Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?

SubtleDagger posted:

DIY is not necessarily punk, but I'd say most of those bands are probably either hardcore, metalcore or emo/screamo.

At The Fest? You may want to look at those bands again. Andrew Jackson Jihad? The Lawrence Arms? Bomb The Music Industry? The freaking Ergs? None of these bands are even remotely related to hardcore. In fact, many of the bands playing are more pop-punk than anything. The farthest from hardcore. Sure, there may be a few hardcore bands playing, but for the most part The Fest is generally less hardcore/metalcore/emo/screamo than most "punk" fests.

You're right, DIY doesn't necessarily mean punk, but in my opinion it is a fairly necessary component.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

gerfatty posted:

At The Fest? You may want to look at those bands again. Andrew Jackson Jihad? The Lawrence Arms? Bomb The Music Industry? The freaking Ergs? None of these bands are even remotely related to hardcore. In fact, many of the bands playing are more pop-punk than anything. The farthest from hardcore. Sure, there may be a few hardcore bands playing, but for the most part The Fest is generally less hardcore/metalcore/emo/screamo than most "punk" fests.

You're right, DIY doesn't necessarily mean punk, but in my opinion it is a fairly necessary component.
I haven't heard them since I don't listen to a lot of punk, I just saw Ampere, Comadre, Capsule and figured it was a hardcore fest. Meh.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

SubtleDagger posted:

I haven't heard them since I don't listen to a lot of punk, I just saw Ampere, Comadre, Capsule and figured it was a hardcore fest. Meh.

This thread acquired the name "pre-gaming for Fest 7" just a month or so after The Fest 6 last year. I think it's fair to say that The Fest has a good (maybe not balanced) split of the three main genres in this thread's title.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

dudstur posted:

Finally saw let down again saturday night.

Best/most violent straight edge band around.

How did you feel about Damages?

leisure no capi
Sep 22, 2003

Megiddo posted:

I saw Phoenix Bodies and La Quiete tonight, and I just want to say that a crazy house show in Texas in August is not a good idea. Everyone was sweating so much that our hands were pruning, and there was enough sweat and condensation that my minidisc recorder got totally hosed. Also, the naked guys were a bit off-putting. But holy goddamn was it a great show anyway.

Crazy house show at the Panhandle House is always a good idea. Didn't make it to this show because on my way from Kansas City I got in a wreck in Oklahoma. I'll probably never get to see La Quiete, oh well.

Panhandle House loving rules. Last time I was there was for Teenage Cool Kids and Total Abuse there in May when I was back in town. If you don't come out of that house drenched you're doing something wrong. loving Denton crust DIY kids are the best.

Anyways, I got rebirthed into War Hungry after seeing them again recently and I've been killing Return To Earth.

leisure no capi fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 12, 2008

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.

Not an Anthem posted:

Worst Friends Day is August 29-31 too.

Where is this, and who's playing?

SubtleDagger posted:

DIY is not necessarily punk, but I'd say most of those bands are probably either hardcore, metalcore or emo/screamo.

I know all the UK bands I've seen playing would come under the general banner of 'punk'.

inside a pyramid
May 1, 2008
posting to reccommend Robotosaurus (Australia)
possibly touring the US soon

http://www.myspace.com/robotosaurus

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

MattWPBS posted:

Where is this, and who's playing?

Its the party element to Summerfector 2, the fest I posted in Portland. Mostly involves a lot of drinking I think. The best part about the Summerfector flyer is at the bottom it says "leave your dogs at home," referring to the american phenomenon of lovely awful crusty traveler kids abusing dogs to garnish sympathy, so they can get more change when begging.

I am friends with people who put out records for the likes of the ergs and all that whatever you want to call it but to me its not punk or hardcore, its just pop. I'm not into it. Nothing against my friends as some of them work practically 6 days a week on their labels and keep it more DIY than dumbass punk DIY labels, who don't do it all in-house. However, the sound of the music leaves a lot to be desired, personally.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
Let's argue about what "punk" is.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Paper Triangle posted:

Do you know anyone in town? If not, feel free hit me on AIM: Psychoanalyzing and chat. I'm a Gainesville local.

I don't. As my plans start solidifying I will definitely hit you up.

MattWPBS
Jun 17, 2004
I am the law, but an easily bribed kind of law.

Not an Anthem posted:

Its the party element to Summerfector 2, the fest I posted in Portland. Mostly involves a lot of drinking I think. The best part about the Summerfector flyer is at the bottom it says "leave your dogs at home," referring to the american phenomenon of lovely awful crusty traveler kids abusing dogs to garnish sympathy, so they can get more change when begging.

Dammit, I was hoping it was something fun in Richmond. Looks like I'll be near Allentown at the end of August/start of September visiting folks.

But yes, crusty traveller scumbags. Not really met any, but hate them anyway for getting the R5 fest shut down while I was over and had a ticket for Sunday. That was very annoying.

Gourmet Pez
Mar 28, 2008

rivals posted:

Phoenix Bodies had tests of the split on tour with them, they were /150. I picked one up but haven't listened to it yet.

I messaged one of the guys from Phoenix Bodies, asking if they'd be able to mail one or two up to me (canadia :(), but I think I missed him. If anyone has an extra one or something, I'd love one.

Xiu Xiu
Jul 10, 2005

no ricky
stop it ricky
cmon ricky
ricky please
Mag the rapist? Haha, I'm going to Mags house tomorrow for a show. I hope I don't get raped!!

Gourmet Pez
Mar 28, 2008
We still never got any details about Casey being a sketchy guy, and Mag being a rapist.

dudstur
Jun 24, 2008

Sirius Sam posted:

How did you feel about Damages?

damages rules, that night was my second or third time seeing them.

They are heavy, and for some reason them not stopping between songs got me more into it. I know they are local dudes from GR and are friends with my good friend Tim.

Damages, solid band/dudes.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

dudstur posted:

damages rules, that night was my second or third time seeing them.

They are heavy, and for some reason them not stopping between songs got me more into it. I know they are local dudes from GR and are friends with my good friend Tim.

Damages, solid band/dudes.

Yeah, they're good as hell. I used to be in a band with all of those dudes and they're crazy good musicians.

I've talked to Tim a couple times at GR shows. Small world.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

If you missed Nice View on their US tour, you lose at punk. One of the best bands I've ever seen. Had me completely dumbfounded.

dudstur
Jun 24, 2008

Sirius Sam posted:

Yeah, they're good as hell. I used to be in a band with all of those dudes and they're crazy good musicians.

I've talked to Tim a couple times at GR shows. Small world.

Word man, i was really into them.

Tim is one of the coolest dudes, you coming east for the killing the dream or the have heart/ceremony/blacklisted/let down show?

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

MattWPBS posted:

But yes, crusty traveller scumbags. Not really met any, but hate them anyway for getting the R5 fest shut down while I was over and had a ticket for Sunday. That was very annoying.

they didn't get pointless fest shut down, in my eyes. the geniuses who decided to hire FSU to do security at a mostly hardcore/crust fest pretty much got it shut down. i hate people who gossip when they weren't there.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Your Weird Uncle posted:

i hate people who gossip when they weren't there.

Nobody was there because it got shut down. I have talked to Greg many times since then. Crusty kids are 100% to blame and have been for loving up pointless fest and other things, every year, like clockwork.

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

dudstur posted:

Word man, i was really into them.

Tim is one of the coolest dudes, you coming east for the killing the dream or the have heart/ceremony/blacklisted/let down show?

Yeah, both I hope. I'm positive I'll be at Ceremony/Blacklisted and I'll probably only go to Killing The Dream if I can find a ride.

dudstur
Jun 24, 2008

Sirius Sam posted:

Yeah, both I hope. I'm positive I'll be at Ceremony/Blacklisted and I'll probably only go to Killing The Dream if I can find a ride.

The ceremony show is going to be insane.

It is the first time killing the dream will be playing in Michigan, and guaranteed to be an awesome time.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

ClitFest 08 has been awesome, bbq/movies/show today (last day). Chronic Seizure's aftershow surprise was covering angry samoans, gg allin, cro mags, life sentence, bikini kill and more. Ri god drat diculous. Witch Hunt also proved no one cares about them and never has, including people they think are their friends. If anyone should be fired into space sans spacesuit, its those two.

Kim Jong-Chill
Nov 16, 2006

If you don't like swastikas then you DON'T DESERVE A TATTOO

Not an Anthem posted:

Witch Hunt also proved no one cares about them and never has, including people they think are their friends. If anyone should be fired into space sans spacesuit, its those two.

I like Witch Hunt. :smith:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Not an Anthem posted:

ClitFest 08 has been awesome, bbq/movies/show today (last day). Chronic Seizure's aftershow surprise was covering angry samoans, gg allin, cro mags, life sentence, bikini kill and more. Ri god drat diculous. Witch Hunt also proved no one cares about them and never has, including people they think are their friends. If anyone should be fired into space sans spacesuit, its those two.

Goddamn I wish I could have made it.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Kim Jong-Chill posted:

I like Witch Hunt. :smith:

Me too. :smith:

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Death Threat trip report:

loving ridiculous. There was so many 7' tall dudes with beards killing people.

Product of Waste is so loving good.
http://www.myspace.com/productofwaste
do it up

Iridox
Feb 5, 2004

Holy poo poo, the new D4 record is actually going to come out this year.

http://www.punknews.org/article/30127

quote:

Fat has posted a release date and artwork for the highly anticipated new album for Dillinger Four. If any of you doubted that the album would be released this calendar year, banish those doubts now (and confirm for yourself here.)

The record is due out October 14, 2008. It is the follow up to Situationist Comedy which was, ironically, released during the actual Civil War. Sadly, the band did not opt to go with our concept art, perhaps believing that zombies would not provide an adequate amount of gravitas to the project.

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007

Iridox posted:

Holy poo poo, the new D4 record is actually going to come out this year.

http://www.punknews.org/article/30127

I am so loving stoked for this. Could it mean a tour from them coming up? As I have to miss the Scared of Chaka reunion show that they're playing, I really really hope so.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Back to college last Wednesday and couldn't sleep the night before, but I listened to the new Gaslight Anthem album on my way to school and holy poo poo it cheered me up. Awesome summer album.

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

Parachute Underwear posted:

Back to college last Wednesday and couldn't sleep the night before, but I listened to the new Gaslight Anthem album on my way to school and holy poo poo it cheered me up. Awesome summer album.

Agreed. School is starting soon for me too, so I drove to my favorite mountain bike spot. After riding, I listened to this on the way home, knowing it was one of the last times I could ride at noon on a Wednesday for a long time. It was good.

DRD
Aug 8, 2008

Parachute Underwear posted:

I listened to the new Gaslight Anthem album on my way to school and holy poo poo it cheered me up. Awesome summer album.

I just saw them a few days ago at Vintage Vinyl in NJ. It was a great show, nice and small.

I've been back and forth on this all summer, but right now I like The 59' Sound better than Sink or Swim. I think the softer vocals work better with their style.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..
Apparently React With Protest released another compilation, Emo Annihilation. Anyone listen to this yet? It has Comadre, Titan, June Paik, and various other bands.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
I've lurked this thread and it sounds like there are some other posters from the bay area here. Anyone else going to see the Cobra Skulls tomorrow (Friday the 22nd) in San Francisco? They are playing at Thee Parkside. I wanted to catch them at the Gilman since that's closer to me but I won't be in town. Apparently one of the members just left the band like yesterday so I hope everything goes smooth at the show.

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007

PlesantDilemma posted:

I've lurked this thread and it sounds like there are some other posters from the bay area here. Anyone else going to see the Cobra Skulls tomorrow (Friday the 22nd) in San Francisco? They are playing at Thee Parkside. I wanted to catch them at the Gilman since that's closer to me but I won't be in town. Apparently one of the members just left the band like yesterday so I hope everything goes smooth at the show.

Unfortunately, no I won't be attending that show as I am also out of town... However, I will be attending their show the next night at Gilman. Looks like we'll just miss each other.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha
Well I just finished a 2 month trip of Europe and managed not to see a single emo band.

gently caress.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Just found out Ampere is playing here in a few days :monocle:

hell yes. next 2 weeks is so nuts.

08/26 - Ceremony, Product of Waste, The Carrier
08/26 - Terror, The Warriors, Death Before Dishonor, CDC, Trapped Under Ice (i think i'd rather go to ceremony)
08/28 - local bands
08/30 - Bracewar, Reign Supreme
08/31 - Ampere
09/07 - Cold World

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace

gerfatty posted:

Unfortunately, no I won't be attending that show as I am also out of town... However, I will be attending their show the next night at Gilman. Looks like we'll just miss each other.

haha so close. maybe we can meet up for another show sometime. I just got back from tonights show and missed the Cobra Skulls. I got all mixed up on Muni and arrived an hour late so I just saw Gunner, The New Trust, and one song of Olehole. Gunner was pretty good I'm gonna keep my eyes open for them.

Bohemian Stairbird
Aug 10, 2007

I don't know if it's really the right place for this, but These Arms Are Snakes put a song from their new album Tail Swallower & Dove up on their myspace. It's Red Line Season if you couldn't tell.
Anyway, I'm a fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Ozean posted:

I don't know if it's really the right place for this, but These Arms Are Snakes put a song from their new album Tail Swallower & Dove up on their myspace. It's Red Line Season if you couldn't tell.
Anyway, I'm a fan.

TAAS is awesome. I'm stoked for the new album.