Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook
Ooooh! I haven't heard them in a while and I need to get some of their stuff, but Submission Hold, as I recall, is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

The Comes "No Side" LP is the best female fronted punk record ever. There's a reason it sells for $150 nowadays.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..
Heaven in Her Arms covering Ampere is so badass.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Eight Is Legend posted:

Gah, can anyone remember someone in this thread posting a wrestling video where a Japanese punk band covered "Sugar We're Goin Down" and some other stuff? I remember checking them out on MySpace and they had a few pretty good songs. I think they were called something with "fist" or "foot"...

Hooray, I found 'em! They are called Over Arm Throw (close enough) - check 'em out, it's not that bad: http://www.myspace.com/overarmthrow

Oh, and their "Sugar We're Goin Down" cover can be heard here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJqaMdpWWbM - it's worth hearing it, if only for the cool accent.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Holy gently caress, the Hellmouth demo sounds loving amazing

http://www.myspace.com/666hellmouth

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
New Cold World is very dissapointing :( I dunno what they're going for on it, but it doesn't really work.

Parachute Underwear posted:

Yeah that's some good stuff. Sounds like Sick of It All. Well maybe just their singer.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

zeldadude posted:

New Cold World is very dissapointing :( I dunno what they're going for on it, but it doesn't really work.

Correction, new Cold World is terrible minus like two songs which are pretty good. Apparently they are Limp Bizkit now or something.

Also, I've got to jock a local band right now. Damages is a thrashy metallic hardcore band from Grand Rapids, MI that is incredibly good at what they do. I'm good friends with everyone in the band and they're awesome dudes. You can't really experience them fully unless you see them live, their recorded poo poo is pretty good but holy gently caress their live show is loving ridiculously good. They definitely don't get enough credit and it's incredibly disappointing that only 25-30 kids show up to their shows.

edit:

Parachute Underwear posted:

Yeah, Hellmouth is loving sick. I wanted to see them tonight in Detroit with Swamp Thing and New Lows so bad but I had no way out there.

Speaking of which, how does everyone feel about Swamp Thing and New Lows?

edit edit: Hellmouth is playing a show with Damages in August. I'm pumped.

Sirius Sam fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 12, 2008

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

albear posted:

Heaven in Her Arms covering Ampere is so badass.

When did this happen. That's loving awesome.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Rock Strongo posted:

Anyone know what happened to the Trash Talk show in NYC tomorrow night? It was supposed to be at the Knitting Factory, now they're listing "Fortress of Solitude" as the venue, which I've never heard of/don't think exists.
That's a house, I think its also called Fortress of Solid Dudes which is a rip of another punk house

ChaosNonMusica posted:

The Comes "No Side" LP is the best female fronted punk record ever. There's a reason it sells for $150 nowadays.
Uh 900% backed, find the recent gism/comes bootleg for an affordable listen

New Homostupids ep "Cat Music" loving slays (new vinyl nerd rear end in a top hat-ery, figure it out for yourself when you buy it) and if anyone likes Silver Abuse (!!!!!!!) the guys are trying to sell tshirts from their recent reunion

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 12, 2008

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I know I've asked this before, there's a couple web and traditional programmers in NMD and specifically the punk/hardcore threads. What do people use to keep track of their record collection?

Would anyone be interested in (for now) discussing how feasible it would be to get together on a php/flash/actionscript/whatever database system that anyone can use to categorize their records, that would import/export to regular formats, etc?

I've found a lot of neat flash scripting that lets you browse albums graphically from a database but I don't code, I hacked together a basic php script to display my record database but that's it so far.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh also I think that Hiretsukan is the best female-vocals hardcore/punk whatever band ever. Ever.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Inspector_71 posted:

Oh also I think that Hiretsukan is the best female-vocals hardcore/punk whatever band ever. Ever.

You misspelled Poison Girls, dude.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Inspector_71 posted:

When did this happen. That's loving awesome.

In their split with Killie (another Japanese band that covers La Quiete)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mike_V posted:

You misspelled Poison Girls, dude.

Yeah, and you misspelled "Agreed".

albear posted:

In their split with Killie (another Japanese band that covers La Quiete)

Oh God I need new to hear this (and new pants.)

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Inspector_71 posted:

Oh God I need new to hear this (and new pants.)

Well get on it hammy, it's not hard to find.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

albear posted:

Well get on it hammy, it's not hard to find.

I'm in Israel right now, it'll have to wait till I'm home later this week.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Saw Gaslight Anthem at Warped Tour yesterday and they were phenomenal.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Saw Transistor Transistor in Decibel magazine today, with a really positive review for Ruined Lives. Which they definitely deserve, that album absolutely rules. I know one of the members posts here, so good job!! You guys deserve it!

COCKISPOISON
Mar 13, 2007

Mike_V posted:

This Is My Fist! is one of my favorite female fronted bands (don't tell anyone I like Lemuria :ssh: ). NotAnAnthem, are they still together (I think they're from Chicago or something)?

They're from Oakland, moved to Chicago last year. They've broken up and re-formed many times, the only remaining original member is Annie the singer.

COCKISPOISON
Mar 13, 2007
As for female-fronted bands (girls can't play instruments, hurrrrr) browsing my record shelf gives me this list (skipping the obvious ones like Bikini Kill) :

45 Grave
7 Year Bitch
A.P.P.L.E
Abaddon
Adverts
The Alibis
Antischism (One of the best punk bands, ever, hands down. Lyz is a badass and one of the most genuine and inspiring people I've ever had the honor of calling a friend.)
Appalachian Terror Unit (Good folks!)
Aus Rotten (When Adrienne Droogas was singing)
Attake
Au Pairs
Avengers (Penelope is also a great, great lady!)
Babes In Toyland
The Bags
Ballast (Played one of the best shows I've ever put on with 1905 in '99)
The Bangs
Battle Of Mice (not really punk, but awesome)
Bayonettes
Big In Japan
Black Fork
Blatz
Bratmobile
Bread & Water
Busy Signals
Call The Police
Chumbawamba
Circle Takes The Square
Condenada
Contra La Contra (loving amazing)
Contravene
Damad
Dangerloves
Dead Moon
Decadent Few
Defile
Detestation
DIRT (all time favorite)
Edith Nylon (French new-wave)
Eyeliners
F-Minus
Fastbacks
Flowers In The Dustbin
Frightwig
Gather
Gits
Gorilla Angreb
Gossip
Hagar The Womb
Harum Scarum
Heavens To Betsy
Homomilitia
Honey Bane
Hue & Cry
Huggy Bear
Internal Autonomy
Iskra
Josie Cotton
Julie Ruin
Juliana Hatfield Trio
L7
La Fraction (one of the best bands to tour with, Magalie is AMAZING live)
Life...But How To Live It?
LiLiPuT
Liz Phair (only the Exile In Guyville LP)
Lost Cherrees
Lost World
Ludicra
Lydia Lunch
Made Out Of Babies
Masturbation
Mika Miko
Margaret Thrasher
The Muffs
Myth Of Progress
Nikki & The Corvettes
Nuns
One Reason
Patti Smith
Penetration
Petrograd
Poison Girls
Potential Threat
Post-Regiment (After '89 when Nika took over singing)
Raincoats
Rezillos
Riff Randells
Rubella Ballet
Sado-Nation
Screaming Sneakers (one of my favorite 7"'s I own)
Shaggs
Submission Hold
Spitboy
Spitch
Star loving Hipsters (not out yet, I sang some backup on it, Nico sings lead)
Stiff Jeans
Surrender
Suzi Quatro
Thee Headcoatees
Toxic Ephex
Toxic Waste
Under Satan's Sun
Unlovables
VKTMs
Whorehouse Of Representatives
Youth In Asia
Yeastie Girls

If I have time later, I'll go through more of my 7"'s but there's some neat articles here:

http://www.punk77.co.uk/punkettes/features.htm

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Lebenden Toten too! They loving rule.

dudstur
Jun 24, 2008

Sirius Sam posted:

Also, I've got to jock a local band right now. Damages is a thrashy metallic hardcore band from Grand Rapids, MI that is incredibly good at what they do. I'm good friends with everyone in the band and they're awesome dudes. You can't really experience them fully unless you see them live, their recorded poo poo is pretty good but holy gently caress their live show is loving ridiculously good. They definitely don't get enough credit and it's incredibly disappointing that only 25-30 kids show up to their shows.

They are playing with my friends (all hype) soon at the static age.
I have seen them once i think and they are pretty good.

Also, I'm guessing you live in GR. I live in the south detroit/downriver area.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

dudstur posted:

They are playing with my friends (all hype) soon at the static age.
I have seen them once i think and they are pretty good.

Also, I'm guessing you live in GR. I live in the south detroit/downriver area.

Yeah I do. Do you come around to GR much? There's something about All Hype it seems, there's another goon that's friends with them too.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Isn't there a new post regiment band going on, someone told me but the name slips my mind.

lifeloveregret
Nov 29, 2005

start spreading the news
If anyone lives in Southern California, come see my new band play with La Quiete, Phoenix Bodies and Comadre on August 5th in Riverside.

We're called Bad Lovers and it's two of us from Restrained.
Most of our influence comes from Jesus Lizard, Kittens, the Liars.

It's what me and the drummer have been wanting to do for a long time and we're very happy to get on such a great show.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
So would this be the place to talk about the Despise You tour coming up? I am so thankful that they are not only coming to Texas, playing are actually playing in Houston, too.

COCKISPOISON
Mar 13, 2007

Not an Anthem posted:

Isn't there a new post regiment band going on, someone told me but the name slips my mind.

Yeah, there is. I don't remember the name either but if I remember correctly they're releasing an EP this year.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Even though they were mentioned above in the list of female-fronted bands, the Muffs are one of the most criminally underrated bands out there. Even though they don't have any unorthodox instrumentation, you should pick up Blonder and Blonder or Alert Today, Alive Tomorrow just to hear Kim Shattuck scream. Every time I hear her, it sends shivers up my spine.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
New trash talk: hooooooooooooly poo poo :aaa:

HugnKiss
Jul 7, 2008

I Don't Want To Grow Up

mrmanatee posted:

As far as female fronted with weirder instruments, why hasn't anybody mentioned the Epoxies? Keytars and Roxy Epoxie. You can't go wrong!

They're one of my favorite bands. It's a shame that they are on "hiatus". The two albums they've released are really solid. I saw them live three times during their 2006 summer tour with The Aquabats and Phenomenauts. They put on a crazy show.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

zeldadude posted:

Quite possibly the best hardcore album of this year by far.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

zeldadude posted:

New trash talk: hooooooooooooly poo poo

Not a fan of the music but Spencer rules.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

zeldadude posted:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

lifeloveregret posted:

If anyone lives in Southern California, come see my new band play with La Quiete, Phoenix Bodies and Comadre on August 5th in Riverside.

We're called Bad Lovers and it's two of us from Restrained.

Weird, I didn't know you were in Restrained. I'm definitely a fan. I live up in San Luis Obispo but I'll probably come down to that one too (in addition to the 2nd and 3rd up in the bay area).

EDIT: And this is more relavant here than the vinyl I thread I think but yeah, my complete (excluding tests) Allegiance collection:

rivals fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 16, 2008

acup
Sep 11, 2001

rivals posted:

Weird, I didn't know you were in Restrained. I'm definitely a fan. I live up in San Luis Obispo but I'll probably come down to that one too (in addition to the 2nd and 3rd up in the bay area).

EDIT: And this is more relavant here than the vinyl I thread I think but yeah, my complete (excluding tests) Allegiance collection:

I have all of those except the red Demo 2002 and that cassette. I do have their CD demo though :)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

acup posted:

I have all of those except the red Demo 2002 and that cassette. I do have their CD demo though :)

Rad! How'd you get the rootbeer color of the IA split, and how much did it run you if you don't mind me asking? Oh and the double IA label 7", that was the last thing I got.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
So I've been trying to find a bunch of the bands you guys recommended to me but it's proving to be difficult. Obviously I don't want to spend $400 on bands I've never heard and most of these bands aren't on LastFM, so if someone could point me to places where I can listen to some of this poo poo online I would love you all.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

rivals posted:

Rad! How'd you get the rootbeer color of the IA split, and how much did it run you if you don't mind me asking? Oh and the double IA label 7", that was the last thing I got.

poo poo, I didn't even notice that IA split. And I didn't even have a clue that there was another version with two IA labels. Looks like my collection isn't as complete as I thought it was :(.

lifeloveregret
Nov 29, 2005

start spreading the news

rivals posted:

Thanks so much. Restrained is doing a couple northern california dates with The Separation ; i think Redding, Arcata and Oakland. not sure if those are near SLO as i'm pretty bad with that stuff, but come check it out if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Anyone seen The Damned recently? They're playing HoB soon and I may go see them if they're still any good. I think my uncle wants to go or something.