Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notation
Aug 11, 2004
I've upgraded my Touch to 2.0 and have spent the past hour trying out apps. The store is nicer than Installer, but the selection of free apps isn't too amazing. Some free app standouts:

Remote - Wirelessly control your iTunes.

Pandora - Online radio. My only gripe is that you can't run it in the background, so you can't do anything else while listening to Pandora.

Box Office - Look up movie times for your area. Very simple, but immensely useful. It also lists RottenTomatoes scores for each movie.

Cube Runner - Really simple but addictive game. Think of that 2D cave scroller game, except in 3D. You tilt the iPod to dodge incoming blocks.

The NY Times - Let's you read the NYTimes in a simple layout. It does have banner ads that take up a bit of screen space though.

As for the paid apps, the only ones that I've bought are both games.

Super Monkey Ball - This game looks fantastic. I'm really surprised by how great and crisp the graphics look on the iPod. The tried and true addictive gameplay is well suited for bouts of wasting time on your iPod. The controls take some getting used to; I'm not as good at the game as I would be with analog sticks. Tapping the screen to pause also doesn't seem to work for me.

Bubble Bash - It's a Bust-A-Move clone. I love BAM so I had to get this. The tropical-themed graphics are nice and colorful, albeit cheesy. The controls are great though. You use a slider at the bottom of the screen to aim, and release to shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuthje
Jul 25, 2006

explosivo posted:

I don't know how many of you are waiting for iTunes to start working again to download the 2.0 update, but this suspense is killing me! I just want my apps to work.. :smith:
This method appears to work.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
Has anyone heard anything about how this update affects jailbroken Touches? I'm awfully tempted to try out some of the new apps, but I've grown so accustomed to a lot of the ones I have on there now that I wouldn't want to risk it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

nuthje posted:

This method appears to work.

That's for iPhones only. We have to pay for this update, so trying this method yesterday made me have to restore my iPod.

And as far as Jailbreaking, it was actually unlocked yesterday; that's a day before the update was even released to the public. Looks like the new Pwnage tool to jailbreak is coming soon.

Git
Aug 21, 2004

Some guys at macrumors found the new Touch firmware on Apple's site somewhere. It can apparently be installed without paying the fee.

It would be considered :filez: to post the link here though, right?

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Git posted:

Some guys at macrumors found the new Touch firmware on Apple's site somewhere. It can apparently be installed without paying the fee.

Most likely yes, but then again this thread did contain instructions about how to get the January update apps for free. Not really in a proper position to make that judgement though.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Git posted:

I don't think it could be considered warez if Apple kept it on a public FTP for everyone to find. They charge the 10 bucks for SOx compliance anyway, not like they're out to make a profit on the firmware updates.

spacey
Jul 9, 2001

copperwound
there are no dogs
I'm still trying to connect via ssh to my touch. Bought a new wireless router so I could screw with it at work. So I've at least alleviated the possibility of a bad wireless router.

Anyway, I see on forums everywhere to delete the trusted_addresses file or whatever it's called - but I can't find it anywhere. They say it's in your users/whatever/whatever directory, but as far as I can tell I don't have a users directory on my touch. Also, I've seen media and library directories in like ten places in my finder, so I have no idea which ones to use to place files, if I ever do connect to it. Can anyone help me navigate this directory structure? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I finally connected - the user isn't root anymore, apparently it's dottie. But alpine apparently isn't the password anymore either.

Edit Again:

Okay, the user and pass are still root / alpine. I'm just retarded. And apparently there are a ton of shortcuts that I'm able to see in WinSCP but not in the local finder, so now I'm starting to understand the directory structure a little better. Still don't have a users dir though.

spacey fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 11, 2008

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I'm a little confused. People are saying that the iPod Touch firmware has been upgraded to 2.0, but iTunes is reporting that 1.1.4 is the latest version and that my iPod is up to date.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

n0n0 posted:

I'm a little confused. People are saying that the iPod Touch firmware has been upgraded to 2.0, but iTunes is reporting that 1.1.4 is the latest version and that my iPod is up to date.

There is 2.0 firmware coming out (today?). You're experiencing a bug caused by hitting the "Check for Update" button too many times. I'm not sure how to fix the problem, but you still be able to update once the firmware is released.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This update is amazing. The remote App is mind blowing, pretty much. Much more responsive than I ever thought it would be. And on top of that the January update is included in this, making it a no brainer.

This is awesome. :woop:

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
Wait let me get this straight, firmware 2.0 is something you have to pay for? And when you do get it, it wipes out your Installer and jailbroken iTouch?

Bob Vance
Aug 20, 2006

"Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration. Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration. Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration."
"So...what line of work you in, Bob?"

Dvlos posted:

it wipes out your Installer and jailbroken iTouch?

For me, even plugging in my iPod after iTunes 7.7 did this. Can't say I'm surprised.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bob Vance posted:

For me, even plugging in my iPod after iTunes 7.7 did this. Can't say I'm surprised.

Weird, not for me. I'm running 7.7 right now, my Touch has been plugged in since last night, and is still running just fine on my jailbroken 1.1.4. I've synced several times too.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

Bob Vance posted:

Yeah, my jailbroken Touch works fine with 7.7 after several syncs. I think something else might be going on here.

Although this morning I did have a weird issue where it seemingly wouldn't turn on, which went away after a reset. Couldn't tell if you if it was related, though.

FPSDavid
Oct 29, 2007

by Ozma
Has anyone figured out how to purchase the iPod Touch 2.0 Software Update? When I click "Buy the Software Update" @ http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/appstore/ it opens iTunes to the iTunes Store Main Page, and I see nowhere to purchase the update...

Carabus
Sep 30, 2002

Booya.
It's the same problem iPhone users are dealing with, same update.

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/07/11/itunes-activation-server-pining-for-the-fjords/

RiSK
Dec 9, 2006

The Red Rocket Rifle
Need to be patient, folks. Someone on MacRumors forums who called asking what the deal was found out that the store was getting loving hammered. So, if you don't see the update being available, it's because it's getting hammered, and is going up and down and up and down.

Also, it's complete loving bullshit that I paid $20 for the January update, and no have to pay another $10 to get the 2.0 update, which includes the $20 poo poo I paid for back in January. Apple LOVES to screw early adapters.

Drunk Bettie
Oct 28, 2007

squeeze my head for
delicious juice
I'm still running the jailbreak'd 1.1.1, and I haven't upgraded my iTunes either. I think it's about time, and I'll be updating the iTunes software tonight, along with my iTouch to 1.1.4.

What will this screw up for me?

I'm assuming I'll have to Jailbreak again, but will I lose all my data/songs? Should I wait until the 2.0 software download is stable? I love my touch and just want to make it a little more zesty to soothe my lack-of-iPhone woes.

FPSDavid
Oct 29, 2007

by Ozma

Drunk Bettie posted:

I'm still running the jailbreak'd 1.1.1, and I haven't upgraded my iTunes either. I think it's about time, and I'll be updating the iTunes software tonight, along with my iTouch to 1.1.4.

What will this screw up for me?

I'm assuming I'll have to Jailbreak again, but will I lose all my data/songs? Should I wait until the 2.0 software download is stable? I love my touch and just want to make it a little more zesty to soothe my lack-of-iPhone woes.
Yes, you'll have to jailbreak again (I'm not sure if its ready/out), but I'm not sure what you'll lose other than installer and your apps.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Drunk Bettie posted:

will I lose all my data/songs?

If I remember correctly, you are supposed to restore back to default 1.1.4 before you jailbreak with Ziphone. So you'd lose everything off your Touch.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

CanuckBassist posted:

If I remember correctly, you are supposed to restore back to default 1.1.4 before you jailbreak with Ziphone. So you'd lose everything off your Touch.

Yep. That's true, but you can take a backup of your device and restore that backup after you jailbreak it. :)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

So what's the best free Mac program to back the music up off this thing?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Is anyone else having cookie troubles with 2.0? Google seems to forget my password after a few minutes and the the SA forums let my log in, but will log me out if I choose a sub forum.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

GigaPeon posted:

the SA forums let my log in, but will log me out if I choose a sub forum.

I had this exact problem with jailbroken 1.1.4 once. I couldn't find a solution and just restored back to default and re-jailbroke.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
iTunes 7.7 installed incorrectly and was blue screening my system. Okay, whatever. Reboot a few times, uninstall,reinstall, cool. iTunes 7.7 installed correctly, cool.

Move onto installing the 2.0 update. Going well, backs up everything, looking good I think. It finally started updating the software. Cool, going to have 2.0 soon right? Wrong, error occured (6)! Fantastic, now I'm restoring my iPod to factory settings.

Luckily I really didn't have much effort put into this thing, but what a gigantic pain this update has been. :(

edit: Also, now it's saying my iPod flat out cannot be restored. Any the error is (6), what gives here and what do I do? :( For the records, I never used jailbreak or anything, only been using what Apple feeds me.

edit : Fixed. Read the Apple site, deleted one file, seems to work.

Remote is the single coolest thing in history. The hell with the atomic bomb.

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 13, 2008

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Anyone know how to connect to an 802.1x secured wireless network with EAP-TLS and certificate authentication? From what I read the 2.0 update can do this but I have no idea how to get the certificate on my ipod. Some guide which I can't find again mentioned you have to email the certificate to yourself and open the attachment on the ipod's mail app. I assumed I could just navigate to the file being shared on a webserver with Safari but when I grab the .p7b certificate collection Safari says it doesn't know how to read this file. Is there any way to just copy a file to the drat thing? The enterprise integration Apple was touting with the 2.0 firmware is a bit half baked IMHO.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

CanuckBassist posted:

I had this exact problem with jailbroken 1.1.4 once. I couldn't find a solution and just restored back to default and re-jailbroke.

I'm not jailbroken yet (Is the jailbreak public yet?). Maybe I'll try a restore and see what happens.

Drunk Bettie
Oct 28, 2007

squeeze my head for
delicious juice
Thanks for the replies - I took the plunge this morning, and things are working swimmingly. The restore was brilliant, as I had forgotten to write down my email settings. I was resigned to waiting until Monday to fix it, but it was working as soon as the restore was done. I'm excited about my iTouch again and can stand strong against the insidious iPhone pull for a while longer.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

GigaPeon posted:

Maybe I'll try a restore and see what happens.

Oh yeah, sorry. This is what I meant. Restoring to default fixed it.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

CanuckBassist posted:

Oh yeah, sorry. This is what I meant. Restoring to default fixed it.

A restore worked, although backing up from a previous configuration seemed to break it again. So if this happens to anyone else, be sure to choose the "set up as new iPod" option.

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 13, 2008

VISMAL
Aug 30, 2006
I have an iPod touch and somehow the icons are all messed up. iTunes and video are missing, and the calendar icon is overlapping onto the dock. This is a hacked iPod. How do I get my icons back, what application would be responsible? I can't get into my music or anything.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

VISMAL posted:

I have an iPod touch and somehow the icons are all messed up. iTunes and video are missing, and the calendar icon is overlapping onto the dock. This is a hacked iPod. How do I get my icons back, what application would be responsible? I can't get into my music or anything.

If you have the Customize app installed, it allows hiding icons.

VISMAL
Aug 30, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If you have the Customize app installed, it allows hiding icons.

Yea, but it wont let me unhide it and I upgraded it and now the app wont let me do anything. I cant figure this out at all.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

VISMAL posted:

Yea, but it wont let me unhide it and I upgraded it and now the app wont let me do anything. I cant figure this out at all.

What do you mean by "I upgraded it"? Upgraded Customize, or the firmware, or un-jailbroke it, or what?

VISMAL
Aug 30, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What do you mean by "I upgraded it"? Upgraded Customize, or the firmware, or un-jailbroke it, or what?

Upgraded customize, I can not think of a way to get those icons back besides re jailbraking the thing and installing everything again. I would like to avoid that.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well, I'd try to do this first, if you can.

Go into Customize, and tap Icon Display Order. Then under Settings, tap Number Dock Icons. Set it to four (I've had weird problems with the latest Customize with it set to anything other than four).

Then, if under Custom you tap Manual Reorder, does it even list the Music and Video? If not, what does it list; if so, do any of the icons have the eyeball thing next to them?

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

My iPod touch is 1.4 jailbroken, what do I do to (safely) upgrade to 2.0 ?

I don't mind losing anything but I don't want to brick anything.

OR when will 2.0 be jailbroken ?

(it's Remote and the games that make me want 2.0)

ManWhatADork
Oct 2, 2001

Yossarko posted:

My iPod touch is 1.4 jailbroken, what do I do to (safely) upgrade to 2.0 ?

I don't mind losing anything but I don't want to brick anything.

OR when will 2.0 be jailbroken ?

(it's Remote and the games that make me want 2.0)

I was able to upgrade a Jailbroken 1.4 Touch without issue. I originally downloaded the copy of firmware that was available from Apple prior to the official release and did a manual firmware upgrade. I later put my Touch into Recovery mode and allowed iTunes to download and install the official release (without any charge...). I was willing to pay the $10 but was not required to during the "official" firmware install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

ManWhatADork posted:

I was able to upgrade a Jailbroken 1.4 Touch without issue. I originally downloaded the copy of firmware that was available from Apple prior to the official release and did a manual firmware upgrade. I later put my Touch into Recovery mode and allowed iTunes to download and install the official release (without any charge...). I was willing to pay the $10 but was not required to during the "official" firmware install.
So, I'm assuming you lost all of your jailbreak apps and everything else when you upgraded?

• Locked thread