Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Fast hardcore = good hardcore. Everyone should listen to Punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

rivals posted:

Fast hardcore = good hardcore. Everyone should listen to Punch.

Played with them yesterday. loving great. Also, isn't hardcore generally fast by definition?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Wamsutta posted:

I just got home from Best Buy where I purchased their new record, "II" and it's awesome. You're awesome.

You're probably also gonna enjoy He Is Legend, especially the album "Suck Out the Poison".

i51423
Jul 7, 2008

Sirius Sam posted:

Define fast hardcore

Ceremony, Paint it Black, Let Down, etc.

zeldadude posted:

Yeah I prefer 80bpm breakdowns personally

...because I said anything about lovely chugchug breakdowns.

I used to be all for faster hardcore. Metalcore and bands with stupid breakdowns were getting old. Now EVERYONE is playing, or trying to play, fast hardcore that all sounds the same. Maybe I just don't like hardcore anymore.

i51423 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 8, 2008

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

i51423 posted:

I used to be all for faster hardcore. Metalcore and bands with stupid breakdowns were getting old. Now EVERYONE is playing, or trying to play, fast hardcore that all sounds the same. Maybe I just don't like hardcore anymore.
Welcome to 1983.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

i51423 posted:

It's kind of a trend right now I guess. But I'd honestly rather listen to a million Ceremony rip offs than have to suffer through more Black My Heart rip offs that are incredibly bad at pulling it off or another Suffocate Faster which is what every band in the world was playing a couple years ago.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Eight Is Legend posted:

You're probably also gonna enjoy He Is Legend, especially the album "Suck Out the Poison".

I will look into them when I get home from work. Gracias.

Aeneas
Jun 27, 2005

Historia est vitae magistra
Someone recommend some awesome punk bands for me to listen to.
What I like:
Rancid
Op Ivy
Descendents
Vandals
Bouncing Souls
Minor Threat
Bad Religion
NOFX
old AFI

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
If you like Rancid and OPIV you should check out some of Tim Armstrong's other bands like the Dancehall Crashers, Transplants (don't do it, it's a rapcore supergroup with Travis Barker), Downfall, etc. You might dig the Aggrolites as well, I think he collaborated with them (though I'm not a fan).

I would also recommend The Dwarves (I like "The Dwarves are Young and Good Looking" a lot) and Jughead's Revenge since you like The Vandals and Fugazi since you like Minor Threat.

Aeneas
Jun 27, 2005

Historia est vitae magistra
I actually really like the transplants!

I have another question that you may be able to answer. Why do all the punk chicks with short hair and tattoos :fap: turn out to be gay?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
You fuckin' got me. I wish I knew where you were finding 'em because all the punk chicks I meet are straight as loving arrows.
Here's some more bands you might like now that I'm back on my desktop:
Flogging Molly
Pinhead Gunpowder
The Groovy Ghoulies
Dropkick Murphys
The Riverdales
Screeching Weasel

Alright I'm looking for both female-fronted punk bands and punk bands that use non-standard instruments (music recommendation thread was less than helpful). Girlie punks I like:
X Ray Spex (goddamn I would kill for Poly Styrene's voice)
The Slits
Bikini Kill
Snap-Her
L7
The Avengers
Female Chauvinist Pigs
The Bangles
Bratmobil
Crass

I'm not looking for the obvious like The Donnas (ugh), Sleater-Kinney, or poo poo like that. As for non-standard instruments, I'm talking about things like how The Adicts have a violinist and X Ray Spex has a sax player. tia

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 10, 2008

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
check out Civet if you're after a decent all-girl punk band.

I reckon they're OK.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Well, if you can stand more hardcore-ish stuff, Mind Of Asian from Japan is loving great. All female members too. For non-standard instruments, check out (read: download) the single "The Door" by the band Paintbox. Horns, harmonica, and spanish guitar over amazing melodic hardcore.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Triangulum posted:

I'm not looking for the obvious like The Donnas (ugh), Sleater-Kinney, or poo poo like that. As for non-standard instruments, I'm talking about things like how The Adicts have a violinist and X Ray Spex has a sax player. tia

Not punk per se, but check out I Would Set Myself on Fire for You and 1905. Not fully-female bands, but both have female members.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Thank you, you guys are so much more helpful. I'm checking them out now (drat you LastFM for having jackshit).

BRAIN HANDLE
Jun 8, 2005
servant to the red and blue, the green, yellow and white
You should also check out Punch. Female-fronted vegan hardcore on 625. Great stuff.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Hiretsukan are another awesome female-fronted band.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Hoping I can go to Trash Talk and Cold World in Boston somehow tomorrow. I don't want to drive in Boston by myself, I've been there like twice and wasn't driving :(

Hopefully I can find a ride because I want to see both bands so loving bad.

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.

Triangulum posted:

Local wise, I'd suggest The Sceptres, but I think they've taken the MP3s down because their re-doing them for the 7". So that's less than helpful of them. Members of lovely Limits, Abandon Ship and stuff. Bryony's got a good voice on her.

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.

i51423 posted:

Thrashy fast hardcore is more fun at times. Around our way it seems to be going more towards the power pop end of the scale. It's weird how different areas do seem to have very fixed musical styles.

Kim Jong-Chill
Nov 16, 2006

If you don't like swastikas then you DON'T DESERVE A TATTOO
As far as female fronted punk bands, I would say check out Witch Hunt and Antischism.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

acup posted:

Hiretsukan are another awesome female-fronted band.
They're awesome, their best album is Invasive/Exotic. Also check out I Object! if you're into the punkier stuff.

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004
Could anyone recommend something like Paint It Black's New Lexicon? I'm new to the genre so recommend anything.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Eight Is Legend posted:

Was Suck Out the Poison any good? I loving loved I Am Hollywood, but I didn't bother with the new one because no one seemed to care anymore.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Gah, can anyone remember someone in this thread posting a wrestling video where a Japanese punk band covered "Sugar We're Goin Down" and some other stuff? I remember checking them out on MySpace and they had a few pretty good songs. I think they were called something with "fist" or "foot"...

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Strawberry Panda posted:

Was Suck Out the Poison any good? I loving loved I Am Hollywood, but I didn't bother with the new one because no one seemed to care anymore.

My first He Is Legend CD was actually Suck Out the Poison, so I prefer that one, but I Am Hollywood is still amazing. SOtP is more experimental and Southern-influenced, and Schuyler Croom's voice definitely sounds like he has had one too many cigarettes and scotch's - it's way more raw, but in a good way and sets him apart from a lot of other singers. Definitely check it out.

Eight Is Legend fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 11, 2008

A Boring Story
Mar 27, 2008

We're not going to Catalina, are we?
The new Off With Their Heads album is streaming over on their Punknews profile and holy poo poo, it's amazing. Immediately one of my favorite records of the year.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Punknews.org posted:

Popular UK-based social music site Last.fm will put their Artist Royalty Program into effect next Wednesday. The program will give artists a percentage of the revenue earned from the ads that run alongside their streaming music. Wired carried the following statement from site co-founder Martin Stiksel:

This is a big day for DIY artists. We’re leveling the playing field by offering them the same opportunities as established bands to make money from their music. The young musician making music in a bedroom studio has the same chance as the latest major label signing to use Last.fm to build an audience and get rewarded.

The site already pays artists through rights organizations. Over 450,000 tracks have reportedly been uploaded as part of the Royalty program.

Wired's report raises and interesting point in comparing Last.fm (which grew out of the playlist-tracking Audioscrobbler software) with social media giant MySpace. MySpace plans to compensate major labels with a share of ad revenue, but it's unclear if or when such opportunities will open for indie labels or unsigned artists.

http://www.punknews.org/article/29630

Sweet deal, in my opinion.

Fredus
Sep 4, 2004
the lonely albatross

Triangulum posted:

Alright I'm looking for both female-fronted punk bands and punk bands that use non-standard instruments (music recommendation thread was less than helpful). Girlie punks I like:

Well I'll bite and look like I love dick in my arse.

Try these, not all are different instrumentally but I didn't see them on your list so gently caress it:
The Reputation
Zombina and the Skeletones
Even In Blackouts
Fifth Hour Hero
Discount

edit: oh and Tsunami Bomb

Fredus fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 11, 2008

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Fredus posted:

Well I'll bite and look like I love dick in my arse.

:confused:

Thanks for the bands though, Tsunami Bomb owns.

DrakeD
Jul 9, 2008

Rats in the hallway again!
As far as female fronted bands goes check out:
The Distillers (first 2 albums mainly)
Thug Murder
NY Rel-X
Devotchkas
Horrorpops (more on the rocka-psychobilly side)
Vice Squad

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO

Triangulum posted:

:confused:

Thanks for the bands though, Tsunami Bomb owns.

Ballast
Witch Hunt

Lots of crusty stuff too, Appalachian Terror Unit, Man the Conveyers.

Condenada is pretty great too.

Oh yeah, Harum Scarum is pretty sweet, they've had two different singers and their style seems to change around that - one is more sweet-sung vocals and the other is deathgrowls from beyond the abyss... both are great, really.

Maybe check out Excuse 17 too, it's Carrie Brownstein prior to Sleater-Kinner. Not real in-your-face or anything and don't think many people would be into it... you never know though.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Horrorpops and The Distillers I like, Devotchka needs a lot more agression and less hairgel. It's like Gwen Stefani trying to hardcore as gently caress. Sad too, because the Clockwork Orange name made me hope they were awesome.

E: I've been trying to find Appalachian Terror Unit poo poo forever and have been failing miserably. Point me in the right direction.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
They either just did or about to release an album on Profane Existence I think... their myspace is http://www.myspace.com/appalachianterrorunit.

Also, checkout Turboslut (http://www.turboslut.org/), you can get their tape for a couple bucks easy.

As far as punk bands with weird instruments, I can't think of anything too wild in a genre where keyboards can be seen as being real out there. Lots of weirdo post-punk and industrial crossover stuff out there for sure though.

Rock Strongo
Dec 24, 2004

"It's said he killed a dragon once...but not this time"
Anyone know what happened to the Trash Talk show in NYC tomorrow night? It was supposed to be at the Knitting Factory, now they're listing "Fortress of Solitude" as the venue, which I've never heard of/don't think exists.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Thanks for the recommendation about the Gaslight Anthem, they're really loving sick.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
This Is My Fist! is one of my favorite female fronted bands (don't tell anyone I like Lemuria :ssh: ). NotAnAnthem, are they still together (I think they're from Chicago or something)?

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
I think this is my fist is spread out between a few places maybe? I think some may live in the Bay Area but I'm not sure. Either way, super rad.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook
As far as female fronted with weirder instruments, why hasn't anybody mentioned the Epoxies? Keytars and Roxy Epoxie. You can't go wrong!

This is my Fist! is playing Mauled by Tigers fest, so they're not completely broken up at least. Fantastic band, too.

Abe Froman is fronted by Erin Tobey of Plan-it-X fame and is really good.
The Conversions from... Boston I think are some pretty sweet girl-fronted hardcore.
Discount is pretty good.
The Door-Keys are great, although they're not exactly punk, just very heavily punk influenced and on PIX.
I guess people already mentioned I Object! and Witch Hunt and 1905 but they're all fantastic.
And I dunno if Lemuria got brought up, but... gently caress, they're really good.
If Melt Banana counts, them too.
Signal Lost is good, sorta dark street punkish stuff. Think Vice Squad.
The Soviettes are awesome female-fronted pop-punk.
I think that's a large portion of the girl-fronted punk rock I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

And if you like the Soviettes, check out the awesome side project Awesome Snakes. It's not female fronted, but it is great fun.