon: I really like his newest album, unfortunately I cannot say the same for Keep of Kalessin's. It's not bad but I find myself just listening to Armada again.

Glad to hear Mirrorthrone has been pimped already! I'm new to SA, one could say, I've rarely used my account until now and I am going to be more active in the discussion here.

I can't help but agree with you about the new Keep, sadly. Really the only thing I think Kolossus has on Armada is a better intro song. Other than that Kolossus just isn't like Armada so much, and I knew it would be different in a not as good way once I heard the opening of The New Empire's Birth.

Maybe if I had never heard Armada would Kolossus be a better album, but for now I'll stick to the notion that Kolossus isn't as great.

http://www.last.fm/user/deltawing12/
Sergeant Rathbun - USMC
Operation Iraqi Freedom 05-07 Oct 06 - Apr 07

lazer bullet
May 23, 2007

Thanks for the recommendations guys. :) Grabbed Damned In Black, Pure Holocaust and At The Heart of Winter yesterday along with Likferd. Damned is probably my least favourite of the three, but the title track in particular is really enjoyable. The other two are great, as well. Holocaust is pretty intense and good fun to listen to. I won't crap on about old news, although I'm afraid I haven't really got anything substantial to contribute to the thread. Time to go sifting through again. :)

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The title track of Pure Holocaust has the Imperial March as the chorus riff.

Once you hear you can't ever un-hear it.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
Edit: ^^^ You are absolutely right. God drat.

deltawing posted:

Mirrorthrone is incredible. Thanks again to THE AWESOME GHOST and all other Mirrorthrone pushers - I have a new favourite band.

lazer bullet: What other kinds of metal/music do you like? If you like thrashy stuff, Orthodoxyn by Arkhon Infaustus might suit you (or am I going out on a limb?). For ambient, I'm assuming you've already got Burzum, right? On a kind of similar note, I know they catch a bit of stick round here, but Wolves In The Throne Room's Two Hunters is an atmospheric folk-influenced album which I like a lot.

If you're into folk at all, I highly recommend Verisäkeet by Moonsorrow, who incorporate a lot of black metal elements into their music, but you might want to disregard this as I will recommend Moonsorrow to absolutely everybody every chance I get in a manically obsessed kind of way. Ahem.

David Sirlin
Mar 28, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Morbid Florist posted:

Holocaust is a big step away from where Sons ended up, but in terms of less melodic black metal, it's their best poo poo by a mile.

How is Pure Holocaust less melodic than than SOND? Are you just conflating "melodic" with "commercial"? To me, Immortal's later work seems to be typified by a decrease in complex melodic content.

Anyway, Burzum's "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" is absolutely required black metal listening what with it being the best black metal album and all.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

polarity posted:

How is Pure Holocaust less melodic than than SOND? Are you just conflating "melodic" with "commercial"? To me, Immortal's later work seems to be typified by a decrease in complex melodic content.

I am conflating nothing, since that doesn't mean what you think it does. But you're equating melody with complexity. I said nothing about complexity at all, just that melody was the focal point later on, where I don't hear that happening on earlier records.

David Sirlin
Mar 28, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Morbid Florist posted:

I am conflating nothing, since that doesn't mean what you think it does. But you're equating melody with complexity. I said nothing about complexity at all, just that melody was the focal point later on, where I don't hear that happening on earlier records.

I think you are bad at listening to them

Avant Gardening
Jul 24, 2007
"...And if you wondered what Time sounded like it sounded like water running in a dark cave and voices crying and dirt dropping down upon hollow box lids, and rain."

lazer bullet posted:

As for Darkspace, I'm not sure whether it's for me. I'm sure it'll grow on me, but it seems as though it's the sort of thing I'd have to be in a certain mood to listen to. I read that Darkspace II was better than III, but if anyone can recommend some "required listening" as far as things in Darkspace's veign go I'd appreciate it. Keep in mind I'm still relatively fresh to the genre, so anything that should be obvious probably isn't to me.

You should check out everything by Paysage d'Hiver, since Wintherr, the musician behind it, is also in Darkspace. Their self-titled is my favorite black metal album, but really everything by him is worth checking out.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

If you're into folk at all, I highly recommend Verisäkeet by Moonsorrow, who incorporate a lot of black metal elements into their music, but you might want to disregard this as I will recommend Moonsorrow to absolutely everybody every chance I get in a manically obsessed kind of way. Ahem.

That is OK, as I do the exact same thing as well. (hint: Everybody listen to more Vintersorg).

I have heard some of Moonsorrow's stuff, and I have to agree - folky yet black in a pleasing combination.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

lazer bullet posted:

Thanks for the recommendations guys. :) Grabbed Damned In Black, Pure Holocaust and At The Heart of Winter yesterday along with Likferd. Damned is probably my least favourite of the three, but the title track in particular is really enjoyable. The other two are great, as well. Holocaust is pretty intense and good fun to listen to. I won't crap on about old news, although I'm afraid I haven't really got anything substantial to contribute to the thread. Time to go sifting through again. :)

Yes, Damned in Black is the weakest of the three, but like you said, the title track is phenomenal.

I would recommend to you Blizzard Beasts next. It's pretty short, just short of a half hour, IIRC. It's quite brutal and in your face heavy, which is nice, and leaves you wanting for more.

I personally haven't listened to Pure Holocuast yet, always been more of a fan of Black Metal with decent production at least, but since it's Immortal, I will have to give a listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Mirrorthrone is incredible. Thanks again to THE AWESOME GHOST and all other Mirrorthrone pushers - I have a new favourite band.

Make sure you check out his other bands in which he is the only member of, and from what I've heard thus far, sound rather similar to Mirrorthrone.

Unholy Matrimony, Weeping Birth, Deafening Loneliness and Accurst Journey

Unholy Matrimony - Love and Death is pretty drat good, the rest I have not heard yet, but it may give you something else to explore.

http://www.last.fm/user/deltawing12/
Sergeant Rathbun - USMC
Operation Iraqi Freedom 05-07 Oct 06 - Apr 07