Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troph
Aug 30, 2004
Not so much a tool but amazingly handy is the 1000pc various size zip-tie pack at HF for $3-4. Also i cant express my love enough for my craftsman metric ratchet wrenches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
For $200 today of craigslist
I got this Husky tool case with:
2 Starrett Mics
1 Starrett Compass/Scriber
1 Fowler Mic
1 Mitutoyo Mic
SPI Radius Gage Set
SPI Telescope Gage Set
Several Ball Peen and Softblow Hammers
A bunch of Allen Wrenches/Screwdrivers

I figured it out and buying this stuff on eBay or new when eBay didn't have it would have run me about $450-500.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That's an awful lot of micrometers, why did he have so many? Metric/imperial/moon measurement?

Cool find though, congrats.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Ones a 3-4", two are 2-3" (One is a Starrett the other is the fowler which is made in China) and another is a 1-2" which can be used as a 0-1". Pretty good to have as all I had was a 0-1" mic.

He was a welder by trade and I've never known a welder to measure anything so I bet they're barely used!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

RealKyleH posted:

He was a welder by trade and I've never known a welder to measure anything so I bet they're barely used!
That or actually know how to read one properly or past the .0x decimal place.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

RealKyleH posted:

Except as emergency G-clamps for small pieces! :iamafag:

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I will be picking a few things up from harbor freight tomorrow

While I am there I will see if they have these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=96323

If they work that would be quite neat and handy.

Also some coupons you might find as useful as I will:

I already have the red socket organizer and I can say tis the beat way by far I have found to keep sockets organized. What I plan to do now is buy two, put spacers between them, and sue them for deep sockets.

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 2, 2008

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?
For the air ratchet crowd, try using a 1/4" air ratchet. I almost never use my 3/8" unit, but have *many* hours on the 1/4". Also, the 3/8" ratchets are broken bones waiting to happen. I have had a few situations where it has pinned my hand somewhere, or caught me by surprise and done some damage. The 1/4" is smaller, and lighter, which makes it easier to move around, and is perfect for all those torx, hex, and <15mm bolts and nuts. I rarely pick up my non-pneumatic ratchets anymore (except for 1/2" jobs). This is especially true for almost every job I have to do on my motorcycles.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I've got a 3/8" drive air ratchet- Best thing ever!

doesnt have the torque of the rattle gun, but its about the size of a ratchet, so you can get it into places that a rattle gun wont fit!

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I just used my new air ratchet I was all excited about to change two axles on a 2002 passat. The axles attach to the transmission by 6 torx like bolts. I wore leather gloves and let the 90lbs of torque loosen them, making sure my hands were free from any pinch areas. It would have been a big pain with a regular ratchet.

I love it.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Anyone have a cheap air drill? What do you think of it compared to an electric?

All I have for an electric is an 8 year old $30 Skil drill.

Thing that might have more power and be less likely to bind?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ease posted:

I just used my new air ratchet I was all excited about to change two axles on a 2002 passat. The axles attach to the transmission by 6 torx like bolts. I wore leather gloves and let the 90lbs of torque loosen them, making sure my hands were free from any pinch areas. It would have been a big pain with a regular ratchet.

I love it.

After my adventure in wheel bearings today I'm saving up for a compressor.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Rhyno posted:

After my adventure in wheel bearings today I'm saving up for a compressor.

After just buying a 26 gallon oil-less compressor... unless you like the noise or are putting it in a soundproof closet, hold out get a 60 gallon oil type. My impact wrench drains it pretty quickly. I think I might take it back.

e: on the other hand, it's not bad if you have a tight workspace and don't want to have a permanent fixture hogging some of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ease posted:

After just buying a 26 gallon oil-less compressor... unless you like the noise or are putting it in a soundproof closet, hold out get a 60 gallon oil type. My impact wrench drains it pretty quickly. I think I might take it back.

e: on the other hand, it's not bad if you have a tight workspace and don't want to have a permanent fixture hogging some of it.

I'm looking at portables because I'll be living in an apartment as of next week and will be keeping my tools in a locked storage unit.

So this week has been a great tool week for me. I bought a new jack, 2 sets of jack stands, a little dremel knock off, a new breaker bar, a torque wrench, some adapters and god knows what else. God do I love Harbor Freight.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Rhyno posted:

So this week has been a great tool week for me. I bought a new jack, 2 sets of jack stands, a little dremel knock off, a new breaker bar, a torque wrench, some adapters and god knows what else. God do I love Harbor Freight.

Its not a HF unit, but my Dremel knockoff sucks rear end. The collets don't seem to close tightly.

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 8, 2008

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RealKyleH posted:

Its not an HF unit, but my Dremel knockoff sucks rear end. The collets don't seem to close tightly.

I had a $70 dremel kit that a "friend" stole. This one was like $8 so it if lasts a year ill be happy.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Rhyno posted:

I had a $70 dremel kit that a "friend" stole. This one was like $8 so it if lasts a year ill be happy.

Give it a try and let me know how it is. Mine was $15 and I haven't gotten even one use out of it because it won't tightly hold the accessories. If the one you got will even work for a day I will buy it and use it for polishing cause I would love to use the buffing wheels I got with the other one to polish smaller holes and parts.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I got a black and decker "dremel" for $30 at their outlet store. It's worked very well for me.

Any leads on good bits for metal grinding/filing? All I can find is for wood or plastic, or metal cutting discs. I want a drum or cone grinder that can handle mild steel.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

oxbrain posted:

I got a black and decker "dremel" for $30 at their outlet store. It's worked very well for me.

Any leads on good bits for metal grinding/filing? All I can find is for wood or plastic, or metal cutting discs. I want a drum or cone grinder that can handle mild steel.

I want to know where you found something to grind plastic? Please take a picture of these abrasive cones that are not for metal.

Heres some that are:
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/AttachmentsAndAccessories/Pages/CategoryProducts.aspx?catid=31&catname=Grinding+%26+Sharpening

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RealKyleH posted:

Give it a try and let me know how it is. Mine was $15 and I haven't gotten even one use out of it because it won't tightly hold the accessories. If the one you got will even work for a day I will buy it and use it for polishing cause I would love to use the buffing wheels I got with the other one to polish smaller holes and parts.

Heh, as soon as I find a reason to use it I will. I sort of bought it just because it caught my eye, not for any practical reason.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Dremel tools are good for taking down toe nails.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ease posted:

I never thought of that. Looks like I might have a reason to use it!

Taymar
Oct 11, 2007
I need a vacuum brake bleeder, and have been advised to get one which runs on compressed air.

I don't have a compressor, and really the only way I'm likely to get one in the near future would be to go with a harbor freight one.

They seem to have a few oil ones for around $100. The brake bleeder I'm looking at is around 150 (vacula).

Is this a horrible idea, and/or is a trigger type vacuum brake bleeder ($60) notorious for being a bad substitute?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

ease posted:

thats all they are good for when you have a good cut off wheel.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Taymar posted:

I need a vacuum brake bleeder, and have been advised to get one which runs on compressed air.

I don't have a compressor, and really the only way I'm likely to get one in the near future would be to go with a harbor freight one.

They seem to have a few oil ones for around $100. The brake bleeder I'm looking at is around 150 (vacula).

Is this a horrible idea, and/or is a trigger type vacuum brake bleeder ($60) notorious for being a bad substitute?
Pump-style ones work fine, so long as you keep pumping them to maintain pressure. I've used them a lot. Compressor-fed ones are continuously fed, so they work even better.
Since you don't have a compressor, a hand-pump powered one is fine. Just give it a few squeezes as you are bleeding the brakes.
Protip: Don't forget to securely attach the bleeder hose to the bleeder. Brake fluid is really awful stuff, and can make you pretty sick if it gets all over you, plus it eats paint like nothing else. Teeny-weeny zipties work fine for keeping the hose on.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

sharkytm posted:

An Air ratchet is AWESOME for hard-to-get bolts. If you can wedge the air ratchet into position and hit the lever, it'll do the knuckle-busting for you. If you use one a lot, you learn to love it.

This, a million loving times over. I had to take apart my driver's seat because 2 of the cables were pulling themselves out of the motor. I couldn't adjust the seat up to get at the screws. I spent like 30 minutes trying to turn 1 screw. There was barely enough room to turn the ratchet 1 click, only if I smashed my other hand in there to hold the socket and keep the slack out. I then went and grabbed my air ratchet with a swivel and had the other 3 screws in like 30 seconds.

ease posted:

The only thing I've really used one for is slotting the heads to the screws on my friend's headlights because they were rusty as hell and they decided philips slots the size of a toothpick was a good idea.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 8, 2008

Taymar
Oct 11, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Pump-style ones work fine, so long as you keep pumping them to maintain pressure. I've used them a lot. Compressor-fed ones are continuously fed, so they work even better.
Since you don't have a compressor, a hand-pump powered one is fine. Just give it a few squeezes as you are bleeding the brakes.
Protip: Don't forget to securely attach the bleeder hose to the bleeder. Brake fluid is really awful stuff, and can make you pretty sick if it gets all over you, plus it eats paint like nothing else. Teeny-weeny zipties work fine for keeping the hose on.

Thanks for the advice. Would something like this http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16292 do the trick? (or any specific brands to look for/avoid?) I will probably only be using it once a year or so.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

ease posted:

... I have done this three times. The smell of ground, burning, infected, toenail will never leave my memory.

However, dremmels with cutoff wheels are quite useful. Not just for toes. I've burnt out one craftsman model, and a black and decker clone. My actual dremmel is still humming along nicely.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
looking for a recommendation for an accurate tire pressure gauge that will be good enough for autocross / track day measurements.

Is there any reason I should get this:
http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=1118&catid=8
over this:
http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=222&catid=8

I have no idea what goes into either one to determine its accuracy.
Also, what is a ball chuck and what is an angle chuck?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

kimbo305 posted:

looking for a recommendation for an accurate tire pressure gauge that will be good enough for autocross / track day measurements.

Is there any reason I should get this:
http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=1118&catid=8
over this:
http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=222&catid=8

I have no idea what goes into either one to determine its accuracy.
Also, what is a ball chuck and what is an angle chuck?

I know someone in the other thread said get an expensive one blah blah blah. Dude its a fuckin' tire gage. It will be pretty close no matter what and will be consistently inaccurate if it is inaccurate...which it probably won't be. If you're worried about inaccuracy get a digital. $50 for a tire gage you'll use once or twice a month. God drat.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

RealKyleH posted:

I know someone in the other thread said get an expensive one blah blah blah. Dude its a fuckin' tire gage. It will be pretty close no matter what and will be consistently inaccurate if it is inaccurate...which it probably won't be. If you're worried about inaccuracy get a digital. $50 for a tire gage you'll use once or twice a month. God drat.

Yeah I was hoping my lil digital one would be good enough. 2-3 psi off when I'm not going anywhere near the tire's max shouldn't be a problem. Maybe a lil uneven performance out on the track, but nothing to fret over. That said, I have no idea if a $10 gauge's claim of within 2-3 psi is credible.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

oxbrain posted:

Are we still talking dremel style? How much material removal are we talking about?

I have this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93243

and it's a good starting point for any rotary tool--some of the parts are crap but it's all wear items anyway so I don't want to waste money on it. It has a few aluminum oxide stones in it.

Also:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92926
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96828

I don't know if anyone just sells an aluminum oxide grinding "kit" -- the dremel ones are a little over $2/ea.

I recently picked up a tungsten carbide 1/8" endmill bit that [I was surprised] was very good at tackling a bit of hardened 400 series [45+ HRC]--at least for the tiny amount of material I wanted removed. I guess if I was doing somewhat detailed work (i.e. not sheet steel) I'd look at these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3745

I've read at least one positive review of the "lifetime carbide" brand but it was a wood saw so I'm not sure if it applies to something used to tackle steel--it also doesn't say it's tungsten carbide but I suppose it should be assumed.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Taymar posted:

Thanks for the advice. Would something like this http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16292 do the trick? (or any specific brands to look for/avoid?) I will probably only be using it once a year or so.
Thats kind of like the standard AutoZone hand pump, but the metal suction piston looks more durable. It'll work, especially if you are only using it once a year or so.

ChiliMac posted:

I recently picked up a tungsten carbide 1/8" endmill bit that [I was surprised] was very good at tackling a bit of hardened 400 series [45+ HRC]--at least for the tiny amount of material I wanted removed.
Buy a few quality carbide milling bits from McMaster or someplace, I've got 2, and I've used them on schedule 10 welded steel with great success. I was enlarging the WG port on my turbo manifold. They make them in 1/8" shank for use in dremel tools.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

I know the HF racing jacks are fairly well received--but there are a few options now and I'm not sure whats the best option.

I have a coupon for $90 for this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96562

Or $135 for this (on sale):
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47246

Plus I can take off another 15% [coupon] for the second one since it's only on sale and I wouldn't be combining coupons which puts it at around 115.

As far as I can tell the differences are:
- LED lights on the first (what?)
- Rapid pump on the second

Anything else? is the rapid pump worth 25+ additional dollars?

sharkytm posted:

Buy a few quality carbide milling bits from McMaster

I love McMaster even though I've never ordered from them for personal use.

Edit: I wonder if these sorts of things are a good middle ground between a dedicated cutter and a grinder:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/114/2574

ChiliMac fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 10, 2008

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
label switching is fun. i can relate to that.

ChiliMac posted:

I know the HF racing jacks are fairly well received--but there are a few options now and I'm not sure whats the best option.

I have a coupon for $90 for this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96562

Or $135 for this (on sale):
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47246

Plus I can take off another 15% [coupon] for the second one since it's only on sale and I wouldn't be combining coupons which puts it at around 115.

If you have printable coupons, please share. :) I'm about to pick up a new jack this weekend, and this would absolutely make my day.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

multiprotocol posted:

If you have printable coupons, please share. :) I'm about to pick up a new jack this weekend, and this would absolutely make my day.

Unfortunately the good coupon [15% off] was on a mailer.. however there are these:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html/emails/28/RetailA/28_retailA.html
Valid thru this saturday (has the 90 dollar LED jack)

and
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html/wkend0713/usa_cpnsave.html
Valid thru sunday.

I guess you could check the in-store flyers to see if they have the 15% on them but I think it's a mailer only thing or it'd be on the website. The 135 price for the second jack was just a sale price so that should be good everywhere.

I'm not sure why they have two sites--one seems to be basically a retail store advertisement while the other (no usa) is an online store.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Whoever has a HF Dremel too, will you please let me know how you like it. Just use it to grind anything, if it works and the accessories don't go flying out of it, I will buy one at this price.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm pretty sure with anything Harbor Freight that plugs into an electrical outlet, having it not burst into flame immediately is considered a success.

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran
Whoa, do NOT get the 12 volt tool. I've got one, and it's mostly useless. I use it to polish things and do some VERY light grinding, but it lacks the oomph to even cut through plastic with a cutoff wheel. Absolutely useless for metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

jailbait#3 posted:

Whoa, do NOT get the 12 volt tool. I've got one, and it's mostly useless. I use it to polish things and do some VERY light grinding, but it lacks the oomph to even cut through plastic with a cutoff wheel. Absolutely useless for metal.

I can't argue with you because I don't have one but even a Dremel lacks oomph--you are supposed to use very light pressure. The fact that it uses 12 volts doesn't really tell you anything though (cordless Dremels obviously use less than that and do fine).

That said, I'm sure it's a piece of poo poo--but it's an 8 dollar piece of poo poo with enough accessories to soak up your blood if it does happen to explode in your hand (at least, compared to Dremel accessory prices).