Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I have no advice on the engine swap. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory, most of the engine swaps out there are very hack and slash. Is it possible to order new oem wiring for the engine? What's hacked together? Power to the engine? Or engine and sensors to the dash gauges? I'm guessing it's just spliced into the trucks original wiring?

As for the seat, you can talk to any auto upholstery shop, or vinyl repair place. There a chain of guys called Dr. Vinyl which I'm going to try out when I get back from Canada. They specialize in that sort of thing.

A realistic option is removing both seats and dropping them off some place for a few hundred to get them recovered, thats if you care about matching seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Braincloud posted:

It's your blower switch. $30 from the dealer. I had the same problem with my TJ - the fan only worked on level 2 (4 if I wiggled it). The switches have a reputation for going out.

Pull your switch cluster and then remove the blower switch. Don't let them tell you you need to buy the whole cluster (I've heard some dealers tell TJ owners this). It's a really simple fix - I did it in the dealer parking lot.

BTW, beautiful TJ! Congrats! Now go get it dirty.

You know, now that I think of it.. I think it's gone out before for the previous owner. It would explain why I don't have the A/C snowflake when I have the factory installed A/C.

Anyways, I'll try to pick up a switch before I head over to Sedona to break her in.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

skinner posted:

wiring and seat

BJ's Offroad sells wiring harnesses, and you can probably pick one up off the IFSJA forums. And some wiring diagrams for ya. A lot of the stuff is the same between years.

BJ's also has full replacement vinyl and leather seat covers (expensive!). You might want to look for a used set, I see them go for dirt cheap sometimes.

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=&nid=443&tab=list/view&ad=757699

The owner says that this 1987 Cherokee with 180k miles will pass safety and emissions. I want to buy a old 4x4 as a winter beater, its either that or suffer another northern utah winter in my 2wd Chevy S-10.

I must resist...the....temptation!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I pulled apart my center dash and put in the new blower control switch. The old one was melted.. and so was a big chunk of the plastic connection on the wiring. I just ignored it and installed the new switch and it worked on all speeds. Thanks for the tip braincloud!

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
somewhere out there is a guide on how to upgrade the melted part. I'd check the jeep forums but someone out there makes upgraded poo poo that won't melt. fyi for future......stuff.

skinner
Oct 22, 2003

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

BJ's Offroad sells wiring harnesses, and you can probably pick one up off the IFSJA forums. And some wiring diagrams for ya. A lot of the stuff is the same between years.

BJ's also has full replacement vinyl and leather seat covers (expensive!). You might want to look for a used set, I see them go for dirt cheap sometimes.

Thanks for the links, especially the oljeep.com site. Maybe the folks at IFSJA will have some tips as to the starter.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
That'd be the best place to ask about the starter. Mine does the same thing, but it's so infrequent that I just don't care.

russ6570
Nov 13, 2006
a few Comanche questions-

What major things are different between a Comanche and a Cherokee?

If I were to swap a gauge cluster in that had, you know, gauges (not idiot lights), would I have to replace all the sensors, and would I have to replace anything to get the tachometer to work as mine doesn't have one?

And finally, is there any easy way to lift the rear of the truck other than a spring over axle lift?

thanks

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

russ6570 posted:

If I were to swap a gauge cluster in that had, you know, gauges (not idiot lights), would I have to replace all the sensors, and would I have to replace anything to get the tachometer to work as mine doesn't have one?

And finally, is there any easy way to lift the rear of the truck other than a spring over axle lift?

thanks

Comanches have stiffer springs, they are also spring under.
They have a variable rear brake proportional valve, according to the load in the truck bed.
They have a 'frame' that extends past the unibody so as to make it more truck-like. (Enabling you to take the bed off of the frame).
Some had bench seats.

To replace the gauge cluster, all you need to do is replace the idiot light sensors with variable resistance sensors. The wiring is all there I believe.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

ethanol posted:

I pulled apart my center dash and put in the new blower control switch. The old one was melted.. and so was a big chunk of the plastic connection on the wiring. I just ignored it and installed the new switch and it worked on all speeds. Thanks for the tip braincloud!

If your poo poo was melted, you need to install some aftermarket relays in addition to your new switch, otherwise you'll eventually have the same problem. For some reason, some TJs have an issue with the switches getting super hot and destroying all sorts of wiring. Luckily, mine didn't have that problem.

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

somewhere out there is a guide on how to upgrade the melted part. I'd check the jeep forums but someone out there makes upgraded poo poo that won't melt. fyi for future......stuff.

Here is an article about it, although the how-to is a little sparse:
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/electrical/154_0710_jeep_fire_prevention/index.html

I've seen a more in depth how-to on a jeep forum but can't find it at the moment. With a bit of searching, I'm sure you can come up with it. I highly suggest you do this though, since you have the melty problem.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

New question:

What would make the steering wheel groan at very low speed turns? I checked the power steering fluid levels and they seemed fine. I'm thinking of flushing the fluid and putting mopar fluid in it because I don't know what the previous owner put in.

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

ethanol posted:

New question:

What would make the steering wheel groan at very low speed turns? I checked the power steering fluid levels and they seemed fine. I'm thinking of flushing the fluid and putting mopar fluid in it because I don't know what the previous owner put in.

Since you didn't tell us what year, model and engine this Jeep has/is, I am going to reference my 1990 F-150..

I had to replace my power steering pump on my '90 F-150 5.0 a while back as it was making a whining noise on slow turns.

Now my '84 Cherokee has just started groaning at low speed and the power steering assist just stops. It worked fine before I replaced the hoses. I think some dirt/mud fell into the hose connects as I was replacing them. Now I get to replace the pump. Fun.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Slack3r posted:

Since you didn't tell us what year, model and engine this Jeep has/is, I am going to reference my 1990 F-150..

I had to replace my power steering pump on my '90 F-150 5.0 a while back as it was making a whining noise on slow turns.

Now my '84 Cherokee has just started groaning at low speed and the power steering assist just stops. It worked fine before I replaced the hoses. I think some dirt/mud fell into the hose connects as I was replacing them. Now I get to replace the pump. Fun.

I was just talking about it so I forgot to mention it's a 99 TJ 4.0 sport. I also should mention this started happening after a bumpy trail ride. It doesn't sound like it's coming from the power steering pump.. it almost sounds like it's from the column itself.. after work I'm gonna check for air in the pump and spray some dry lubricant on the column joints.

edit: the dry lubricant solved the problem. I sprayed it where the column goes through the firewall.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 28, 2008

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?
I can't get my drat jeep to start after the engine swap. Any help you guys? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2915306

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Brand new Jeep owner checking in. The wife and I bought a certified 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited with 39k on the clock. Funny thing is, the purchase started as a simple oil change for my 2001 Chevy Cavalier. What was going to be $30, turned into $1000 of repairs (plugs, wiring, all filters, induction, valve covers, all liquids flushed, etc..etc..etc). So instead of plunking down $1000 on a car that was maybe worth $1500, we decided to drive around to the local dealers while my car's oil was getting changed. Walked onto a local Chrysler/Jeep lot just wanting to see what they had and well fell in love with the Jeep. It had everything we were looking for, 4WD, low mileage, and a warranty. So about 4 hours and a test drive later, we traded in my Cavalier with new oil for the Liberty.

So yeah, love at first sight and I couldn't be happier. :)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

My blower switch melted again. I took out that lovely plastic clip harness and replaced it with individual plastic clamps from radio shack. I decided to skip the relay for now because the site hosting the relay guide is down.. it looked relatively simple but I just decided to keep it out for now and see if the radio shack clamps melt or not. When the ultimatejeep forums pop back up, I'll take a look at their relay guide and decide whether I want to redo the medium and high settings.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Question. I recently had my 99 Cherokee off road, went to go up steep little hill, and after a little struggling got up the hill and noticed a burning smell. Smelled kind of like burning brakes, my 11 year old nephew said it smelled like food burning. :v:

It lasted just for a bit and then went away, I went up the same hill two more times later, but in 4WD low, and didn't notice it again. Any ideas what the burning was?

Also, after the off road outing with my nephew, he said "holy crap I want a Jeep". :)

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*
Browsing 4wd.com and jcwhitney, I know for sure I am picking up a posi-lock setup, but I'm thinking of a couple more things too. Any opinions on the following before I pull the trigger?:

Bestop Trunk Storage System- is this poo poo worthless? I'm not going to be storing bars of gold, just some off-road/camping gear.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...+storage+system

Should I get a steering wheel lock? Seems too easy to defeat like the club, was thinking about getting an in-line kill switch and hiding it instead? Any ideas? Right now I'm running with no top and no doors.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+115+320012&D=320012

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 29, 2008

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

russ6570 posted:

thanks
Nothing was different between the MJ and the 4 door XJ from the cab forward. Behind the cab nothing was the same. Most MJs came with bench seats and a pedal parking brake.

As for swapping the gauge cluster, I have done this and it is the best modification I have ever done in any vehicle I have ever owned. If your truck is a pre '91 you need to get one with a cable speedo, if it is a 91 or 92 you will need an electronic one. The only sensors you need to swap are the oil pressure (they stocked this at my local autozone) and the temp sensor (I had to order this from Napa online). Also take the time to calibrate your odometer, this like will help give you an idea of what the swap involves, it is very easy once you locate all three parts.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=921205

How much are you wanting to lift your truck? There is shackles you can get that will put it up an inch or so, but anything beyond that you will have to do spring over axle.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.
Does anybody know what the steering wheel diameter should be for an '87 Jeep Comanche? I've got this :10bux: steering wheel on mine that's only 12.5 inches in diameter. I think it makes the beast more nervous than a hooker in church.

I'm thinking if I got a larger diameter wheel on it, it wouldn't be so nervous feeling, especially on the highway.

Bonus picture of my clutch pedal, which is really a bicycle pedal. For a total ghetto fix, it works quite well and feels good under boots, even in the winter.

EDIT: with a bonus mystery wire. Where does it go? :iiam:

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I just measured my 87 Comanches steering wheel and it is 15" exactly. Is that wire hooked up to your pedal?

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

tonedef131 posted:

I just measured my 87 Comanches steering wheel and it is 15" exactly. Is that wire hooked up to your pedal?

Ah, thanks. Maybe I'll get a larger diameter one then, which should alleviate the problem. Naw, that orange mystery wire just hangs down there. I can't trace it back to where it's supposed to go, but I think it's for the fog lights that have never worked.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

leica posted:

Question. I recently had my 99 Cherokee off road, went to go up steep little hill, and after a little struggling got up the hill and noticed a burning smell. Smelled kind of like burning brakes, my 11 year old nephew said it smelled like food burning. :v:

It lasted just for a bit and then went away, I went up the same hill two more times later, but in 4WD low, and didn't notice it again. Any ideas what the burning was?

Also, after the off road outing with my nephew, he said "holy crap I want a Jeep". :)

Is it a manual? Sounds like your clutch was slipping.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
Leave the wheel the same size but get the CHAIN/LOVE MACHEEN wheel.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Leave the wheel the same size but get the CHAIN/LOVE MACHEEN wheel.

Chrome don't get ya home, and those are way too expensive, like, $14.00 and your hands freeze to them in the winter. They look hella cool though.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

grzydj posted:

Chrome don't get ya home, and those are way too expensive, like, $14.00 and your hands freeze to them in the winter. They look hella cool though.

lets compromise and go for big barefoot gas pedal then.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

lets compromise and go for big barefoot gas pedal then.

The big barefoot gas pedal and that bike/clutch pedal are made for each other.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Braincloud posted:

Is it a manual? Sounds like your clutch was slipping.

Nope, automatic. Should have mentioned that. Funny, because it did smell like a clutch burning. :confused:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm thinking about swapping in some different shocks on my TJ. I'm just wondering how I can nail down the lift size? I know it's a rancho kit with rancho shocks included... it's either 2.5" to 3". Is the .5" small enough that I can buy a 3" rated shock and fit it? I'm thinking about Bilsteins or OMEs.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
I am really trying not to buy my sister-in-law's 94 GC V8. I need a small truck not a v8 600' to the gallon monster that I will break every weekend. But it would be so much fun.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

evilnissan posted:

I need a small truck not a v8 600' to the gallon monster that I will break every weekend.

Fold down the rear seats and it is a small truck! Problem solved!

Well, maybe not the breaking it every weekend part...

be Creative
May 26, 2007
my brother is teh pwn.
This is a pretty easy question I think, but I could not find the answer through searching google and jeep forum.

How big is the fuel tank on my 1999 XJ?

Thanks in advance

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?

be Creative posted:

This is a pretty easy question I think, but I could not find the answer through searching google and jeep forum.

How big is the fuel tank on my 1999 XJ?

Thanks in advance

20 Gallons

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

Molten Llama posted:

Fold down the rear seats and it is a small truck! Problem solved!

Well, maybe not the breaking it every weekend part...

The old lady says my next automobile has to be usefull and were bumming my grandfather truck every other weekend for something that too big for a car or needs to go to the dump but this would be a hard deal to pass up other than the high miles and assuming still busted heater doors/hvac issue.

Not to thrilled about the full time transfer case that I dont know much about.

evilnissan fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 30, 2008

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Please tell me if this is normal: my gas gauge reads 3/4 a tank and I've only gone 20 miles since my last fillup... :aaa:

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

ethanol posted:

Please tell me if this is normal: my gas gauge reads 3/4 a tank and I've only gone 20 miles since my last fillup... :aaa:
Probably just the sender. My XJ will do that at times, as well as going from 1/4 tank to 1/8 tank in a matter of minutes when close to six gallons is left. Then again, it spent 20,000 miles on lovely stale gasoline in Central America.

markdown
Jan 14, 2008
2 baristas, one drink.
Mine dropped 1/8th tank taking it around the neighborhood. ...the road is a small square.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

ethanol posted:

I've not heard of TJs having gauge problems. Not like YJs but who knows. Mine floats all over the place and when it starts bouncing between 1/4 and 1/2 it's time to fill up. But usually I fill up around 130 miles, just to be safe. I'm still uncertain of my gas tank size. I don't know if it's 20 or 15, I've never run it empty to find out and don't plan on it.

To be safe you could fill up every 140 or 190 miles depending on your tank size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I've not heard of TJs having gauge problems. Not like YJs but who knows. Mine floats all over the place and when it starts bouncing between 1/4 and 1/2 it's time to fill up. But usually I fill up around 130 miles, just to be safe. I'm still uncertain of my gas tank size. I don't know if it's 20 or 15, I've never run it empty to find out and don't plan on it.

To be safe you could fill up every 140 or 190 miles depending on your tank size.

My oil pressure gauge works intermittently, as do my turn signal indicators, speedometer and fuel gauge. My volt meter appears to be spot on all the time though. I love Jeeps.