Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
I bought Ivan's Childhood, The Fire Within, Sisters, Umberto D., Elevator to the Gallows and Solaris.

zandert33 posted:

I'm hoping for "High and Low" to be added as well. I'll get that, and I think I'll finally pick up "Ikiru". I've been meaning to get that one for a while and just haven't.

I never thought of getting High and Low, that's a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exree
Oct 7, 2000

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I bought Ivan's Childhood, The Fire Within, Sisters, Umberto D., Elevator to the Gallows and Solaris.

I never thought of getting High and Low, that's a good idea.

You can have mine if you want to trade. It's the old one with the yellow cover. I've also got Branded to Kill, Kicking and Screaming, and The Life and Death of Col. Blimp to throw around.

I'm looking for Mouchette, Les Dames du Bois de Boulogne, any or all of the Winter Light Trilogy (I'll pay or supplement for that), Renoir, Godard, or anything else that floats your boat.

Exree
Oct 7, 2000
A tip for the buy-one-get-one-free sale. It applies to box sets too, but you have to be careful.

- If you buy a box set for $64 together with a single DVD for $32, DDD takes off the $32, for a total of $64.
- If you buy two box sets for $64 each and two single DVDs for $32, it takes off both $32 discs for a total of $128.
- But if you buy just the two box sets at the same time, that's a total of $64. Then buy the two single discs together for a total of $32. Grand total of $96 instead of $128.

$32 savings! Which coincidentally is the cost of yet another Criterion that comes with yet another free one.

I assume you can apply the discount code twice. If not, maybe open two accounts with two credit cards.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Ah poo poo, I forgot I wanted to buy Tokyo Story. Picked up that and In the Mood for Love.

Running out of shelf space for DVDs....

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Exree posted:

You can have mine if you want to trade. It's the old one with the yellow cover.

I have the old High and Low, I was too lazy to sell it though.

I think it's strange that they still got the aspect ratio wrong. It's not a huge difference and doesn't really bother me, and I'm looking forward to all those new extras.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I have the old High and Low, I was too lazy to sell it though.

I think it's strange that they still got the aspect ratio wrong. It's not a huge difference and doesn't really bother me, and I'm looking forward to all those new extras.

Many DVDs end up exposing a bit too much image on scope films on the sides. High and Low would have been 2.35:1 when it was released. If you want to see a really bad example, check out the old non-anamorphic The Great Escape. 2.66:1 because they exposed the area supposed to be covered by the soundtrack, so it's ridiculously wide and off-center. 16x9 SE corrected this.

However, I'm not entirely sure how the Japanese studios handled this. In the US, 2.55:1 was pretty much dead by 1958 except for the few 70mm Ultra Panavision films like Ben-Hur and It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. Most of these are unnecessarily wide, though. Ben-Hur is 2.76:1 on DVD, but it was usually shown at 2.55:1. In fact, the second wave of 70mm prints were 2.20:1.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
October Criterions:

http://www.criterion.com/asp/coming_soon.asp

Le doulos (1962, Jean-Pierre Melville)
Le deuxieme souffle (1966, Jean-Pierre Melville)
Missing (1982, Costa-Gavras)

Eclipse Series 13: Kenji Mizoguchi's Fallen Women
Osaka Elegy
Sisters of the Gion
Women of the Night
Street of Shame

Also, they will release A Woman Under the Influence and The Killing of a Chinese Bookie separately from the John Cassevettes box set. They're also reducing the MSRP on Short Cuts to $29.98, with the book reprint omitted. No idea why they're only doing two separate releases for the Cassevettes set instead of all of them.

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 16, 2008

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Og Oggilby posted:

October Criterions:

Missing (1982, Costa-Gavras)

Osaka Elegy
Sisters of the Gion
Women of the Night
Street of Shame

Also, they will release A Woman Under the Influence and The Killing of a Chinese Bookie separately from the John Cassevettes box set. They're also reducing the MSRP on Short Cuts to $29.98, with the book reprint omitted. No idea why they're only doing two separate releases for the Cassevettes set instead of all of them.

I don't get too crazy about Melville, but of course I'll rent them. I have yet to see a Costa-Gavras film (Z is coming up in my Netflix queue, though).

The big news for me is the Mizoguchi box. I've seen Sisters of the Gion and Street of Shame, and while they're not among my favorite Mizoguchis, I'll buy the box anyway. Looking forward to the other two movies. Leaving out The Life of Oharu and A Geisha is a drat shame, but I have to believe that Oharu will be on the Criterion line at some point.

If someone had told me they were going to release two from Cassavetes box, I would have guessed A Woman Under the Influence and Faces.

And where's the info on the Blu-Rays? Bah!

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 16, 2008

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Two more Melville's. I just squealed.

FitFortDanga posted:

And where's the info on the Blu-Rays? Bah!

Man, you said it. I was definitely expecting to see something in this months release about them.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

I don't get too crazy about Melville, but of course I'll rent them. I have yet to see a Costa-Gavras film (Z is coming up in my Netflix queue, though).

I really wish Z was Criterion. The Fox Lorber DVD is out of print and it was a PAL conversion with ghosting.

Awesome, awesome film.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Having just recently watched Army of Shadows (along with 3 other Criterions I ordered during the 20% off sale, goddamn them for tempting me again) any more Melville is a good thing. And the Missing cover art is pretty cool. Is Costa-Gavras one name or two?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

That's a great month, I've only seen two Costa-Gravas films and they're both fantastic( I hope there are more to come), more Melville is always good and I'd like to see more Mizoguchi.

Cacator posted:

Is Costa-Gravas one name or two?

It's his last name.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Og Oggilby posted:

October Criterions:

Well, I just came.

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich
I'll be buying Missing the day it comes out. Hopefully on blu-ray.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Og Oggilby posted:

Osaka Elegy
Sisters of the Gion
Women of the Night
Street of Shame

Damnit, I just HAD to import the Masters of Cinema "Street of Shame" DVD, didn't I?

None of the other movies in the series are really jumping out at me though, so I'm unsure if this is going to be a buy or not for me. Most likely not, since the Masters of Cinema set is pretty nice.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

I have a feeling I'm going to be spending way too much on the buy one get one free deal. After round one, I've picked up A Nos Amours, Army of Shadows, The Furies, Les Enfants Terribles, Mon Oncle Antoine, Mouchette, The Thief of Baghdad and This Sporting Life. I'm sure I'll be back for more later this week when I finally talk myself into a couple of the boxed sets.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I've never heard of this movie (or even the director), but the folks at criterionforum.org are exceedingly confident that this means Fanfan la Tulipe.

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich

FitFortDanga posted:

I've never heard of this movie (or even the director), but the folks at criterionforum.org are exceedingly confident that this means Fanfan la Tulipe.

It's a pretty standard adventure film, just french. Not quite as good an announcemount as Missing was a couple days ago.

Joe-Bob
May 12, 2005

GO BIG RED
College Slice
I just bought Early Summer and Tokyo Story for $16 a pop, thanks for the heads-up!

They're both out of stock, thanks to this sale I imagine, so who knows when I'll actually get them. They were pretty good about getting the Ozu I bought during the last sale in stock quickly, hope they do it again.

Mack the Knife
Feb 8, 2004

would you like to buy a monkey?
I got Thief og Bagdad and all the JAcques Tati films for like $17 each. not bad.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Arghh... I am no match for sales: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Gimme Shelter, The Last Temptation of Christ, and Monty Python's Life of Brian. Yeah I know Gimme Shelter is due on BluRay but I figured for free I'll bite the bullet. Life and Tempation were two I've always been meaning to pickup. Vegas is a movie I like.

I feel poor and I only was drained of $64. :(

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm thinking about using this sale as a chance to get into world (non-anglophone) cinema, which I haven't really done that much of. Are there any Bergman films that are a good place for a neophyte to start with? Similarly, would it be a good idea to make 8 1/2 my first taste of Fellini? I know these are personal questions that I'll have to answer myself, but I'm curious to hear others' opinions should strong ones exist.

CrashMan
Mar 23, 2005

by Fragmaster
8 1/2 probably isn't a good Fellini to start with. It's not terribly inaccessible, but it's just a touch on the dense side. If that doesn't intimidate you, than by all means (8 1/2 was both my first Fellini and my first "important foreign film," and I enjoyed it), but I would recommend something from his neo-realist period, such as Nights of Cabiria or La Strada. Just keep in mind that those movies aren't exactly what people mean when they say "Felliniesque."

As for Bergman, The Seventh Seal is probably the ideal introduction, but I've never been too fond of it personally. My first Bergman was Cries and Whispers, and it remains my favorite to this day.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

LaptopGun posted:

Arghh... I am no match for sales: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Gimme Shelter, The Last Temptation of Christ, and Monty Python's Life of Brian. Yeah I know Gimme Shelter is due on BluRay

Did you know Life of Brian is ALREADY on Blu-Ray? It's got most of the features from the Criterion, plus more that's not on there.

Jack Gladney posted:

I'm thinking about using this sale as a chance to get into world (non-anglophone) cinema, which I haven't really done that much of. Are there any Bergman films that are a good place for a neophyte to start with? Similarly, would it be a good idea to make 8 1/2 my first taste of Fellini? I know these are personal questions that I'll have to answer myself, but I'm curious to hear others' opinions should strong ones exist.

If you really wanted to take a chance with Bergman, you could get the "Four Masterworks" set, which includes 4 films. It includes The Seventh Seal, which is the typical starting point (and isn't available separately in the sale).

As for Fellini, I like Nights of Cabiria best, and it's more easily accessible.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Well I caved after reading about how you guys have taken advantage of the sale.

I bought Carnival of Souls, Ace in the Hole, My Own Private Idaho, Stranger Than Paradise , Green for Danger, and Two Lane Black Top

And now I'm poor again.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

CrashMan posted:

As for Bergman, The Seventh Seal is probably the ideal introduction, but I've never been too fond of it personally. My first Bergman was Cries and Whispers, and it remains my favorite to this day.

I actually started with Autumn Sonata, which I think is his most "typical" work (in that it's basically what you'd expect from a Bergman film, which actually irritated Bergman himself), and it's a pretty good introduction, I think, even if it's sort of mediocre in comparison to his other films. Then you can work your way back through his 60s films (eg, Persona) to the 50s films (The Seventh Seal). The difference between his 50s films and his 70s films is really jarring, and it really depends on where you start. Apparently all his 40s stuff is absolute crap, but I've never seen any of it.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
I caved. I held out for, what, a week, but I caved. I'm actually completely out of room on my shelf, too. :(

I got Sword of Doom, If..., Equinox, Sansho, Symbiopsychotaxiplasm, Diary of a Chambermaid, The River, and, the only one of these I've actually seen, That Obscure Object of Desire. Eight Criterions for $120. drat good show.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I Am Awful posted:

If...
It's actually If.... which always bugs me because I can't figure out why they wouldn't just do the standard ellipsis with three periods.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Akuma posted:

It's actually If.... which always bugs me because I can't figure out why they wouldn't just do the standard ellipsis with three periods.

It's only three periods if it comes in the middle of a sentence. It's four periods at the end of sentence.

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite
Thanks a lot, picked up the Monsters and Madmen box set and the Olivier's Shakespeare box set. This was pretty much a blind buy since I've only seen Richard III, so hopefully I'll enjoy all the films.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Exree posted:

You can have mine if you want to trade. It's the old one with the yellow cover. I've also got Branded to Kill, Kicking and Screaming, and The Life and Death of Col. Blimp to throw around.

I'm looking for Mouchette, Les Dames du Bois de Boulogne, any or all of the Winter Light Trilogy (I'll pay or supplement for that), Renoir, Godard, or anything else that floats your boat.

Hey, I just realized I have a copy of Boudu Saved from Drowning I'm trying to get rid of, and I'd love to trade it for Life and Death of Colonel Blimp. Does that work for you?

For anyone else out there, I'm also trying to get rid of my Haxan, my Mr. Arkadin, and/or my My Dinner With Andre (though it's not a Criterion, I figure someone in here would be interested). I'm looking for some Bunuel, Godard, or Trafic if someone bought it and didn't like it or some such thing.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

FitFortDanga posted:

It's only three periods if it comes in the middle of a sentence. It's four periods at the end of sentence.
Oh, interesting! I did not know this. Thanks for the correction!

Whatever happened to the essays on the Criterion website? I've never owned any of the DVDs for the ones that I actually read, so I'm assuming that they decided to just keep them for the liner notes as a bit more of an incentive for buying. But still, I miss being able to rent one and then read the essay afterwards.

I know this question might be irritating because I'm sure it's been asked before, but I've just decided to finally sample some Ozu, and just watched (and loved) Tokyo Story; what should I try next? Or rather, how much did his style vary over the years? If I like Tokyo Story, am I likely to enjoy his later work?

I could just find out for myself by watching them all, of course, but I always enjoy reading the opinions of people in this thread. I don't think I've ever been steered wrong.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
Over the last two months, I bought:

The Battle of Algiers
The Naked City
Naked
Alexander Nevsky and Ivan the Terrible (Eisenstein's Sound Years)
The Wages of Fear
The Furies
Hearts and Minds
Viridiana
The Phantom of Liberty
Days of Heaven
Ran (Finally replacing the lovely Fox Lorber version)
Walker
Blast of Silence

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Update. DeepDiscount shipped one of my 4 backordered Criterions- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. That should be a good sign for us wondering how long it will take for them to replenish their stocks. Who cares if it's 4 separate shipments since they are paying for it!

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
From a poster at DVDTalk(whose content I post more than my own):

"
Shock Corridor and The Naked Kiss are being remastered and will be solicited along with the previously unreleased Fuller film White Dog in December. Sweet month if your a Fuller fan. The December release date came from an individual who attended a White Dog screening in Los Angeles, but the confirmation about the rereleases of these two films and a dvd for White Dog has come from Criterion themselves."

RaydaArab
Dec 25, 2004

by DocEvil
They just shipped 4 of my DVDs (one of which was in stock when I bought it). I am going to make another purchase now.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

ThetaOmnikron posted:

From a poster at DVDTalk(whose content I post more than my own):

"
Shock Corridor and The Naked Kiss are being remastered and will be solicited along with the previously unreleased Fuller film White Dog in December.

I'll have to get that "Naked Kiss" so I can complete my Criterion Naked collection.

I already have "The Naked City," "Naked," "The Naked Prey" and "Naked Lunch." Along with "Naked Gun," that's a hell of a collection of naked movies.

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite

RaydaArab posted:

They just shipped 4 of my DVDs (one of which was in stock when I bought it). I am going to make another purchase now.

Yeah, I just got my Monsters and Madmen box (it was out of stock when I ordered it) and my Olivier box set was shipped yesterday (also out of stock when ordered).

Exree
Oct 7, 2000

I Am Awful posted:

Hey, I just realized I have a copy of Boudu Saved from Drowning I'm trying to get rid of, and I'd love to trade it for Life and Death of Colonel Blimp. Does that work for you?

Sadly I want none of your Boudu but PM me if you've got anything else in the hopper cause I have no use for these DVDs.

DDD finally got to me, though. I picked up the Bergman trilogy (Glass Darkly, Silence, and Winter Light) along with the Dreyer box. Two for one box sets, that's nice.

Now I'm trying to think of something that would accompany Dreyer's Joan of Arc....

*grammar in this post learned from this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
http://www.criterionforum.org/dvd_review.php?dvd_id=477

Looks like Brand Upon the Brain! does have eight narration tracks, including Crispin Glover.