Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Mike_V posted:

Sorry. Return to your discussion about SM/RBF/LTJ/Big D for 20 pages.

Fateo, do you notice that the Murphys shows seem to be getting less and less fun? There are just too many people there the last show I went to and it was impossible to get an actual pit going.

While I do agree that the big shows are less fun then the smaller ones, there was no problem getting a pit going. There were 2-3 pits going during their set almost all the time. Now bear in mind this was an outdoor show at the baseball park so the "floor" area was huge and it fit maybe 1,500 people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeatherPants
Feb 24, 2007
'wicked' is an adverb too

Mike_V posted:

Let's not get carried away in calling the Toasters real ska. I love them, but they firmly owe their influences to Two-Tone and were at the vanguard of the rising US ska movement in the late 80s.

Slackers rule, though.

I was just naming bands that were third-wave but you know.. not pop-punk with horns (let's add The Scofflaws to that short list as well).

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Just got back from seeing the Bosstones. They were amazing. Played a ton of songs from their entire library. No "Hope I Never Lose My Wallet" though :(. As they played the last note of their song the banner they had in the back dropped to reveal a banner of Obama with the word "Dream" under it. All pretty badass.

That was incredibly cheesy, I was in disbelief really. I hate when non-political bands do things like that; it's really awkward. They played "Dr. D" and that's all I ever really want (they didn't play it for 2 of the Throwdown shows I went to! shocking and disappointing).
Everyone on the floor was a complete rear end in a top hat. DKM fans are such jerks, I don't enjoy being surrounded by idiot fratboys who start fights in crowds and think the pit is there for you to cause harm to others. People weren't even picking eachother up when they fell down!
I did dance a lot during the Bosstones and so that was fun, the Throwdown was a lot more fun and I'm glad I got to see them then (smaller venue = more fun). I don't think I'll try and see DKM in Massachusetts/New England again, especially at such a big event. Maybe if they play in Kansas or something sometime and I happen to be in the area...

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Chipyy posted:

Yeah, god forbid we have a discussion about ska on this thread, of all places, jesus. Everyone go back to talking about the same three bands, nothing to see here.

There's nothing wrong with a discussion about ska. It's the people who are like "Man third wave is so much better than trad ska" or "Third wave loving sucks" that take away from the thread.

Come on people, we should be above that!

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Thornes posted:

There's nothing wrong with a discussion about ska. It's the people who are like "Man third wave is so much better than trad ska" or "Third wave loving sucks" that take away from the thread.

Come on people, we should be above that!

No one was really saying that though :confused: I was just discussing the influences of the Toasters because I misunderstood what Featherpants meant.

Also, FP, the last show I went to was in STL at the Pageant and it was pretty awful (well, compared to the last time I had seen them at Mississippi Nights RIP). I much prefer to go to Street Dogs shows over DKM ones now because there are less douchebags and more people who are there to go crazy.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Chipyy posted:

Yeah, god forbid we have a discussion about ska on this thread, of all places, jesus. Everyone go back to talking about the same three bands, nothing to see here.
Just trying to follow the guidelines from the OP.

lessthankyle posted:

Why does [Band X] suck so much, they aren't ska!
Let's keep this poo poo out of this thread, it's dumb and has a tendency to turn every ska discussion to poo poo. If you don't think a band is ska, it doesn't matter, just don't listen to them. They most likely are ska influenced, played ska at one time, or aren't all that good (but they're trying, and we need all we can get). Unless people start proclaiming Radiohead as gods of ska, we shouldn't have a problem.

Again: Absolutely DO NOT turn this thread into a shitstorm of "This band isn't ska!/Ska-core sucks!/Wah Wah Wah!"
Just remember, ska is the Byob of music. Not as elitist as punk, not as widely accepted as rock. We're just here to chill out and have a good time.

This OP will be a work in progress, so keep an eye for updates and changes.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Did I really say ska was the BYOB of music? How did I get away with that?

Anyways, anyone going to Less Than Jake in Poughkeepsie tomorrow? I'm still trying to rally some friends to go, it's a two hour hike from Brooklyn, but I think it's going to be worth it. And besides, BTMI is going to be there, that's like two for one.

Blocko
Jul 12, 2008

Spoiler alert: Blood Ravens are actually Hiigarans who got sucked into the warp, were sent back in time to fight in WWII against the Panzer Elite, then stole a nazi time machine to go into the future and save mankind from an army of Lobster-Elephants and other impossible creatures.

Rated R.
I don't know if anybody has mentioned them yet, but I'm going to reccomend Sonic Boom Six.

They're from Manchester, UK and their music is a strange mix of ska/reggae/ragga/durm and bass/and hip hop. Give their stuff a listen almost every song of theirs is completely unlike any other song they've done before it, and though some of it does sound over-produced and a little pop-punkish at times overall they're a pretty slick group.

Here's a post about a show they did with the Hub City Stompers, and the Flaming Tsunami's

http://midwesternhousewives.blogspot.com/2008/03/flaming-tsunamis-hub-city-stompers.html

Blocko fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 12, 2008

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I do agree that the "bros" at the DKM shows are horrible. I've been elbowed enough times in the past two nights to last a life time. I managed to grab a setlist from the Bosstones though and a plaid scally cap, so all is good.

Bosstones set for Friday:
Noise Brigade
Hope I Never Lose My Wallet
The Rascal King
Where'd You Go?
Illegal Left
Simmer Down
He's Back
Katie
Someday I Suppose
Dr. D
Everybody's Better
Rudie Can't Fail
Old School Off The Bright
Royal Oil
Let Me Be
Hell of a Hat
I'll Drink To That
1-2-8
Desmond Dekker
Cowboy Coffee
Holy Smoke
The Impression That I Get
The Impossible Dream

Dicky said they were gonna vary the set each night for the people coming to all 3 shows. :)

edit: And if the Bosstones set consisted of Hell of a Hat, Hope I Never Lose My Wallet, and Dr. D I would be forever happy.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 12, 2008

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

FateoMcSkippy posted:

While I do agree that the big shows are less fun then the smaller ones, there was no problem getting a pit going. There were 2-3 pits going during their set almost all the time. Now bear in mind this was an outdoor show at the baseball park so the "floor" area was huge and it fit maybe 1,500 people.
The Bosstones sounded amazing, though I wish they played more old stuff. I had tons of fun in the pits.

Edit: gently caress the Dropkick Murphys.

Dopo fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 12, 2008

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

FeatherPants posted:

That was incredibly cheesy, I was in disbelief really. I hate when non-political bands do things like that; it's really awkward.

If you don't think the Bosstones are political, you're not listening to the lyrics.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

guppy posted:

Just trying to follow the guidelines from the OP.

I see your point, but no-one was really saying "gently caress them, they're not ska". I don't think a bit of discussion over what makes the sound really does any harm. I may have said those bands are more like punk with horns to me but I wasn't dissing them. They're great, used to be some of my favourite bands, and I'll happily still refer to them as ska bands, I'm not being a snob about it. But you must admit this thread has been a little one dimensional.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Chipyy posted:

I see your point, but no-one was really saying "gently caress them, they're not ska". I don't think a bit of discussion over what makes the sound really does any harm. I may have said those bands are more like punk with horns to me but I wasn't dissing them. They're great, used to be some of my favourite bands, and I'll happily still refer to them as ska bands, I'm not being a snob about it. But you must admit this thread has been a little one dimensional.

Were you the guy who was in that throwback band? Your band was pretty good from what I remember.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah, that's me. I'm in a two-tone band and a 3rd wave band. Actually, the after 3/4 years of hard work and finally getting a deal with Do The Dog, The Lockup now seems to be in its death throes. Band members have moved to stupid parts of the country and started acting like divas, people aren't pulling their weight, and there were basically two or three of us doing all the work and driving and paying for stuff, so it was getting a little bit painful. We're going to go back to like 3 core members and take it from there. We're all pretty :smith: about it.

But if anyone fancies bumping us on the sixty one we're at http://www.thesixtyone.com/thelockup :unsmith:

FeatherPants
Feb 24, 2007
'wicked' is an adverb too

Dopo posted:

If you don't think the Bosstones are political, you're not listening to the lyrics.

They don't present themselves as a political band so they should leave it to subtlety.

Mike_V posted:

Also, FP, the last show I went to was in STL at the Pageant and it was pretty awful (well, compared to the last time I had seen them at Mississippi Nights RIP). I much prefer to go to Street Dogs shows over DKM ones now because there are less douchebags and more people who are there to go crazy.

Thanks for the extra info, Street Dogs have never let me down. I think I'll give up on DKM completely, their tickets are always overpriced anyway.

FeatherPants fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 12, 2008

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Dopo posted:

Which songs would that be?

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

TLG James posted:

The big one that comes to mind is the recent "This List". After John McCain's comments about staying in Iraq for 100 years if necessary, its easy to see why they support Obama.

Then there are a lot more that make more social than political comments, but they all fit into the same general critique of our culture in my opinion. Issues like gun violence, drug abuse, and alcoholism come to mind. The explicit show of support for a candidate is a new direction for them as far as I know however.

Dopo fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 13, 2008

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

TLG James posted:

Riot on Broad Street, The Skeleton Song, Desensitized - Well, these are just guesses anyway based on the lyrics. I guess we'll have to wait for Dopo's answer.

edit nevermind

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Dopo posted:

The big one that comes to mind is the recent "This List". After John McCain's comments about staying in Iraq for 100 years if necessary, its easy to see why they support Obama.

Then there a lot more that make more social than political comments, but they all fit into the same general critique of our culture in my opinion. Issues like gun violence, drug abuse, and alcoholism come to mind. The explicit show of support for a candidate is a new direction for them as far as I know however.

So... one song? The rest seems like songs that a lot of non-political bands have talked about.

The R.X. bandits, they are not.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The Obama banner is no worse than bands with "gently caress bush" (seems like now-a-days every band has one) songs. And "Where'd You Go?" has been confirmed to be in Rock Band 2. gently caress yes they picked an awesome Bosstones song and not The Impression That I Get.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
So for the past week and a half the Starbucks by my work has had a little CD shelf for a "One Step Beyond" compilation CD, but I haven't seen a single drat CD in it. Anyone else noticed this? I haven't gotten a chance to so much look at the cover so I don't know if it's the same One Step Beyond comp CD I've seen on amazon. I assume it's probably this one.

Also, I added some of the releases I could think of to the OP. I'm gonna start tidying it up a bit. If I missed one, let me know. (I'm very certain I did)

Hawkstein
Sep 30, 2006

And if I can't see it's for want of you.
I figure I should ask before I do it: Is it OK If I plug my band's tour in this thread?

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.

lessthankyle posted:

So for the past week and a half the Starbucks by my work has had a little CD shelf for a "One Step Beyond" compilation CD, but I haven't seen a single drat CD in it. Anyone else noticed this? I haven't gotten a chance to so much look at the cover so I don't know if it's the same One Step Beyond comp CD I've seen on amazon. I assume it's probably this one.

Also, I added some of the releases I could think of to the OP. I'm gonna start tidying it up a bit. If I missed one, let me know. (I'm very certain I did)

They've had it in the Starbucks here for a while and I almost bought it. It's a lot of Specials/Madness stuff with some older Desmond Dekker era stuff thrown in.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Hawkstein posted:

I figure I should ask before I do it: Is it OK If I plug my band's tour in this thread?

Yeah sure go right ahead. Gimmie some ska to listen to.

amateur economist
Nov 12, 2007

by Ozmaugh
So the Pentimento music site is launching later today. It's not public, but it looks like there is indeed some stuff going on with it if you simply go to the index.php

http://www.pentimentomusic.com/index.php

Dan Potthast, BOTAR, The Stitch Up look like they will all be represented by Pentimento, and maybe SLM once they get a third album out (Keasbey Nights didn't count against their contract, from what I understand)

Hawkstein
Sep 30, 2006

Ok, well, my band The Risk (https://www.myspace.com/theriskska) is going on tour from July 20th-August 3rd. If you're in the area during one of our shows, we would all really appreciate it if you came to check us out. Hell, I would appreciate it if you even took the time to listen to our myspace.
As a side note, the recordings on our myspace are 1-2 years old, before I was in the band. So some things are different. We just recorded a CD so we should have new songs on the myspace relatively soon. Or maybe not.
ANYWAY, tour dates:

Jul 20 2008 7:00P
DDC Space (Dayton, Ohio)

Jul 21 2008 6:00P
The Longbranch Saloon (Knoxville, Tennessee)

Jul 22 2008 6:00P
Crack Soup (Charlotte, North Carolina)

Jul 23 2008 8:00P
The Sidebar Tavern (Baltimore, Maryland)

Jul 25 2008 8:00P
Bil-Doe’s (not sure., New Jersey)

Jul 26 2008 11:00A
Dickenson Park Skate Jam (Newtown, Connecticut)

Jul 27 2008 7:00P
Thirsty John’s (Palmer, Massachusetts)

Jul 29 2008 6:00P
The American Legion Stephen Sikora Post 1322 (North Tonawanda, New York)

Jul 30 2008 8:00P
Garfield Artworks (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)

Jul 31 2008 8:00P
B.E. Henry Building (Marshall, Michigan)

Aug 1 2008 8:00P
Berlin (Fort Wayne, Indiana)

Aug 2 2008 7:00P
Skelletones (Grand Rapids, Michigan)

Aug 3 2008 6:00P
Sonic Portrait Showcase (Morris, Illinois)

Also, Here is the band we are touring with: https://www.myspace.com/thenewurbansprawl
Thanks for checking us out!

Midget Gems
Dec 31, 2007
I hear they have the internet on computers these days
:neckbeard: Just booked London streetlight tickets, any other UK goons going to that show?

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Hawkstein posted:

Jul 25 2008 8:00P
Bil-Doe’s (not sure., New Jersey)

What's the deal for this date? It's the one I could possibly go to.

Hawkstein
Sep 30, 2006

lessthankyle posted:

What's the deal for this date? It's the one I could possibly go to.

Just looked it up, apparently it's in Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey. 7 rivercrest drive. Also, it's free and it's at 5, not 8. If you can come, that would be great.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

amateur economist posted:

So the Pentimento music site is launching later today. It's not public, but it looks like there is indeed some stuff going on with it if you simply go to the index.php

http://www.pentimentomusic.com/index.php

Dan Potthast, BOTAR, The Stitch Up look like they will all be represented by Pentimento, and maybe SLM once they get a third album out (Keasbey Nights didn't count against their contract, from what I understand)

That's pretty cool. And I checked the store, as I hadn't in a while. Holy poo poo, new screen printed posters. I've already got the brunette print framed and hanging in my living room and it looks fantastic. I just picked up the 3 smaller prints, which are each only $8! But they do kind of rape you on shipping.

I also wanted to pop in to share my excitement on the Bosstones being in Rock Band 2.

JamesJBuffalkill
Sep 14, 2004
A Textbook for an SA Account. I'm Sold!
Was at the Bosstones / Dropkick show at Starland (holy shnikies was that bus situation retarded). Anyway, if anyone else was there, did you happen to write down a set list? I know it's a dumb request, but I'd like to put it together for a friend that couldn't make it to the show and I forgot to write it down at the show.

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?
I gotta ask, was anyone else disappointed by the Bosstones when they came around? I saw them in LA back in March, and I just wasn't really impressed. I'm just as big a Bosstones fan as the next guy, and I'm not one to stand back and watch the band, so I was giving it my all dancing-wise, but for some reason I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it's the fact that my favorite album by theirs is Question The Answers, so I was expecting somewhat of a more crazy punk-over-ska situation that never really materialized. They just felt too...produced for me. I was never lucky enough to see them before they went on the indefinite hiatus, so maybe they've always been like this?

Another thing, I was easily in the top 1% age-wise. I'm only 20 freaking years old, I'm not supposed to be stared at like the creepy old guy. Granted I have a beard, but still. What the hell? Am I just too old for ska shows now? I just wanted to dance... :confused:

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

gerfatty posted:

Another thing, I was easily in the top 1% age-wise. I'm only 20 freaking years old, I'm not supposed to be stared at like the creepy old guy. Granted I have a beard, but still. What the hell? Am I just too old for ska shows now? I just wanted to dance... :confused:

You need to blend in with the youngins! Shave your beard and dress the age of your average high schooler.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

gerfatty posted:

I gotta ask, was anyone else disappointed by the Bosstones when they came around? I saw them in LA back in March, and I just wasn't really impressed. I'm just as big a Bosstones fan as the next guy, and I'm not one to stand back and watch the band, so I was giving it my all dancing-wise, but for some reason I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it's the fact that my favorite album by theirs is Question The Answers, so I was expecting somewhat of a more crazy punk-over-ska situation that never really materialized. They just felt too...produced for me. I was never lucky enough to see them before they went on the indefinite hiatus, so maybe they've always been like this?

They are amazing out in the New England area. Seen people of all ages at the new shows. I'd just say you were unlucky. They played a fair number of songs off Question The Answers last time I saw them. Kinder Words, Hell Of A Hat, Toxic Toast, and Dogs And Chaplains.

JamesJBuffalkill
Sep 14, 2004
A Textbook for an SA Account. I'm Sold!

gerfatty posted:

Who were they playing with? At the MMB/DKM show the average age had to be mid-late 20s for that crowd.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah, the Murphys made the crowd average older. Ska generally skews young, though.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

guppy posted:

Yeah, the Murphys made the crowd average older. Ska generally skews young, though.

Ska yes, but the Bosstones? After not touring for so long you think there would be much more old fans coming to the shows than new younger fans.

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Ska yes, but the Bosstones? After not touring for so long you think there would be much more old fans coming to the shows than new younger fans.

Yeah I don't really know what the deal was. That's what I was expecting as well, not so much the typical high school ska crowd. I'm just lamenting the fact that apparently I'm officially too old to be into ska.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

gerfatty posted:

Yeah I don't really know what the deal was. That's what I was expecting as well, not so much the typical high school ska crowd. I'm just lamenting the fact that apparently I'm officially too old to be into ska.

The age that Ben Carr is when he stops dancing on stage is the age that, when reached, you will be "too old for ska". Not a second before.

Calavera
May 12, 2008

god's way of telling you no.

gerfatty posted:

It's okay, I started feeling too old when I was 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007

FateoMcSkippy posted:

The age that Ben Carr is when he stops dancing on stage is the age that, when reached, you will be "too old for ska". Not a second before.

Well, then I'm not too old. I still dance like complete fool.