Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
A three-legged woman is better than a headless man.
I'm going to run my first Saturday Night Special tonight. I'm hoping to clear out a few things as my craft room seems to be overflowing. I really need to get to taking some pictures of newer items and get those all listed.

Have any of you taken part in this? How did it work for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

pixel8ed posted:

I'm going to run my first Saturday Night Special tonight. I'm hoping to clear out a few things as my craft room seems to be overflowing. I really need to get to taking some pictures of newer items and get those all listed.

Have any of you taken part in this? How did it work for you?

I know I'm a little late, but heres what I know.

When the thread is posted, you need to reply asap, like you already need to have what you want as your sale in your clipboard. I know the one time I did it, when I clicked reply there was only 1 reply on the thread, I pasted my item, hit the button, and when it refreshed there were 8 pages, and I was at the top of the 3rd page. Within the first 2 minutes there are like 200 replys.

So if you can sit around waiting for that exact second it pops up, so you can be on one of the first few pages, thats probably the best it would get.

like I said, when I did it, I was at the top of page 3, offered free shipping on any order, and no sales. Though this was back when I only had about 20 or so items in my shop...now I have like 90.. =/

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
I ended up top of page 8. I couldn't believe it went that fast. Crazy.

Anyway, no takers on the special. I think I'd try it again because I did get a lot of views and a few hearts on certain items. Maybe closer to the holidays. It's not like it cost me anything to try it so it certainly wouldn't hurt.

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

So you're not that special. Welcome to the human race!
I haven't done an SNS yet but I have heard what helps a lot is participating in the chat thread. It's still not a guarantee, but there will be a second thread for people to just shoot the poo poo during the SNS. You get some more views that way by being active. The main thread is just for your sale notice.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
I posted in there a few times. I guess you really need to keep your Saturday night open so you can spend time in there. Might be a good thing to try out on those stormy winter nights. They always happen on Saturday!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

So, guess who decided to act as the invisible hand (economics ghosts itt) and start a public spreadsheet to do basic market research about what kind of spun and dyed yarn sells well on Etsy? Yep, that's me.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p7tLp_Flo5ZXTfmiG1FqZYQ&hl=en

I'm sure someone will scream at me about trade secrets, but it's just collated publicly available information from public stores. I still haven't gotten much done (I have a lot more on my plate) but it'll help me when/if I decide to list yarn.

FuzzyDunlop
Oct 7, 2003

in ur chest, meltin ur heart

Pile of Kittens posted:

So, guess who decided to act as the invisible hand (economics ghosts itt) and start a public spreadsheet to do basic market research about what kind of spun and dyed yarn sells well on Etsy? Yep, that's me.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p7tLp_Flo5ZXTfmiG1FqZYQ&hl=en

I'm sure someone will scream at me about trade secrets, but it's just collated publicly available information from public stores. I still haven't gotten much done (I have a lot more on my plate) but it'll help me when/if I decide to list yarn.

drat yo! That is awesome. Not that I can figure out any trends from it, unfortunately. It's all a mystery to me...

In other news, I did buy some ad space on Ravelry. It's increased my views but no sales yet from it.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Treasury West has had some sort of glitch and bunches of treasuries opened up. I took the opportunity to create my first one!
http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list_west.php?room_id=16451

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Seriously, I'm trying to read the Etsy forums tonight. There is one seller in particular who has added nothing to any discussion on the entire site and yet just keeps endlessly posting and I want to go through my screen and hers and stab her in the eye. Yeesh.

/End of rant.

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

thecropchick?

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
The one and only.

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

We need some real mods over at Etsy.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
Great treasury pixel8ed! You did much better on your first than I did on mine. :)

There are definitely a few posters in the Etsy forums who subscribe to the more is better theory. Lots of posting = lots of promotion and they don't have anything to say. It's one thing to post a lot and contribute or even mark a thread from time to time, but some go way beyond that. Even in the short time I've been on Etsy, I've noticed those types of posters come and go. I feel spoiled by SA forums where 'great' is not a reply.

Fake edit: How did you all read my mind?

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
This forum has spoiled me when it comes to forums on the internet. I tried getting involved in the forums over on etsy, but it seems like 99% of the people are attention whores.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Rathina posted:

This forum has spoiled me when it comes to forums on the internet. I tried getting involved in the forums over on etsy, but it seems like 99% of the people are attention whores.

God, I know. Even on Ravelry where people generally don't post until they have something to say, it drives me crazy that they make a different reply for every person they're replying to, and the grammar is horrible. Then again, I hang out in ADHD Knitting, so maybe I expect too much!

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Thanks Nrapture! There were some items that I tried to add that couldn't be added for some reason. It was fun to put together though.

I'm sure eventually she'll get tired of posting. I just hope it's sooner rather than later. They really do need some more mods. Even if it's a volunteer team. Some nights it gets ridiculous.

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!

Tobasko posted:

I am slowly but surely getting my etsy shop up and running, and I've already had my first sale!

https://tobasko.etsy.com

how do I go about joining team goon?

I will get you added! Welcome to the team!

Equilibrium did you already request for tobasko to be added?

Ok you all, noone said yes or no to stickers. I think I will just make some stuff and list it in my store at a discount. If you want some then you can buy it. I am thinking stickers first. You can stick them on your outgoing packages and this can get everyone looking at the additional stores.

Mrs. Orgasmo fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 15, 2008

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!
I also snagged a treasury. Only a few goons in this one but still.
http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list_west.php?room_id=16327

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

I hit 5,000 sales today!! I can't believe it, I am incredibly excited. And my birthday is Thursday so there is a lot of celebration this week.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
That is amazing! Congratulations! I was reading about how you go about your day and I honestly don't know how you do it. Do you eventually hope to make soap making your full time job?

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

Yes, but I would have to do 4x as much in sales volume as I do now. When I calculated that out I was completely stunned.

I would have to rent a workspace, too, there is just no way to produce enough at my house.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
Congratulations! Happy Birthday too! :)

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!

altazakin posted:

I hit 5,000 sales today!! I can't believe it, I am incredibly excited. And my birthday is Thursday so there is a lot of celebration this week.

Congrats! I read your post, very inspiring!

FuzzyDunlop
Oct 7, 2003

altazakin posted:

thecropchick?

That bitch is unbelievable.

Congratulations Altazakin!!! How cool is that. I wonder, is there any way to know who has the all-time highest sales on Etsy? I'm curious about just how high that number can go, as well as what would be the best-selling item.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007

RepoRebo posted:

I wonder, is there any way to know who has the all-time highest sales on Etsy? I'm curious about just how high that number can go, as well as what would be the best-selling item.

Welcome to Etsy Wiki, where all your questions have answers. Or at least the best information I am aware of. It is not perfectly accurate. For example, it shows savor as having 5000 sales in the "Top Sellers" section but in the "Top Sellers - Handmade" savor only shows 4000 sales right now.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
"No idea but here's a bump." :commissar:

No, I really do have a reason to post. I got us a new treasury! http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list.php?room_id=57021

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
Yay more treasuries!! And Im finally back at it again. I had some back problems, but they cleared up just in time to go to the 1/2 off sale at Hancock Fabrics. Im having a hard time finding stuff like what everyone mentioned but im still keeping my eyes peeled. Hopefully I will be cranking out bags left and right.

Oh and Happy Birthday! Mine is today so yay for us!

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

Woohoo, happy birthday!!

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Happy birthday to both of you!

Great treaury Nrapture! I like the new feature that they added yesterday. I clicked on a couple of items that were sold and it shows different items that are still available by the same seller at the top of the page. Before it would just have the "This sold out on..." Anyway, it looks good!

FuzzyDunlop
Oct 7, 2003

Nrapture posted:

Welcome to Etsy Wiki, where all your questions have answers. Or at least the best information I am aware of. It is not perfectly accurate. For example, it shows savor as having 5000 sales in the "Top Sellers" section but in the "Top Sellers - Handmade" savor only shows 4000 sales right now.

Awesome, thanks for showing that to me! Love the new treasury too.

Scurvy
Dec 28, 2002

Scurvy fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 12, 2017

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
I'm off to a craft show tomorrow and I hate having to deactivate everything. I hope I have nothing left to reactivate tomorrow evening!

As a side note, I attached the tags that I bought from Mrs. Orgasmo and they look awesome. It really makes everything look more professional. I also got business cards and stickers so I'll sticker the brown paper bags closed with those and hand out the business cards as well. I did realize I need a business card holder. I should have made one of those.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007

pixel8ed posted:

I'm off to a craft show tomorrow and I hate having to deactivate everything. I hope I have nothing left to reactivate tomorrow evening!

How was the show?

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
It was a complete flop. The show was inside, very nice location, but it was too nice outside for people to be in. I think it would be a great venue for a fall show though. In all I didn't even make enough to cover my table fee, but I did do some networking so it wasn't a complete wash.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
Sorry it didn't go better. I don't really have a show-type product so I haven't done one, but that would be one of my fears the night before a show that would keep me up to all hours.

I do have a general if-anyone-is-looking-to-advertise-to-the-geek-girl-audience idea: http://www.projectwonderful.com/advertisehere.php?id=2190 I've been advertising there for about a month and generally $1.00 max bid has me displayed. Average unique clicks have been about 30-40/day for me. I can't be sure since Etsy doesn't track how buyers find shops, but I'm fairly certain I've had a sale or two from it. Now I know that doesn't sound spectacular, but my products have a relatively small niche. I'd guess that someone else who sells finished crafts/art with a slightly wider audience would see more sales. Anyway, just in case anyone was looking for an advertising opportunity, there's one idea.

Right now, I'm waiting for the price to drop on the Craftster.org spots so my new ad can get in. *crosses fingers*

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I've been very busy lately and haven't had much time for this. If anyone would like to take my spot helping Mrs. Orgasmo with the team additions, let one of us know.

ellabella
Jul 21, 2008
I have been on listing some art pieces for my mum. We do different work now, so this is just old stock. She is a full time artist, but new to Etsy, do art shows around N. America.

http://elabela.etsy.com

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Man, I am so mad, this person started copying what I do, using all the same fabrics and then undercutting my prices. I emailed Etsy, but they said I either need to work it out with the seller, or fill out a bunch of paperwork. So I sent them a message telling them to remove all the switch plates that copy my switch plates, will see what they say, otherwise they will feel my internet wrath. UGH.

Mrs. Orgasmo
Jun 6, 2005

Full of SCRAP!

Rathina posted:

Man, I am so mad, this person started copying what I do, using all the same fabrics and then undercutting my prices. I emailed Etsy, but they said I either need to work it out with the seller, or fill out a bunch of paperwork. So I sent them a message telling them to remove all the switch plates that copy my switch plates, will see what they say, otherwise they will feel my internet wrath. UGH.

It sucks! I know first hand as I listed my new notepads and it took my competitor 3 days and she had hers listed. It ticked me off because in her announcement she claims to be unique and original. Ha! this was the third item she had copied me with.

Not much any of us can do either. The seller above had started on etsy before me, so customers may think I copied her. Savor had this happen to her by a large seller that knows better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

It's the copycats that state in their announcement that they are the original, I've found. Blech. I think most shoppers know this.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5950484

My copier has decided to "phase out" her bars of soap and do whipped soap, conveniently just like I do!

"07/28 I decided to take a much needed vacation for the next 7 days or less. During that time I will be checking convo's, emails, sold orders and phasing out most of my soap bars when I return. Soap making is a hobby turned into a passion/part time income however I now have other commitments and no longer have the time for bars however I will be relaunching a new whipped luxury soap jar in a in mouth watering aromas and unscented as they require less time to make and as always my prices will also be very reasonable....All items will remain on sale for the next several days."

Even her packaging is copying me. She's just disgusting.