Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Braincloud posted:

Does it have a body lift on it? I remember way back in the day when I had a body lift (puke) on my Toyota it made shifting into 2nd a bit of a chore. I had to trim a bit of the tub around the shifter to allow for full movement, but once I threw the shift boot back on, it would sometimes pull it out of gear.

That being said, where are the pictures of your new TJ?!

Hmm, I don't think it's got a body lift, I'll check the shifter more thoroughly when I pick it up, and I'll put some pics up too after I detail it. I probably won't see it till Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I was gonna drive my Jeep today, but it was INFESTED WITH ANTS. The front two doors have ants crawling all around them. What the gently caress? I have no idea why they decided to build a nest in there. There isn't any food or trash in there for them to eat. Bizarre. Why can't they just stick to digging in the drat ground?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I was gonna drive my Jeep today, but it was INFESTED WITH ANTS. The front two doors have ants crawling all around them. What the gently caress? I have no idea why they decided to build a nest in there. There isn't any food or trash in there for them to eat. Bizarre. Why can't they just stick to digging in the drat ground?

Ants like to take it off road too brah!!

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
I finally bought the good drill bits I needed and finished making my Hi-Lift jack mount for my roof rack.

I don't have pictures of it yet, since I'm a slacker, but it's nice. And gets it out of the back seat.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

You know.. waiting for the title to switch over so I can pick up my new TJ is probably the longest wait I've ever experienced in my life. I want my jeep god dammit!

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
What broken state do you live in where you can't buy a car and take possession within about two seconds of all the paperwork being done at the dealer/the title being handed to you by the previous owner?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Aran posted:

What broken state do you live in where you can't buy a car and take possession within about two seconds of all the paperwork being done at the dealer/the title being handed to you by the previous owner?

A state where my bank wants to hold the title until I give them gobs of cash.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
Rob them. :colbert:

Qweezy
Mar 12, 2008

by Livestock
I am now the proud owner of a 2003 Wrangler X, 65k on the clock, black soft-top, manual transmission. I'll post pics in the next couple of days.

Here's my issue: Until today, I have never owned or driven a manaul transmission vehicle. I know, I know, but I have finally decided to man up and learn. Anyway, after spending the day driving in circles in an empty parking lot and on a deserted hill, I'm beginning to question my decision. After lurking AI for some time, I've pretty much figured out that the majority of posters here prefer manual to automatic transmission, so I thought I'd toss this out there and see what the response is. What are your thoughts? Aside from the transmission, this was the perfect Jeep for me, and I figured I'd eventually overcome my inexperience with the manual. Any advice/thoughts/opinions? Thanks!

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Qweezy posted:

I am now the proud owner of a 2003 Wrangler X, 65k on the clock, black soft-top, manual transmission. I'll post pics in the next couple of days.

Here's my issue: Until today, I have never owned or driven a manaul transmission vehicle. I know, I know, but I have finally decided to man up and learn. Anyway, after spending the day driving in circles in an empty parking lot and on a deserted hill, I'm beginning to question my decision. After lurking AI for some time, I've pretty much figured out that the majority of posters here prefer manual to automatic transmission, so I thought I'd toss this out there and see what the response is. What are your thoughts? Aside from the transmission, this was the perfect Jeep for me, and I figured I'd eventually overcome my inexperience with the manual. Any advice/thoughts/opinions? Thanks!

Jeeps are generally regarded as the hardest possible vehicle to learn to drive a standard on, up there with learning on a tractor. Once you get it, you'll be able to drive anything from then on, but it'll take a bit longer than learning on another car.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
I learned on my first Wrangler. In fact up until I test drove it I had only driven a manual vehicle a few times for laughs but understood the concept.

I had the hardest time with starting on hills. I'd say keep practicing, and just get out and drive it. If you can find surface roads with no or few hills try driving around there. I think it's best to just jump in.

Once you get the hang of it you will love it. I kinda wish I had a manual over my 3 speed auto in my current YJ.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
I learned how to use a manual transmission on my first motorcycle, a 600CC supersport. I think it took me about 15-20 minutes the first or second day of December with snow and ice all over to get a good feel for it.

Edit:

I unlazied myself for a bit - Here's a view of the roof rack mount I made for my (off-brand) high lift jack

Along with the axe and shovel that give my grandmother miniature heart attacks every time she sees them because they're "weapons" and I'm going to go to jail for them one of these days, she's sure of it.

Aran fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 14, 2008

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Qweezy posted:

It takes a while. My first drive in a 5 spd jeep after driving my manual civic for a few years was a little strange. Once I figured out the engine liked to be kept at lower RPM it seemed fine though. I found everything was a lot more sensitive too but I actually love that.

It took me about two weeks I would say to not be worried on a hill start.

markdown
Jan 14, 2008
2 baristas, one drink.

ethanol posted:

So I testdrove the jeep yesterday at a dealership. What I didn't know is that it would be a 2000 Sahara with 35" monsters and a 5" lift. It was loving huge.

Are you from the Annapolis area? The dealer out here has one of those things sitting behind it. its insane

markdown
Jan 14, 2008
2 baristas, one drink.
Where is the best place online to buy parts?

markdown fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 14, 2008

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

markdown posted:

Where is the best place online to buy parts?

What do you want?

I find 4wd.com usually beats quadratec.com on prices. These 2 have the largest amount of jeep stuff in one place. Then the portals to bonertown.

mountainoffroad.com
atozfabrication.com
metalfusion.com
sniperfab.com
spydercustoms.com
genright.com
rockhard4x4.com

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Currently driving a POS Chevy but I definitely want to get back in on the Jeep excitement as soon as I go ahead and ease into my career in the next couple of years. I miss the Cherokee Sport, and since that isn't around any more I suppose the next closest thing is the Patriot? I know it has the suspension and off-road capabilities and space, but other than that how does it compare?

Oh yeah, and has anyone actually tried completely restoring a Comanche? What would you think of something like this?
http://www.jeep-classifieds.com/31214_jeep-ad.html

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
The Patriot is a gussied-up Dodge Caliber. It's better on road and gets better mileage than the Cherokee, but it's more along the lines of the older Toyota RAV-4 or a small Ford Escape - definitely not made for offroad jaunts, although better than 95% of its competition.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

OneOverZero posted:

The Patriot is a gussied-up Dodge Caliber. It's better on road and gets better mileage than the Cherokee, but it's more along the lines of the older Toyota RAV-4 or a small Ford Escape - definitely not made for offroad jaunts, although better than 95% of its competition.

I thought the Patriot and the Commander were just bad redesigns of the Cherokee honestly. Gotta remember, the Cherokee kinda help start the SUV craze

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
Does anyone have experience with mounting a GPS unit in a Wrangler (2004, X model)? The obvious solution would be to use a windshield suction cup mount, but I've read that they are illegal in some states and that they are a giant flashing STEAL STUFF HERE signal which is unnerving in the summer months with the soft top on. I'm not sure if a beanbag system would work or not given the freakishly small dashboard of a Wrangler.

Looking at going with a Garmin nuvi 260w for the GPS unit if that makes any difference.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

PDP-1 posted:

Does anyone have experience with mounting a GPS unit in a Wrangler (2004, X model)? The obvious solution would be to use a windshield suction cup mount, but I've read that they are illegal in some states and that they are a giant flashing STEAL STUFF HERE signal which is unnerving in the summer months with the soft top on. I'm not sure if a beanbag system would work or not given the freakishly small dashboard of a Wrangler.

Looking at going with a Garmin nuvi 260w for the GPS unit if that makes any difference.

My nuvi's suction cup is quick release. It has a little lever that releases the whole contraption in about 3 seconds and leaves no sign of GPS. Makes me wonder why they couldn't figure this quick release out five years ago with my radar detector.. that thing is a nightmare.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
Don't forget the suction cup rings they sometimes leave

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
A Wrangler is the easiest vehicle to mount a GPS in; just buy a roll-bar mount. I unfortunately can't find it, but it was posted here before; an interchangeable-head roll-bar mount that allows you to mount a GPS to the roll-bar, or a camera if you prefer.

Qweezy
Mar 12, 2008

by Livestock
Thanks for the responses re: learning manual on a Wrangler. My friend who is teaching me made similar comments; he was suprised by the stiffness of the clutch and how quickly the engine wants to shift. Anyway, after a day and a half of practice, I'm on the road and doing well. Still not 100%, but drat, this is a fun vehicle! Can't wait till it becomes second nature. Pics soon.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

RightHonourableHolt posted:

Oh yeah, and has anyone actually tried completely restoring a Comanche? What would you think of something like this?
http://www.jeep-classifieds.com/31214_jeep-ad.html
There is a few nicely restored Comanches out there, and that looks like it could be a candidate if you are into that. I love having a sort of beat up Comanche because I drive it through the woods and load it down all the time and don't really care how it looks. Most parts are very easy to find since it is the same as a Cherokee from the cab forward. However, Jeep no longer makes some of the parts behind the cab such as fuel pump and spare tire hoist. Beds are also becoming increasingly hard to find, but that one seems to be in good shape, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Jack_Handey posted:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/747116649.html

I'm about to buy this tomorrow, can you guys tell if it's a Renix or a HO by looking at it? I can't quite tell, but I think it's a Renix, which makes me kinda sad because I told the guy I wanted it.

Did you ever end up buying it? I just spied a stroker.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
The death wobble is gone! Hurray! I took my wrangler to Pep Boys, dreading that they would rip me off, but I asked them to do a diagnosis and they found out the steering dampener was leaking and the car needed a wheel balance. He told me $180 originally but ended up charging me $130 (parts 35.99, labor 91.40 [WTF!]). I don't know if that's too much or what, I'm just glad the drat thing isn't shaking anymore. I did my research beforehand and told him to check the track bar and suspension, etc. I really sounded like I knew what I was talking about.

My next investment is a soft top, however. The hard top is so heavy I've never been able to ride without it, and I really want to. How much should I pay for a soft top? Is craigslist a good place to look or should I just look around LA? I have a wrangler 2004.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

Hobo Camp posted:

My next investment is a soft top, however. The hard top is so heavy I've never been able to ride without it, and I really want to. How much should I pay for a soft top? Is craigslist a good place to look or should I just look around LA? I have a wrangler 2004.

You should really really REALLY get a bestop. They DO cost, but you can not beat one. You can read forums where people buy steel horse or pavement ends or other brands and have leaking problems. I have NEVER had a bestop leak ever. If you can finds a used one they are generally okay. If you find a used bestop you can always order replacement paers or windows/door kins etc.

bestop supertop or sunrider (sunroof soft top)

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I can't speak for the nicer Bestops, but the Replace-A-Top is absolutely atrocious. Original hardware plus much shittier cloth. I've gone through three in five years with zippers ripping off and getting random tears and holes.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

ManicJason posted:

I can't speak for the nicer Bestops, but the Replace-A-Top is absolutely atrocious. Original hardware plus much shittier cloth. I've gone through three in five years with zippers ripping off and getting random tears and holes.

The Sail-Cloths are always very nice.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

You should really really REALLY get a bestop. They DO cost, but you can not beat one. You can read forums where people buy steel horse or pavement ends or other brands and have leaking problems. I have NEVER had a bestop leak ever. If you can finds a used one they are generally okay. If you find a used bestop you can always order replacement paers or windows/door kins etc.

bestop supertop or sunrider (sunroof soft top)

You know, I've got a Pavement Ends top on my Samurai, and it's pretty decent.

Of course, the Samurai doens't usually get driven in the rain, but when it does it's kept me plenty dry.

Plus I've heard that the Pavement Ends tops are manufactured by (or by the same people) as Bestop, just with a lighter, cheaper fabric.

EDIT: drat, Jeep tops are just about more than twice as expensive as Samurai tops.

n0tqu1tesane fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 16, 2008

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
I just see in jeep forums where there are always what do you think of %cheaper top, and loads of people come in and berate them or posts of I hate this loving goddamn %cheaper top, because of %problem but then again maybe it's the people.

I do not do maintenance on my bestop supertop and it's doing just fine. My only real gripe is the hardware that makes the door surrounds. The hardware uses plastic bits to connect the two pieces and eventually those wear out. For some reason on my old jeep and now on my current jeep the plastic piece is worn out on the passengers side.

This problem could be fixed by using billet or other metal for the piece instead of plastic.

Lucky for me when I bought my top it came with free replacement windows (after 3 years) so I now have new windows for my top. Next season I'll but a new bow assembly and everything will be almost like brand new again.

What I really want is a Halftop, but I don't have the family cage, why they can't make a half top work on the sport bar beats he poo poo out of me. I'm keeping my eye out for a family cage, but at the same time I really like the sport bar style. My back has a giant tuffy box so no one rides there anyway, unless they sit indian style on the box.

ooof, tangent.

rubbersoul
Oct 11, 2007
curse you mop toppers!
Just curious as a prospective Wrangler owner, what kind of gas mileage do you guys get on road/off road? And have (higher) gas prices affected how often you go wheeling, or do you guys just suck it up and have your fun?

Not that terrible gas mileage would really kill me, I drive a '92 Suburban right now and it gets maybe 13 on a lucky day. And even if a Wrangler only gets 13 I'll gladly pay it for the Jeep experience.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

rubbersoul posted:

Just curious as a prospective Wrangler owner, what kind of gas mileage do you guys get on road/off road? And have (higher) gas prices affected how often you go wheeling, or do you guys just suck it up and have your fun?

Not that terrible gas mileage would really kill me, I drive a '92 Suburban right now and it gets maybe 13 on a lucky day. And even if a Wrangler only gets 13 I'll gladly pay it for the Jeep experience.

On an old CJ I used to drive with 35" tires I got about that in mpg. Some people with street tires on the new JK's are claiming 20 mpg, but my friend in his gets about 15-16. Any type of off road vehicle averages around 10-15 mpg.

There's only so much you can get from a 4wd brick.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Did you ever end up buying it? I just spied a stroker.

I picked up a '98 4.0 from a buddy in Greenville for the princely sum of $250. I've got my old engine and tranny out but I've got to put it all back together now... before friday. I'm not looking very forward to it and frankly I'm putting it off as much as possible.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

rubbersoul posted:

carb'd 258 YJ, 3sp auto transmission geared 3.07 hovers around 11mpg. Luckily it is NOT a daily driver.

TJs should be 13-20, but I'd aim low over high.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

It's easy to rationalize your mileage with the fact that you're able to go anywhere you want. At least for me. Give me a few years of $100 a fillup and my story may change.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande
If I didn't have my Civic, I wouldn't have my Jeep anymore (Or at least on the road), as it's pretty painful to drive with gas at $4 a gallon.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

carb'd 258 YJ, 3sp auto transmission geared 3.07 hovers around 11mpg. Luckily it is NOT a daily driver.

TJs should be 13-20, but I'd aim low over high.

I always got around 12mpg in my willys CJ-3A, so it's nice to know things haven't changed that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?
I was supposed to have the new (old and used) engine in ol' Stinkyjeep today, but I found out the hard way that a pilot bearing for a '91 AX15 will not work in a '98 crankshaft, and a '98 pilot bearing won't work either. What the gently caress jeep? The '91 Pilot bearing has an OD of 1.054" and the '98 has an OD of 1.000", I'm gonna make that somebitch fit somehow.