Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You're in for a whole lot of Lisa in season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I just noticed that the entire first season of Mad Men just showed up on Comcast On-Demand. I caught it in repeats, but missed the very last episode of the season, so I had been keeping an eye out for it.

smack632
Dec 31, 2007
They've been replaying all of Deadwood of HBOZ the past few weeks. loving incredible show. It's best watched with subtitles though, so you can get everything that is said.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I just got the complete Homicide Life on the Street so I will be watching this.

James Trickington
Apr 23, 2008
I just binged through The Wire (Season 3 oh god) and Entourage. My roommate went crazy and bought like 16 pounds of DVDs after his (late) economic stimulation check.

The Wire is incredible. Season 2 wasn't so great, since I found myself missing Avon's crew and my favorite one left the show. Season 3 was unbelievable since I was already a fan of Omar and Bubbles. Really awesome work there. I haven't watched any of this on HBO but I can't wait for season 4.

Entourage is pretty fun, though S3P2 ended with a little less boom that I would have hoped. Johnny Drama is definitely my favorite, and I like that Seth Green and Vince's boys fought in Vegas. Normally I'm pretty critical of shows that start slipping into whatever their writers experience in Hollywood, but this show's premise was being a star so it went smoothly.

When I binged on Dexter I was tempted to gush over it on the Dexter thread, but realized S2 was coming out in August. That show was phenomenal.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I had heard that Deadwood actually got cancelled. Is this right? If so, did it get a proper ending? I can't get into a series knowing it was cancelled without some sort of finality.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Rapsey posted:

Spooks. 2 Seasons down, 4 to go. I'm very impressed so far, it's a fantastic show.

Beware, after season 3 the show tries to be 24 waaaaaaaay too hard.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

jerkstore77 posted:

I had heard that Deadwood actually got cancelled. Is this right? If so, did it get a proper ending? I can't get into a series knowing it was cancelled without some sort of finality.

Still worth watching. There was talks about doing 2 movies to finish it up but it probably won't happen.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I just marathon'd Damages again and the second watching reaffirmed thats it the best television I've seen in years. I'm happy it got a two year contract extension despite mediocre cable ratings. Glenn Close is excellent as a Patty Hewes and Rose Byrne is perfectly suited as well. Ted Danson was the best performer though, he fit the billionaire fraudster to a T. I can't wait to see what they have lined up for season two.

Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster

Quisling posted:

I just binged through The Wire (Season 3 oh god) and Entourage. My roommate went crazy and bought like 16 pounds of DVDs after his (late) economic stimulation check.

The Wire is incredible. Season 2 wasn't so great, since I found myself missing Avon's crew and my favorite one left the show. Season 3 was unbelievable since I was already a fan of Omar and Bubbles. Really awesome work there. I haven't watched any of this on HBO but I can't wait for season 4.

You're in for a threat because Season 4 is the best Wire season, and one of the finest seasons of any shows ever.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Corbet posted:

I've probably only ever watched 4-5 episodes of Seinfeld. I'm about to embark on watching the ENTIRE SERIES some time this week. I'm kinda excited.

You're almost as bad as my friend who hadn't seen an episode of the Simpsons until about a month ago (he's 22). He's starting watching Season 3 and it took him a while to warm up to, but eventually it started growing on him.

Season 1 and to lesser extent season 2 of Seinfeld is a bit like how the Office started out. It began a little unsure of itself of what it was, but eventually it found it's groove and everything started being more funny.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I've spent the last few days watching a ridiculous British trivia show called QI, which is funnier than I can possibly describe it. The host is the guy who played Melchett on Blackadder.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
Lately, I went through was the entire sopranos series. Right now I'm working on the second season of Battlestar Galactica. I need to borrow Band of Brothers, I saw an episode or two of that and I really liked it.

Sinfjotli
Dec 22, 2003

Lemon Curry?

Quisling posted:

Same here with the Wire except I really liked season 2. The Sobotkas were great and season three wouldn't have been the same without all the tension building up in Avon's crew.

It's driving me nuts though, my local blockbuster doesn't carry the Wire for some odd reason and Hollywood video has all of season 4 except the first disc, and I probably won't have time to start season 4 for a couple weeks now. Oh well I guess a rest won't hurt.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

CaptainHollywood posted:

mofolotopo, while I can agree season 6 is easily the worst, season 5 is arguably the best. (It won the Emmy for Best Drama Series that season) Season 4 I admit is 'second worst'.

Good to hear. Season four wasn't absolutely terrible, but it definitely left me wondering if the show was all downhill from there.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

I just watched Twin Peaks, and I didn't know that the final ten minutes could make me as pissed as I was. It's like David Lynch was mad they cancelled it at episode 2-15, but they let him make 7 more episodes, and he just gave the audience a big gently caress YOU. Why'd they kill Audrey, why why why?! And I really liked Agent Cooper :(

Whitney
May 4, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Oglethorpe posted:

Why'd they kill Audrey, why why why?! And I really liked Agent Cooper :(

If this makes you feel better (re: Twin Peaks)

"Would the show have continued for a third season, Lynch would have entered into talks with ABC to spin-off the character of Audrey Horne, who would have survived her being trapped inside an exploding building in the Season 2 cliffhanger." (IMDB)

But it totally sucks about Dale Cooper.

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax
I`ve been binging on Oz lately. I`m up to season five now and it`s starting to get weird with all the religious stuff that people have told me about. Still a loving awesome show.

essaywhutman
Dec 13, 2002

by Ozma
Just started the 4th season of Six Feet Under last night. The ending of the first episode When Nate is burying Lisa is one of the most emotionally gut wrenching things I've ever seen on television. Jesus. :(

Indecline
Sep 5, 2003

eat my butt into smithereens
Carnivale. People have been telling me to watch it for a while now, and it wasn't until now that I found someone with the DVDs. I would have rented it sooner if it weren't for the fact that there's only 2 episodes on each disc, and gently caress paying $30 to rent a single season. I hate when they try to influence the price of a box set by spreading 12 episodes onto 6 disks when there's enough room on 3 DVDs to fit the whole drat thing, plus extras.

But tightwad ramblings aside, I'm really enjoying it. The acting, cinematography, and writing is all superb. I'm trying to prolong the enjoyment by not binging through it too hard. Being half way through season 2, I'm kind of dreading the last episode. There's something depressing about watching the last episode of a great series that was cut short, not to mention the frustration of knowing plot lines will never be resolved.

Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster

Dayvan Cowboy posted:

Just started the 4th season of Six Feet Under last night. The ending of the first episode When Nate is burying Lisa is one of the most emotionally gut wrenching things I've ever seen on television. Jesus. :(

You're in for some of the best episodes, soon. some of the most soul-crushing ones, too. :unsmith:

NJD2005
Sep 3, 2006
Went through the first season of Mad Men and loved it, going slowly through Burn Notice but don't really have any motivation to watch it, watched the first season of Six Feet Under and its not really my kind of show.

Onto the awesome The Shield now, burned through the first 4 seasons and currently starting on the 5th, some of the greatest television I have ever seen. Season 4 was my favorite and I think that was because of the amazing job Glenn Close did.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Indecline posted:

Carnivale.

Being half way through season 2, I'm kind of dreading the last episode. There's something depressing about watching the last episode of a great series that was cut short, not to mention the frustration of knowing plot lines will never be resolved.

The best advice I can give you is go into the last episode with an open mind. Yes, there will be a lot of questions unanswered, however, the last episode does give SOME sense of closure. You're not gonna know everything you want, but you won't be left completely hanging either.

FeatherPants
Feb 24, 2007
'wicked' is an adverb too

Orvin posted:

I just noticed that the entire first season of Mad Men just showed up on Comcast On-Demand. I caught it in repeats, but missed the very last episode of the season, so I had been keeping an eye out for it.

I had never even heard of it until it showed up on On Demand. Watched the whole first season when I was sick this past week. Fantastic series so far and I can't wait for the second season!

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Even if every episode of Six Feet Under was poo poo, it would be worth watching all of them just to see the last part of the finale. Best ending of any show.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Pardot posted:

Even if every episode of Six Feet Under was poo poo, it would be worth watching all of them just to see the last part of the finale. Best ending of any show.

Well now I'm moving season 5 ahead in my netflix queue. I hope it is just as depressing as the rest of the series, hell I better break out in tears.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anorak Revolution posted:

You're in for some of the best episodes, soon. some of the most soul-crushing ones, too. :unsmith:

The season 4 finale is hosed up but it also comes out of nowhere. I think it would have made a bigger impact if they built it up a bit and gave some more hints.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

calandryll posted:

Well now I'm moving season 5 ahead in my netflix queue. I hope it is just as depressing as the rest of the series, hell I better break out in tears.

It's pretty much impossible not to. It's been over a year since I've watched the show and every once in awhile I watch the ending on YouTube and still bawl like a baby.

Yesterday I watched about half of the first season of Jeremiah on Netflix Watch Now. It's a decent show, not the best thing ever but entertaining enough. Watching Luke Perry and Malcolm Jamal-Warner pretend to be 25 at 35 is kind of amusing, and Jason Priestly guest starring in the 3rd episode was hilarious (though he did a good job with his character. Also: nowhere near 25.) Got my last disc of season 3 of Weeds from Netflix yesterday so I'm finishing that up today and starting on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Can't... stop watching... The F Word.

Wezzo
Sep 15, 2007
Rated PG

NJD2005 posted:

Onto the awesome The Shield now, burned through the first 4 seasons and currently starting on the 5th, some of the greatest television I have ever seen. Season 4 was my favorite and I think that was because of the amazing job Glenn Close did.

As awesome as S1-4 are, S5 is the best season of The Shield. Fantastic stuff. Forest Whitaker has a brilliant recurring guest role. Hope you enjoy it -- strike that, I'm sure you will. :)

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
Season 5 of the shield is the best season of any show ever.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Season 5 of The Shield is very, very good...but, I don't know, it's almost a bit too unsettling. The pacing, the writing, the acting, all of it is excellent. But I think the ending and overall theme just hit me a bit too hard. I needed a major break after that because I just felt so drained. I can barely bring myself to watch season 6.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I just finished watching season 4 of Six Feet Under and having watched season 5 when it aired I know I won't be able to stop watching till it's finished.

That and I'm also currently watching Mad Men which started off a little slow but I am really enjoying it now that I'm half way through the series.

Last summer I watched Sports Night in like three days. It was not a wise thing to do. After wards I keep hearing the dialog structures when people were talking to me. It was weird.

Raspberry Bang fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 13, 2008

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Raspberry Bang posted:

I just finished watching season 4 of Six Feet Under and having watched season 5 when it aired I know I won't be able to stop watching till it's finished.

That and I'm also currently watching Mad Men which started off a little slow but I am really enjoying it now that I'm half way through the series.

Last summer I watched Sports Night in like three days. It was not a wise thing to do. After wards I keep hearing the dialog structures when people were talking to me. It was weird.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/how-write-for.php

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I'm currently going through Star Trek DS9, Stargate SG-1, Buffy, and Babylon 5. At this point I only have unwatched episodes in my possession of Babylon 5. (I basically watch whatever I have left, then I go buy more seasons of whatever there is in the shop. I'd get bored watching the same series all the time.) Current status: finished season 6 of DS9 and SG-1, finished season 3 of Buffy, and watching season 3 of B5.

Series I have previously watched in this manner are the X-Files and Ally McBeal. (Btw, don't watch all of Ally McBeal in a week, it's depressing. How I didn't kill myself, I still don't know. The X-Files does work, but it makes you have hosed up dreams.) I also have Blackadder, which is totally awesome and which I had seen everything of before I got the DVD's, and The League of Gentlemen, which is great in the first 2 seasons and not so great in the 3rd.

In the future, I more or less plan to watch Angel, Carnivale, Firefly, The Wire, Veronica Mars, House, and probably some more that I'm forgetting. (Rome.)

Unfinished series I have left:
Twin Peaks: I stopped watched at some point in season 2, for no particular reason. Will resume later.
Monty Python: As good as it is, after watching 2 or 3 seasons in a row, it gets a bit silly. Will resume later.

Finally, series I watched as they came out: Lost, Battlestar Galactica, and Heroes. I didn't get 24 because it got way too bad in season 6 or whatever, and it turned me away from the series.

Oh, and for some reason I always get the urge the buy Charmed on DVD. I've been able to control myself for now though. It helps that they are rather expensive. Make them 5 euros cheaper and God help me.

ostesaks
Apr 4, 2002

snuten kommer

ostesaks fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 2, 2010

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Right now it's Buffy, season 5. Did S4 a few weeks ago, and had to keep the moment going.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I've been watching The Wire a lot, but while each each season has eventually gotten awesome, without fail I'm just bored senseless at the start of each season. I'm at the beginning of season 4, and even though I just got finished with season 3 yesterday and it was incredible, I just can't sit through the first episode. It's the weirdest thing.

pete0r
Oct 6, 2003
me
Started on Dexter. Moved onto Six Feet Under when I realized Michael C Hall was in it. I don't know why I've put off watching this show for YEARS. Easily the best dramatic television I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

I'm currently going through Scrubs. I never liked it much when it was on. I watched it a few times and thought it was too goofy for it's own good. Then, the other night I got stuck with absolutely nothing to watch and caught a random episode. I was kinda surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Borrowed the DVD's from my Dad, and I'm halfway through season 2 - expect to finish that and make way into season 3 tomorrow.