Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taymar
Oct 11, 2007
I'm an idiot and need to ask this question again because I left out a critical fact.

Looking at vacuum bleeders for a complete brake fluid flush - Are there any larger capacity manual pump ones, or is a compressed air one necessary? I now see that all the hand pump types I've found only hold a few fluid oz of brake fluid, plenty for bleeding but probably nowhere near enough to flush the system. The compressed air systems seem to have a much bigger capacity. I'd also prefer to use a vacuum than a pressure system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran

ChiliMac posted:

I can't argue with you because I don't have one but even a Dremel lacks oomph--you are supposed to use very light pressure. The fact that it uses 12 volts doesn't really tell you anything though (cordless Dremels obviously use less than that and do fine).

That said, I'm sure it's a piece of poo poo--but it's an 8 dollar piece of poo poo with enough accessories to soak up your blood if it does happen to explode in your hand (at least, compared to Dremel accessory prices).

I've owned several Dremels of various stripes in the past, and they all blow this little toy away. The new cordless Dremels look like they have some serious power, but I assure you, this one does not. The cut-off wheels bog down when they meet the slightest resistance.

Buy the HF accessory kit by all means. But splurge the $20 on the corded rotary tool.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

jailbait#3 posted:

I've owned several Dremels of various stripes in the past, and they all blow this little toy away. The new cordless Dremels look like they have some serious power, but I assure you, this one does not. The cut-off wheels bog down when they meet the slightest resistance.

Buy the HF accessory kit by all means. But splurge the $20 on the corded rotary tool.

The coupon [and site] depicted a corded rotary tool but your point is taken. I personally use a decade old Dremel MultiPro that I got as a gift and it's still running fine.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I checked at Home Depot today and no on sale or anything a Black and Decker dremel was $35 and an actual Dremel tool was like 50 or 60. Frankly I'd save up for the $35 one or check around at pawn shops.

EDIT:
I checked around online, Amazon has them for $32 and Target sells them for $29.99 which appears to be the lowest price.

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 12, 2008

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Taymar posted:

I'm an idiot and need to ask this question again because I left out a critical fact.

Looking at vacuum bleeders for a complete brake fluid flush - Are there any larger capacity manual pump ones, or is a compressed air one necessary? I now see that all the hand pump types I've found only hold a few fluid oz of brake fluid, plenty for bleeding but probably nowhere near enough to flush the system. The compressed air systems seem to have a much bigger capacity. I'd also prefer to use a vacuum than a pressure system.
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/vac180051.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I played with my HF dremel thingee and it works great! I cut off 10 screws and ground some rust off my Celica, works like a dream!

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I guess I will give it a try then. Living 4 miles or less from a HF has its perks :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RealKyleH posted:

I guess I will give it a try then. Living 4 miles or less from a HF has its perks :)

I'm about 3 miles from mine and in 2 weeks I'm moving less than a mile away.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
I have a request - I'm looking for a tool to cut irregular shapes out of an ABS air box for a project I'm starting. I can't use a jigsaw because very little of it is flat enough for the base to sit on and a Dremel would probably clog from the melting plastic.
Any suggestions?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
You can try one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-542D-Carbide-Cutting-Shaping/dp/B0000302ZZ

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Bought one of the $7 harbor freight rotary tools today and did some testing with it.

The first thing I tried was using it to polish aluminum. It did a good job of this and its small size allowed me to easily get it around the inside of holes.

Next I tried sanding the chatter out of some aluminum. It did a good job with this too and made quick work of it. For both polishing and sanding it does ok because you use very light pressure.

Next I tried to use the included drill bits to drill with it. I used a center punch on a piece of 6061-T6 aluminum to make a pilot hole, then used the drill bit to drill with it. It would not drill past the tip of the drill bit. It is completely useless as a drill even on soft metals like aluminum.

Lastly I decided to try the cutoff wheel. I put a small (between 1/8 and 1/4" OD) stainless steel screw in my vise and tried to cut it off. It took forever and required very light pressure but it eventually did it. To put in perspective how long it took, the screw was not particularly hot when I finished.

Verdict: If you only need a tool for very light sanding and polishing of holes and small surfaces, this is not a bad buy for $7. HOWEVER If you will EVER even one time need it to do what a normal Dremel can do, it will likely not work. If you need a Dremel, buy a Dremel. Don't waste $7 on this. Maybe that black and decker one would work too I don't know. But for $35 brand new its probably worth it to save your pennies.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005
FUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKKKK!!!

GOD DAMNIT!!!!!!

poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo.

So I am an idiot and sometimes leave my tools (Basically a complete metric and std set of Craftsman, with some HF stuff, screwdrivers, multimeter, various vice-grips, etc.) in my truck, locked with a bike lock.

There has never been a problem before, I live in a nice area. Today I drove to work and.... Not in the bed.

So, I just got ganked. $300 worth of tools, probably. God Damnit. It may not seem like a lot of money but it was literally every single tool I own. I make my money during the summer with these tools and I can't afford to go out and replace them all. I don't know what I am going to do. I'm in the middle of the project that I have to get finished before I move, I have work that I have to get done at work THIS WEEK. I was hoping to work more the week after next to make money to get me through to my first real teaching paycheck. gently caress gently caress gently caress. I swear to christ if I find the person who stole them I will loving kill them with my bare hands.

Not really, I have a screw/nut driver (WITHOUT THE BITS), a drill, and an impact screwdriver at work still. All of those are cheap though.

Needless to say, I am about to go out to price a full mechanic's tool set that has everything I lost (I think a set is going to be the cheapest way to go). I'm hearing a lot of bad stuff about Craftsman quality and warranty going downhill. I've heard good things about Kobalt from Lowes. GAHHHH. I'm trying to calculate what I'm going to get paid tomorrow and maybe my boss will advance me my paycheck (cash) today so I can go buy some tools.

I will NEVER have my tools stolen again, I will tell you that. From now on they will be kept in a big roll-away style cabinet either locked in my apartment or in a locked garage.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Check craigslist and start trolling garage sales. You can find complete or mostly complete tool sets for much cheaper than buying new. Bonus points if you can find old(pre-90s) craftsman, snap-on, mac, etc.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

oxbrain posted:

Check craigslist and start trolling garage sales. You can find complete or mostly complete tool sets for much cheaper than buying new. Bonus points if you can find old(pre-90s) craftsman, snap-on, mac, etc.

Yeah. I am going to check Craigs. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to "shop", I kinda need tools.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

oxbrain posted:

2nding this. I just picked up a set of old proto tubing wrenches over the weekend. My dad has a set and they are amazing, hence I had to pick these up when I saw them.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

on the topic of Dremel clone, I have a B&D knockoff that has a motor on a swivel mounted base, with a felxible driveshaft to a little handpiece, and it's loving great, shitloads of torque, and the handpiece is so small it'll fit anywhere.

Don't know the price unfortunately, since it's a hand-me-down from my dad.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

oxbrain posted:

Check craigslist and start trolling garage sales. You can find an exact match for the kit that was in your truck at a suspiciously low price.
Fixed.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I missed a tool thread?

Unfortunately, I have very little space in which to store tools, so I only buy what I need when I need it. I don't even have a jack at my apartment.

I need to get my chain adjusted on my bike really soon, I just bought a 1/2 in. socket set from Harbor Freight to get the axle off. It'll be good enough for what I need to use it for. The socket feels/sounds really cheap and the breaker bar is only 14 inches long, but I have a 2 foot one in my car for taking the wheels off, so that's okay. As long as the 27 mm socket doesn't break, I'll consider it a success.

I also got their 1/4 in. clicker torque wrench for small torque applications. I'm curious to see how it holds up.

I picked up a $2 plastic caliper from there. It's gonna be crap, but I have no need for precision. I just wanted something to get quick/rough measurements of diameters and such.

The HF racing jacks in the first post sound great. My dad has a cheap ($16) generic jack from the auto parts store. It get really difficult to lift the car up high enough to get jack stands underneath. The creaking noises it makes make you cringe with fear.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Normally I try to buy US tools or a high quality imported tools after breaking a few cheap sets, but Costco has a pretty good deal on ratcheting wrench sets.

SAE and Metric sets for 8$ each, made in taiwan, named Master Grip. Each 8$ set has 9 pieces, with duplicates of the smallest sized wrench but with different handle lengths.

Even at 8$, if they break, it's cheap to replace and makes a good "throw away" set to keep in your car in case some crackhead decides to break in and loot your tools.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

RealKyleH posted:

Black and Decker dremel

I've got one, and it's been perfectly fine for everything i've needed it for, to be honest.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005
Alright, so I am going to need to buy a jack. It needs to be relatively small, able to fit under a pretty low car, and able to lift high enough to fit some pretty beefy jack stands (6Ton) under it. The car is an Audi 4000CS, so, not a very heavy vehicle (2824lbs with 18.5 gal of gasoline, all other fluid full and a 165lb driver). I don't want to spend a whole lot.

I'm guessing we're talking about a HF Racing jack, yeah?

WHICH ONE THOUGH? I know the 3000lb will be good enough no problem (you don't lift the whole car+driver at once, but I could if I wanted to). They have Rapid Pump, ones with LEDs, some that are seemingly identical, all of the prices are different. Does anyone have a current part number for the good one(s)?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Disciple of Pain posted:

I'm guessing we're talking about a HF Racing jack, yeah?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91039

This is the one I have. I haven't had it long enough to say about the longevity. It pumps a bit slower than my old sears 2-ton, but sits lower, has about the same range of travel, and is more stable.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40105

If you want to spend more, this jack is only 1/2" higher, but can lift nearly 3" more and is wider for more stability. It's also rapid pump, and the same weight as the smaller jack.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

oxbrain posted:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91039

This is the one I have. I haven't had it long enough to say about the longevity. It pumps a bit slower than my old sears 2-ton, but sits lower, has about the same range of travel, and is more stable.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40105

If you want to spend more, this jack is only 1/2" higher, but can lift nearly 3" more and is wider for more stability. It's also rapid pump, and the same weight as the smaller jack.

I had that first one and it got stolen. Really nice jack, no creaking at all. I was too cheap to replace it though.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
Canadians: Princess Auto has a POWER FIST! 1/2 inch drive torque wrench for 19.88. It does 20-150 ft-lbs and comes with a calibration sheet.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I just picked up the Harbor Freight aluminum racing jack from the OP on sale again for $80. I'm really, really excited to use it this weekend. Is that weird?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Uthor posted:

I just picked up the Harbor Freight aluminum racing jack from the OP on sale again for $80. I'm really, really excited to use it this weekend. Is that weird?

Not really, I always love using new tools, I just hate getting them dirty.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

Uthor posted:

I recently picked up the slightly more expensive "quick pump" version (I mentioned in a previous post I had a coupon), I jacked up one side of my car just for the hell of it. It was really nice :shobon:.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

ChiliMac posted:

I recently picked up the slightly more expensive "quick pump" version (I mentioned in a previous post I had a coupon), I jacked up one side of my car just for the hell of it. It was really nice :shobon:.

I was looking at it, but I'm going to use it so infrequently, that it's not really worth the cost.

I did think about jacking up the car in the parking lot, but then I'd have to unpack it and it'd just cause more trouble when I have to pack the car for my drive this weekend.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
So, when it comes to overhead valve compressors are they pretty much all the same? Like the $10 ones from Harbor Freight will work just fine, or is it worth it spending a few dollars more for a more quality tool. Any recommendations? It's for a 24V BMW I6 head, so I dunno if spacing will play much of an issue or what.

I'm looking to go yank a head off a junker and get it machined and ready to swap onto my car with some hotter cams (I want to minimize downtime), and would like to do as much of the work as possible myself, which would be everything except the machining.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Those electronic earmuffs are extremely useful for griding and shooting and at $11 are an untouchable deal. I have had mine for almost a year and they're great.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

RealKyleH posted:

Those electronic earmuffs are extremely useful for griding and shooting and at $11 are an untouchable deal. I have had mine for almost a year and they're great.

I have both the earmuffs and the goggles and they are both good. The goggles are AWESOME and the best safety goggles I've ever used.

nicad
Feb 21, 2004
anyone have any recommendations for a miter saw? mainly going to put up crown molding with it, and cut some flooring to length

fishmech_1.1_RC
Jul 22, 2003

If anybody needs to buy an ISO/bubble flaring tool (for metric brake lines) then I suggest you buy this: http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/otc4504.html

Hard to beat something made by OTC for $20.

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.

nicad posted:

anyone have any recommendations for a miter saw? mainly going to put up crown molding with it, and cut some flooring to length

I have this,
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LS1013L-10-Inch-Sliding-Compound/dp/B000CFKL3E
I got it to make accurate cuts in hardwood floor, base and crown molding. The saw is fantastic. I have never used anything this nice. I think once you get to a certain level of quality it is about preference.
http://www.amazon.com/D1080X-Diablo-10-Inch-PermaShield-Coating/dp/B00008WQ32
As far as a blade I used this for my finish work and it has held up as well as I would expect a blade to after shilling out 50 bucks. Most cuts have been through maple, and all that I didn't foul up being dumb came out beautiful.

Overall the combination lends itself to me learning to do some finishing around the house. I haven't thrown anything out due to a bad cut, just a few bad measures.

nicad
Feb 21, 2004

PeaceFrog posted:

I have this,
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LS1013L-10-Inch-Sliding-Compound/dp/B000CFKL3E
I got it to make accurate cuts in hardwood floor, base and crown molding. The saw is fantastic. I have never used anything this nice. I think once you get to a certain level of quality it is about preference.
http://www.amazon.com/D1080X-Diablo-10-Inch-PermaShield-Coating/dp/B00008WQ32
As far as a blade I used this for my finish work and it has held up as well as I would expect a blade to after shilling out 50 bucks. Most cuts have been through maple, and all that I didn't foul up being dumb came out beautiful.

Overall the combination lends itself to me learning to do some finishing around the house. I haven't thrown anything out due to a bad cut, just a few bad measures.

drat nice saw. makita makes great poo poo. its also over $500 :(
got any other recommendations for <$300 ?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I want this clock. And now its on sale!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

RealKyleH posted:

I want this clock. And now its on sale!

Only legitimate use for fake calipers.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005
So, I still haven't replaced my tools that were stolen. I was trying to decide between buying a ~$200-300 set (which will cover a lot of the stuff that was stolen, the rest I can accumulate as I need it (much of it was WWII Jeep specific, so now that I'm a teacher with a Saab that time might not ever come...)) from Kobalt (Lowes) or Craftsman. Most of the stuff that was stolen was Craftsman. I know their quality has gone down a bit and their policies are no longer as cool as they used to be. I've decided on possibly a third option though:

Use Ebay to buy real professional grade tools for some stuff and supplement with Harbor Freight stuff for things that I rarely use/aren't all that breakable.

So things like:

-Ratchets
-Torque Wrenches
-Drivers
-Some sockets
-Locking pliers

Things like combination wrenches, a lot of the sockets (I'd probably get the good stuff in 3/8s and use HF stuff until it breaks for 1/4 and 1/2 drive), etc would come from HF, at least until I find that it sucks and I'm using it a lot.

This will also allow me to focus on Metric stuff as I have a small selection of std tools that were given to me by a coworker after the theft.

Or should I buy a Craftsman set?
Or should I buy a Koblat set?

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.

nicad posted:

drat nice saw. makita makes great poo poo. its also over $500 :(
got any other recommendations for <$300 ?

I have this Hitachi miter saw on a fold up workstand and it does the trick for me. The blade that came with it is OK (I've only cut painted trim with it though, might want something nicer for hardwood). The laser isn't anything fantastic, but I drop the blade to make sure it's on the mark before I cut anyways, so no big deal. Other than that, it's a great saw. I've used it to put up baseboards/trim/crown at my house and crown at my aunt's house and both projects turned out nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Disciple of Pain posted:

tool set
I got this set from sears onsale for 200$ a few months ago :
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00933260000P?mv=rr

I love it because it helps me keep everything organized. The drivers aren't as nice as some other ones I've had, but perfectly fine none the less.