Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I will eat your children.

Dr. Magnificent posted:

Yesterday I listened to Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads. I liked it a lot and was wondering where to go next.

Haha! Nick Cave and his shenanigans are amongst my favorite music.

Personally, I went from Murder Ballads to Henry's Dream. Which has kinda the same feeling. But it depends on what you like. His albums after (and including) Let Love In (which is one of my favorites) or The Good Son, is generally more accessible, while those before, although better in many ways, needs a bit of listens to get into.

If you want my advice, begin at Murder Ballads, then get the album before it (Let Love In) and the one after (The Boatman's Call) and work your way in each direction.

When your done with his discography, start listening to The Birthday Party.

Highlights include From Her to Eternity, Tender Prey, The Good Son, Live Seeds, Let Love In, Murder Ballads, No More Shall We Part and Dig Lazarus, Dig (the title track is awful, but the rest is quite nice).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burntloser
Mar 28, 2006

Quilted for her pleasure.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Also, for any of you metalheads out there, I've had the desire to pick up some Zao, but wasn't sure what to get.

Check out the All Else Failed re-release for something a bit different from their current stuff. It's what did it for me.

How should I approach Ice T? Is Body Count worth looking into?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

wildwookie05 posted:

Starting to get into some Kraut Rock, where should with Faust and Neu!
?

It kind of depends whether or not you are looking for more whacked out, experimental stuff or the more rhythmic and influential stuff. Neu! only has three albums (well, four technically if you count the aborted 80's project that was released, but it's not really that good), so it's not hard to just get them all. The first album is generally cited as the most influential and it is fairly experimental, however does feature some pretty awful stuff (I'm talking about the vocals on the last track). "Hallo Gallo" is probably their most famous track and is definitely the most influential. Despite that I'd say the best starting point is Neu! '75, without a doubt in my mind their best and most solid album. It was still influential and forward looking in the eventual electronic field ("Isi"), and they were doing thrash/punk stuff before it was even popular ("After Eight").

As for Faust there's a few good choices. Their most accessible and best albums are So Far and Faust IV. The latter is generally considered to be better, although I personally like So Far a little more since it contains one of my favorite Kraut tracks ever ("No Harm"). Despite that I think IV covers the different facets of the band better. Their debut (the X-ray fist album) is widely considered to be one of the best avant-garde albums ever. It's certainly a trip but it doesn't really represent what the band was about. If you like them the rest of the 'first incarnation' is good. They came back in the 90's and are still around and have been pretty spotty and noisy, although Ravvivando is one of the best industrial-type albums I've ever heard and it came out recently.

If you don't have them already and are interested in this kind of music, I'd definitely get some Can albums too, they are in the same style and are equally influential. Get Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi, and Future Days - I hate to be a guy who recommends three albums from a band that you aren't even asking about but they are all 5-star albums to me, and in my mind the only band to ever release three great albums in a row like that.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

burntloser posted:

Check out the All Else Failed re-release for something a bit different from their current stuff. It's what did it for me.

How should I approach Ice T? Is Body Count worth looking into?

ZAO's Liberete Te Ex Inferis is the album that got me to like them, and the only one I still regularly listen to by them.

for Ice-T, get O.G, Original Gangster. Body Count is okay, but his rapping is better and O.G has a Body Count style song called Body Count on it.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

Pyramid Head posted:

Where do I start with Phish?

I'd start with Billy Breathes first for a taste of their more commercial output. Then try Junta, which has some extended jamming that is prevalent in all their live shows. For a stellar live performance, definitely get New Year's Eve 1995 - Live at Madison Square Garden.

If you're still with Phish after that, then anywhere you go from there won't be much of a surprise. The two albums they released after their brief hiatus, Round Room and Undermind, don't live up to their old standards but they're still worth checking out. And every Live Phish volume is great too, especially Volumes 13, 14, and 15 where they cover the entirety of the Beatles' White Album, the Who's Quadrophenia, and Talking Heads' Remain in Light albums respectively.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Rush.

I've heard and liked Moving Pictures, especially YYZ. Where should I go next?

Halfsharkalligator
Dec 11, 2007

come on feet, cruise for me
come on feet, come on run
So I got Bee Thousand by Guided By Voices and I love it. So where do I go from from here?

Stan Baniszewski
Jul 3, 2007

Al2001 posted:

What Bobby Conn stuff should I buy? I think the man has a special kind of brilliance which probably doesn't always translate to record. This is loving incredible though.

His first, eponymous, album is one of my favorite ever.
The following albums are enjoyable as well but they are less convincing.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

wildwookie05 posted:

Starting to get into some Kraut Rock, where should with Faust and Neu!
?

Additionally I'd like to recommend some Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk, if you're into the electronic aspect of Krautrock. Phaedra and Rubycon are great Tangerine Dream albums. Kraftwerk eventually got pretty far away from Krautrock, but their early stuff is pretty spot-on, especially Autobahn.

Additionally, I'd like to recommend Amon Duul II, and their album Phallus Dei. It's not electronic, and is considered one of "the" Krautrock albums.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

3D GAY WORLD posted:

Additionally I'd like to recommend some Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk, if you're into the electronic aspect of Krautrock. Phaedra and Rubycon are great Tangerine Dream albums. Kraftwerk eventually got pretty far away from Krautrock, but their early stuff is pretty spot-on, especially Autobahn.

Additionally, I'd like to recommend Amon Duul II, and their album Phallus Dei. It's not electronic, and is considered one of "the" Krautrock albums.

Rubycon is a fantastic album (and was taken to the next level in Coil's "reinterpretation" of it as "Red Birds Will Fly Out of the East and Destroy Paris in a Night"). There is a lot of horrible Tangerine Dream, but at their best they were amazing. I've never been into Kraftwerk, really, but everyone should hear Autobahn. And maybe Tour de France. Also, Phallus Dei (and Amon Düül II in general) rule.

As for Faust and Neu! I say start with Faust IV and the self-titled (respectively), then try The Faust Tapes and Neu! 2 ("Für Immer" is their best track, but the rest of the album is pretty weak).

19charactersorless.
Apr 26, 2006

If these guys do their job I might have my eyes back in as soon as Monday.

Halfsharkalligator posted:

So I got Bee Thousand by Guided By Voices and I love it. So where do I go from from here?

Give Alien Lanes a try, it's pretty similar in style and from there try Isolation Drills to sample their more polished later-days sound.

Brian Flanagan
Nov 27, 2007
And I thought he smelled bad...ON THE OUTSIDE

Popcorn posted:

I yet seek instruction regarding Donovan though. Is there more stuff out there by like "Colours"? It's the only song I know (from a movie soundtrack) and I love it. Can anyone help?

Gift From a Flower to a Garden is more towards the folky side of his work, if that's your sort of thing, but I'd recommend Sunshine Superman for a better overall feel of his stuff (it has Mellow Yellow on it and Season of the Witch). I've also heard that his earlier stuff was more Bob Dylan-y, like Colours, so you may want to check that out.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me find more glam rock/glam influenced rock? I've got all the Bowie, T. Rex and Mott the Hoople albums, as well as some of newer stuff like Spacehog and The Eagles of Death Metal (maybe glam). I've liked some singles by groups like Mud and Alvin Stardust too. What else is out there that has that real glam sound to it?

Law Talking Guy
Jul 28, 2003
I AM A LIAR
Where do I start with Neil Young?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Brian Flanagan posted:

I'm wondering if anyone can help me find more glam rock/glam influenced rock? I've got all the Bowie, T. Rex and Mott the Hoople albums, as well as some of newer stuff like Spacehog and The Eagles of Death Metal (maybe glam). I've liked some singles by groups like Mud and Alvin Stardust too. What else is out there that has that real glam sound to it?

Give a listen to Roxy Music. Go for their self-titled album and see what you think.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Where do I start with Pendulum?

I'm looking for some instrumental type D&B but which changes consistently throughout the song, and maybe a little bit slower than Pendulum as well? I would just like something I can draw to and not have really obnoxious sounds/beats/screeches come up every once in a while (Electronica).

Eihwaz
Jul 19, 2008

Cut Like Knives posted:

So I've always been into Drum & Bass and Jungle, and lately I've been getting a little bored of it. I keep hearing about Dubstep and Grime, and from what I have heard (only really heard some Grime, but I liked it a lot) I'd like to get into this stuff. Where should I start with either of those?
I don't know a whole lot about dubstep, but I'd highly recommend Burial. His music tends to consist of off-kilter beats, pitch-shifted vocal samples, and ethereal ghostly ambiance.

His first, self-titled album has a few particularly good tracks (especially "Distant Lights"), but his second album, Untrue is completely awesome from beginning to end. "Archangel", "Ghost Hardware", and the title track are all excellent standouts, but the album works marvelously well as a whole. I've never quite found an album (other than perhaps a few trip-hop albums) as perfect for late night activities as Untrue.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Eihwaz posted:

I don't know a whole lot about dubstep, but I'd highly recommend Burial. His music tends to consist of off-kilter beats, pitch-shifted vocal samples, and ethereal ghostly ambiance.

His first, self-titled album has a few particularly good tracks (especially "Distant Lights"), but his second album, Untrue is completely awesome from beginning to end. "Archangel", "Ghost Hardware", and the title track are all excellent standouts, but the album works marvelously well as a whole. I've never quite found an album (other than perhaps a few trip-hop albums) as perfect for late night activities as Untrue.

From what I've heard, Burial isn't very similar to most other grime/dubstep. I went the other way (listened to Burial, then other grime/dubstep) and found them quite different.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Where do I start with the Wu-Tang Clan, including all of their solo albums? Enter The Wu-Tang and GZA's Liquid Swords are the ones that I've heard recommended the most.

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 25, 2008

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Where do I start with the Wu-Tang Clan, including all of their solo albums? Enter The Wu-Tang and GZA's Liquid Swords are the ones that I've heard recommended the most.

Enter The Wu-Tang->Liquid Swords->Only Built 4 Cuban Linx->Return to the 36 Chambers->Wu-Tang Forever

You can go where you want from there depending on what you like since there are a couple of other good albums by them, group and solo, but I think those are the 5 essential ones and the best timeline. Wu-Tang Forever I think should go last because there's kind of an evolution from 36 Chambers to it and going from one to the other without hearing how they got there Regardless of where you go I also highly recommend all of Ghostface's albums. Also, be advised that outside of Ghostface, ODB, and some would argue Meth, nobody in the group made more than one good album.

Eihwaz
Jul 19, 2008

alansmithee posted:

From what I've heard, Burial isn't very similar to most other grime/dubstep. I went the other way (listened to Burial, then other grime/dubstep) and found them quite different.
Yeah, I've never listened to any other dubstep, but I love Burial. From what I've read about the scene, though, it's a lot more focused towards 12" singles as opposed to albums. Given that, I'll probably not like other dubstep as much as I like Burial.

But who knows?

fastpork
Jul 16, 2008

Law Talking Guy posted:

Where do I start with Neil Young?
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/5e/c6/09e9228348a01e0b69bae010.L.jpg

http://human-highway.com/pages/album/TTN.jpg
Either really.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

quizilla
May 31, 2005
huge slut
Nice hotlinking there, dipshit.

Eihwaz
Jul 19, 2008
I've been listening to Iggy Pop, specifically his heavily Bowie-fied debut album, The Idiot. I can tell that this record is definitely not representative of his usual sound, but I still want to try some more out. Other than obvious choices (like Lust for Life, or his work with the Stooges), what are some other good Iggy Pop albums to look for?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

HP Hovercraft posted:

Rush.

I've heard and liked Moving Pictures, especially YYZ. Where should I go next?

Listen to 2112. It's up their on the same tier of quality as Moving Pictures but it's a bit more progressive. It's worth it for the 20 minute long title track alone, which is a stunning of example of how to make a longass song actually work.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
I think this thread deserves a bump.

Where do I start with The Fall? Their discography is large and intimidating. I've heard This Nations Saving Grace is their best album, but what else is good?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

HP Hovercraft posted:

I think this thread deserves a bump.

Where do I start with The Fall? Their discography is large and intimidating. I've heard This Nations Saving Grace is their best album, but what else is good?

Anything from the '80s is good, especially Hex Enduction Hour, Perverted by Language and Grotesque After the Gramme, the first two albums are solid too, early '90s is decent, late '90s blows and '00s is mostly alright but no comparison to '80s.

WantlessPonder
Apr 4, 2007

Kinda like a pint a Guinness.
I had heard a lot of good things about Strapping Young Lad for years, and I finally decided to give them a listen. I listened to "Love?" and I really liked it. So, should I start with that album or is there another one you'd recommend?

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Where do I start with Smog? He has a crazy amount of albums, but every song I hear of his is fantastic.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

WantlessPonder posted:

I had heard a lot of good things about Strapping Young Lad for years, and I finally decided to give them a listen. I listened to "Love?" and I really liked it. So, should I start with that album or is there another one you'd recommend?

Alien is excellent, but City is SYL at their most aggressive and chaotic. It's considered to be their classic and I'd probably start with that one.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Where should I start with Maceo Parker? Because people have sworn to me that it's not all the smooth jazz cheesefest I got with Funk Overload

Rikkmeister
Mar 20, 2006
I'm mostly into trip hop lately, and listened to a few compilations, but which albums should I listen to, to get into Lamb and Morcheeba?

sideburns
Jan 5, 2005
Which album should I start with to get into the Beach Boys? I heard a remix of the song wouldnt it be nice and decided i would probably like some other songs of theirs.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

sideburns posted:

Which album should I start with to get into the Beach Boys? I heard a remix of the song wouldnt it be nice and decided i would probably like some other songs of theirs.

Almost everyone is going to say Pet Sounds because it's their best, but I think a band like the Beach Boys is best heard chronologically. Start off with Surfin' USA to get familiar with their earliest work, then get All Summer Long as your 2nd album. To maximize your appreciation of the band you should listen closely, for example listen for the melody on the background vocals on "I Get Around" and notice how great it sounds. After this get Today! and Summer Days, then you're ready for Pet Sounds and most of the albums that came out in the following few years.

By the way, there was an album called Smile that was supposed to come out right after Pet Sounds but it was never released until a few years ago. Pick this up as well even though it's more a Brian Wilson solo work than a Beach Boys work. Also look into how the Beach Boys were competing with/inspiring/being inspired by the other major 60s bands like the Beatles and Stones as it's an interesting story.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
I have Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust, Space Oddity, and Hunky Dory. Where do I go after that for Bowie?

WE RIDE
Jul 29, 2003

Juttman posted:

I have Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust, Space Oddity, and Hunky Dory. Where do I go after that for Bowie?
Low is pretty much regarded as a total classic.

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct
where do i start with Ben Folds

Eihwaz
Jul 19, 2008

Juttman posted:

Try some of his more experimental stuff, like Low, "Heroes", or Station to Station (a personal favorite). Some of his mid-90's stuff is kind of interesting, too: while Outside is kind of pretentious and over-long, it has a number of good songs on it.

Eihwaz fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 22, 2008

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Where do I start with Glenn Gould? I tried listening to his 1981 recording of the Goldberg Variations, but I can't get past the fact that he loving hums along with his playing the entire time. It's incredibly annoying, especially on headphones. Does he do this on the 1950s recording too? What's the best Bach recording of his? I've heard good things about his recording of the Bach preludes and fugues.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

bobz0r posted:

where do i start with Ben Folds

Any of three Ben Folds Five albums. Whatever and Ever Amen is the most accessible (tho they are all very accessible, that one's the most immediate.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linden
May 6, 2007

"It's a magical world...Let's go exploring!"
Can anyone recommend any good M.A.N.D.Y. tracks or mixes? House / Minimal people seem to absolutely be in love with them, but I don't really know too much about them. Im coming from the Trance side of the Dance scene, but I like plenty of House / Electro DJs like Justice and Boys Noize.