Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

His little monologue about family in the finale was awesome too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Watching Season 3 of the Wire. I just can't believe what a great show it is, I know people are all crazy about it, but it's really the best show I have ever seen.

I thought during the middle of Season 2 that it was dragging a bit, but my how wrong I was. Everything about the show is top drawer.

Whitney
May 4, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Just got the second disc of Mad Men from Netflix, so I can start up again where I left off (last episode I saw was "5G").

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Just powered through both seasons of Life On Mars. Absolutely brilliant TV. Manages to be both tongue in cheek "hey look we are in the 70s" and serious crime drama in equal measures without getting overly campy or dramatic.

I've just started on Ashes to Ashes but it seems a weak follow on; the series seems to have amped up the camp and it really suffers from the lack of the Sam Tyler - Gene Hunt dynamic. I'm only two episodes in though so I'm keeping an open mind.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

His little monologue about family in the finale was awesome too.

I was partial to the Lucky Strikes meeting in the first couple episodes.

"Well, we cure it, then toast it, then..."
"That's it! Lucky Strikes - It's Toasted"
"But the other guys toast it too."
"So what? The public doesn't know that."

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I'm on Season 3 of The Wire and only slightly wishing it was as cohesive as Season 2. I guess that's kinda the point of the season arc, though.

I was planning on starting Always Sunny over again in late August so my friends could be brought into the loop when season 3 hits, but the Dayman commercial is making me have withdrawals.

Forgone Conclusion
Aug 13, 2007
Let's see . . . as far as shows that are already over go . . . I've seen Buffy, Angel, The Office UK, Extras, Seinfeld, The Sopranos, Blackadder, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Mr. Show, and The Wire. Not to mention all the shows I watch that are still on the air.

Currently just finished season 2 of Deadwood. Awesome show so far, but I was wondering something, so Deadwood fans listen up.

I know that it was cancelled, and not ended by it's creator, so I was wondering if season 3 provides any real closure, or if it leaves you hanging. I would look on Wikipedia or another website, but I'm afraid of finding spoilers. If any fans could help me on this, that would be great.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
BSG season 2 and Batman Beyond of all things.

Main Battery
Oct 20, 2005

Never Again Volunteer Yourself
Just watched all 5 seasons of Angel at the behest of my girlfriend. I'd never watched it when it originally aired, and now I seriously regret that. What an awesome show.

I'm currently watching Keen Eddie, and just finished disc 2. Another truly awesome, but underappreciated show.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
Dead like me. How have i never ever heard of this before last week? It is funny, witty, compelling and has that hint of seriousness mixed in that not all TV series can do.

Plus it has Manny Patinkin in it, I keep expecting him to say "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die"

If no one has checked this series out please go look it up on Netflix, its awesome.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I've finished the first five seasons of The Shield. Will be watching the sixth as soon as it's out. Until then, I've started watching The X-Files, and am through the first 12 episodes.

DJPress
Sep 23, 2006

Lone Wolf and... Lemur?

Corporal_Hicks posted:

Just watched all 5 seasons of Angel at the behest of my girlfriend. I'd never watched it when it originally aired, and now I seriously regret that.

Why?

You just got to burn through the entire series in days/weeks without commercial interruptions instead of having to watch one a week for 5 years at a specific time, with commercials.

It's not like that show was the talk of the town when it was out or anything.

atlas futon
Oct 31, 2004

would you kindly sit down
Finally got around to watching Dexter. Completely blew me away; it lived up to all the hype I had heard about it and then some. I would say I regret not watching it sooner, but now I've got that much less time to wait before season three.

Quick edit: I think Breaking Bad is next on my list. After that, maybe BSG.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Officer Farva posted:

Until then, I've started watching The X-Files, and am through the first 12 episodes.

Stop watching X-Files at the end of season 7. Or maybe it's 8, I lost track - but if you come an episode that has Robert Patric replacing Mulder, you know you've gone too far.

Archonic
Oct 11, 2003

bury me with it
Sweet, sweet Battlestar Galactica. I dodged this show like the plague, thinking it looked incredibly dumb from the trailers and commercials I had seen (and I had only seen a handful of episodes from the original series, which didn't help the new series' case) and continued to blatantly ignore every good thing I had heard about it. It wasn't until after I had read some interview with Joss Whedon, after just finishing and loving Firefly, where he stated that BSG is one of the greatest television series ever made, that I decided to give it a go.

The mini-series kicked my dick in. Ever since then, I've been plowing through it as fast as Netflix can send me the DVDs. God, what a great show.

Nthman posted:

Dead like me. How have i never ever heard of this before last week? It is funny, witty, compelling and has that hint of seriousness mixed in that not all TV series can do.

Did you feel it started off kind of slow, but picked up steam as it went? I tried to give this series a chance last year, and completely hated it--which I can't figure, because I'm usually all about shows that deal with death with any measure of wit. If I can write it off to the first few episodes, I might give it another shot.

Bert Fegg
Sep 3, 2006

Deadwood - I hate hate hate westerns but Season 1 was the most brilliant TV thing I've seen in a long time. Positively Shakespearian in places. Ran through the first season in two nights.

I've actually been putting off getting the final two seasons because I know that's all there is and I want to space out my enjoyment.

Bert Fegg fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 4, 2008

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
After staying up all night with a group of people watch Weeds, I blew through the 3rd season and caught up (as it seems I really missed nothing plot wise in season 2 I couldn't pick up right away)

I want to get through more of BSG, but I'm already a total dork for it. And I'd like to rewatch Avatar before the big end but I don't see that happening. Also: Burn Notice. Love it, but I don't keep up with it to know where it is.

Invisible Scrotum posted:

My brother whipped out his Venture Bros. S1/S2 the last couple of weekends, and now I'm wondering why the hell I hadn't been watching the show before.

The only thing that sucks is I don't have Cartoon Network/Adult Swim so I can't catch up to the present in season 3.

Check out The Fix thread, there's no way we can't help you there.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy

Archonic posted:

Did you feel it started off kind of slow, but picked up steam as it went? I tried to give this series a chance last year, and completely hated it--which I can't figure, because I'm usually all about shows that deal with death with any measure of wit. If I can write it off to the first few episodes, I might give it another shot.

I can see how you could take it that way. I think it does pick up later on after awhile. The best episode if you ask me is the one where the rich snobby mom from Dharma and Greg dies but wont go away. I say to give it another shot.

Oh and for you other Dead Like Me fans, USA is bringing the series back for a 3rd season.. without Manny though. :( Cant wait though!

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Nthman posted:

Oh and for you other Dead Like Me fans, USA is bringing the series back for a 3rd season.. without Manny though. :( Cant wait though!

What's this?! Why did the movie thread not get bumped with this information!? People need to know!

It's not really happening is it? :( And if it is, Laura Harris?

essaywhutman
Dec 13, 2002

by Ozma
My wife and I are on the 3rd season of Six Feet Under. I really can't say enough good things about this show.

Bograth
Dec 22, 2007

by angerbeet

Dayvan Cowboy posted:

My wife and I are on the 3rd season of Six Feet Under. I really can't say enough good things about this show.

Beware, Season 4 is pretty AWFUL but Season 5 is absolutely fantastic.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Bograth posted:

Beware, Season 4 is pretty AWFUL but Season 5 is absolutely fantastic.

I just finished 4, I wouldn't say it was that bad. But it did pick up near the end. God what a depressing show.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I'm seriously considering getting the six season box set of Hogan's Heroes. I can in no way afford it, but drat if it isn't my favorite retro TV show.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
After successfully ignoring 24 for years, my wife and I finally started watching through it on Netflix. We're 2/3 of the way through season 4 at the moment. I like it okay, but god drat does it get formulaic. And ridiculous.

Bograth
Dec 22, 2007

by angerbeet

calandryll posted:

I just finished 4, I wouldn't say it was that bad. But it did pick up near the end. God what a depressing show.

The Art school stuff nearly bored me to tears and the whole Tuba guy stuff...

Still, the show is probably one of the best shows I've seen.

DJPress
Sep 23, 2006

Lone Wolf and... Lemur?

mofolotopo posted:

After successfully ignoring 24 for years, my wife and I finally started watching through it on Netflix. We're 2/3 of the way through season 4 at the moment. I like it okay, but god drat does it get formulaic. And ridiculous.

The latest aired season of 24 (6?) is not only more formulaic than the others, but it's a goddamn soap opera "We can't do that, I'm sleeping with her too..." I would steer clear of it, so as to avoid a good amount of netflix renting.

Something interesting about 24, is that they kind of wing the episodes. I don't want to give anything away, but a certain actor got a role in a pilot so he/she didn't come back, but then when the series got canceled they showed up later in the season. I think at any given time, they only have about 4 or 5 of the episodes written in advance.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy

Fishylungs posted:

What's this?! Why did the movie thread not get bumped with this information!? People need to know!

It's not really happening is it? :( And if it is, Laura Harris?

Here you go my friend. Looks like all of the original cast except for Manny Patinkin.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1079444/

Edit: Oh... ohhhh, maybe ths is the movie. I was reading the IMDB wrong and now im sad again.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
Spooks. 2 Seasons down, 4 to go. I'm very impressed so far, it's a fantastic show.

archaeopteryx
Oct 30, 2005

Lt. Jebus posted:

I've just started on Ashes to Ashes but it seems a weak follow on; the series seems to have amped up the camp and it really suffers from the lack of the Sam Tyler - Gene Hunt dynamic. I'm only two episodes in though so I'm keeping an open mind.

I finished Ashes To Ashes a few days ago. At first, I thought Alex was quite annoying ("Hello figments of my imagination!" rinse, repeat every ten minutes.) but I started to like her a few episodes in. And maybe it's because I'm easily entertained but I love how campy this show is at times. The hommage to Miami Vice in the first episode was awesome. My personal favourite is a scene in episode 7; Gene Hunt in slo-mo and Ultravox's Vienna.
Hope you keep watching, I think it's absolutely worth it (if only for Gene's one liners).

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Mu Zeta posted:

Oh my god, I don't even watch the show but that is sexy as hell.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

DJPress posted:

Something interesting about 24, is that they kind of wing the episodes. I don't want to give anything away, but a certain actor got a role in a pilot so he/she didn't come back, but then when the series got canceled they showed up later in the season. I think at any given time, they only have about 4 or 5 of the episodes written in advance.

The rumour for season 7 is that it's all planned out right now.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a96215/kiefer-promises-best-24-season-yet.html

(regarding the strike)

quote:

"After so many postponements, I can assure you that none of us at 24 took for granted the significance of this upcoming season," Sutherland explained.

"But the time allowed us to do something that has never been done before - create a map of the entire season before we started shooting. So I can tell you without hesitation, I know for a fact, that Season 7 is going to be the best season yet."

I remain hopeful for season 7.

mofolotopo, while I can agree season 6 is easily the worst, season 5 is arguably the best. (It won the Emmy for Best Drama Series that season) Season 4 I admit is 'second worst'.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Nthman posted:

Here you go my friend. Looks like all of the original cast except for Manny Patinkin.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1079444/

Edit: Oh... ohhhh, maybe ths is the movie. I was reading the IMDB wrong and now im sad again.
Mandy Patinkin leaves Criminal Minds and doesn't even do so to go back to Dead Like Me? Seriously, what the hell.

And yes, his first name is Mandy, not Manny.

Bombajio
Jan 23, 2006

Hasta la vista, meatbag!
That 70's Show is quickly becoming one of my favorite shows. And I've only just finished the first season. Why did I ignore it for so long?!

DJPress
Sep 23, 2006

Lone Wolf and... Lemur?

Bombajio posted:

That 70's Show is quickly becoming one of my favorite shows. And I've only just finished the first season. Why did I ignore it for so long?!

It's so good! I just went through the first 4 seasons in a week or two (nothing to do during the summer) I had to take a break from watching it, just because each season is about 25 episodes, putting my total at around 100 watched, so I needed a hiatus. But I'm gonna start back up soon.

Edit: During the Hiatus of that 70's show, I'm blitzing through all of Futurama, in celebration of the new dvd.

DJPress fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 7, 2008

Main Battery
Oct 20, 2005

Never Again Volunteer Yourself

DJPress posted:

Why?

You just got to burn through the entire series in days/weeks without commercial interruptions instead of having to watch one a week for 5 years at a specific time, with commercials.

It's not like that show was the talk of the town when it was out or anything.

Since you put it that way, I don't feel so bad anymore. :D

Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster
I never thought I'd like Scrubs. I had watched maybe 3 or 4 minutes of an episode but just couldn't get into it, it seemed to me like the show was trying wayyy too hard to be wacky for the sake of wacky. I can't stand this kind of humour when it's done with a wink.

After going against my original opinion on Six Feet Under, I decided to give it a couple of days ago. I liked the first few episodes, but episode 8 of season 1 really pulled me in. Now I've just finished episode 12 season 2 and I really really love it. I'm so glad I still have six seasons and a half to look forward to until it's over, I just hope the series doesn't go West Wing on me.

Also, Sarah Chalke is such a cutie :shobon:

I've been watching Breaking Bad (two episodes to go) too, and it's simply that amazing. Walter is definitely great and while I hate magic tv writing, I certainly wouldn't protest if they were to find a way out of their "time constraint" though I suppose they could still push it .

Anorak Revolution fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 7, 2008

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've probably only ever watched 4-5 episodes of Seinfeld. I'm about to embark on watching the ENTIRE SERIES some time this week. I'm kinda excited.

blackjack
May 22, 2004

The World's Mightiest Puppet!
We will be your water-cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
So because of this thread, I started watching Six Feet Under, and found the first and second seasons to be some of the best television I've ever watched. I found myself pretty disappointed with the first episode of the third season, though. Does the third season get better than the first episode? I really can't stand Lisa and her boss.