Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Skullthrone posted:

Do you think they confuse Dustin's solo stuff with the songs he writes when he's working on Thrice material? I noticed his solo album was a little more spiritually oriented than any of Thrice's albums.

I loved his solo album. Great stuff to road trip to at night. I really like that they're doing their own thing though, even if it means they might alienate some of their old fans. Some of the results (Water) are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifeloveregret
Nov 29, 2005

start spreading the news

rivals posted:

Following around the Phoenix Bodies/La Quiete tour right now. They are playing a house show and a bar show tonight (house show with Ghostlimb and bar show with Gorlock) and then another one somewhere down here in southern California tomorrow that I'll be at. loving stoked.

The Gilman Portraits Of Past show ruled except for the whole Yaphet Kotto not playing thing. Apparently there was some drama with one of them being drunk so they wouldn't let him play or something I don't know.

Wednesday the 6th ...Who Calls So Loud is playing on my radio show so tune in at 10PM PST on kcpr.org to check it out. You can stream it live and listen to it and poo poo so I suggest you do since it will rule. I'm pissed about that date because loving Punch just posted that they are playing a house show with Marrow that night who I still haven't seen. gently caress. Oh well, it will be my first WCSL show so I'm pumped for that.

Also not relevant to this thread at all but I saw Boris and Torche play last night in LA and holy poo poo it ruled. Boris is easily the loudest band I've ever seen play and I forgot my earplugs so my ears are hosed. Worth it.

My band (Bad Lovers) and our dear friends (Rogue State) will be opening up the Riverside show tonight. It's Bad Lovers' first show ever pretty much so we hope to make everyone feel way uncomfortable

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Eight Is Legend posted:

Norma Jean's new album The Anti-Mother is currently streaming on MySpace - if you dug Redeemer, you're probably gonna love this as well. The lead singer from Deftones is featured on the track Surrender Your Sons, btw.

http://www.myspace.com/normajean

Norma Jean is a big guilty pleasure for me. On a certain level, I understand that their music is pretty basic, and they've essentially been following in Botch's footsteps (or outright aping their style) since O God The Aftermath. But goddamn do I enjoy it. They're heavy as hell, angry as gently caress, and they understand how to write a song without a soft-vocals chorus or other bullshit contrivances. Extremely cathartic music to listen to when you're in the right mood.

I dug most of Redeemer. Very strong opener, and the last 4 or so tracks are also great. The middle is kind of boring and just never grew on me, even with repeated listens. I'm listening to The Anti Mother now, and it seems to be another strong addition to their catalogue. Only halfway through, but Vipers Snakes And Actors and Death Of The Anti Mother really stuck out as being great.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

screwy posted:

I just saw Weekend Nachos tonight...
I don't get how people all over the place love them to death but its great, those guys are all goofballs and have a killer show, whether its local or on the road.

Record stuff: got the new Annihilation Time (more on this) and all the new hosed Up records (ugh bye money).

I went to Seattle to visit old friends and got to see Annihilation Time two days in a row, the second day with Harvey Milk who was also killer. The first night was at the Squid and Ink, a vegan diner/bar a friend works at so I got some delicious cold beverages to keep me drunk and able to ignore the absolute abhorrant lovely opening bands I don't want to mention.

Old news but they won't play Chicago anymore so I had to go see them, the short of it is that lovely pro-censorship idiots in chicago busted out their tour van window years ago because instead of talking with the band about a problem they felt was theirs to solve with bricks, they just did it while they were playing and then emailed them vague hostile threats. Everyone knows who did it too. The people at the show all paid for it because everyone else besides these few individuals love AT to death. People, censorship and retarded fighting is not cool, no matter how serious you think your little issues are. If a serious crime is committed or a band cut your friend's nuts off and you saw it, great, work out the problem. If you don't like a band's message or the people in it, go gently caress yourself and boycott the show. I hate that I have to travel to see one of my favorite bands.

ANYWAYS I also went to Distort Vancouver which was a few hours away in .. Vancouver (BC/Canada). Guys from Limb From Limb, Spectres (and now Chapel) set it up every year, I got to see Inepsy for a second time who are basically Motorhead if Motorhead actually rode motorcycles and did PCP every waking second, and spoke in quebecois. Basically the early Motorhead, but they actually do all the drugs and ride all the motorcycles they write about.. and its punk as gently caress. That and the lead singer is like 3.5 feet tall which makes it better. Toxic Holocaust was great too, forgot how fun live Joel & co is, didn't pick up the new Chapel demo but apparently its mandatory and I'm getting it in the mail soon. Spectres have a new full length ready but not recorded and that is all I'm remembering I think. Get dunks stay punk..

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Not an Anthem posted:

Distort Vancouver

Did In Disgust play this too? I think it was this but i may be confused. I missed them when they came to AZ last time and am so pissed. I love this band.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Norma Jean.... They're heavy as hell, angry as gently caress

This same band I saw 5 years ago (I didn't go for them, a friend's band was playing) at a Church in Indiana and they refused to play because two kids got into a fight. They also had the nerve to ask my friend Kyle, who booked the show, for a cut of the door money. What a bunch of loving douchebags.

I usually don't like to rip on people for liking what they like, but goddamn does that band suck poo poo.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!
Norma Jean is one of the reasons people make fun of scene metalcore and throw around terms like white belt and "jun jun WEEEE". They are pretty much everything I dislike about the metalcore scene, if I could somehow get it back to just Botch, Coalesce, Converge and old Cave-In and ensure it never got huge and stupid I would in a heartbeat.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

acup posted:

This same band I saw 5 years ago (I didn't go for them, a friend's band was playing) at a Church in Indiana and they refused to play because two kids got into a fight. They also had the nerve to ask my friend Kyle, who booked the show, for a cut of the door money. What a bunch of loving douchebags.

I usually don't like to rip on people for liking what they like, but goddamn does that band suck poo poo.

I'm not vouching for them as being nice guys or anything... I've never met them. I'm sure plenty of bands that either of us like are gigantic douchebags in person.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

-Atom- posted:

It Dies Today has a new album coming out in the fall apparently, and they have a new song called 'Thank You for Drinking' (which has a pretty sweet breakdown towards the end) on their MySpace page.

http://www.myspace.com/itdiestoday

I really, really like these guys and I have no idea why.

I like these guys with exception of their last album "Sirens", which is fairly awful. Their old demo, (the original! gently caress the stupid remake) "Forever Scorned", and "The Caitiff Choir" are awesome. The new song gives me hope because they're actually playing heavy poo poo again. "Sirens" had no balls at all. I hope "Lividity" is more like "Caitiff Choir"/"Forever Scorned" and I'll be a happy man.

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.

Not an Anthem posted:

Record stuff: got the new Annihilation Time (more on this) and all the new hosed Up records (ugh bye money).

Your PM box is full. Saw Career Suicide in Reading last night, picked up a spare of the tour 7" if you want it.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Iron Lung posted:

Did In Disgust play this too? I think it was this but i may be confused. I missed them when they came to AZ last time and am so pissed. I love this band.
Yep

MattWPBS posted:

Your PM box is full. Saw Career Suicide in Reading last night, picked up a spare of the tour 7" if you want it.
Sweet.. reminds me I need to find the japanese version of Attempted Suicide

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO

Not an Anthem posted:

Old news but they won't play Chicago anymore so I had to go see them, the short of it is that lovely pro-censorship idiots in chicago busted out their tour van window years ago because instead of talking with the band about a problem they felt was theirs to solve with bricks, they just did it while they were playing and then emailed them vague hostile threats. Everyone knows who did it too. The people at the show all paid for it because everyone else besides these few individuals love AT to death. People, censorship and retarded fighting is not cool, no matter how serious you think your little issues are. If a serious crime is committed or a band cut your friend's nuts off and you saw it, great, work out the problem. If you don't like a band's message or the people in it, go gently caress yourself and boycott the show. I hate that I have to travel to see one of my favorite bands.

That's totally gross, what's wrong with kids?

Going to look into that Quebecois Motorhead band for sure.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Inepsy have 3 lps and a 7", most everything but the 7" can probably be found. Their latest, "No Speed Limit For Destruction," might be hard to get into. Recommend grabbing first two lps first.

I realized I slept on Netjajev SS so if anyone (ahem ahem) has seconds of their discography collection I would totally buy/trade for em.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Holy gently caress I just discovered Le pré où je suis mort and goddamn that band is amazing.

:france:

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

Parachute Underwear posted:

Holy gently caress I just discovered Le pré où je suis mort and goddamn that band is amazing.

:france:
Listen to Daïtro and Sed Non Satiata ASAP if you haven't already.

COCKISPOISON
Mar 13, 2007
Caught both bay area Portraits Of Past shows this weekend, both were loving awesome although their merch selection was totally lackluster. Was loving stoked that Yaphet Kotto didn't play because Mag the Rapist decided to get shitfaced at a bar and be so late to the show his band had already given up, packed up and left.

Also caught the second Peligro Social show with the new lineup on Sunday afternoon with Verbal Abuse (boring) & Krum Bums (heinous.) Peligro was on top of it, the crowd loved it and a good time with a frisbee was had by all. Pullout is a new hardcore band composed of members of Monster Squad and DCOI with more of a Righteous Jams type sound. They opened, I think it was their first show (or one of them) and I picked up their demo - pleasantly surprised. I think they have a myspace, check it out!

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

SubtleDagger posted:

Listen to Daïtro and Sed Non Satiata ASAP if you haven't already.

I already listen to pretty much that whole conglomerate of french emo bands (Celeste, Belle époque, Daitro, SNS, Amanda Woodward, Mihai Edrisch, etc.). France can do no wrong. :)

Thanks, though.

COCKISPOINSON posted:

Was loving stoked that Yaphet Kotto didn't play because Mag the Rapist decided to get shitfaced at a bar and be so late to the show his band had already given up, packed up and left.

Mag the Rapist?

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 6, 2008

punxnbutter
May 22, 2007

Nonsense is better than no sense at all

COCKISPOISON posted:

Caught both bay area Portraits Of Past shows this weekend, both were loving awesome although their merch selection was totally lackluster. Was loving stoked that Yaphet Kotto didn't play because Mag the Rapist decided to get shitfaced at a bar and be so late to the show his band had already given up, packed up and left.

Also caught the second Peligro Social show with the new lineup on Sunday afternoon with Verbal Abuse (boring) & Krum Bums (heinous.) Peligro was on top of it, the crowd loved it and a good time with a frisbee was had by all. Pullout is a new hardcore band composed of members of Monster Squad and DCOI with more of a Righteous Jams type sound. They opened, I think it was their first show (or one of them) and I picked up their demo - pleasantly surprised. I think they have a myspace, check it out!

Did Monster Squad split or is this a side project? I really liked their last album....it was back to the roots. I've never gotten the chance to see them jam live though damnit

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I already listen to pretty much that whole conglomerate of french emo bands (Celeste, Belle époque, Daitro, SNS, Amanda Woodward, Mihai Edrisch, etc.). France can do no wrong. :)

Thanks, though.
Well good. Belle Epoque and Daitro are probably my favorites. I'd go as far as saying Daitro is possibly better than Funeral Diner and Envy. Possibly.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

SubtleDagger posted:

Well good. Belle Epoque and Daitro are probably my favorites. I'd go as far as saying Daitro is possibly better than Funeral Diner and Envy. Possibly.

I can agree with this.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

SubtleDagger posted:

I really both of them but I'm a total fag for both FD and Envy. The latter two just know how to build an amazing loving atmosphere that Daitro and BE are almost able to reproduce as well, but aren't quite there yet.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I really both of them but I'm a total fag for both FD and Envy. The latter two just know how to build an amazing loving atmosphere that Daitro and BE are almost able to reproduce as well, but aren't quite there yet.
BE probably not, Daitro has some songs that have amazingly cathartic guitar work though, some of my favorite guitar playing by any emo band.

COCKISPOISON
Mar 13, 2007

Mag the Rapist?

Mag (singer of Yaphet Kotto) is pretty well known in the bay area as both a rapist and the sketchiest dude around. Between him and Casey Watson, the band is vying for sketchiest band ever, not to mention loving BORING.

COCKISPOISON
Mar 13, 2007

punxnbutter posted:

Did Monster Squad split or is this a side project? I really liked their last album....it was back to the roots. I've never gotten the chance to see them jam live though damnit

They are on a break, not broken up. They're playing a show next week, actually.

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

Does anyone remember a band from Canada in the late 90's- early 00's called Chupacabra? I'm sure there have been tons of bands called Chupacabra, but this specific band had male and female vocals. Really intense screams. I remember them from mp3.com, but I can't find much info on them anymore. I was in 8th grade when I heard them, and I really liked them and I can't find track listings to any of my burnt compilation cds from back then so I can't listen to them now without going through dozens of unlabeled cds. Any info in how to get their music again, or current bands of members would be appreciated.

Gourmet Pez
Mar 28, 2008

COCKISPOISON posted:

Mag (singer of Yaphet Kotto) is pretty well known in the bay area as both a rapist and the sketchiest dude around. Between him and Casey Watson, the band is vying for sketchiest band ever, not to mention loving BORING.

Whoa. Hadn't heard of this before. What's the deal with Casey being sketchy?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Gourmet Pez posted:

Whoa. Hadn't heard of this before. What's the deal with Casey being sketchy?

Me neither. That's a shame because Syncopated Synthetic Laments For Love is one of my favourite records. Bummer :(

Gourmet Pez
Mar 28, 2008

Me neither. That's a shame because Syncopated Synthetic Laments For Love is one of my favourite records. Bummer :(

The Killer Was In The Government Blankets for me. :(

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

Meh, I agree with COCKISPOISON, Yaphet Kotto strikes me as totally boring. I don't get why people are into them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Gourmet Pez posted:

The Killer Was In The Government Blankets for me. :(

Syncopated is better :colbert:

Also, doesn't "pretty well known in the bay area as ... a rapist" usually also come with "and is also in jail"? Somebody explain.

Gourmet Pez
Mar 28, 2008

Inspector_71 posted:

Syncopated is better :colbert:

Also, doesn't "pretty well known in the bay area as ... a rapist" usually also come with "and is also in jail"? Somebody explain.

It doesn't have Are You Still Working At That Cafe? :colbert:.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
I am selling a bunch of records here in SA Mart and a good bit of them are punk and hardcore. Just wanted to give you guys the heads up if you are looking to buy some records.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Mammoth Grinder and Faithealer make Texas hardcore tolerable again!

EvilRobot
Sep 27, 2001

Punks Is Hippies

answersyouseek posted:

I am selling a bunch of records here in SA Mart and a good bit of them are punk and hardcore. Just wanted to give you guys the heads up if you are looking to buy some records.

Is it bad of me to scream "gently caress YOU MATT" as soon as I went through that list and then read Arson Equity's reply?

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

Parachute posted:

Mammoth Grinder and Faithealer make Texas hardcore tolerable again!

Holy poo poo, I forgot about Faithealer. I gotta find their newer stuff because I hadn't listened to them since their demo. Also Faiza is kinda cute :3:

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Not an Anthem posted:

I realized I slept on Netjajev SS so if anyone (ahem ahem) has seconds of their discography collection I would totally buy/trade for em.

Sorry, me and Andy/Mortville are both totally sold out of it.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

EvilRobot posted:

Is it bad of me to scream "gently caress YOU MATT" as soon as I went through that list and then read Arson Equity's reply?

He did ask about some of the better ones but there are still some gems in there.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

answersyouseek posted:

He did ask about some of the better ones but there are still some gems in there.

Yeah, I really wish I had more money to spend. There's a lot of great stuff in there. gently caress buying a house and being a yuppie :(

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Holy poo poo I just checked out Annihilation Time. loving insane. Their description on Last.fm is pretty apt: "Sounds Like : 'Your mother puking after you've forced her at knife point to eat the feces of a 43 year old retarded homeless man (the knife, by the way, says "blood and honor" in German on it but dont ask us where it came from). Meanwhile someone is listening to a cummed-on copy of Deep Purple "In Rock" at 45 rpms at a volume thats way too loud.…"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

Mike_V posted:

Holy poo poo I just checked out Annihilation Time. loving insane. Their description on Last.fm is pretty apt: "Sounds Like : 'Your mother puking after you've forced her at knife point to eat the feces of a 43 year old retarded homeless man (the knife, by the way, says "blood and honor" in German on it but dont ask us where it came from). Meanwhile someone is listening to a cummed-on copy of Deep Purple "In Rock" at 45 rpms at a volume thats way too loud.…"

Wow you've been missing out then. Glad you finally checked them out. They are life changing.