Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Vaporware posted:

For $2500 you had better be getting that GREAT body he's talking about. EACH rusted out body panel takes around $750-1000 off the total value of a willys. Everything except the front fenders and the hood is the body tub and you're talking chop and weld to replace things like the rear wheel wells.

I'd take a look at it, but it's not a great deal for a nonrunning 60 year old car.

Yes but it IS a willis, and they are hard enough to find as it is. May be the best deal you will find on one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
I'm wondering if anyone saw THE HAPPENING?

The wrangler scenes in that movie.

QUICK COVER THE VENTS. Like the little slit in the top was HOW the magic crazy pollen got to them. I actually exclaimed AWWWWWW gently caress YOU at that.

THEN that motherfucker chirped a wheel in 2nd, before he crashed into the tree and was thrown through the windshield.

um, AIRBAGS?

gently caress spoilers cause that loving shitpile sucked fetid assholes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I'm wondering if anyone saw THE HAPPENING?

The wrangler scenes in that movie.

QUICK COVER THE VENTS. Like the little slit in the top was HOW the magic crazy pollen got to them. I actually exclaimed AWWWWWW gently caress YOU at that.

THEN that motherfucker chirped a wheel in 2nd, before he crashed into the tree and was thrown through the windshield.

um, AIRBAGS?

gently caress spoilers cause that loving shitpile sucked fetid assholes.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy another American take on a Japanese horror film that ALREADY sucked before being made American.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

CommieGIR posted:

Oh boy oh boy oh boy another American take on a Japanese horror film that ALREADY sucked before being made American.

Even if I could suspend ALL disbelief in this movie, once they said cover the vents in the jeep as if that would miraculously seal all outside air from getting in, I just couldn't go on. I think if you sealed a wrangler completely with and then filled it up with that expanda-foam stuff it would STILL have air seeping in from somewhere.

That soft top slit was the reason for their doom, not the 300 million different places air would seep into that thing.

ALSO 3 people in the back, that poor bitch was sagging so bad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Even if I could suspend ALL disbelief in this movie, once they said cover the vents in the jeep as if that would miraculously seal all outside air from getting in, I just couldn't go on. I think if you sealed a wrangler completely with and then filled it up with that expanda-foam stuff it would STILL have air seeping in from somewhere.

That soft top slit was the reason for their doom, not the 300 million different places air would seep into that thing.

ALSO 3 people in the back, that poor bitch was sagging so bad.

I do hope this soft top Jeep Wrangler (read: swiss cheese) holds the spores at bay!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Jack_Handey posted:

Guess what guys, I killed a 4.0 today. I loving hydrolocked it and threw the #1 rod straight out of the oilpan. Anyone want to buy my Jeep for parts?
Actually, we're mostly wondering how the other five cylinders are running.

Also, The Happening was hilariously bad.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?

CommieGIR posted:

I'd purchase it if you live within 200 miles of me, needed one with an AX15 for my next conversion project

I'm in central NC, I'm going to part it out, anyone wants it, they can get it.

MORE BAD NEWS:

In between getting my jeep stuck last night and this morning, some fuckers stole my brand new goddamn TrXus 33's off of my jeep. So now it's sitting on its frame, blown engine, in the middle of the goddamn woods.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jack_Handey posted:

MORE BAD NEWS:

In between getting my jeep stuck last night and this morning, some fuckers stole my brand new goddamn TrXus 33's off of my jeep. So now it's sitting on its frame, blown engine, in the middle of the goddamn woods.

I'd come get it, what are you asking? Lack of tires won't stop me

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

CommieGIR posted:

Yes but it IS a willys, and they are hard enough to find as it is. May be the best deal you will find on one

They're not that rare, the frame and running gear in total aren't worth $2500 running.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vaporware posted:

They're not that rare, the frame and running gear in total aren't worth $2500 running.

Well then find me one :(

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I have some guys I know if you're serious.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Vaporware posted:

They're rare around here. Every one I've seen (and I havn't seen ANY for sale, just in guys back yards) are all rusted to absolute poo poo. I'm going to take a look at this one if he still has it.

If you know some guys with Willy's in the Okanagan area, fuckin' let me know. My dad wants to go halfers on one and restore it with me, as he used to own a 1948 or '49, I can't remember.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vaporware posted:

I have some guys I know if you're serious.

I am quite serious.

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy
I just got a new fuel mileage record for my Cherokee.

22 mpg. I got that by making a 300 mile round trip going about 67-70 mph, with making a stop or two. Which is pretty drat good considering my 2wd 2.2L S-10 gets about 25 mpg, drat aerodynamics.

Telven fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 7, 2008

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Ok, I'll see if they're still in the game and see what I can do for you. I was talking to a guy in georgia who had a parts farm/tons of jeeps, but I haven't kept up with him for 5 or 6 years now.

MrZig, You'd probably have better luck with a road trip to one of the dry states. You're somewhat close to the well respected Jeep Doctor who may or may not still be selling frames and recovered project jeeps. Try talking to some of the enthusiast groups instead of the classifieds. I haven't kept up with them either, but I always found the CJ-3B board helpful. I'd also watch willystech, g503 and other CJ or MB specific forums. Don't just buy the first one that comes around like I did. Having a good body tub takes the pain out of owning a willys.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I made a thread for this since it's an emergency but I'll post in here as well just in case.

So I'm changing out the wheel bearings on my Cherokee, the driver side goes off without a hitch but I'm stuck on the passenger side. I simply can not get the bearing off no matter what. I almost looks like it's rusted to the brake dust shield. For the life of me I can't get it off and this is m only driveable car.

HELP.

Here's where I'm stuck.

I've tried prying and pounding but it just doesn't want to move. Any suggestions?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vaporware posted:

Ok, I'll see if they're still in the game and see what I can do for you. I was talking to a guy in georgia who had a parts farm/tons of jeeps, but I haven't kept up with him for 5 or 6 years now.

MrZig, You'd probably have better luck with a road trip to one of the dry states. You're somewhat close to the well respected Jeep Doctor who may or may not still be selling frames and recovered project jeeps. Try talking to some of the enthusiast groups instead of the classifieds. I haven't kept up with them either, but I always found the CJ-3B board helpful. I'd also watch willystech, g503 and other CJ or MB specific forums. Don't just buy the first one that comes around like I did. Having a good body tub takes the pain out of owning a willys.

Let me know what you find out Vaporware. I will buy one if he is willing to sell.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 9, 2023

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sindow posted:

Liquid wrench + crowbar + hammer?

I have no LW and no means of getting to a store to get any. I'm a bit scared to put a pry bar on there as well but if that's the only way it's gonna get done I will do it.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Rhyno posted:

I have no LW and no means of getting to a store to get any. I'm a bit scared to put a pry bar on there as well but if that's the only way it's gonna get done I will do it.

I was going to suggest going and getting a slide-hammer but since you have no way to get to the store, I'd prolly go with the pry-bar.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There isn't some crazy hidden extra bolt on the passenger side or something?

I've slightly dented the brake dust cover in trying to get this drat thing off.

I'm so hosed. I've really hosed up the old one trying to get it off so there's no way I could eve put it all back together and safely drive it now.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Find someone to take you to Autozone and rent a claw puller, it has 3 claw like arms that will grab on to the hub, and a big bolt in the middle that you put on the axleshaft, tighten down the bolt, and it'll pop it out. That's what I had to do to my wheel bearings when even an Oxy/Acetyline torch wouldn't make it budge.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got it! I tried the prybar method and it didnt work at first but after a little coaxing (with a hammer) i was able to wedge it in and pry out the old bearing! Thans AI! You guys are life savers!

New smooth riding wonderfullness

She's totally quiet now. Thanks for the assist guys, like i said in my other thread I feel like a real AI poster now.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 7, 2008

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Jack_Handey posted:

MORE BAD NEWS:

That poo poo sucks. It's really bad near any popular wheeling spots, people hit up the trails for night runs, but you'll have a few folks looking out for disabled vehicles to salvage. I can't count the number of times we go back to help a guy recover his jeep and some of his gear and tools have been stripped out in 2-3 hours.

These days I always travel with one other truck and we have vhf/ham radios on board so if someone is disabled they stick with the vehicle w/ radio communication with the guy leaving to get parts. Although in the past we'll usually just drag the disabled vehicles back to civilization with the diesels.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Sindow posted:

While we're on this topic do most offroading people still use CB radios or are more of them getting their ham radio license now? Just getting Technician lets you use 2-Meter radios which should be good enough for use on trails.

I'm setting up my truck for both, I'm studying for my Tech license now so I can be 100% legal with the Ham guys. VHF/DX Radios kick the everliving poo poo out of CB for range and quality, I have no problems raising the forest service when I'm in the mountains in the middle of nowhere.

For awhile I was using a small vertex hand unit to communicate with my group, but I just picked up a mobile hacked yaesu-vertex unit to mount in my radio tray to go along with the hand held. I'll wind up picking up a separate cb unit so I can communicate with clubs that doesn't use the DX/VHF radios.

Many guys use the DX/VHF/Ham without licenses, which will get you flak from the HAM operators, especially if you're using their repeater, but I never had issues in the past.

Some of the ICOM units are pretty nice, if not pricey, I believe its an all in one unit radio, you can pick up EMT, air traffic, cb, you name it, but those start at 2 grand, so thats more reserved for hard core radio guys. For 2 grand I'd rather spend 250-300$ in radio gear and use the rest to buy tires, and some skid plates and other stuff.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Has anyone heard of someone swapping a 4.2 long block into a Jeep that previously had a 4.0? I can probably get a running 4.2 for basically nothing, and I know the 4.0 head bolts on, but what about the crankshaft and all that?

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
The 4.0 head will fit a 4.2 block. You MAY need to fill in some of the water jackets, in fact the 4.0 head on the 4.2 is an awesome upgrade. There is a company on ebay that sells the modified heads for around 400 bucks.

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=277013

Tossed_Salad_Man fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 8, 2008

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

The 4.0 head will fit a 4.2 block. You MAY need to fill in some of the water jackets, in fact the 4.0 head on the 4.2 is an awesome upgrade. There is a company on ebay that sells the modified heads for around 400 bucks.

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=277013

A 4.2/4.0 hybrid is actually what the 4.6l Stroker is. The reliability of the 4.0L with a lot more power. Supercharge it on top of that and you get into small-block power.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

The King of Swag posted:

A 4.2/4.0 hybrid is actually what the 4.6l Stroker is. The reliability of the 4.0L with a lot more power. Supercharge it on top of that and you get into small-block power.

I meant a 4.2 block and internals with a 4.0 head in a Cherokee. What would I have to do to make it fit?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I've heard of people replacing 258s with 4.0s, so I don't see why you couldn't do it backwards. Are you asking what you need to stuff it in your Cherokee? Next to nothing. All the 4.0 accessories should bolt up, just check stuff like rotation. Your mounts and bellhousing should work. You might need to snag a 258 clutch assembly and flywheel and Frankenstein that with what you have. Then deal with typical swap stuff like fuel lines, heating, cooling, etc. I think the biggest headache in the swap is getting electrics working.

markdown
Jan 14, 2008
2 baristas, one drink.
My new (to me) Jeep! Its a 96 XJ that I picked up for 1000 dollars. Its in mediocre condition and just needs a few minor repairs to get it on the road.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay so after yesterday's success I'm starting to feel confident. My Jeep's brakes feel a little soft lately so I figure I'm going to redo the brakes all around, pads, discs, rotors the whole shebang. Once again I turn to you guys for advice.

Are there any brands I should avoid? Any tips for this type of project? Things I should be aware of before I start? Any help/advice is welcome.

markdown
Jan 14, 2008
2 baristas, one drink.

Rhyno posted:

Okay so after yesterday's success I'm starting to feel confident. My Jeep's brakes feel a little soft lately so I figure I'm going to redo the brakes all around, pads, discs, rotors the whole shebang. Once again I turn to you guys for advice.

Are there any brands I should avoid? Any tips for this type of project? Things I should be aware of before I start? Any help/advice is welcome.

I need this advice also

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm gonna drive a wrangler (4.0) for the first time today.... any last minute warnings? :killdozer:

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

ethanol posted:

I'm gonna drive a wrangler (4.0) for the first time today.... any last minute warnings? :killdozer:

check near the bottom rear of the engine and transmission for oil leaks/drips. if you see drips the rear main needs to be replaced.

freshly painted engine/engine bays are many times hiding something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/747116649.html

I'm about to buy this tomorrow, can you guys tell if it's a Renix or a HO by looking at it? I can't quite tell, but I think it's a Renix, which makes me kinda sad because I told the guy I wanted it.