Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

F201 posted:

That's pretty hilarious.

No, not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

F201 posted:

Who cares how lame and boring it is? If you're griefing, the goal is to piss people off. Cheats work a peach - in fact, so well that you're seeing it extend into this very thread!

Besides that, cheating can be a great tool in assisting actual, creative griefing. For example, a while ago when I was playing CS 1.6, a guy with an aimbot and speed hack stabbed me and the rest of the team in the face within the first half a second of the round, and then zoomed around the map at a ridiculous speed, untouchable, until the 5 minute timer ran out. That's pretty hilarious.

There's no creativity or humour to that, just "haha I cheated". Big whoop. A second grader can do that. Technically it counts as griefing, but who cares? It's not fun to read about and it's boring.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

F201 posted:

Who cares how lame and boring it is? If you're griefing, the goal is to piss people off. Cheats work a peach - in fact, so well that you're seeing it extend into this very thread!

Besides that, cheating can be a great tool in assisting actual, creative griefing. For example, a while ago when I was playing CS 1.6, a guy with an aimbot and speed hack teamkilled me and the rest of the team by stabbing us in the face within the first half a second of the round, and then zoomed around the map at a ridiculous speed, untouchable, until the 5 minute timer ran out. That's pretty hilarious.

In fact, I'm griefing you in this very thread!
:rolleyes:

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Drox posted:

No, not really.

You don't understand. There is no way anyone can be such a huge tool and be so dumb at the same time. He is in fact griefing the thread with his stupid aimbot stories. To him I say bravo on creating such an unlikable and douchey persona! You truly are king grief.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

You don't understand. There is no way anyone can be such a huge tool and be so dumb at the same time. He is in fact griefing the thread with his stupid aimbot stories. To him I say bravo on creating such an unlikable and douchey persona! You truly are king grief.

He's failing then, as I'm not upset or angered.

Just killing time until someone reports in with some more awesome stories. This thread is probably the best thing to ever come out of Games.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

In fact, I'm griefing you in this very thread!
Who claimed to be "griefing" anybody? I'm just pointing out that a lot of people in this thread seem to get very angry about cheating on internet games :)

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

F201 posted:

Besides that, cheating can be a great tool in assisting actual, creative griefing. For example, a while ago when I was playing CS 1.6, a guy with an aimbot and speed hack teamkilled me and the rest of the team by stabbing us in the face within the first half a second of the round, and then zoomed around the map at a ridiculous speed, untouchable, until the 5 minute timer ran out. That's pretty hilarious.

Yeah, that's funny. Simply using the hacks to win and then gloating about it is lame as loving hell.

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH
I'm just so furious over video games. :ssj:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I actually thought that CoD4 video was pretty funny considering that he just stayed in the same spot and got tons of kills, it really shows how wide open the maps are.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Back when i played America's Army, I used to run a little scam much like the old "duping" scams of Diablo. I would find a random teammate not opposed to "infinite grenades man!" and school him on how to exploit this great bug.

Ok, now...take 5 steps back
jump forward.
Crouch, stand, crouch...
now throw your gun on the floor...circle 360 degrees exactly...
5 steps back again...lay down...

That is when I would jump forward and grab their gun, crowing triumphantly!

It didn't often work, and it was a one round thing, but the satisfaction of taking a greedy fool for a ride was all worth it.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

F201 posted:

Who claimed to be "griefing" anybody? I'm just pointing out that a lot of people in this thread seem to get very angry about cheating on internet games :)

god, you are a prick.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
If you do something, totally innocently and accidentally, is it still grief?

For some reason that escapes me now, I was trying to trigger the CLUCK! quest in WoW. Basically you have to emote /chicken at a certain chicken, which gets it to go friendly to you instead of neutral (and killable). The number of times you have to emote is random, and I watched while this one guy did it for what had to be five minutes.

I'd heard that it was possible to get the quest if someone else got the chicken to go friendly, so as soon as he got it green, I scooted up and clicked on it. Just as I clicked, I realized that my cursor was in combat mode.

"*gack*" goes the chicken.
"YOU PEACE OF poo poo" goes the NE dude who had been chicken-dancing for five minutes.
I was mortified at first, but as soon as he started to scream at me, the whole situation struck me as utterly loving hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing.

On another occasion, I was in a ten-man raid of Lower Blackrock. This was long before Burning Crusade, so it was still a pretty big deal. It was my first raid, and I had a quest to summon and kill this ogre lord down there. Prior experience taught me that pubbies rarely gave a poo poo about side-quests in dungeons, so I took the initiative and performed the summoning.

Immediately, one of my teammates starts screaming at me.
Ten seconds later, while I'm rolling my eyes at this dork who just won't shut up about my ancestry, the whole team (which had been split) gets steamrolled by an ungodly number of ogre lords.
Then I remembered that while you can trigger quest events while in a raid, you don't get any reward for them. Oops.

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?
aimbots are pretty cool when normal players still beat them, which can often happen because botting players are universally awful at the game

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Bieeardo posted:

If you do something, totally innocently and accidentally, is it still grief?

I've had this happen a few times in various Unreal Tournaments. One noticable instance was when I blew a member of the opposing team into the air right as another teammate fired off the guided redeemer.

The redeemer travels two feet, hits the one enemy, and vaporizes half our side. :shobon:

I've been the cause of more than a couple incidences of this kind of faux-griefing, and it's usually as hilarious as it is cringeworthy.

breaks
May 12, 2001

F201 posted:

the goal is to piss people off

No, the goal is do something funny. If it isn't funny, then it's just being an rear end in a top hat.

I understand that you think it's funny and that the issue here is that you simply have a terrible sense of humor.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Ego Piano posted:

aimbots are pretty cool when normal players still beat them, which can often happen because botting players are universally awful at the game

I guess it makes sense that they'd be bad so they're cheating and vice versa but it does seem odd quite how terrible they are. I played one round of Bog on COD4 and there was this one OPFOR who had cheated to be both invulnerable and disguised as a Marine, yet he still only placed 4th or 5th at the end. How the hell can anyone be that terrible?

Ego Piano
Sep 30, 2007
What's that sound?

GetWellGamers posted:

I've had this happen a few times in various Unreal Tournaments. One noticable instance was when I blew a member of the opposing team into the air right as another teammate fired off the guided redeemer.

The redeemer travels two feet, hits the one enemy, and vaporizes half our side. :shobon:

I've been the cause of more than a couple incidences of this kind of faux-griefing, and it's usually as hilarious as it is cringeworthy.

The thing is, if you're playing with decent folks everyone will just laugh this sort of thing off and exclaim how awesome it was.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Seriously, Steam and VAC ban all aimbots, even the ones you have to pay for. They don't do it every day, because people would just build ones harder to detect; they let it go for weeks/months and record all the accounts and do mass bannings.

So if it really pisses you off that badly that someone's aim botting, take heart in the fact they'll get banned and have wasted money on the both the bot and the game.

And also stop talking about it while you're at it.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
edot

Crime on a Dime fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 17, 2010

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Man, I tried to download second life and play it. I meet all the system requirements, and while my graphics card is just an intel 945 integrated chipset on a laptop, it is still meets the requirements. Everything looks like total poo poo when I try to play, gray everywhere and every image loads into three different terribly compressed jpegs before finally rendering.

Any ideas? Not sure where to post this as there is no second life thread, this is where I have seen the most discussion of it...

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Interstellar Idiot posted:

integrated chipset

Most people that have tried onboard graphics don't have much success. Sorry I can't help with this specific issue.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

quote:

aimbots

Theres griefing and then theres aimbots the latter making you a GIANT COCKMUNGERING human being!

but if people did not try and use them this wonderful place would not exist!

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35&order=desc

quote:

Hey guys. I downloaded a private hack from ???????????.com. It said it was undetected. So I downloaded the game, and I was hacking in secure servers. Some people banned me from the server, no idea why. But then later today I logged in, and it said I was banned from VAC. WTF? Why am I banned, steam can't ban me if I was using undetected hack. Please un-ban, because its illegal to ban me from steam when I was using a undetected hack. Thank you for reading this

/derail

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Sokiri posted:

/derail

That can't be real :psyduck:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
^^^^^Never, EVER utter the phrase "No one's THAT stupid" on the internet...^^^^

Ego Piano posted:

The thing is, if you're playing with decent folks everyone will just laugh this sort of thing off and exclaim how awesome it was.

Well yeah, it wasn't pubbie tears flowing like rainwater, but it was always good for that initial "THE gently caress?!" over vent...

Oct 4, 2005

Man, I tried to download second life and play it. I meet all the system requirements, and while my graphics card is just an intel 945 integrated chipset on a laptop, it is still meets the requirements. Everything looks like total poo poo when I try to play, gray everywhere and every image loads into three different terribly compressed jpegs before finally rendering.

Any ideas? Not sure where to post this as there is no second life thread, this is where I have seen the most discussion of it...

If you knock down the draw distance and you might be ok but to be honest sl is far from streamlined and looks pretty poo poo no matter what you do

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Swiss Army Knife posted:

That can't be real :psyduck:

What did i do wrong this time :(

Mumblyfish
Jul 22, 2007
Senselessly gorgeous.

Sokiri posted:

/derail
Valve's response to the ticket was rather amusing.

Mike Blas (Valve) posted:

No need to contact Valve. You should contact ???????????.com and ask for your money back because their undetectable cheat is actually detectable.

Tell them we said "lol", too.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Sokiri posted:

What did i do wrong this time :(

You broke my mind, that's what you did wrong.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Jesus these are some of the stupidest threads on the internet

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

This sounds more like a bandwidth issue than anything else. Although it is always a little slow loading the first time you enter a new area. You can increase the bandwidth Second Life uses by going edit - preferences - network and increasing the slider - but if you have a bad internet speed to begin with it's not going to help much.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

On Second Life? I see nothing out of the ordinary here.

Seriously though, the game looks like utter rear end even in decent areas. I suppose you can't expect too much of it, but jesus. The gray is textures that haven't loaded yet, and the terrible compression is just part of the texture in the process of loading.
It sure is great what Linden Labs can do with all that cash, eh?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

You can do it in Mechwarrior 2, though. If you cram 12 machine guns on a mech, it'll melt just about anything in about 3 seconds.

Unfortunately, the patch for MW2: Mercs that introduced dynamic salvaging (previously all salvage was predetermined no matter what you did) introduced a horrible bug: both laser and AC weapons, if fired during a previous shot's animation (the flareup for lasers or the sparks for AC) are guarentee'd to miss even if you hit them directly in the torso. So if you're cycling weapons it'll completely screw you over. Not sure about alpha strikes though.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Way back in June of 2006 I was just randomly playing a game of iSketch (it's basically online Pictionary, you get a word to draw and other people try to guess it). It was pretty late at night, and out of sheer boredom/sleep deprivation I drew a duck (a poorly drawn one at that). My word was not duck, I just drew one anyway. Much to my surprise, people hated it. They apparently took their online Pictionary very, very seriously. This started a small campaign where me and 2 other friends just went around drawing ducks and sharing stories. I took a lot of screencaps, but looking back on them none of them are particularly good or funny because I never bothered to capture reactions. We had our laughs and I tucked it into a far corner of my mind.

Then this morning, someone reminded me of it. I figured "hey, why not do it again and take better screenshots this time?". So I did. iSketch still hates it.

The first step is to get your duck drawing formula down, there is a time limit involved! These are how my ducks generally look.

Then you draw and watch the game box scroll at maddening speeds with people typing in every word related to ducks and birds they can think of, sometimes pausing to yell for hints.

The reveal is usually the best part.

it's a big deal these here ducks

Of course just drawing a duck would get dull, and that is why you have to spice things up!

Beautiful duck portraits bring dull pubbie observations.

Emotionally charged ducks bring emotionally charged outbursts.

Retarded ducks bring... retarded pubbies? (yeah sorry i didn't know how to link these two)

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
I'd like to join the Operation Duck some night.

FAG ON THE FORUMS
Mar 19, 2003

by Fragmaster
If you really want to piss people off, just start writing out the words, or openly insult the other players by name and draw mean caricatures.

Thello
Jan 14, 2007

Captain's Log...
Yeah, a couple friends and I would draw completely irrelevant things in Inklink, which is Shockwave's Pictionary. It's especially funny when you go into the "expert" level rooms and get asked to draw ridiculous things like "intuition." There's nothing quite like drawing Hitler fending off the allies with Swastika-shaped shurukins and getting real guesses like "absurdity."

anagramarye
Jan 2, 2008

Array Age Man
Somebody should make an SL megathread.

I Said No posted:

CDE375DBA6C2345DBDA50EFE1230CEB63

Sentient Toaster posted:

Your limbs begin to feel numb.

Sentient Toaster posted:

For these reasons my character's warcry was, "Wanna know why it's rude to point?"

Saint Freak posted:

tip bill;delete;delete

Sebmal posted:

ducks

Thello posted:

There's nothing quite like drawing Hitler fending off the allies with Swastika-shaped shurukins and getting real guesses like "absurdity."

These are hilarious.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mumblyfish posted:

Valve's response to the ticket was rather amusing.
See, this is why I wished CoD4 used VAC on their retail edition somehow instead of using PunkBuster while hooked up to Steam. I've only run into an aimbot on a non-PB server, but supposedly they're a real problem and all Punkbuster did was kick me from games until I set it up manually... several times.

Anyhow, griefing the snipers on 2fort became too time-consuming with teleporters so I switched to the flamethrower, but then the one sniper who could actually speak complained to an admin. Luckily I was gone before he could finish saying my username so I can just change it and go back in a few days. I actually ended up being productive on another 24/7 2fort server later since a bunch of the Pyro achievements are 2fort-oriented.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 10, 2008

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Shumagorath posted:

See, this is why I wished CoD4 used VAC on their retail edition somehow instead of using PunkBuster while hooked up to Steam. I've only run into an aimbot on a non-PB server, but supposedly they're a real problem and all Punkbuster did was kick me from games until I set it up manually... several times.
Punkbuster is just about the worst anti-cheat ever. I had to manually update the Punkbuster files via the loving console, which took over an hour to slowly download everything it wanted then decompile it then convert it all to a different file type then copy it etc etc for Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory to get it working again after stopping playing for a few months. It was loving ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrDutch
Jul 9, 2008

Yes they are shoes made of wood. Nothing weird about it, please stop taking my picture. I am NOT a tourist attraction!
Day 3 in second life for me. This time with picture! Though if you dont like pixelated poo, dont bother.

I followed someones advice on seeking houses with 2 people in it, good change you catch them doing something they want to keep private.

So i teleport to some nice beach houses of a sort, and saw 2 green dots on the map, i teleport to there house, and walk in through the front door, they were on the second floor watch tv for chrissakes...

I walk around a bit, and when i stepped outside the front door, they somehow locked it, i dont think they were the owners, becouse they wouldnt ban me, just friends of the owner i guess, i stand outside the house looking through the windows like a perv, completely naked, they turn the windows black and i cant watch anymore :-(.

Luck has it, they didnt lock the backdoor and i go through there, i take the stairs again and enter a room, which i like to call the creepy room...

You see it was a baby room, with pictures of a pixel baby, they even had a photo book:

Ugh, time to go to the master bedroom, there i caught them red handed while they were preparing to get it on, girl was already naked, the guy was halfway there. I get naked too, strap on my dick, and start chasing the chick through the bedroom, no pictures of this sorry.

They keep telling me to get lost, but decide they just leave instead. I take revenge by taking a dump in there dishwasher:

I stroll around the neighbourhood a bit, and see 2 more people together, lucky me! Its the same couple, they take off screaming when they see me peeking through the window though :-(

And some random pictures:

Two goons added me ingame, havent seen them yet, guess becouse of the time difference, im in europe.

Should be fun to get a group together and invade couples houses.

Ingame name: MrDutch Dezno

MrDutch fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 10, 2008

• Locked thread