Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Three Red Lights posted:

Honestly between Carrot, Moist and Vimes the only real way I can see AM run after Vetinari is some combination of all three.

What do you suppose TP would call an AM triumvirate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Personally I think there's about as much chance of Vimes ever consenting to be Patrician as there is of me running it. Nevermind his statutory distate for all the fop and circumstance and beauracracy of political life he's intensely disliked every preceding leader, Patrician or King.

Carrot or Moist though, those'd be much more likely choices, although I think it's fair to say Vetinari has Moist twisted around his thumb much better than he has Carrot, who's probably the only person in the City as key'd to the job as he is.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Nilbop posted:

Carrot or Moist though, those'd be much more likely choices

I'd say C.M.O.T. Dibbler's a far more likely candidate than Carrot.

Calenth
Jul 11, 2001

Vetinari isn't ever going to step down; as has been pointed out by many characters, even if he died, getting him to stay dead is an entirely separate question.

I think people are approaching the question the wrong way though -- it's not "who would vetinari appoint as successor" but rather "who would end up in charge when the dust settled."

If Vetinari actually died and nobody was in charge, the first thing everyone in Ankh-Morpork would do was riot. Vimes and Carrot would stop the riot. The mob would probably try to crown Carrot, Carrot would refuse the job and defer to Vimes, and Vimes would be left holding the bag whether he wanted to or not. Moist could be a monkey wrench; I'm not sure whether he'd try to engage in a mass swindle of the whole city, or run away the second there was dirt on the coffin.

At some point I'd like to see Carrot and Moist get into a charm conflict. It'd be interesting.

I think at the end of the novel, Vetinari would come back, as a Vampire, and Vimes would "Go Spare," as Nobby puts it.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Calenth posted:

I think at the end of the novel, Vetinari would come back, as a Vampire, and Vimes would "Go Spare," as Nobby puts it.

He'd never last as a vampire, unless he were one of those temperance flakes, and I just can't see that. No, if Vetinari came back, he'd be a zombie. But no one would be able to tell. Hell, he might just be a zombie now.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Calenth posted:

Vetinari isn't ever going to step down; as has been pointed out by many characters, even if he died, getting him to stay dead is an entirely separate question.

I think people are approaching the question the wrong way though -- it's not "who would vetinari appoint as successor" but rather "who would end up in charge when the dust settled."

If Vetinari actually died and nobody was in charge, the first thing everyone in Ankh-Morpork would do was riot. Vimes and Carrot would stop the riot. The mob would probably try to crown Carrot, Carrot would refuse the job and defer to Vimes, and Vimes would be left holding the bag whether he wanted to or not. Moist could be a monkey wrench; I'm not sure whether he'd try to engage in a mass swindle of the whole city, or run away the second there was dirt on the coffin.

This is sort of what I was arguing around. I can't see Havelock ever "appointing" anyone to the post he's best at, but if he were to suddenly be unincumbered by the demands of office then I'd say Moist or Carrot would be most likely to fill that role, assuming we can discount the noble contention from families like the Selachiis or Venturis.
I can't see Carrot ever stepping down in favour of Vimes; Carrot is smart enough to know Vimes would hate the and hate him for offering it, and he always seemed to share Vetinari's concern for what Ankh-Morpork actually needs anyway. Moist might fit neatly into the role if Carrot was really set on not accepting his birthright, although I rather think it's implied he would if needed.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Nilbop posted:

, assuming we can discount the noble contention from families like the Selachiis or Venturis.

This also being one of the greatest throwaway puns in existince, as it's never really referenced again, but utterly brilliant.

Selachii posted:

(vertebrate zoology) An order of elasmobranchs including all fossil sharks, except Cladoselachii and Pleuracanthodii.

Venturi posted:

An aspirator, also called an eductor-jet pump or filter pump, is a device that produces vacuum by means of the Venturi effect.

So Sharks and Jets. Who happen to be in a wonderful show called West Side Story, a modern re-telling of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. In one line he references Shakespeare without you even noticing, and he never explains it, or footnotes it. Just for fun.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:monocle:

Holy poo poo.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

ibroxmassive posted:

This also being one of the greatest throwaway puns in existince, as it's never really referenced again, but utterly brilliant.
[/spoiler]

So Sharks and Jets. Who happen to be in a wonderful show called West Side Story, a modern re-telling of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. In one line he references Shakespeare without you even noticing, and he never explains it, or footnotes it. Just for fun.

:monocle: Jesus Christ! Did you go over the series with a fine tooth comb!?

EvilUrchin
Jun 13, 2007

Sigmar's Fist: 5 Star Crash Rating
Hey, he might just be an auto mechanic physicist marine biologist.

Edit: Random side note, browsing through the wiki page on aspirators I discovered that apparently insect aspirators, used for collecting small insects, are known as "pooters". I dunno, it amused me.

EvilUrchin fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 23, 2008

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

:monocle: Jesus Christ! Did you go over the series with a fine tooth comb!?

Someone pointed it out to me, god knows where they found it out. But yes, :monocle:.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ibroxmassive posted:

Someone pointed it out to me, god knows where they found it out. But yes, :monocle:.

Probably the L-Space Annotations File: http://www.lspace.org/books/apf/index.html

It's getting woefully out of date.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The_Doctor posted:

Probably the L-Space Annotations File: http://www.lspace.org/books/apf/index.html

It's getting woefully out of date.

Aye, it's solid gold reference, but when I got to Going Postal it was a shock to suddenly have the annotations end!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Stupid question perhaps but could somone explain to me why you are refering to Terry Pratchett as Pterry?

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Sylphosaurus posted:

Stupid question perhaps but could somone explain to me why you are refering to Terry Pratchett as Pterry?

I'm not sure but I think it's been taken from Pyramids.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

camuk19 posted:

I'm not sure but I think it's been taken from Pyramids.
Yeah, it started on alt.fan.pratchett as a joke on the "Ptraci", "Pteppic" etc. names in Pyramids.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I thought someone made a typo and we just ran with it 'cos it was cute.

Trixie
Feb 28, 2008
So in 2006 we had Hogfather, 2008 The Colour of Magic, and in 2009 Going Postal. Looks like this might get to be a regular thing. What do we get next? I'd really hope for a City Watch book or (another) Lancre Witches book (wiki seems to count the Cosgrove Hall cartoons and the Sky adaptations together). For a Watch book adaptation, does it have to begin at the beginning or can they skip ahead- or, like The Colour of Magic, combine a couple of books?
I can't believe I held off reading these for so long. I've been working through them as I can get them from the library and they are like delicious mind candy, I can't get enough.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Trixie posted:

So in 2006 we had Hogfather, 2008 The Colour of Magic, and in 2009 Going Postal. Looks like this might get to be a regular thing. What do we get next? I'd really hope for a City Watch book or (another) Lancre Witches book (wiki seems to count the Cosgrove Hall cartoons and the Sky adaptations together). For a Watch book adaptation, does it have to begin at the beginning or can they skip ahead- or, like The Colour of Magic, combine a couple of books?
I can't believe I held off reading these for so long. I've been working through them as I can get them from the library and they are like delicious mind candy, I can't get enough.

I remember Terry saying somewhere that there were rough speculations on maybe doing a Watch miniseries that would have Guards! Guards! as a double-length pilot and then Men At Arms adapted for the series itself.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

shadok posted:

I think this is mostly true with perhaps one exception: you don't really understand the crucial and central importance of tea, and why putting the kettle on is the correct response to any crisis.

I think that chart may have disregarded the all-importance of iced tea.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Entropic posted:

I remember Terry saying somewhere that there were rough speculations on maybe doing a Watch miniseries that would have Guards! Guards! as a double-length pilot and then Men At Arms adapted for the series itself.

My God, my dream is coming to life.

Does this mean they've finished the time machine and are even as we speak going back to get 80's Hugh Laurie and Clint Eastwood for the central roles?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

If you're doing a Watch series then;

Sam Vimes =

Sgt. Colon =

and a relative unknown for Nobbs and Carrot. Angua will invariably be some Hollyoaks actress trying to make her way into Hollywood. :(.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

ibroxmassive posted:

and a relative unknown for Nobbs and Carrot. Angua will invariably be some Hollyoaks actress trying to make her way into Hollywood. :(.

I thought the guy they had in Hogfather was perfect for Nobby.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

Looking it up, he does look good. Him as well. Now we just need someone who can photoshop them into armour.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

LooseChanj posted:

He looked the part, he just sounded completely wrong. He acted like a guest on Last of the Summer Wine instead of a greasy Cockney runt. See also, Ponder Stibbons.

Anyway, howzthis?

More like Lieutenant Ironfoundersson, haha.

A younger Vimes. C'mon, this is pretty much what Kidby is thinking when he draws him.

And two different Colons! The one guy from Heartbeat, who's got the voice down pat and has history playing a specifically useful copper, and Jack Duckworth, possibly the most likeable old man on television.

Captain Rehab
Jul 8, 2005

I'd love to see Ray Winstone play Vimes. I think he'd suit the character perfectly (OK, maybe not physically, but otherwise).

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Nilbop posted:

More like Lieutenant Ironfoundersson, haha.

No one believes me when I say this but I reckon House Hugh Laurie could rock the poo poo out of Vimes. Tenacious, cynical ex-alcoholic who gets on everyone importants nerves but gets the job done anyway? He's practically Vimes now.

It couldnt be an american in any case, Vimes is Dirty Harry influenced yeah, but he's a British parody of the american cop movie character.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Well, I'm up to "Going Postal" now, and I'm sad there's only a few more discworld novels. :( I was all :woop: when I saw "Making Money" was coming out in Sept in mmp, then I noticed it was Sept *30*. :argh: Figures, I'm gonna have to wait for it after I finish "Wintersmith".

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Er, I'm not sure if I understand you but your post seems to imply that Making Money isn't out yet. Well it is, I read it and everything.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Bonus posted:

Er, I'm not sure if I understand you but your post seems to imply that Making Money isn't out yet. Well it is, I read it and everything.

The paperback isn't, and drat if I'm paying $20 for the hardcover.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Oh, that must be a US thing then or something? I have this paperback version.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
So when are we getting some more Witches? My new gas station job has me plowing through the series again, and for all that Carpe Jugulum is Lords and Ladies with the serial numbers filed off, it was the last book with Granny, Nanny, Magrat, and Agnes. Any word on when a new Witches book comes out?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Pope Guilty posted:

So when are we getting some more Witches? My new gas station job has me plowing through the series again, and for all that Carpe Jugulum is Lords and Ladies with the serial numbers filed off, it was the last book with Granny, Nanny, Magrat, and Agnes. Any word on when a new Witches book comes out?

I don't think there's any in the works. The Lancre witches have more or less been replaced by the Tiffany Aching books with cameos by Granny Weatherwax, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

I'm kind of hoping for more great one-off books along the lines of The Truth or Monstrous Regiment. It's always fun to see the Watch from someone else's perspective.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I'd love to see Polly and Malicanta again as long as we never have to revisit the festering fungus festy fest that was Warzone Setting With Reveals.

I'm really astounded how much I disliked that book. What was the place called? Borogravia? Did I make that up?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Nilbop posted:

I'd love to see Polly and Malicanta again as long as we never have to revisit the festering fungus festy fest that was Warzone Setting With Reveals.

I'm really astounded how much I disliked that book. What was the place called? Borogravia? Did I make that up?

Yeah, it was Borogravia. I actually just finished it, and it was pretty good. It did get a bit hokey as the story went on, but other than that, I liked most of the book.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I just started The Last Continent (I know, I'm tearing through these books) and it struck me that it would make a good candidate for the next TV movie adaptation after Going Postal. I don't know much about the story yet, but it's got Rincewind, plus all the wizards that ran the UU in Hogfather.

Any news on production from Going Postal? I know it's not going to air until 2009, but I haven't seen anything about filming. Usually that sort of news is reported on, right?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Emerson Cod posted:

Any news on production from Going Postal? I know it's not going to air until 2009, but I haven't seen anything about filming. Usually that sort of news is reported on, right?

Nothing yet, but I'm really hoping David Jason isn't Moist.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Just finished Going Postal, and I can't believe there's only 3 more discworld novels to read. What next? :cry:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Night Watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

Nothing yet, but I'm really hoping David Jason isn't Moist.

Actually, after a bit of research, I found out that apparently shooting's been pushed off to 2009. I forget the name of the site, but it's one of the major Discworld ones.